Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• fusedgore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    I like that BoomStick or whatever your calling it as long as it explodes when you hit someone
  • sconlogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel like I'm a bit late to the party. I guess! Some amazing and inspiring work in this thread, wish I had found it earlier!!

Here is my submission that was accepted by Valve in the "Australian Christmas" update. I have to say I was a bit shocked when I saw it in there!
    5296939454_c4bb101986.jpg
    5296342347_f4236d9b65.jpg
    5296342483_459153aaf4.jpg
    Not sure what to do now. I would actually like to update these textures and create a better shader blend since I stumbled through it the first time. Can you update something once it's accepted? I also was thinking of a whole Spartan themed set, but I'm feeling that may not fly. Perhaps I should go in a completely different direction. and perhaps keep it simple and just focus on one item. This was great fun to make but a weapon is what I really feel like shooting for now. time to get crackin'.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Like this?

betterorno.png
    Submit it as The Bam Hammer.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I would have chosen a different yellow, or no yellow for that matter. The hammer does not fit with the demo man color scheme (look at the yellow on the grenades and demoman logo)
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cooler yellow would fit better with the blu demo. Make it a little warmer, more orange, and it'll be perfect for the red demo.
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    @Tehrasha: Well damn, I went through the TF2 company list and tried to find one that was not related to farming or gold mining, I guess i should have done some more research :P And Mann CO seems like the most common choice, which is why I didn't really wanna use that. I guess I'll have to play around with it some more :)

@Communist Cake: First thing that came to mind was King De De De's hammer in SSBB, not that it matters because it's awesome! I have to agree with the others on the yellow though.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I think I'm beginning to finish up on my wrench. Colour scheme wise its now based off the southern hospiltality. However, whilst I was looking around FPSbanana I saw a team coloured SH, and wondered what my one would look like team coloured. Heres what I came up with:
    team_colours_orNOtc.jpg
    Do you think team coloured is the way to go. Or should I just stick with the neutral?

@Communist cake:

I have to agree with the others about the yellow. For the red team, generally a more orangey yellow is used, and on BLU its brighter. Like on the Engineer. Apart from that...WOW!
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ColonelBD: I think the neutral looks better, the colors are too distracting. Maybe you could make the grip team-colored, and make the stripes orange for RED and yellow for BLU.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    pierate:
    Trench knives are rarely made of one material, usually the brassknuckle part is made of .. brass with a wooden handle or just bare brass. The knife itself is steel, but mostly they share the same coat of paint, thus maybe how some wear on the handle part where the paint has worn away and reveals the brass colour.

Oh and sharpen the edges of the blade to show some bright naked steel, to enhance the sharpness of the blade.

model-1918-trench-knife-US-mark-I-knuckle-knife-landers-frary-clark-ww1-world-war-one-two-9.jpg
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ColonelBD I agree that the neutral colors look better. The texture on the head of the wrench looks a little weird to me. I've never seen a wrench with a warning-stripe design on the top. I understand that the reason is to fill in an otherwise boring area, but the stripes themselves look a little odd. Perhaps you could make them larger or try out different designs.
  • ColonelBD
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ColonelBD Looks good, but what about the orange/yellow stripes on the top?
    @ColonelBD

That certainly looks nice, but I can't help thinking that something is missing... Maybe make it more wider opened?
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    @ColonelBD I agree that the neutral colors look better. The texture on the head of the wrench looks a little weird to me. I've never seen a wrench with a warning-stripe design on the top. I understand that the reason is to fill in an otherwise boring area, but the stripes themselves look a little odd. Perhaps you could make them larger or try out different designs.

I agree with RedSheep, just keep the colors neutral. no need for team colors. There's enough team colors on the guy's uniform to serve the purpose. Leave the tool neutral colored. I would suggest putting an embedded company logo on the top. Most wrench tools have embedded giant company logos on their tool products....
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought abut that too, the reason the heads are that close together is so it doesn't clip with his hand. I'll see if i can make it wider though.

@Shakersilver: TBH I actually forgot about editing the stripes. I'll add it in next update.

@Redsheep: I understand they do look wierd there. But to be honest I can't really think about what else I could put there whilst still keeping it visually interresting.

Although I like what Dashtoronto said about the giant logos. Time to dig around on the Wiki!
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Submit it as The Bam Hammer.

seconded :thumbup:
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    work in progress, hat for the sniper(not final texture) any tips or improvements to the model texture etc? thanks in advance3517mmh.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    @ doughnut bear: Not to shatter you or your model, but the new pyromancers mask looks exactly like what you are doing. If you want to continue, that's great, but I think you should know there is already a hat similar to the, but for pyro.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    @ doughnut bear: Not to shatter you or your model, but the new pyromancers mask looks exactly like what you are doing. If you want to continue, that's great, but I think you should know there is already a hat similar to the, but for pyro.

ya when that came out i was like o crap, but i think ima gonna contunue anyways im going for a hat not a mask and im thinking of adding some tribal paint or something
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    ya when that came out i was like o crap, but i think ima gonna contunue anyways im going for a hat not a mask and im thinking of adding some tribal paint or something

When you paint the Pyromancer's Mask it looks a bit like tribal paint on it just so you know.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Hey guys,

For the spy, I wonder if the 8000 tri limit applies to watches ? I mean. Does the watch + the weapon in the same view (viewmodels of course) should be under 8k ?
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although guidelines aren't strict limits, I think that 8k tris is really pushing it for a watch... how are you getting up that high?

