Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    My roommate got the GameInformer issue with Skyrim in it. OMG!! Love the screenshots and that article just made me so excited for this game. This and ME 3...Can't WAIT!
  • daphz
  • metalliandy
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Markarth01.jpg

Fap fap fap fap
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    That screenshot looks very... shadowless..
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really liked the thing they did for Oblivion where they had a 30 second gameplay clip to countdown the release. I hope they do something like that again.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    woah, nice architecture! cant wait for more
    Skamberin wrote: »
    lolwut
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte wrote: »
    woah, nice architecture! cant wait for more

lolwut

Yep. No solid shadows as far as I can see.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    um, yes. but it still looks great, and thats damn first screenshot from damn tes5
    lets cross fingers, maybe they will do something with those shadows. In general, design and art directing looks cool so far.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod

I assume they just haven't switched on SSAO yet. after that, though.. :O

though, honestly? it's better than being given bullshots.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally read the GI Article:

-Uses Havok Behavior to improve animation blends and how physics affect them.

- World no longer freezes when you talk to people nor does the camera zoom into their face, NPC's whom you talk with while they are working will keep working and alternate between their current action and the conversation with you.

-Shadows confirmed to be everywhere in the game (guess they are not turned on in that screen) along with a better view distance and way of handling LOD.

- Radiant AI now works closer to STALKER's A-Life than what Oblivion had. For example, NPC's may pick up a weapon you drop in a town and return it to you, fight with another npc over who gets it, steal it and use it for themselves or probably cash it in.

NPC's may also ask you for training or a duel or somesuch in relation to a skill you have mastered, or the Radiant Story system might create a quest around it.

- Radiant Story means that, for instance: Assassination Quests may now be randomly generated based upon how far you are in the game, your rep, your skill, who you have met and what you are currently doing, it also creates random encounters in the wilderness.

A lot of works seems to have been put into making sure the Radiant Story Quest system doesn't detract from the main quests too much or overwhelm the player (this is excellent).

-Weather now directly affects the environment, for instance: snow will collect on trees brushes and stones.

- New engine is called Creation Engine and comes with an SDK.

Well now, colour me impressed, and positively hyped.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Screenshot is more of an unfortunate sun coming from the absolute top of the sky.

If there were no shadows, the inside of the tower would not be that dark.

edit: visible shadow to the left of the rock under the tower, in the background.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno if that's shadowing in the tower. That's probably just a texture darkening effect.

What does look like a shadow to me is the arch on the bottom left of the image. You have the top of a building with an arched beam right along the side of the roof. That's seemingly casting some sort of shadow on the side of the building.

Edit: Now that I look at it some more, they probably disabled distance shadows. Top down lighting is hard to judge, but there's a slightly different appearance to the stuff in the distance. I wouldn't be surprised if we get more screenshots that clearly have shadows in them.

Looking from the magazine, you could clearly see there were no shadows on certain things in the landscape, but you also had instances of little wooden fences casting a shadow or a troll doing self shadowing.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    You guys are crazy. I can assure you we have shadows.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yes, we're crazy. Anyway what I want to see is the water on those waterfalls. From a distance (and not in motion) they look like silk :D
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    e_x, pics or g.. i mean or it didnt happen!
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    conte wrote: »
    e_x, pics or g.. i mean or it didnt happen!

Haha. If you look at the shots from the magazine you can see tons of shadowing! Like the self shadowing on the giant and on the troll. Also the giant spider is casting one on the wall of ice too.
  • conte
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    e_x wrote: »
    Haha. If you look at the shots from the magazine you can see tons of shadowing! Like the self shadowing on the giant and on the troll. Also the giant spider is casting one on the wall of ice too.

I think the suspicion is around if there's a maximum shadow distance, or if it's just sampled down at further out distances.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also I am not saying it doesn't look like there are NO shadows, I mean environemtal shadows :P but time will tell, I almost don't care because of how awesome that GI article made the actual game sound.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I've never known anyone so hung up on shadows. Seriously, an entire page talking about shadows?! :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    PogoP wrote: »
    I've never known anyone so hung up on shadows. Seriously, an entire page talking about shadows?! :)

We're talking about a series well known for its lack of environmental shadows. :P
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I missed out on Morrowind. For some reason, I just couldn't get into it at that age. I didn't make the same mistake with Oblivion. When it first came out, I was blown away. I couldn't believe it was a video game, it felt more like I was reading a book, but in complete control. It's still in my top 10 favorite video games, but since I started working with environment art and as the game aged, Oblivion slowly lost a little of it's magic. I guess that is inevitable and to be expected.

But after reading this thread and watching these videos... For just a short second while the Skyrim theme was playing, I felt that sense of awe and adventure return full force. You may consider me excited.

I send my thanks to everyone on the Skyrim team lurking here at Polycount.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    It's funny how music can totally pull everything together. I was kind of "meh" regarding this game until I watched the behind the scenes on the sound design. Damn that theme gave me chills. I'm debating about playing some Oblivion when I go home now...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    praetus wrote: »
    It's funny how music can totally pull everything together. I was kind of "meh" regarding this game until I watched the behind the scenes on the sound design. Damn that theme gave me chills. I'm debating about playing some Oblivion when I go home now...

or hit the prison boat to morrowind, listen to this variant of nerevar rising, and you'll never look back:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxbddCJsXp0[/ame]

And then when you're picking mushrooms for the mages guild while exploring ancient dwemer ruins, things just wont get any better.. but then this song starts playing:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whhrh1Lgbs4[/ame]
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Is there a video or audio link anywhere of the full Skyrim theme? :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    Is there a video or audio link anywhere of the full Skyrim theme? :(

Sons of skyrim part:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMwoEPYtx9k[/ame]

Morrowind skyrim part:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbFlSPK1spg[/ame]

but nothing more :(
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Finally read the GI Article:

Well now, colour me impressed, and positively hyped.

