Home General Discussion

Starcraft II

Replies

• breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    lol, i was on the short end of 2v3 game . . as zerg. I ended up building over 1200 units for the win!! i feel awesome.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    danshewan wrote: »
    Can you really add those kinds of specific elements in a gameplay sense, or is that more the story of your scenario?

Either way, sounds awesome.

Well, the thing I'm basing it on has some dynamics I just wont be able to port over, such as a fully dismantable spacestation, but yeah, those things I listed (and more) shouldn't be a problem at all.

lifesupport and such I'll handle with regions for different rooms and hallways and triggers handling them, oxygen supplies can be items that one player carries to be able to have his own small supply of oxygen in case of the eventual emergencies.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I was watching the making of dvd and it looks like they do use the in game editor for the cut scenes, I really wanna see the process documented so I can figure that out quicker and start messing with it.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    so I just got this installing now.. 12gb .. christ..

the original fit on one CD...

it better be that many times more awesome than the original..

watching the cinematics from the first before I start playing the second..
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome sauce !!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    anyone playing leage games? ive been playin 1v1. got put into a gold leage. im like 6w9l or something. im not too good. but ive already gotten SO much better. and i just got my 10 win zerg portrait! so im very happy! i want the 50 win portait though. the baneling. mmm. so pretty.

anyone want to add me,

game name is "Punish" player ID "188"
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I tried playing in the 1v1 league but it feels very stressful to me :( I always feel hesitant about clicking the search button for 1v1!
    I have been playing team games (even with randoms!) and some FFA, those are less stressful.

Actually FFA is pretty crazy, you can make the most unbelievable comebacks :p There were a few matches where my base got completely wiped out (cept a few probes) but I still ended up rebuilding and winning anyway... good times!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I use to get nervous about 1v1 games, you just have to relax, play more games, and don't take it too seriously.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, 1v1 stresses me out too, won my 5 placement matches, got placed in Platinum, and haven't played more since. :)

By the way, most epic game ever (it's in 4 parts, gotta watch till the end, even though maybe part 3 is skipable) :
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEV9niTmeOU&feature=channel[/ame]
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Hehe Bal, we had some fun at work watching that game, I would recommend not skipping anything, it loses it epicness if you dont watch it all :P

I would recommend anyone into sc2 to watch it if they have the time haha. Im having loads of fun in 2 v 2 and 3 v 3 with friends atm.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1 ling + 1 drone vs 2 zealots XD
    Good thing he was risky and mined an extra 5 minerals.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness

EU

add meeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Did you know:
    http://www.cgtantra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24114

Why wasn't this mentioned.
    Hurry da f-ck up! luls. :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    A friend linked me to this today, showing the speed pro korean gamers play at.

It's ridiculous.

http://kotaku.com/5580080/korean-gamers-are-faster-than-a-speeding-bullet
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    passed the campaign last night, pretty cool ending, gotta go back and play through some of the missions on harder difficulty. wicked ingame and pre-rendered cinematics all round and the in game art is fantastic. awesome job Blizz dudes.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of marine ball rushing lately :) I mean, people just pump out marines like no tomorrow and rush with them.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Yozora wrote: »
    I tried playing in the 1v1 league but it feels very stressful to me :( I always feel hesitant about clicking the search button for 1v1!

THIS!

every time i think about clicking find match, i start freakin out. lol.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    THIS!

every time i think about clicking find match, i start freakin out. lol.

Reminds me of the beta times, heh.

As ZacD said, just relax and keep playing. I don't really care about it as much as I used to, although now the nervousness is replaced with the desire to not lose which hurts when I do lose. :/

I tried to play Zerg when I last played, Managed to beat AI P and T on Medium, but I can't break Hard AI playing P. It does this weird two gate thing and I can't think of any way to defend it.

I played online later, and got smothered. :/ Went back to protoss and won 2 games in a row.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    are you being being killed by zealots or stalkers or what?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i can take down a hard computer almost every time as zerg. doesnt matter what race they are. just gotta be able to defend that first rush they do, which, with a couple of spine crawlers, a few lings, and a queen, and you`ll do it no prob. then you just gotta tech up and crush em. speedlings will crush em almost every time.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    are you being being killed by zealots or stalkers or what?

AI goes with 6 zealots and 2 stalkers. Here's it's build order (I mark the point at which I effectively lost the game):

failcraft1.jpg

Yeah mine isn't particularly good, this was like my 5th try to beat it. I tried early roaches, spine crawlers etc.

The problem is not holding the first wave off. I did that almost every game. It's just that the AI reinforces it almost isntantly, while I try to scrape up a bunch of zerglings to fight it off.

Of course the other factor is that I don't really play zerg, i.e not enough practice.

Looking at the replay for that game, I think I shouldn't've made a ton of banelings and just used vanilla speedlings instead. I could have actually gotten his base (I attacked when his second wave was pillaging my base) but because I had banelings I ran out of them and didn't do any damage. :/
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    well, your problem is you get your first lings at 4:40!

i get up to 10 drones, then spawning pool, drone, overlord, 1 more drone, then 3 lings when the pool pops
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Roaches own zealots, lings own stalkers, try walling off your ramp with 2 or so roaches and placing some more behind them to deter any early pressure. Don't let any of your units die, they automatically heal so any unit you have is worth it.

Blings aren't really worth it in this match up unless they are going mass zealot, but then roaches work just as well.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    heh, if you give me 5 min, I will have voids or muta's and start obliterating your harvesters...
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    would love to see you get mutas in 5 minutes :P 7:30 is the best i can do
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There was some crazy muta rush build that lets you get like 13 mutas right when the spire finishes, and its like only 1:30 slower than fastest muta possible.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Ouch 4:40 for first lings?!