Keep the tris as low as possible (I'd think no more than 3k for a watch) as after all the ambassador is notorious for its excessive triangles :)

canteen.jpg
    This is an old canteen model that I picked back up now that I actually know how to place it on the soldier's belt - I'm going to redo the textures to make the color match the coat color and actually use a stencil font for the lettering this time :)
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back with my cart. Baked the AO and done blocking out the colors. Maps are 2048 for all the stuff on top and 1024 for the base, which was made from the existing cart_base_separate texture, with few AO changes. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions and criticism before I go into details. I'm not too sure about the stockings, and the thing they're hanging from. I tried a blueish-tinted red. Maybe it should be pure red for both teams? What do you think. Also, congrats to everyone who got their stuff in game. If only I made this thing a bit faster :P Still may put it on FPSbanana or sht alike, maybe someone would be interested.

Wip41.jpg

Wip43.jpg

Wip45.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad Mike wrote: »
    I'm back with my cart. Baked the AO and done blocking out the colors. Maps are 2048 for all the stuff on top and 1024 for the base, which was made from the existing cart_base_separate texture, with few AO changes. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions and criticism before I go into details. I'm not too sure about the stockings, and the thing they're hanging from. I tried a blueish-tinted red. Maybe it should be pure red for both teams? What do you think. Also, congrats to everyone who got their stuff in game. If only I made this thing a bit faster :P Still may put it on FPSbanana or sht alike, maybe someone would be interested.
    Wip41.jpg

Wip43.jpg

Wip45.jpg

looks really nice sadly it couldn't make it in for the holidays, oh well happy holidays :P
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    When you paint the Pyromancer's Mask it looks a bit like tribal paint on it just so you know.

painted_skull.jpg

was thinking along the lines off this
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Mad Mike wrote: »

Wip41.jpg

Wip43.jpg

Wip45.jpg

Hey man, I love it, but make sure you add in some wear into the texturing!
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seconded.

I've ran into a snag with the giant logo idea. Because of the UV's co-ordinates, any text I add in is mirrored on the other side. So it just looks looks wierd. I'll see if I can come up with an alternative, but to be honest, i'm personally leaning toward keeping the stripes ATM.

I've added the logo to the side of the wrench instead. Its a little blurry when viewed up close, but I think it turned out all right.

tisnotblurry.jpgdisisnotNRMmapped.jpg
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe you could weather the stripe a bit so they don't jump out at you.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kinda like the logo. Honestly I think that you could ditch the stripes and just open the wrench a little bit. It looks kind of strange closed. You could make it like this:
    monkey_wrench_big.jpg
    I just think the space makes it look nicer. Imagine what the normal wrench would look like closed.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    I kinda like the logo. Honestly I think that you could ditch the stripes and just open the wrench a little bit. It looks kind of strange closed. You could make it like this:
    monkey_wrench_big.jpg
    I just think the space makes it look nicer. Imagine what the normal wrench would look like closed.

as said before he thinks that would cause clipping issues.

What I'd say weirds me out about the wrench (nothing personal) is that the head appears to be uniformly wide all the way through which compared to the wrench in the image does seem a bit weird (not just compared to the image, the image is more of an example)

otherwise nice job

and the stripes are visually distracting as well...
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Redsheep:

This open enough?
    longer_wrench.jpg

@The_Scrub:

The reason it's so wide is make it seem more menacing and dangerous. I know it's a wierd design, but personally I think it gives the wrench more style. I just felt it needed extra something to set it apart from the other wrenches. Thats partly what the stripes were for as well.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I like the model itself, but I don't like the way the safety stripes look so perfect and masked. Maybe a little bit of battle damage might be nice too, down to the bare metal.
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Hi guys, lots of great stuff in here. Here is my try:
    1o2hrb.jpg
    Its racoon bob. I sould help soldier to steer during flight.
    But I run into 2 problem i have no idea how to solve:
    1. bones have some problems with orientations eg. pith axis behaves as roll, so tail can't go us or down. How do I fix this? I use 3ds for rig.
    2. In 3ds my racoon and physic model have same position, but in tf2 hit box has offset and some rotation. What the hell is going on??
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ColonelBD That looks a lot better, nice. I agree with Norron, now it only needs some wear, you could make the stripes near the striking end on the wrench be ribbed/whacked off and overall just add some cuts and scrapes. It looks really nice so far.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean sort of like this:
    nowwithextrascratches.jpg

The scratches are based of the ones on the pain train. I am concerned that the stripes are now a bit too realistic for TF2, but I don't know if thats just me.

