Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Svdl: Have you tried seeing how the maskless pyro looks with a slasher smile? Perhaps that might help it slightly.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    I did this a while back, but the animations are now fixed :P
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/104539
  • PolyCracker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, so just testing my first compile of the reindeer costume head.

reine.jpg

here's a quick video link (it's a bit glitchy):
    http://db.tt/CM1Mdsh

I've added more joints since this to affect the shoulder area. I'll upload more of it's progression tomorrow. But alas my overdue bed is calling me once again. I'm off on holidays in a few days so not sure if i'll get it done before then... since it's all a learning escapade! xD

Any thoughts on the tongue? (I had a strap on the bottom before, but both looked too busy). Gonna try and make it jiggly and the solid ping-pong eyeballs bounce around....*hopefully*. Any links for nice tuts would be great and appreciated.

C&C always welcome!
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ಠ_ಠ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate wrote: »
    @Svdl: His mouth looks a bit weird, although I'm not quite sure why, theres just something about the mouth area, or maybe it's just me. Anyway, keep it up, I'm sure it'll look awesome when finished (even without the whiskered gentleman) :)

Got some more work done on this:
    m11918_wip05.png
    Gonna keep tweaking the textures until I'm satisfied.

That's some sexy texturing right there. I think it would be cool if any non-backstab hit would punch with the brass knuckle handle, but I guess that's more up to Valve than anyone else.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    So it looks as though the Pyro was supposed to be the asian guy of the group?
  • Dr.Eggman
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Dr.Eggman wrote: »
    17093500.jpg
    I've had the same idea for a while now. Looks really nice. :thumbup:
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    @Cronotic: I've been going after the ref mainly, which has the engraving on the handle, still, I know what you mean and I'll play around with it.

@ಠ;_ಠ: Again, it's for the soldier :p Good idea nonetheless.

@Polycracker: I love it!
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spycrabhat.jpg

I know, someone made a headcrab before on TF2, but that was before the contribute site was up and it was just a 1:1 copy of the crap and textures itself. Well basicly I did the same, but i edited the model so that it was within the limit of a hat. ( 880 Poly has the classic headcrab, this one has about 780 now) I also edited the texture so that it fits more into the TF2 Paintshaded Style. It's still unfinished and this is just a preview from maya, not from source engine, but i will do my best to make this crab looks good :P. I also am aware that this would be a second alien hat then. ^^ But i just make this for fun :3, so as most ppl here do.
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Srsly guys, how do i fix this mirror (symmetry) thing ? I cant make textures with it. Im using 3ds max 2010. HELP ?

fuuuuuuua.jpg
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone give e a tip on under what name the Sydney Sleeper c_model is saved in the models folder (because I can't find dartgun even though that's the name of the texture)

I just need that pointer so I can see how the c_model is rigged and rig my Sniper rifle accordingly.

Just as heads up I'm trying to make an improved reboot of my Polycount Sniper rifle

i.e this piece of crap

isthisbetter.jpg

I thought my idea was good but it definitely needed some refining to both fit into TF2 style and quality.

I'm still going for a pair of Binoculars attached to a rifle but it is definitely going to be attached differently.

and this time no blatant copying of the TF2 Sniper Rifle
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ryu Ookami: You might want to give it a higher res texture as it's looking really blurry imo. Also, it's pretty small, but if that's what you're going for then it's alright :)

@Sharkisss: You have to uncheck Show Overlapping geometry, which is whats causing all the red stuff. Or you could delete the mirrored geometry, render the UVs and then mirror the geometry again. I assume that's what you want to fix anyway.

@The Scrub: It's in team fortress 2 materials.gcf -> models/weapons/c_models and its called c_dartgun (it's not in a folder), I think thats the one anyway.

m11918_wip06.png
    Getting close to calling this done, will post some ingame screens later (hopefully).
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ryu Ookami: You might want to give it a higher res texture as it's looking really blurry imo. Also, it's pretty small, but if that's what you're going for then it's alright :)

@Sharkisss: You have to uncheck Show Overlapping geometry, which is whats causing all the red stuff. Or you could delete the mirrored geometry, render the UVs and then mirror the geometry again. I assume that's what you want to fix anyway.

