Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Hey there, here's the watch that i'm working on

76753ab6fc190edf2834a0b15d8c4.jpg

By the way, I wonder how to get it In-game. I've imported the model in Source (Screen is in model viewer). But as I saw, the Dead Ringer model is compiled with the hand itself. And I have no idea how to compil it, make bones for it.

Someone have an idea ?

Thanks.

PS : This model is a reference to a Touhou theme "The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood"
    Link : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdriU2IKaC4&feature=related[/ame]
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast wrote: »
    Hey there, here's the watch that i'm working on

76753ab6fc190edf2834a0b15d8c4.jpg

By the way, I wonder how to get it In-game. I've imported the model in Source (Screen is in model viewer). But as I saw, the Dead Ringer model is compiled with the hand itself. And I have no idea how to compil it, make bones for it.

Someone have an idea ?

Thanks.

PS : This model is a reference to a Touhou theme "The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood"
    Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdriU2IKaC4&feature=related

I don't know either but i personally think you need some kind of display in some way on it, which actually shows the player how much energy this clock as left. For e.g. if you use a clock hand over this clock system with a small different rusty color, it would be totally enough. At least that is what i think XD
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Got the wrench in game, and added in a spec map, really pleased how it turned out.

w_monkeywrench.jpg

v_monkeywrench.jpg

I really wan't to wrap this up and upload it so if anyones got any crits, nows the time.

I'm still having trouble with the name. I'm thinking off naming it either the two mentioned above, or something like Dell's/Radigan's Beatin'/Buildin' aide. Of course if anyone's got any better ideas i'm all ears :)

A little Mann Co stamp somewhere? Or a little etching of kills? Like in prison cells.
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    1o2hrb.jpg
    Its racoon bob. I sould help soldier to steer during flight.

He is so cute! I will never be able to do the shovel taunt again.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the snow storm/rain storm and fact that the power keeps going on and off is making it very hard to get anything done >_>
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryu Ookami wrote: »
    catapult02.jpg

Just a try how it may should be colored and what the upgrades look like. I'm still not sure about the Level 3 design, i might change it.

Make the Level 3 design even taller than the Level 2 design. Also, the Level 2 design should be taller than the Level 1 design.
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make the Level 3 design even taller than the Level 2 design. Also, the Level 2 design should be taller than the Level 1 design.

I was trying to do that, but there a pretty much points what makes it troublesome.

1. This Hopper is only for one person per jump, at least thats what i would prefer when i would be ingame. Making the plattform itself may let the player assume, that more players can use it at the same time, but this is wrong.
    2. The Hopper already is a difficult animated thing at the start, cause its parts can't extend to its Level 1 Form like a sentry or dispencer does. I just can't make it bigger without having the right animation for it in Mind. It's not like a Super Mushroom from Mario Bros that just can increase the size of it XD.
    3. According to the animation of the teleporter, the teleporter itself doesn't change much. It's just gets faster and on the first view on it you may won't tell which level it is either.
    4. I don't wanne make this teleporter look oversized like it gets more power that actuall doesn't be the fact. The Scout will not touch the Skybox with this hopper on Lvl 3 XD.
    5. As I said I'm not sure if it would be a cool idea to allow it to place it on walls (for speeding purposes instead of high jumps), this would mean that this hopper shouldn't be very heavy (which actuall will happen if this thing goes bigger).
    What I prefer to do is somthing like:

1. Replacing the Source of the Energy of the High-Flyer itself. Lvl 1 uses just a spring. Lvl 2 uses an Engine and maybe Lvl 3 goes with some fusion-nuclear energy or something
    2. I wanne increase the attachment more to the surface with every additional level. I even think about adding dowel spikes on the lower part of it, so that it's deep combined with the surface on it.
    3. You can always see the difference between the Levels just with the look on it, (in opened mode as well as in it's compacted mode).
    I really apprechiate your advice, but i personally do not think "The Bigger the better" is always good. For Weapons or stuff, yeah maybe, but not for something like this XD.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Love the wrench ColonelBD, any thoughts on any modifiers for it, or is it just planned as an alternate model?

How did you get your spec map to work? when i turn spec on mine it just gets super shiny. I have a black and white alpha with my diffuse but its isn't recognizing it for some reason.

My VMT says
    "$basealphaenvmapmask" "models/cube/Ballpeen_diffuse"

If anybody has any comments on anything else that would be awesome to. no idea on a name yet, Maybe just "When in doubt" or "The keener Peener"

No Spec
    ballpeen_nospec.jpg

Spec with non-working mask
    Ballpeen_reflections.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    That line pointing to the spec should be this.

