Home General Discussion

Starcraft II

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    wasker wrote: »
    Wee, just finished the campaign on Hard :) loved it!
    Only immersion breaker was that matte painting when the doctor you pick up gets of your plane. Everything else in the game is super polished but that one piece. Had to go lie down for a while.

Replay that one with the other choice :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They said that multiplayer will not be affected by what game you have, so IF there is any new multiplayer units, everyone will get them even though you dont buy an expansion for example.

I really hope them make it so there's one ladder.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Well, in wow you can reach a higher level cap with the expansions as well as visit places you can't otherwise. I guess they'll do the a similar thing for sc2 multiplayer(new units and so on) in order to encourage people to get the expansions. They probably want the people who aren't interested in the single player campaign to buy the expansions too, right?
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Well, in wow you can reach a higher level cap with the expansions as well as visit places you can't otherwise. I guess they'll do the a similar thing for sc2 multiplayer(new units and so on) in order to encourage people to get the expansions. They probably want the people who aren't interested in the single player campaign to buy the expansions too, right?

True that. I met some D-bag/elitist players on bnet, check the're profiles, and have high achivemnts for online multiplayer, and nothing for the campaign.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi guys, got my SC2 copy yesterday and have already gone through the somehow annoying BattleNet account registration. When finally started StartCraft it asked for a character name stating: "You only get one shot to choose your permanent character name, so make it count!". Does it mean that you can have 1 and only 1 SC2 character per BattleNet account? Can characters be deleted and made anew? What if I'd like to start up again from scratch?

Well, I know this is not the BattleNet support forum, but I'd like to know what you think about it. Google isn't of any help, sending me to the currently unavailable BattleNet forum.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    You're stuck forever with your account and you can't make a new one. So make sure you always win your games cause those stats will haunt you forever.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    You're stuck forever with your account and you can't make a new one. So make sure you always win your games cause those stats will haunt you forever.

ROLF! I didn't expect to sound so dramatic :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They want to discourage "smurfing" aka noobstomping, aka I want to make a new account, loose all my placements, and pwn some n00bz this morning.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty happy about that decision ZacD. I dont like being stomped, not one bit :(
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    So whats the news with the Overheat/Pc Restart issues? I am at I believe the 2nd last battle before the final battle. I did the variable change frame=60/30 thing and all was fine until I reached CHAR then It started up again, seems I can't play on ultra in CHAR ever though I was through out the entire campaign (sad).
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    $!nz wrote: »
    So whats the news with the Overheat/Pc Restart issues? I am at I believe the 2nd last battle before the final battle. I did the variable change frame=60/30 thing and all was fine until I reached CHAR then It started up again, seems I can't play on ultra in CHAR ever though I was through out the entire campaign (sad).

I know SCII seemed to be causeing BSOD's and my video drivers were 3 months old. Updateding them seemed to stop that. Dunno if it'll help with that overheating issue.

I know for me when it got too intense with units the fps would drop to ZERO, or 1 frame for every 2-3 seconds. (Even if I set it to low it would hiccup allot)
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys. I've never really been an RTS player, but with all the hubbub about this game, I think I might give it a go. Do you think it'd be good to start with SC2 or should I go for something else and work my way up? Is it RTS beginner friendly?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's definately really easy to get into and play, but will take ages to master.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok i bought it but my computer disk drive is fucked , and i cant install from the disk , my question is , is there any way to download starcraft 2 and use the key that came with the CD ?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Johny, you can get the client on battle.net
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    thanks slum ! registering on Bnet and activating the key allowed me to download it.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys. I've never really been an RTS player, but with all the hubbub about this game, I think I might give it a go. Do you think it'd be good to start with SC2 or should I go for something else and work my way up? Is it RTS beginner friendly?

Start with the single player campaign. Do the tutorials. Practice against one A.I. opponent. Checkout specialties and tech trees of the different races.

RTS mixes micromanagement with strategy, teamwork if you have allies (extra challenging if they're humans but strangers to you via multiplayer).

Red Alert and Age of Empire (plus sequels) are good RTS games to check out besides Starcraft or classic Warcraft.