Work on bringing that down. Spine crawlers also really help with fending off early pushes. I don't know in depth how the AI works since i've been playing against real players, I'm now in gold league 1v1, in placement matches I see a LOT of people that only know how to play up until the first wave is over, after that they haven't a clue so the key is surviving the first wave, then expanding lots and making sure they can't expand. Manage that and it's just a matter of time before you hit 200/200 and they are surrounded by you.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    well I'm not 100% sure, but usually around the 5 min mark is where my force value skyrockets.

My muta build is like this, 12 pool extractor > 13 Spawn pool > 3 gas harvesters at the same time. By the time the pool finishes, you'll have enough to upgrade your hatchery. Then get the 2nd extractor built, and you have some wiggle room and build lings. Between the time you get your spire get a expo.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, that last game wasn't my best attempt, hence the late zerglings. I got the spawning pool a minute in, I could have made lings but I decided to try and macro up.

I tried to do HD's anti4gate build but it's too slow since he goes with 2 gates.

Anyway I'm gonna try a bunch of things with mass lings.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    don't mass lings vs zealots, they are good against stalkers though.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Rwolf wrote: »
    heh, if you give me 5 min, I will have voids or muta's and start obliterating your harvesters...

Not if I have 3 cannons, bunker + turret, or 3 turrets waiting for you at my mineral line. I'll load up my scvs into the orbital or cluster my probes next to the cannons to save.

First 5 minutes you can only get maybe 2 voids before upgrades (with the exception of getting help from teammates via transfer of resources so you get another 1 right away and a nexus production bump). By the time you manage 4 or 5 before attacking I'd usually have more AA defenses up by then.

Only the noobs freak out at a very early void rush especially if they didn't ray proof their structures.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If I'm going void ray (I don't normally) I'll get 4 stalkers early and push, terran will typically respond with marauder, and I can sneak 1-3 voidray and take out his gas/engineering bay, or just workers. I'll also just get 2 early void rays and mass charge zealot if they go marine heavy.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Not if I have 3 cannons, bunker + turret, or 3 turrets waiting for you at my mineral line. I'll load up my scvs into the orbital or cluster my probes next to the cannons to save.
    Way to waste your resources and gathering speed, that abrupt stop and loss of minerals might be enough to fuck you over if he brings in the ground troops.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Way to waste your resources and gathering speed, that abrupt stop and loss of minerals might be enough to fuck you over if he brings in the ground troops.

You've never played as a toss??? Unlike terran scvs toss probes go back to mining after initiating a build. And if you're playing terran it's standard procedure to wall off your ramp or nearest choke to block ling rush or the 2 zealot /marine rush.

So I do that before I ray or reaper rush proof my mineral line.

Play more mp games than vs AI so you'll know what works or not.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Cannons probably, turrets and bunkers, highly unlikly, zerg your screwed.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Fuck.

£44.99 to buy it digitally, via Battlenet. I can find it through google shopping for £32.

Why the hell is it so expensive, and I don't get a booklet, a box, physical media, etc?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Fuck.

£44.99 to buy it digitally, via Battlenet. I can find it through google shopping for £32.

Why the hell is it so expensive, and I don't get a booklet, a box, physical media, etc?

yeah I wondered the same, I ended up buying it in a shop for £37 or something. I think its a marketing fuckup. As far as I can see you dont get anything extra from the digital download.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. Seems like they have it the wrong way round :P There's less overheads to distribute it digitally.

I've bought it. But it's coming on a DVD. Boooo. Feels like I've taken a step backwards, with using steam so much.

Anyone on these boards that suck at RTS games that might fancy a 1 vs 1 or a 2 vs 2?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    add me

rolfness

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do. I'll throw you a PM when it gets here ;)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Have you guys seen the wipe flow of imbalanced games?

For example:

If you are Terran, and allied with Terran and Zerg, VS Terran Protoss Protoss, it is a wipe from start. o.o

or maybe its about grouping up for first wave. (which is only me in like 4-5 minutes and no one else is near ready for it and I have to move on and take atleast one base down.)

Kinda gets to your nurves when that happens, espacially when you know that you and your allies are going to be rushed bu stalkers in approx 8 minutes. :(

The only balanced games I found so far are 2v2s
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    ^yes there are rare blanced games. I think I've had only about 5 epic 4v4 games out of 100 of them.

and my SCII is a piece of crap, keep getting corrupt, and crashing in the middle of the game. And yet I just got promoted to Diamond 4v4 uhh...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    its balanced around 1v1, 4v4 almost seems like too many people to me. I haven't had any issues with 1 strategy always beating me in 3v3 (easy way to tell if its broken), but I haven't played many.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Why would TTZ lose to TPP? if one of those terran ends up getting ghosts you can quite easily deal with a 4 gate push... hell, one of my 3v3 teams is that and we are 17-9 at the moment - if anything we lose to cheesy allins more than getting outplayed at 8-9mins.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Acting as a team is pretty key to winning team games (no surprises there!)

If you're playing with people you know or online friends set up a skype call beforehand or use something like ventrillo or teamspeak. Get talking, ask for resources if you're suddenly low, coordinate attacks etc.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    Why would TTZ lose to TPP? if one of those terran ends up getting ghosts you can quite easily deal with a 4 gate push... hell, one of my 3v3 teams is that and we are 17-9 at the moment - if anything we lose to cheesy allins more than getting outplayed at 8-9mins.

I think one of the strongest team game strategies is to have a terran and a protoss teamed up (on a shared base map). Terran walls off the group base and gets an early expansion, building pretty much only scvs and calling mules. Then you give all of your resources to a protoss teammate with warpgates... win.
  • piippo
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice, watching now :D
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't load it. :(

oh using Chrome I got it.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    The HDstarcraft commentator guy really takes watching these events to the next level. I could watch this crap all day.