"$basealphaenvmapmask" "1"

It knows where the base alpha is. It just needs to know whether or not to use it.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    hmm, no luck, like this?

"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/cube/Ballpeen_diffuse"
    "$basealphaenvmapmask" "1"
    "$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    }

is there any special setting for the tga import into VTF edit? The tga compression(RLE) didn't seem to make a difference.

EDIT, scratch that i just needed
    "$envmapmask" "models/cube/Ballpeen_diffuse"
    as well thanks Zipfinator
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryu Ookami wrote: »
    I don't know either but i personally think you need some kind of display in some way on it, which actually shows the player how much energy this clock as left. For e.g. if you use a clock hand over this clock system with a small different rusty color, it would be totally enough. At least that is what i think XD

I agree. That's very nicely made, and it would be a plus if the gears moved, but have a minute hand design with a darker metallic colour, and don't put blood on it. That may work, and hopefully, may look epic. I would love to get a watch like that in game, gives a nice contrast on detail from the watches currently released.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Got the wrench in game, and added in a spec map, really pleased how it turned out.

w_monkeywrench.jpg

v_monkeywrench.jpg

I really wan't to wrap this up and upload it so if anyones got any crits, nows the time.

I'm still having trouble with the name. I'm thinking off naming it either the two mentioned above, or something like Dell's/Radigan's Beatin'/Buildin' aide. Of course if anyone's got any better ideas i'm all ears :)
    Radigan's Beatin' sounds good, considering how large the wrench looks like. It looks magnificent.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    A little Mann Co stamp somewhere? Or a little etching of kills? Like in prison cells.
    Both of which are overdone - it looks ok as it is
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Zipfinator, I'm pretty sure that qc for jiggle bones is ok since I have it from SKD wiki. Here is jigglebone part:
    $jigglebone "jig1" {
    is_rigid {
    tip_mass 20
    length 10
    angle_constraint 20
    }
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 100
    yaw_damping 12
    pitch_stiffness 100
    pitch_damping 12
    tip_mass 30
    length 20
    angle_constraint 50
    }
    }
    I kinda managed tail pitch and yaw to work, but it is inverted (so when Bob goes us tail goes up instead of down). I triend to invert bone z (roll) axis but on export is says "bone seems mirrored, will attempt to fix", and I has still wrong orientation.

Tehrasha - yep, showel taunt would kill bob :/.

Ryu Ookami - cool design of jump pads. I see one problem with them thought. They will have to be in open area for clear jump, and that mean it will be easier to destroy by enemy.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    I tried to link my watch to the same bones as the dead ringer (I placed it at the same place btw). And compil it like that but it doesn't work (the model completly disappear).

099592e8a2e4b352df2de77d11189.jpg

Does someone know how to link bones / create a qc for viemodels ? I'm getting mad with it D:

Thank.
  • sconlogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just bumping this since it got lost a few pages back in authorization.
    sconlogue wrote: »
    Feel like I'm a bit late to the party. I guess! Some amazing and inspiring work in this thread, wish I had found it earlier!!

Here is my submission that was accepted by Valve in the "Australian Christmas" update. I have to say I was a bit shocked when I saw it in there!
    5296939454_c4bb101986.jpg
    5296342347_f4236d9b65.jpg
    5296342483_459153aaf4.jpg
    Not sure what to do now. I would actually like to update these textures and create a better shader blend since I stumbled through it the first time. Can you update something once it's accepted? I also was thinking of a whole Spartan themed set, but I'm feeling that may not fly. Perhaps I should go in a completely different direction. and perhaps keep it simple and just focus on one item. This was great fun to make but a weapon is what I really feel like shooting for now. time to get crackin'.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast, I'm not sure if this is true of watches, but nearly every other model in the game has moved onto the c_model format. This uses the same model for the View and World and is much easier to compile. You should look into if that's how the latest watches have been done. Just look through the GCF and see if the Deadringer/Cloak and Dagger/Sam and Max watch use the c_model method.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    I've checked it. The Dead Ringer has a c_model indeed. But it isn't the ingame model I think. The c_model of the DR have a chain, but here isn't in-game. Moreover, i've replaced the c_model with my own model, but ingame I have the Dead Ringer with my watch texture :[

I think I need to rig my watch to the v_model but I've never did that.
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Just for the record, for another guys, I you are having problems with jigglebones just rotate them 90deg in y, and 90deg z axis. That fixes bone orientation.
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to make more hats!

