Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    what! more shots!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Perhaps I'll go and pick up this issue from gamestop. Those images are too grainy and hard to read!

What date does it come out again?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    next they'll tell me they removed level scaling and re introduced more armor slots.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Something about the level up hud screams sci-fi to me. Maybe it's the font or the use sharp silver progression shapes.

Yes, more shots. When it comes to images for games I'm interested in I'm the man who seeks them out.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    The "shit adjusts to your skills, yo!" confuses me a bit. It's written in such unclear way that it could mean anything, from Oblivion-like level scalling to procedurally generated quests like in Daggerfal.

The game looks damn nice! Shadows are welcome and the art direction looks much more interesting. Streamlining sounds a bit risky, but if it's done without compromising the game's complexity and writing then I'm all for it. It's about time we should get rid of some of the artifacts from pen and paper RPG's.

I'll wait for better scans and more info. In all honesty, that GI article was full of marketing bullshit speak and didn't tell me anything I really care about.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    They called it "radiant story" which makes it sound like the way they called the ai "radiant ai"

Meaning, it could possibly be a new variation on the daggerfall style quest system, which could potentially be very interesting.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, from what I recall Radiant AI didn't make it for Oblivion, but I doubt it was scrapped. I'm eagerly awaiting for more info.

I'm only pissed off that GI has exclusivity for the time being. Can't wait for some European mags to get a hold of it.
  • Habboi
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    eld wrote: »
    They called it "radiant story" which makes it sound like the way they called the ai "radiant ai"

Meaning, it could possibly be a new variation on the daggerfall style quest system, which could potentially be very interesting.
    It wasn't scrapped, but the way PR spun it was that it was "toned down" due to conflicts in quests and NPC's stealing from the PC.

Going to start reading in a second, I just hope to God they decided to make the level-scaling less extreme (something more like Morrowind's) and didn't remove even more skills/spells this go round.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Do people not own scanners anymore? They even got them in printers now! GOD!

/Rant, in Napoleon Dynamites voice

Are those volumetric clouds in that one mountain pic (A new land)? My balls will beg me for mercy if they are.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Since people are asking, wanted to briefly touch on level scaling. All our games have had some amount of randomness/levelling based on player level. Skyrim's is similar to Fallout 3's, not Oblivion's.

Hope that addresses some concerns, and we hope you're enjoying the GI cover story.

Have a great night
    http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1156332-is-level-scaling-backnoooooooooooo/page__st__40__p__16933097#entry16933097

^^
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Okay as it's confirmed, I'm saving up money for new computer.

Also I've played Oblivion last night; drunk and I did way too much silly stuff, Killing whole Imperial City and Anvil with god mode, found my character to be naked, my bounty is huge.

Whilst you are drunk you can do a lot of stupid stuff in Oblivion.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It wasn't scrapped, but the way PR spun it was that it was "toned down" due to conflicts in quests and NPC's stealing from the PC.

Going to start reading in a second, I just hope to God they decided to make the level-scaling less extreme (something more like Morrowind's) and didn't remove even more skills/spells this go round.

I think there were a lot of plans with radiant AI, but in the end it wasn't completely finished for oblivion, it's still in there, but not in the way that was talked about, like with much other things that were cut to due to time (?)

But with skyrim they now have several games and experience behind them, including that on the gameplay, so hopefully they'll get this radiant story right.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Preorder. All I wanted to hear.

Actually no. I still have to hear more about stealthy characters, handplaced loot and challenges for high level characters before I make a preorder.But I will buy it anyway :poly142:
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Also, shadows seems pretty much visually confirmed, but is that normal-up dynamic snow application on props?
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    So I didn't play Fallout 3. Can someone explain briefly how their level scaling was handled in comparison to Oblivion?
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    When this comes out I am locking myself in my comp room and blasting the conan soundtrack.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    In Fallout 3 you could die to higher level things even at the max level. The way it scaled was that you had less of a chance to encounter horribly high level stuff early in the game. But there were places where high level things roamed aplenty, and could easily kill you. It was nowhere near the terribleness of Oblivion, it was usable, you felt powerful against regular enemies and real tough enemies gave you a challenge.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Rayph wrote: »
    When this comes out I am locking myself in my comp room and blasting the conan soundtrack.

My first quest will be breaking into a tower of a cult and steal jewels, after that the king of the region will take me in to steal back his daughter.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh. scanner fail. i got a new scanner recently and when i tried scanning a magazine i too got the grainy results. cant handle the dots on the page.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Skamberin wrote: »
    In Fallout 3 you could die to higher level things even at the max level. The way it scaled was that you had less of a chance to encounter horribly high level stuff early in the game. But there were places where high level things roamed aplenty, and could easily kill you. It was nowhere near the terribleness of Oblivion, it was usable, you felt powerful against regular enemies and real tough enemies gave you a challenge.

Thanks for the summary, sounds like that'll be nice to experience in Skyrim. I wasn't terribly bothered by Oblivion's level scaling, but I won't argue with something better. :thumbup:

It's difficult to tell from these scans, but one thing I really hope is improved upon graphically (other than things mentioned like faces/shadows), is the water. God oh god the water was a disappointment in Oblivion. It was a beautiful game but when compared to things like Half-Life 2's water alongside it...just...no.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    00Zero wrote: »
    ugh. scanner fail. i got a new scanner recently and when i tried scanning a magazine i too got the grainy results. cant handle the dots on the page.

I'm rather glad that all of the scans I've seen of the magazine have been horrible. I think people will be more inclined to purchase the magazine, in order to fully appreciate the quality of the screenshots. Really, the scans do not do the content justice in the slightest bit.