Cool thing about the SCII multiplayer games is that you can save a game and replay it. This way you can learn from winning teams or a beast of a player.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    To add to MagicSugar's post, if you really want to understand some of the deeper mechanics and competitive ideas, watch some of day9's commentaries http://day9tv.blip.tv/ he does a great job of breaking down whats going on, and is also kinda entertaining.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    ZacD wrote: »
    To add to MagicSugar's post, if you really want to understand some of the deeper mechanics and competitive ideas, watch some of day9's commentaries http://day9tv.blip.tv/ he does a great job of breaking down whats going on, and is also kinda entertaining.

Holy shit.....make sure you plug in your hyper terminal mainframe and turn up your front side bus. interesting commentary, but wow the nerdage is overflowing.
  • BlackulaDZ
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Start with the single player campaign. Do the tutorials. Practice against one A.I. opponent. Checkout specialties and tech trees of the different races.

RTS mixes micromanagement with strategy, teamwork if you have allies (extra challenging if they're humans but strangers to you via multiplayer).

Red Alert and Age of Empire (plus sequels) are good RTS games to check out besides Starcraft or classic Warcraft.

Cool thing about the SCII multiplayer games is that you can save a game and replay it. This way you can learn from winning teams or a beast of a player.

Don't forget the challenge mode. It's a really good exercise for multiplayer. Very very exercise ;)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think of it like this. It's blizzard. The guys that make some of the most balanced and sold games in the world. They turned the world onto mmo's.

They've made sure to ease beginners into the game so they can get themselves some mad cash flow. Sure. if the first thing you do is multiplayer, then you're bound to be brutally owned but i think that goes for any game :)

So go get it,. You'll have a great time! :D
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Not really into RTS games myself, infact the only one I got and actually played through was Dawn of War 1.

Loveing SC2 though and I'm only a little way into the single player campaign. I'd definitely recommend it.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody tried the map editor yet?

Might give it a try once I'm sick and tired of playing mp. Im over 200 games so far but my win-loss ratio is :thumbdown:
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first RTS game i've ever properly played and it's awesome, i love online (although i suck -.-) and the campaign is pretty awesome too from what i've played.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Might give it a try once I'm sick and tired of playing mp. Im over 200 games so far but my win-loss ratio is :thumbdown:

Yeah, editor is simply awesome, it has way more depth now though, and thus way more complex.

Being able to create completely unique gui via triggers is quite awesome.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18

Space Diablo....

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    completed etc, its really fun , wish there were more units in multiplayer like medics etc , whats up ith protoss terrible voice acting ? Zeratul , Tassadar and Kerrigan seemed so wrong , i guess i got used to awesome SC1 voice acting that sold the characters. Also kinda weird there is only 1 archon , by fusioning light and dark you get the same as dark and dark , or light and light, very weird , at least they could have two archons like in brood war.

Nontheless, those were 60 euros well spent . congrats blizzard , now hurry up with heart of the swarm !!!

P.S - the hybrids were super lame.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    whats up ith protoss terrible voice acting ?

I agree...

Jeeeaaames Raynoooooor
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Regarding the editor, apparently there is a limit to the size of the maps you can make, and you can only public 5 maps at once. So if you want to make anything custom for the game, you might be out of luck unless they change the rules.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think they're going to open up the limits for premium map makers/maps.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just had the best game!

Random 4v4. One guy from other team quit from lag. So 2 guys in my team thought it was over for us so they decide to quit too.

I says fuck this ill double control my terran and the other terran and told the last remaining person to control the protoss quitter's base.

So i marine rush. Weakened opponents base but not really. I tell the other person, my teammate, to just build rays.

When I'm all exhausted from fighting it was just in time for the teammate to sic the rays.

And did a fucking good job. We had a chance! I tell the person we might win vs. 3. And the chat went something like "don't piss a chick".

And i go "For real? u r a girl?"

Well, i just took her word for it and we beat the other team with just rays.

Too funny. Gotta watch the replay now.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Magic...Is there any way you can upload that replay?

I know this is asking too much but would love to see that game :D
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill try to record it and post on youtube. i've already save it but i know SC2 will overwrite it when save game queue is full.

So funny guys, totally unexpected and funny.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Firstkeeper and I just whopped 3 ranked matches in a row.

4-Gateway rush is pretty unstoppable for most people.

And even for "pretty good players", it's quite crippling.

By the time I rush with 20 Zealots, I manage to hit them before their tech is even remotely realised.
    (I've never encountered more than 2 tanks, and 5 marines, in which 20 Z-lots completely bum rush).