@ zipfinator
    I may eventually add some tape to it, though I think it may stand out too much having white tape on his head.

@ ComfyCushion
    Not sure mean that as a good thing or a bad thing. I see it as a double edged sword. It's easier to spot the heavys head in the crowed and it makes it a larger target. At the same time if he is turned around you can really tell where his head actually is in the helmet.
  • Communist Cake
    plunderbusshotgun.png

It's a shotgun for the Pyro based off of a blunderbuss. It's still a WIP, though, any comments and such would be appreciated.
  • ShadowBrain
  • fusedgore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    Lol nice head but thats not gonna get in i dont think.WOuld be funny if it did though .
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TrevorJ: Actually what I meant by the spec map, I meant the phong map, thats what gives the models there shiny shading and brightens some parts up. (Like on the paintrains spike). An envmask is for reflectivity. So if you use that on your hammer, then its going to be reflective instead of shiny. The medics bonesaw is the first weapon that pops into my head that uses an evnmask, and even that also uses a phong map. Phong is only not used on transparant surfaces. At least thats how Valve do it.

For phong, the parametres my wrench use are:
    "$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "5"
    "$phongboost" "8"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models\lightwarps\weapon_lightwarp"
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[0.25 0.5 1.0]"
    "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"
    "$rimlight" "0"
    "$rimlightexponent" "10"
    "$rimlightboost" "1"

Rimlight is that bright effect round the edges of the model, but I turned it off on my wrench because it wasn't helping. Just mess around whith the numbers until you get an effect that works.

Speaking of my wrench.
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/106988
    Download link is finally up, really big thank you for all the help :)
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle

It's a shotgun for the Pyro based off of a blunderbuss. It's still a WIP, though, any comments and such would be appreciated.

This looks like fun :3 How would it work ?
    EDIT :
    I finally manage to compil my watch \o/

0ec79abf5b556ba9e872fdb91c1ce.jpg

Thank you guys.

PS : Do you know how to remove the Dead Ringer's cloak meter ?
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres something I made for fun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSFiIDtIKrQ

It was only a matter of time...
  • Mnemosynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast wrote: »
    This looks like fun :3 How would it work ?
    EDIT :
    I finally manage to compil my watch \o/

Thank you guys.

PS : Do you know how to remove the Dead Ringer's cloak meter ?

What I did was extract the texture files from the gcf, located in "materials -> VGUI -> Pocket Watch BG/FG", put them in the corresponding tf folder and made the alpha for the vtfs completely black. Thus the translucent command in the vmt makes it transparent.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Working on a little something for the medieval mode. I considered just building it in Hammer, but it'd be a pain in the ass to get that many brush entities to follow the track and not glitch all to hell.

Oh, did I mention it's the cart?

90PJE.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Working on a little something for the medieval mode. I considered just building it in Hammer, but it'd be a pain in the ass to get that many brush entities to follow the track and not glitch all to hell.

90PJE.jpg
    genius idea swizzle

Pl_Siege, Push towers to the castle as ways of entry and capture the defending point.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Exactamundo. Right even down to the name.

I'm going to make a couple more props and then actually get to work on the map itself. I have a rough idea of the layout already, though before I even start on the actual mapping I need to finish up that Guild Wars guy I was working on.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactamundo. Right even down to the name.

I'm going to make a couple more props and then actually get to work on the map itself. I have a rough idea of the layout already, though before I even start on the actual mapping I need to finish up that Guild Wars guy I was working on.
    It'll need a pretty intimidating sound when being pushed, maybe one similar to the Trojan rabbit from monty python.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suggestion on the cart, add some ammo/health kits around the barrels.

Looks good otherwise.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Always 2 steps ahead of the crowd, Swizzle. Nice work.

I suppose the next logical progression is to make some kind of medieval alternative to the briefcase.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, guys...

a little help, here.....

i'm about to reformat my comp. wipe it completely clean. What programs should I install to start the whole process of getting into designing custom models like you guys?

what programs do you use? any suggestions? to start out with?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Always 2 steps ahead of the crowd, Swizzle. Nice work.

I suppose the next logical progression is to make some kind of medieval alternative to the briefcase.
    perhaps a FLAG
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

90PJE.jpg

Awesomesauce + points on that.

