Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• miller0918
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the concept is pretty straight forward. a toilet powered by steam.
    this was done in max and was my first high to low poly bake
    this was done about 6 months ago
    just looking for any feedback at all

i do need to add a few more edges to smooth out the seat and bowl a bit
    26889_374805659173_845964173_3497307_426090_n.jpg
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    1copy9ag7.jpg

blargh...
    needs details and color..
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    aww, cool render... from zbrush?
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    nice work gauss, but I feel like the legs are a little off. Lighting is spot on though.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Rumkugel : I would credit your source, it's quite obvious on this one... Also, I think you could go a little bit more subtle with the skin folds, it looks a bit busy atm. Cool sculpt, though !
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks for the crits on the hands guys. Maybe I should have just started a WIP thread. Will for next character. Still need to add futuristic light armour but i'll move on to the next character for now.

assaulttrooper05.jpg
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    this ones are one of the first things that i drawed with a tablet...still warming up to the tablet but i simply loved it...

282m5vo.jpg
    b4cefd.jpg
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    @Renaud
    Well who do you have in mind?

My recent sculpts are a bit kenneth scott inspired indeed, but i didnt really use any concept or such, simple lunchtime doodling...

yea its bit busy in some areas indeed, will rework it eventually, if i have the motivation. atm i just focus on practice and speed :)

@holi

nah just 3dsmax with bit post in chop
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfreim: woah wicked stuff man, really dig the top guy, very nasty
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    but i'll move on to the next character for now.

No.

If you want my view on it, THIS is the most important part of learning.
    If you walk away from it now you will miss out on knowing whats going on.
    So you can start over, but not improve much, or you can sit down, grab a beer and bite through.

Most people let go too fast imo.

So what you need to look at to improve?
    I grabbed your pic and shook it around in photoshop for a few minutes.
    Played with the liquify brush and tried to find out what was going on.
    All the elements of the face are there, but the arrows roughly show you that they are all doing other things, they are not flowing in the same directions.

Oh and i beat the lamp like haircut to make it a bit more interesting.

whereyougoingmister.jpg

So what you should do is stare at it, and follow the directions things flow at, his cheeks are sakey, his eye lids for instance, have a big surface at the edge, indicating you look ontop of it, but.. im looking right at him? so that can only indicate his face is melting and it is bending forwards.

See where im going ? :D
    Same thing is happening with the gun, and some other parts.

Dont mean to be harsh but you need some asswhoopin so you can improve fast! :D
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Kickass work jackwhat and rumkugel.

Still messing with funky proportions. Obviously chris sanders and gueuzav inspired.

funky.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Rens wrote: »
    No.

So you can start over, but not improve much, or you can sit down, grab a beer and bite through.

All the elements of the face are there, but the arrows roughly show you that they are all doing other things, they are not flowing in the same directions.

whereyougoingmister.jpg

So what you should do is stare at it, and follow the directions things flow at, his cheeks are sakey, his eye lids for instance, have a big surface at the edge, indicating you look ontop of it, but.. im looking right at him? so that can only indicate his face is melting and it is bending forwards.

Awesome. Thanks Rens. :)

I totally get what your saying and the paintover is really helpful. The face does need a bit of a shuffle to add some character. I will look at how to improve him. I know there is a few other things need attention.

I'm definitely not abandoning him though. The next character i'm starting is for the same project. I just thought if I start the next I can rest my eyes from this one and i'll see more faults with it later. Whilst maintaining the same style in the next character.

Ok...you've persuaded me. I'll have another blast at this one tomorrow before I move on. Cheers man.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    No.

whereyougoingmister.jpg

I think the guy looked a lot more unique and full of character without your modifications :/
  • Cr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cr greentooth
    A rock I made for a future scene in UDK
    rock02.jpg
    759 tri, 1024 textures, screenshot from max with the Xoliul shader
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Crosspost from the mini challenge thread:
    enviro_comp_Breakdown.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    I think the guy looked a lot more unique and full of character without your modifications :/

Totaly agree, but it made it easier to see if i bounched it back to a generic type of face.
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    ssMater_42.jpg

still got some texturing to clean up
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    ScubaSteve, nice texture on the Pixar character - about how long did it take you to make that?

The jeep continues..

willysjeep02.jpg
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More illustration work -.-

blind.jpg
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think this will be my last post of my Skywarp in here before I give him his own thread.