I'm glad everyone is pleased. Makes me happy in the panties. :D
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    I think there were a lot of plans with radiant AI, but in the end it wasn't completely finished for oblivion, it's still in there, but not in the way that was talked about, like with much other things that were cut to due to time (?)

But with skyrim they now have several games and experience behind them, including that on the gameplay, so hopefully they'll get this radiant story right.
    You're much more optimistic than myself. Seeing that there was really no improvement in AI from Oblivion to Fallout 3, I'm leaving myself wondering if they'll "pimp" the new AI system only to "scale it back" at a later date. I don't think any of that system was ever in place and was more of a preview of what they thought they could pull off but ultimately could not.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that concerns me a bit is it looks like they're going after celebrity voices again. As was said in that 15 Things We Want article posted earlier, I'd rather they hire some voice actors that can do a wide range of voices and give more diversity rather than spending money on celebrity voices that won't even enhance the game much.
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    One thing that concerns me a bit is it looks like they're going after celebrity voices again. As was said in that 15 Things We Want article posted earlier, I'd rather they hire some voice actors that can do a wide range of voices and give more diversity rather than spending money on celebrity voices that won't even enhance the game much.
    More like won't enhance the game at all; Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart were terrible in Oblivion, so I would much rather they hire some professional voice-actors who might actually try to do a decent job instead of celebrities that phone it in to collect a pay-check.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Docm30 wrote: »
    More like won't enhance the game at all; Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart were terrible in Oblivion, so I would much rather they hire some professional voice-actors who might actually try to do a decent job instead of celebrities that phone it in to collect a pay-check.

I thought they did quite a good job with Oblivion, very good for a 2006 release.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Didn't it say something in the article that they're using more voiceactors this time around?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    You're much more optimistic than myself. Seeing that there was really no improvement in AI from Oblivion to Fallout 3, I'm leaving myself wondering if they'll "pimp" the new AI system only to "scale it back" at a later date. I don't think any of that system was ever in place and was more of a preview of what they thought they could pull off but ultimately could not.

They surprised us quite alot with writing a new rendering engine, doing some really good looking character art this time around, and having full shadows, hopefully good things have happened to the AI considering how much they say their new dynamic questing system plays into it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't it say something in the article that they're using more voiceactors this time around?

Maybe. I didn't read every page. Waiting until I get a copy of the magazine or some better scans to do that. Of the few pages I did read though, I saw that the voice of one of the main people is an actor that was in Minority Report and Shutter Island.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Patrick Stewart

Hey! Leave that guy alone, he's a legend :D Anyway it looks like I can't dump my loot behind a brick wall like I used to. Otherwise some kid will steal it :<
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah hard to find GI here, and even then it costs about a week's worth of food XD Will be waiting for PCGamer too :D
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    ill scan some better images in when i get my copy
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks willy-wilson, much appreciated.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe. I didn't read every page. Waiting until I get a copy of the magazine or some better scans to do that. Of the few pages I did read though, I saw that the voice of one of the main people is an actor that was in Minority Report and Shutter Island.

Sounds like they talk about max von sydow, the voice in the trailer, he was in both those movies, his voice is perfect for this game :P,

And as a mentioned way earlier, he plays one of the best roles ever in conan the barbarian.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    oh wow, those WORDS sounds so great, very well said etc but
    WHEN the hell we will be able to see some PIXELS? :|
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No real news on the engine, it's "new" but what exactly does that mean. I'm endless skeptic.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    While scouting some forums a guy ranted about what he called were idiots. Reason being was that he claimed they weren't using Gamebryo and linked like 6 articles as proof. I never read them because his first link was dun dun dun Wikipedia.

All I care about is stability. They could sell the game with Morrowind visuals so long as it didn't lag.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure after the Massive success of Oblivion and Fallout 3 they have learned from their mistakes. They've hired a good amount of new talent and it shows (visually only cause thats all we got).

Have to wait for the reveal I guess, Just hope they don't get a Assassins Creed Glitch type thing, ahaha lol.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Can't wait, looks like a big upgrade across the board, the gameplay details are all on the money, Bethesda clearly know how to listen to the worthwhile feedback internally and externally.

I wish it were xmas already, my anticipation is at a full 10 for this one.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I just can't wait for it myself, and I hear we will be getting the first shots and serious info in the next few weeks... Good times ahead, regardless.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    im a huge elder scrolls fan, can't wait for Skyrim.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Extra picture I never noticed before. Sorry about the quality but not one person in this world knows how to scan.

esskyrimscan5.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    That... Well, first glance, that looks like a lower detail Oblvion :s You sure thats not from some other tame?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    You call yourself an artist? :D The visual style and the orange comment box all match up with the other shots. Also there's a bit of another picture below it that looks like the one with the skeletons in the cave picture.

Love that sword!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    That... Well, first glance, that looks like a lower detail Oblvion :s You sure thats not from some other tame?

lol wut.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Wait, OTHER shots...? I wasn't aware there were more!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    Wait, OTHER shots...? I wasn't aware there were more!

I know its common courtesy to not read previous pages in any forum on the internet, but I suggest you do, for you'll find quite some screenshots :P
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, now THOSE have me sold, much better.

My point was mainly that it was quite an empty pic with only a few trees (Unlike Oblivions complete forests) but now I've seen the other pics... Weeeeeeeeeeee :D
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    behind the scenes of bethesda!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/10/video-behind-the-scenes-of-skyrim.aspx

videos like this make me so impatient for breaking in to the industry someday...
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Then work hard and you'll eat hearty!

Thanks for that, it was an awesome video. I said out loud "Damnit" when they quickly blurred out the level design screen. Nice environment to work in actually.