Replies

• an aggressive napkin
    hugez.th.jpg

Been workin on this a bit :D Crits + Comments welcome as always
  • dansher
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    disanski wrote: »
    Hey dansher . I was told many times here on polycount - just add more geo and then you will not need the support edge. :)

ok ill give it ago, will that effect the roundness of it?
  • an aggressive napkin
    Nope, actually youre gonna have to use a new cylinder with around 50-60 edges and when you go to make your lowpoly, just delete every few edges, I'm doing that on my dragunov at the moment
  • dansher
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, actually youre gonna have to use a new cylinder with around 50-60 edges and when you go to make your lowpoly, just delete every few edges, I'm doing that on my dragunov at the moment

ok cool thanks for the help, its only really a test just to see how to make it when i go to make the model but ill see what i can do thanks heaps
  • an aggressive napkin
    asdfnz.jpg
    Basically you want to make the mesh as dense as possible. This will help your support edges ALOT, well actually, they will be your support edges :P
    Top one has edges up in place like they as they would on a flat surface. You do not want to do this on a cylinder because it will create a nasty line in your mesh
    Middle one has no support edge. It hides the line, but creates a bit of pinching that will be annoying in final renders.
    Bottom one, The mesh is very dense as you can see and does not need any supporting edges, and the highlights are perfect.
    Top and middle have a cylinder of 20 sides while the bottom ones has a cylinder with 50.
    You can always go back when creating your lowpoly and delete every few edges. That will make no difference Hope to see this fixed up!

Made this for a guy modeling a mossberg on the boards
  • dansher
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks so much this will help me heaps
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    butWhatisIT.jpg pushing along the base mesh some more :)
  • adamlewis
    gauss: Nice first sculpt. One technique I use to reposition symmetrical objects in a scene is with a modified version of the "Grab" tool. Simply change the default falloff on it to the flat, square shape one, and increase the brush size to around twice that of the object you're moving. Now you can quickly reposition objects such as eyes with minimal difficulty. I made a custom brush specifically for that purpose and it is extremely useful.
  • Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    dfacto wrote: »
    Sure! Just make sure you post progress shots. :)

Here's an updated one if you prefer:
    bowman5.jpg

Thank you. I'll start a thread once I finished the High :poly121:
  • The Flying Monk
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Inspired by gauss's unusual guns.

TKB-011_wip01.jpg

This is the TKB-011. Its a prototype soviet assault riffle from 63.

Unfortunately the only photos I can find of this gun are all from the same display case and all from this side. So I'm going to have to guess what the left hand side and the safety latch look like.

Everything I've read about this gun say that it has a tunnel ejection port above the barrel. But I can't see how that would work without the empty shells hitting the pillar of the front sights. If I can't find anything definitive before I finish I might just hack something in and try and hide it.
  • build.
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Wip-y.
    Elements taken from a myriad of sources. Will list later.

Does anyone know some efficient ways to eliminate banding on your textures?
    I started off with a polypaint base texture and it came out with a bunch of banding, trying to work around with it.

Currently around 9500 tris, yet to add proper hair and such.

tsst2.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Before I start a thread on these...here's one more tileable texture for your amusement..

stonepathtileable.png
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    build.
    Anatomy wise, it looks like her boobs are too much lower then where it should be. One more thing, I'm not sure but the lower leg looks a bit short. I like your texture though, nice color scheme.

_Revel
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    beaver_05.jpg
    guess i gonna start with the lowpoly now
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Neox that is rad! Love it.

Just his teeth look more like cloth than enamel. They need more volume.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    nah thats basicly the shader, its a cloth shader haha but the only quick to use white one i have in zbrush :D
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    well no, I mean that the actual detail and shape look like cloth, not the shader. Teeth are thicker than that.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Inspired by gauss's unusual guns.

TKB-011_wip01.jpg

This is the TKB-011. Its a prototype soviet assault riffle from 63.

Unfortunately the only photos I can find of this gun are all from the same display case and all from this side. So I'm going to have to guess what the left hand side and the safety latch look like.

Everything I've read about this gun say that it has a tunnel ejection port above the barrel. But I can't see how that would work without the empty shells hitting the pillar of the front sights. If I can't find anything definitive before I finish I might just hack something in and try and hide it.

Oh man NICE WORK. I've always like those prototype weapons, the thinking behind them was so far head, nobody could hang with them. Just too futuristic.

Tough going though with such little reference, I appreciate how difficult that can be. Luckily on the obscure guns nobody can call you on it :)
    For the tunnel ejection port I feel like you might consider forking the support struts on the front sight to allow for the spent casing to eject just below the front sight and above/behind the muzzle? That would put it close to how the F-2000 ejects, which is the closest modern example to that kind of system so it seems appropriate to borrow from.

For the left-hand side controls I'd style them based on the other prototype rifles that we do know what the left side looks like, such like:

okooxf.jpg

All these prototpes seem to share a certain affinity for control surfaces in arcs. A couple of them have the charging handle travel through an arc, and the fact that the original AK selector/safety level is an arc is also a good indication that this is the right direction to go in.