Suggestion: animate those ramps. You'll earn even more awesomesauce points. ;)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, guys...

a little help, here.....

i'm about to reformat my comp. wipe it completely clean. What programs should I install to start the whole process of getting into designing custom models like you guys?

Source SDK, 3DS Max (Or whatever modeling application you use), GUIStudioMDL, VTFEdit and Photoshop. You can get GCFScape and MDLDecompiler if you want to take a look at Valve's weapons in your modeling application for reference.
  • Yokai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yokai polycounter lvl 11
    So I submitted my hat today...

However, after going through the submission process (after the second step where you upload the material / model files) it redirected me back to the part where you have to put in your steam ID.

So is this normal? Or does it mean my hat didn't upload correctly? I was expecting a page that said "Thank you for Contributing!" or something along those lines... Alas, I was greeted only with mild confusion.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yokai wrote: »
    So I submitted my hat today...

However, after going through the submission process (after the second step where you upload the material / model files) it redirected me back to the part where you have to put in your steam ID.

So is this normal? Or does it mean my hat didn't upload correctly? I was expecting a page that said "Thank you for Contributing!" or something along those lines... Alas, I was greeted only with mild confusion.

After you click upload it will go to a page where you need to put your community page in for a second time. Then you slick Submit and it will bring you to the Success page. If you don't go to the Success page then your .zip files were probably too large.
  • Yokai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yokai polycounter lvl 11
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    After you click upload it will go to a page where you need to put your community page in for a second time. Then you slick Submit and it will bring you to the Success page. If you don't go to the Success page then your .zip files were probably too large.

Alright then, Thanks.

Yeah I had to merge many layers to get my PSD file to be under 2mb. I don't really get why you have to put in your steam ID for a second time, but there's probably a good reason for it. It was late, so I probably didn't really get what was going on.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, guys...

a little help, here.....

You may find this helpful, I used this series as a guide when I started.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xTAmtqmvg8[/ame]
  • Gryoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gryoss null
    Hey everyone, new aspiring modeler here. Started working on tf2 things about 3-4 months ago when I needed custom things for maps and whatnot.

Here's my latest project, the flunderbuss:
    flunderbuss3.JPG

It's a flaregun replacement for the pyro. Here's another picture with another weapon I'm working on (The harvester)
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1835520/snips/weaponsprogress.jpg

Hope to learn a lot from you guys. :>
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another hat:
    chickens.jpg

This is probably my favorite one I've made so far.

Just stuck a basic texture on it so I still need to do a proper one . This will also be my 1st go at jigglebones.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dr.cube wrote: »
    Another hat:
    chickens.jpg

Just stuck a basic texture on it so I still need to do a proper one . This will also be my 1st go at jigglebones.

I must have it. Period.
  • Colt Seavers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea what TF2 is, but that character is awesome, great mix of different styles!

Colt:poly121:
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Realy Cute Dr.cube ! <3
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea what TF2 is, but that character is awesome, great mix of different styles!

Colt:poly121:
    Wiki says this:
    Team Fortress 2 is a team-based first-person shooter multiplayer video game developed by Valve Corporation. A sequel to Valve's previous Team Fortress Classic, it was first released as part of the video game compilation The Orange Box on October 10, 2007 for Windows and the Xbox 360.[3] A PlayStation 3 version then followed on November 22, 2007.[4] The game was later released as a standalone package for Windows on April 9, 2008. Team Fortress 2 is distributed online through the Steam system, while retail distribution was handled by Electronic Arts. The development of Team Fortress 2 is led by John Cook and Robin Walker, the designers who originally created the Team Fortress modification for Quake in 1996.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Dr.cube wrote: »
    Another hat:

Need ! :)
    80e333dad18c7462f6729863a84e6.jpg

I'm looking for a way to move the cloak meter, to place it onto the center of my watch. I'll try to find the script who define it.

EDIT : Okay, found it. It's a script .ctx
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender imports smd files all screwy (wrong side up, 40x smaller), I can't get bones assigned correctly (apparently according to the mdl compiler) and my Milkshape trial, the thing that I did most of this has expired.

Any hints on how to do this kind of thing with a free program?

Edit: I have now fixed everything by increasing the model size by 4000%

The onyl problem I have now is that for some reason the entire model is displaced and is too far backward. How would I go about solving this, trial and error?
    nope, turns out it's improper bone rigging or something because even pushing it forward has that problem...
  • fusedgore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    Hey all anyone know how long it usualy takes valve if your items is going to get in to get back to you ,or if your image /model isnt going to get in .