@The Scrub: It's in team fortress 2 materials.gcf -> models/weapons/c_models and its called c_dartgun (it's not in a folder), I think thats the one anyway.

m11918_wip06.png
    Getting close to calling this done, will post some ingame screens later (hopefully).

thanks!
    And I was obsessively scrolling through the folders :poly122:

m11918_wip06.png
    Now you've done it! It's bloody perfect! Now all you need is an awesome name.
    Maybe add some more rust around the broken parts?
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

yeah, basicly the recommaded Texture Size for it, (256x256) is defy too low. I also don't wanne use the original Texture only, thats why i also blurred it a bit, I even tried out a Cutoff filter on the original, but that style is too extrem then.
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cannon_by_selentic-d357bph.png

Cannon_Source.png

For a friend's map using the medieval theme.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looks nice. Is it going to be pirate themed? Perhaps it's just at a later date than the current medieval map.
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

m11918_wip06.png

Impresive :D, I love it, no crits
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Looks nice. Is it going to be pirate themed? Perhaps it's just at a later date than the current medieval map.

I don't know when the map is supposed to take place, all I know is that it uses the medieval theme, and doesn't use that horrifying gimmick mode valve added.

And thanks~
  • PolyCracker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

m11918_wip06.png
    Looking real sweet! Only thing I would suggest is (looking at it vertically and blade on top), would be to try the emblem centered on top and the year underneath. That way they'd fit better....just a suggestion. (also maybe the groove colour is just a tad too dark?)...apart from that loving it! xD

Like this perhaps?
    13108880.png
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like the TF2 logo - it sticks out at me - consider using some of the other logos or make one of your own. Also maybe make the handle a different color? It looks a little bland as is. Otherwise it looks excellent :)

@Selentic, I'd add some more color variation - maybe some gold on those bands you have going around the cannon and definitely different colors for the both axle holding up the cannon and the wheel axle... it would be interesting to see this as a sentry replacement - low damage and low rate of fire like the rockets on the level 3 but huge splash throwing people around

Does anyone know how the character specific positioning on all class hats work? I thought they were based off the reference animations in the character named files (i.e. spy.smd, pyro.smd etc) but it seems my hat keeps using the idle position... is there some setting I need to change?
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharkisss wrote: »
    Srsly guys, how do i fix this mirror (symmetry) thing ? I cant make textures with it. Im using 3ds max 2010. HELP ?

fuuuuuuua.jpg
    We can't help you if you don't explain what that is, and what your problem is.

I'm guessing its a uvmap, in which case you need to take som uvmapping tutorials.
  • ಠ_ಠ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryu Ookami wrote: »
    spycrabhat.jpg

I know, someone made a headcrab before on TF2, but that was before the contribute site was up and it was just a 1:1 copy of the crap and textures itself. Well basicly I did the same, but i edited the model so that it was within the limit of a hat. ( 880 Poly has the classic headcrab, this one has about 780 now) I also edited the texture so that it fits more into the TF2 Paintshaded Style. It's still unfinished and this is just a preview from maya, not from source engine, but i will do my best to make this crab looks good :P. I also am aware that this would be a second alien hat then. ^^ But i just make this for fun :3, so as most ppl here do.

I think you can get away with that, it's more a matter of proportions and a more "painterly" texture. I mean, have you seen the Halloween hats? There's no way any of them (besides the paper bag) are less than 800 polys.
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contrails wrote: »
    @Selentic, I'd add some more color variation - maybe some gold on those bands you have going around the cannon and definitely different colors for the both axle holding up the cannon and the wheel axle... it would be interesting to see this as a sentry replacement - low damage and low rate of fire like the rockets on the level 3 but huge splash throwing people around

Updated it, I like it a whole lot better with a big bit of colour on there that isn't gray. Also ahhhhhhh why do people keep suggesting that to me D:
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    selentic wrote: »
    cannon_by_selentic-d357bph.png

Cannon_Source.png

For a friend's map using the medieval theme.
    Looks great, but honestly thought it looked better before the texture since the black just hides all the details, maybe a gray cannon and wooden base would loo nice?
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure all the cannon details will eventually pop out when it gets some shine and so on going on. Though trying out a little lighter color wouldn't hurt. Also, I actually kind of like the fact it doesn't have the basic wooden base you'd expect from a cannon like that.