If this is the kind of thing your looking for, should I do something simular to the lower jaw? As in the first person view, it seems to be the top part that seems to be the end thats taking the brunt of the hits.
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got my hats ingame.

hatsi.jpg
    Dr.cube wrote: »

hatsb.jpg
    They both looks excellent. Fine job!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of you mirrored the dang Pyro! Cool hats. I'd like to echo the suggestion of putting tape on the mohawk though so it looks like there's something gripping it to his head.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @colonelBD Yes, that is pretty much what I meant. Although I think it would look nicer if you toned down the wear a little bit but make it very noticeable on the edges, and yes you should do a similar approach to the lower clamp (but maybe not as strongly). Also, like I said before, I think you should consider widening the stripes (that includes the spaces too). That would make it seem more cartoon-y and also not appear as visually distracting.

@ Dr.Cube Those both turned out very well. I particularly enjoy the Heavy's space helmet.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, could you tell me why theres no weapons or player folder in my tf>models folder?
    Yes i'm talking about inside the gcf.
    Edit: Found it, was looking inside the wrong gcf!
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11

hatsi.jpg
    Must.. have.. spacehelm!
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second the spacehelm wantingness. It is...win.
  • Mnemosynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I revamped my Demo Shield in honor of the new Medieval Mode. I also released it on FPSBanana just in time for Christmas! http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/106904

shield4.png
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

hatsi.jpg

I like it, but I don't like what it does to pulling off headshots.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really do like that Mohawk, and that shield is REALLY nice, can't understand why there are medals there though, does seem a bit off.

more_wear.jpg

I've redone the stripes as Redsheep said, and added in some wear onto the lower jaw.

I'am thinking of calling it something like Ol' Faithfull, or the Dusty Demolisher, but those are just quick suggestions, so they're not final.
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scan10006small.jpg

Current Projectname: "The Overflyer" or "The High-Flyer"

On Christmas I came up with an idea for a replacement of the Engineer-Teleporter and thought of something like a catapult. This building allows every class to jump over or on high obstacles and creates shortcuts and new flank-tatics in already pretty known maps. It's a bit like a rocket or sticky jump, but just without getting explosion damage. It may also have three levels like every other usuall building but the level-ups are just shorten the cooldown time between the jump, not the power or direction of the jump itself.

catapult01.jpg

It's just a first test of this, but I found out that the building part of this thing will be a bit more problematic than other buildings are. Unlike the Sentry, Dispencer or Teleporter, the High-Flyer needs has big plate-like parts, which can't be extended to the final form, otherwise it wouldn't be solid enough to let the heavy jump with it XD.

The Levelups will change the power source for kinetic energy. On Level one it will be a spring, on Level 2 I wanne use an Engine or something on it and on Level 3 it may use some nuclear power that has a pretty fast cooldown.
    On second thought, this building may can places on a wall as well, allowing players to use it as some kind of speed up, but I am not into this kind of idea atm. cause i personally don't know how it will look like as well as how it would affect the gameplay itself.
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I revamped my Demo Shield in honor of the new Medieval Mode. I also released it on FPSBanana just in time for Christmas! http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/106904

shield4.png

Digging the 1st two, not so much the third. Personally I think they'd be better as props for the medieval theme than a chargin targe replacement though.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the wrench in game, and added in a spec map, really pleased how it turned out.

w_monkeywrench.jpg

v_monkeywrench.jpg

I really wan't to wrap this up and upload it so if anyones got any crits, nows the time.

I'm still having trouble with the name. I'm thinking off naming it either the two mentioned above, or something like Dell's/Radigan's Beatin'/Buildin' aide. Of course if anyone's got any better ideas i'm all ears :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, lots of great stuff in here. Here is my try:
    1o2hrb.jpg
    Its racoon bob. I sould help soldier to steer during flight.
    But I run into 2 problem i have no idea how to solve:
    1. bones have some problems with orientations eg. pith axis behaves as roll, so tail can't go us or down. How do I fix this? I use 3ds for rig.
    2. In 3ds my racoon and physic model have same position, but in tf2 hit box has offset and some rotation. What the hell is going on??

Bumping this for you since it was stuck at the top of the page waiting for authorization.

Post your .qc file. I'm guessing that the jigglebone problem is because of what you have in your .qc. Not sure about the collision model though. Sounds like you applied your bone on it differently than you did to the model.
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    catapult02.jpg

Just a try how it may should be colored and what the upgrades look like. I'm still not sure about the Level 3 design, i might change it.