Unless it's a Mass vs Mass battle, (which I've yet to encounter) every team seems to want to have at least one of them tech up to air, and that just ends up crippling them.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I was playing 2v2 with my brother, we do Z&Z and it seemed like every protoss pair we played massed zealot, its funny how easily roaches kill them off, or blings.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Battle cruisers and Ravens FTW in a 59 minute 2v2 game! :)
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    @MagicSugar
    those are fun somtimes, If I'm up for it. I won a 1vs4 as my team member lagged out, and the other two quit after that. I just farmmed minerals w/ the dropped 3 and had a Void Ray army out in no time and pwned them to say the least.

Just beat Story mode on Brutal Mode. It was hard and fustrating. That and my Install got corruped like 20 times (seriously Blizzard wtf?) My SCII install would lock up and freeze every 2nd/3rd Campaign load. (lot of atl+ctrl+del going on)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Johny wrote: »
    whats up ith protoss terrible voice acting ? Zeratul , Tassadar and Kerrigan seemed so wrong , i guess i got used to awesome SC1 voice acting that sold the characters.

I think the person who did the voice of Zeratul in sc1 has passed away. The others I don't know :/
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody on the global ranking list?

http://www.sc2ranks.com/ranks/all/diamond/1

I'm on a top 40.

No, Im not and will ever be a Diamond player.:)

Use the filter tools to find if you're on.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    still trying to get all the single player achievements before I focus on the ladder :P
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    lol..

World: #73,402
    Region: #30,117
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I just found all the cutscene models in the editor, along with all the scene models, it seems like those cutscenes are all made in the editor too?

Fun part was that those models were actually up to scale with the rest of the game, but in way higher fidelity.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ive been dabbing in the editor lately. im making a hero defence. my problem is the duplication of units... its so confusing to me. like, you dupe a guy, but then all the stats from the original unit also show up in the new one. its so fucked. so right now im trying to figure out how to change that... duping 1 unit is fine. but trying to do it more than once to any given unit is just frusterating. so, say i use a zealot as a hero, i cant have zealots as some of the mobs that come and try and kill shit.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    eld wrote: »
    I just found all the cutscene models in the editor, along with all the scene models, it seems like those cutscenes are all made in the editor too?

Fun part was that those models were actually up to scale with the rest of the game, but in way higher fidelity.

For example,

q062y.jpg

and it has the environments, I think I made try using it for some models and see how it compares to view port shaders and marmoset.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    ive been dabbing in the editor lately. im making a hero defence. my problem is the duplication of units... its so confusing to me. like, you dupe a guy, but then all the stats from the original unit also show up in the new one. its so fucked. so right now im trying to figure out how to change that... duping 1 unit is fine. but trying to do it more than once to any given unit is just frusterating. so, say i use a zealot as a hero, i cant have zealots as some of the mobs that come and try and kill shit.

Yeah, the data editor is by far the most complicated thing in the whole editor.

if you duped a unit, it should be all its own stats, but everything that points towards something, like abilities, weapons and behaviours, points to shared data.

I'm working on a part parasite map part social experiment on how long a handful of players can keep a station running before they drive it into the ground, lifesupport being wrecked, people bashing eachother skulls in, paranoia spreading, AI going mad, and the eventual rush to the escape pod and or nuking of the station.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Anybody on the global ranking list?

http://www.sc2ranks.com/ranks/all/diamond/1

I'm on a top 40.

No, Im not and will ever be a Diamond player.:)

Use the filter tools to find if you're on.

I think they have old data from the beta on there, it has me as Rank #1,000 and I'm sure that's not accurate post-release :)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo wrote: »
    I think they have old data from the beta on there, it has me as Rank #1,000 and I'm sure that's not accurate post-release :)

I wasn't on the beta, and my record is correct (as of this morning) in the database when compared to my current battle.net record.
  • Rwolf
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    eld wrote: »
    I'm working on a part parasite map part social experiment on how long a handful of players can keep a station running before they drive it into the ground, lifesupport being wrecked, people bashing eachother skulls in, paranoia spreading, AI going mad, and the eventual rush to the escape pod and or nuking of the station.

Can you really add those kinds of specific elements in a gameplay sense, or is that more the story of your scenario?

Either way, sounds awesome.