--
    Also, I'm not sure if people saw it, but I mentioned the face I'm making is based on the early concept art of the pyro.

pyrogress.jpg

That's not saying I'm not going to try out any facial expressions. I'd just like to get the neutral face done first. That said, here's a quick test.
    happyfuntime.jpg
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The eyes...they are devouring my SOUL!
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    The eyes...they are devouring my SOUL!

may I shoudn't post this then... but I'll do it anyway!

screenie4.png
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa...
    Where'd you get that? Because I've been looking awhile for the goggless engie.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa...

I googled that screenshot(that is not me)

jsut google goggleless Engy I think to get the skin

however the skin is sadly outdated due to the Gunslinger and medals being added meaning that it no longer works perfectly because medal appear everywhere except on the player and the Gunslinger :p
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much ablidged!
    Whoa...
    Here is the blog of the maker.

But beware, the blog post that is under every other contains nsfw-image.
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Contrails: Good call on the logo, changed it to a different one. As for making the handle a different color, I can't really do that since it's all supposed to be the same material. I did slightly change the color of the whole thing though.

m11918_wip07.png
    I think I'm done with this now, so if there are no more crits then I will submit it and move on to other (TF2-related) things :)
    @Contrails: Good call on the logo, changed it to a different one. As for making the handle a different color, I can't really do that since it's all supposed to be the same material. I did slightly change the color of the whole thing though.

m11918_wip07.png
    I think I'm done with this now, so if there are no more crits then I will submit it and move on to other (TF2-related) things :)
    Change it back to Tf-industries logo. It looked mighty fine, like if it was used by some other mercenary before soldier joined the team!
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm posting again. YAY!

I perfected the Sniper Rifle I talked about which totally failed on my last attempt (i.e. my Polypack)

I just need to unwrap this Sucker and give it a neat texture so that I can give it a test in-game.

awesomepic1g.jpg
    awesomepic2.jpg
    awesomepic3.jpg

I went with a better pair of binoculars and this time the whole thing is hand crafted from my own modeling "skills".

And I went against the first instinct of nailing them on there in favor of a belt that does the job nicely

Don't need two Scopes to prove that I don't miss. But it helps!
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So how about a toothy smile
    shepardz.jpg
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ....2nd on the right is......not of this world....Congrats Svdl, im disturbed.
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not gonna lie that is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svdl wrote: »
    shepardz.jpg

Perfect.
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11

m11918_wip07.png

You mean this logo?
    logo016.gif

Why not MANN CO. ?
  • Communist Cake
    itshammertime.png
    itshammertime.png

Alright, so it's the final countdown for the Dyno-Mighty.

Any suggestions for the texture before I submit it?
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itshammertime.png
    itshammertime.png

Alright, so it's the final countdown for the Dyno-Mighty.

Any suggestions for the texture before I submit it?

Communist Cake, Bro.....seriously, it looks beautiful, but one minor change. if that stack of dynamite blows....i would think that the demo would prefer a little distance from it....just make the hammer stick a bit longer in length ...so that when it goes...at least the demo has a little more distance from it. Also, a little more length on the hammer stick would make the thing look far more larger than life...like the long sword.
  • Communist Cake
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like this?

betterorno.png

Much, much...much longer, bro. Like twice the length that it is now, in that image.
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svdl wrote: »
    shepardz.jpg

If i have nightmares this night, you're going to be responsible of it XD
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like this?

betterorno.png

Nah, I think it's perfect :D
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much, much...much longer, bro. Like twice the length that it is now, in that image.
    That would look... ridiculous. I think that the length is fine as-is.
  • PolyCracker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, got my jiggling down pretty much. Ran out of time and got a flight to catch in 3 hours after some sleep...home for a week+

reinp.png

http://db.tt/JPn0eUW

It's been fun learning the whole process though, it's my first time texturing/compiling, etc...and fraps. What do you guys use to capture the videos?

Anyway...Happy Christmas/Holidays! xD