Yeah, me too. From that article it sounds like they have really paid attention to the common gripes about the last one, and tried to rectify them. Now I just have to wait a year. Hmmmm....
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    10 months. Sounds so much shorter than a year!
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear wrote: »
    10 months. Sounds so much shorter than a year!

Agreed. Can't wait! (please no co-op *crosses fingers*)
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They explicitly use the term single player in the game informer, I don't think they'd shoot for co-op with all the other changes.
  • bounchfx
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    bear610ed.jpg

Birds, a whipping-tentacle monster and a very angry and surprised looking bear?! This game is going to be mindblowing!

Edit - just watched the video. Looks spectacular! About the soundtrack, it seems a lot more suspenseful and less melodic than the previous games' soundtracks. I imagine the game being more atmospheric as a result (if thats even possible!). It sort of reminds me of some of the music from World of Warcraft.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    "Whipping-Tentacle monster" or a dead Mammoth...you decide! :D
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That concept art is lacking in shadows! ;)

That actually looks like a wooly mammoth with an extra set of tusks for extra awesome. That's really nice though and I hope some of the scenery is like that.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Tyler wrote: »
    Thats a mammoth tusk, not a tentacle

Edit: damnit, Geezus :P

Pffft...I'm going with "Whipping-Tentacle Monster". Shit's awesome.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Not enough tentacles in game art in general, I gotta say. Which is surprising, considering the amount of female characters there are.

We need more tentacles. The tentacle will have its day!

dayofthetentaclescreeny1190609580-1.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah come on, let me dream about whipping-tentacle monsters damnit!

PS - I feel rather silly haha.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    PogoP wrote: »
    Yeah come on, let me dream about whipping-tentacle monsters damnit!

PS - I feel rather silly haha.

Haha, We have this as a large printout on our wall. I won't lie...The first time I walked by it I thought "WHOAH! Frost Cthulhu!?" :D
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like being negative, but it all looks terribly boring. Nords are just vikings and they're not even trying to hide it. Sounds boring too, they've got an epic soundtrack, and if there's one thing that's overdone, it's things being epic.

It's a shame, because I was hoping Bethesda had picked up some creativity after the backlash from Oblivion or having gotten to work with Fallout.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Not enough tentacles in game art in general, I gotta say. Which is surprising, considering the amount of female characters there are.

We need more tentacles. The tentacle will have its day!

dayofthetentaclescreeny1190609580-1.jpg

Love the video, but I love DotT too! :poly124:
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    I don't like being negative, but it all looks terribly boring. Nords are just vikings and they're not even trying to hide it. Sounds boring too, they've got an epic soundtrack, and if there's one thing that's overdone, it's things being epic.

It's a shame, because I was hoping Bethesda had picked up some creativity after the backlash from Oblivion or having gotten to work with Fallout.

If anything the design and the land of skyrim is way more conan than viking.

Besides, bloodmoon was pretty awesome.

edit: Am I still the only one seeing the conan movie inspirations all over elderscrolls?
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

One of the reasons I liked Morrowind so much is that despite the fact that the game was made on a continent made of ash, it was full of life and was pretty diverse overall.

While the entire game might have plenty of snow and vikings, I'm sure they'll really dig deep and bring some character into the game. I don't have too many worries about that.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod

DISAGREE

Vikings are the best fucking part ! Why would they hide it?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Arcanox wrote: »
    One of the reasons I liked Morrowind so much is that despite the fact that the game was made on a continent made of ash, it was full of life and was pretty diverse overall.

While the entire game might have plenty of snow and vikings, I'm sure they'll really dig deep and bring some character into the game. I don't have too many worries about that.

This. Vvardenfell was basically just ash and mushrooms, but still had a way more interesting setting and locale compared to cyrodil which had the benefit of neighboring several different landscape types.

The snow will just make it feel like a dangerous place again just like the agressive plants and mushrooms did in morrowind.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »

edit: Am I still the only one seeing the conan movie inspirations all over elderscrolls?

No way man. I think Howard or someone mentioned that they've always drawn inspiration from Conan. I heard once that the Conan soundtrack was the unofficial Morrowind soundtrack.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    The new Creation Engine provides more impressive draw distances and a significantly improved dynamic lighting system.

Snowfall will land on objects and accumulate over time.

The Radiant AI system has been heavily improved, with NPCs reacting to characters behaviour realistically. Turning up uninvited to a friendly NPC’s house will prompt them to offer you lodgings.

Havok’s new Behavior system will be used to generate exceptionally fluid animations.

The less-than-well-received third person view from Oblivion is gone, replaced with a greatly improved one.

An organic side-quest management system – known as Radiant Story – will direct you to areas you’ve yet to explore by placing quest objectives in undiscovered dungeons.

Side quests will be “conditionalized”, meaning they will adapt to what you’re character has done in their past and create objectives based on who you’ve become.

Random encounters will feature, one of which has been confirmed to be a pack of wolves attacking a mammoth.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    You mean, a pack of BEARS attacking a WHIPPING TENTACLE!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    jakelear wrote: »
    No way man. I think Howard or someone mentioned that they've always drawn inspiration from Conan. I heard once that the Conan soundtrack was the unofficial Morrowind soundtrack.

Yeah, and it still lingers in the morrowind soundtrack, rest in peace poledouris.

I'm hoping they've done something with their scripting language, the one they've used since morrowind has been so crude and basic.