@Valandar: Hah thanks so much man, that's the coolest compliment I've ever got on anything :). I really don't think even when finished he's going to be in any position to be printed in 3D based primarily on the fact of how many cavities he currently has (plus I don't even know how he should be properly setup; never printed anything in 3D). Rest assured I'll look into it and see what I can do though :D

SkywarpSD23.jpg
    SkywarpSD24.jpg

Man I'm not sure if it's the JPG's or the Maya Glow messing up the quality of these renders (I'm sure both), but it makes me want to punch a wall with my fistttttttt
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd just do screengrabs anyway. I haven't been able to properly comment on this because of the awful renders, they're blurry, on a black background, with glow. A far better way to show it off for advice is to post him on a neutral background, with the blurry filter, with simple lighting that shows off the forms well and another picture with wires if applicable.
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooghijmiqtxxa polycounter lvl 17
    Trying to figure out how to display the characters abilities and equipment without it looking like ass:

characterscreen2.jpg

And bug hunting :(

100670813.gif
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea no worries MightyPea, when i make the actual thread for him the lighting and renders are going to be perfectly clear, and I'll include the wires :P. I personally just liked how it looked on the black background and was posting it in here for my own satisfaction :D. I'll definitely keep all of that in mind when i make the thread...I realize that even if I'm just posting it for kicks and giggles, it still kinda portrays on a possible work ethic and if I really care about my work, so I'll keep that in mind for the future.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to figure out how to display the characters abilities and equipment without it looking like ass:

characterscreen2.jpg

Attack on the last ability is mis-spelled.

As far as making it look better, it's not terrible at the moment. It seems what might give it more "pazzaz" is making the icons beside the abilities a little more 3 dimensional and defined. They're kinda flat and lacking in depth at the moment.

Only other spot that would really add anything to what is otherwise a pretty good character screen, might be the background. A very subtle overlay with a screen from the game, or a "faction" symbol(random symbol, really), or whatever along those lines might tie it all together.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    shrew81, i think speculars are too intensive, should be much more darker, imho.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    ugh still going...
    wikus_06.jpg
    fooooooookk.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Fookin untucked shirt is the new shit bru. Love it :p
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good screwonhed but don't screen's with massive holes in the front generally stop working?
  • System
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Well, you learn something new every day.

That guy's pretty funny too, lol
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    @trancerobot, maters texture took me 10 hrs yesterday give or take,model it self 1 1/2 days for the model
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Trying to go for a creepy surgeon vibe. How to model the mask straps though..
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Totaly agree, but it made it easier to see if i bounched it back to a generic type of face.

I disagree with you on this Rens, his version, the head has real dimension. It looks really flat in yours. I think he should just scale up the hands and keep going, the head is fine.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Jackwhat wrote: »

haha i did the same with my fist once raging on tf2
    a 22' wide screen :(
    I've learned to calm down since.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree with you on this Rens, his version, the head has real dimension. It looks really flat in yours. I think he should just scale up the hands and keep going, the head is fine.

Well, remind me to spend more time an a pointover or not to include it to get a point across.
    The idea was to point out that things are not flowing in harmony,

but yeah.. carry on.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Less trollin, more goblin!

4908103798_7c254b8cb9_b.jpg
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    I like your style jackwhat!

Working on getting my first gun baked. I have newfound respect for you hardsurface guys after trying to iron out all the little shading errors and kinks. theres still some left but getting there

rhinobake003.PNG
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks again Ren and the others that commented. I've left the head alone for now. Just wanted to get the bodywork done. Still a few tweaks needed. But I think i'm nearly finished on this one.

assaulttrooper06.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    falling into bed now...

pino5.png

better but still not there
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice soldier stinger, could do with some colour variation eg subtle purpleish gray for armour straps and under metal, pouches could be a more browny green than the rest etc same with the skin, more subtle variation would be cool its all a bit pink.

neox, is that the airborn dude? I like him as he is in the mod. Or is this another project? good painting anyway
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Texturing the building in this scene. I have more pics on stankowicz.blogspot.com

8-19_WireframeBuilding.jpg
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Jeep update

I found a buttload of references from a guy restoring a later model army jeep. I'm not copying it exactly though - since the underside will be hard to see I'm taking a bit of creative license. http://www.flmvpa.org/articles/armymotors_gill.htm

willysjeep03.jpg
    willysjeep04.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Did a crappy skull study with some clay that was lying around. Couldn't define the teeth on such a small scale though, it's like 1,5 inches tall.

skull.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    felipefrango - Gah, I miss working with clay so much :( Maybe I'll invest in some this weekend. Nice traditional work though :)
  • Medestruit
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Ged wrote: »
    neox, is that the airborn dude? I like him as he is in the mod. Or is this another project? good painting anyway

well he was the first character for Airborn, and is way weaker than all the other characters, and well he is more than 3 years old now, we keep what we liked about him and change the parts we dislike the most - i have no doubt i will change stuff in 3d and maybe one of our concepters (on airborn that is) comes with some better ideas before i start sculpting - but i was in the mood to paint, which i am usually not, so i had to paint something :D
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Hey good stuff Spinks, I've modeled a Chiappa Rhino too and I think your model is definitely better in a few places at least. The only thing that sticks out is that the screw on the swing-out arm is maybe a little too small/tight of a detail to read on a gamescale normal map? Could just be me though. Anyway I've spent a lot of time staring at that gun and yours definitely checks out :)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funny stepmania video, i punched a hole in my wall due to everquest :(
This discussion has been closed.