Have fun texturing the bakelite stock, that's one of my favorite elements to these prototype.
    Anyway really nice work, good luck in detailing out the rest of it. Outstanding choice.
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    biomajor.jpg

I played some Serious Sam HD this morning and got inspired to remake some of the enemies. This is the Biomechanoid Major. I am reworking the creature to be a giant slug attached to a chicken walker which is more or the less the idea behind the original design [I think]. The box is human size ref.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Urgh, so much awesome shit this page. build, I'm getting Gantz + noah-kh... looks sweet.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Been a while since I worked on this guy. I've completely redone the UVs and a good portion of the model. Now I'm trying some color schemes and stuff. There are, once again, seams I need to fix, but this time they're because of the actual UV layout and not the edge padding. I'm a dummy like that.

8LHtO.jpg
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yet another reminder that all the cool kids hang out in the concept tag thread. juice by gauss, juice by gauss, woooooooah juice

mezz2a.jpg
  • chadabees
    Oh man I love that one Gauss! Really nice work
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    fook01.jpg

FOOKIN PRAWN!
    lulz, looks great so far :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Early progress on a floor tile I'll be using for a scene I'm working on. Still going to add more detail to it.

progress_1_pp.png
  • The Flying Monk
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Gauss.

I was going to put the ejection port off to the side and above the muzzle. But your idea of having the support struts would look more interesting. I'll have to play around with is a bit. If any one asks I'll just call it a second or third variant or something.

I think that the butt/stock (??) is the only part of the TKB-011 that is plastic. But
    the pic you posted is the TKB-022 and as far as I can tell it's the only version completely covered in bakelight. But I want to do that one next anyway. :)
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work Sec,Neox,build (i think the boobs are placed nicely), Guass

Cochtl: Nice start. I myself have tried (and failed...im creativly challenged :p) at reviving shit from serious sam (i love that game). Good luck! :D

Hmm......fuck me.....
    4j011v.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    nice jramauri, but I think you went a little overboard with the blood splatter touch-ups in photoshop
  • tacit math
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    sweet work guys. some dirty proxy blocking for this dude :

skuit_PROXYing.png
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Nice! Now enlighten a noob...what's proxy blocking?
  • {scumworks}
    @tacit math

Looking interesting!
    ZacD wrote: »
    Looks nice, I really dig the design of the gun, and its nice to see an XSI user.

Ye, feels like im the only one left. As for the design, its a real gun, so I cant take credit ^^.

Sorta rushed the texture to get this sheizer off my desktop.

bristlen_fin.jpg
  • maze
    That's not a good sign, you shouldn't need a sheet to explain the function of something as simple as a mailbox. Also IMHO amount of detail depicts scale to a certain extent. I would've never guessed it was a mailbox cause it looked like a huge container or even a building of some sort. Stuff the size of a mailbox don't have this many things going on because it's simply not needed. The bigger your object is, though, the more nuts and bolts you're probably need to keep it together.

Hey Felipe, thanks for the crit, I appreciate that, you are right about the fact that a mailbox is a simple object, although I didn't want to go that simple, simply because it wouldn't be really fun to model after, also like I ve said before I wanted it to be strong looking / futuristic, although I went to the other extreme which is not good neither. So I guess that's bad planning in the end.
    I'll take comments in consideration and try to do better next time!

maybe I can still take some elements from this and go for a different object that makes more sense, like an energy tower, sci-fi container or something else ;)
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    gauss wrote: »
    yet another reminder that all the cool kids hang out in the concept tag thread. juice by gauss, juice by gauss, woooooooah juice

mezz2a.jpg

can i haz her as wifey?

=O
  • willlord
    Offline / Send Message
    willlord polycounter lvl 11
    Hello all. So i have to come pretty close to a stopping point on my second model and was wanting to hear some crits and opinions before I wrap it up! Hope you all enjoy!
    helmet.jpg
  • woogity
    interesting design tacit math, I like the lower leg pieces alot. the sader is kinda distracting tho.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    quick sculpty sculpt...

rocky_stairs_2-740436.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Jesse : I can see where you are going with this and I realize it was a quickie, but I do think the steps could be a bit higher and the edge have less bevel...but you are also a great artist, so it's probably what you wanted...
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    tacit math: love it

gauss: love it too :)
  • [SF]Three9
    WIPKnight12.jpgWIPKnight13.jpg
    Texture is almost done fffffffffffffffff
    His pack+belt is hidden, and yes I know he has a very defined ass :P, going to fix it
  • willlord
    Offline / Send Message
    willlord polycounter lvl 11
    headtxtrd.jpg
    Been working on the textures. getting closer to being finished!!!!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    more work on my unity project
    zombie2.jpg

nice rifle scumworks.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Those are some fashionable zombies.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    This is one of those pictures that ought to have been in the speed modeling thread, but actually took me quite a while. Part of the difficulty is that, for the life of me, I can't fold my nasolabial folds like that and couldn't use myself as reference :( .

Frownface.jpg

Edit: changed the render, matcaps are nice, but sometimes also much clumsier than two lights and some AO.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah they are going to have hats and various accessories

just because you are the living dead,doesn't mean to say you have to let appearances slip:)
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Sci-fi door sketch i did today:

doorsketch.jpg

Who thinks i should stop being lazy and do some fucking 3d work? *raises hand* :(
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    katana wrote: »
    Jesse : I can see where you are going with this and I realize it was a quickie, but I do think the steps could be a bit higher and the edge have less bevel...but you are also a great artist, so it's probably what you wanted...

Yeah I adjusted the height now and like it a bit more. Also sharpening up some edges. Still needs tons of work but i'm starting to like where its going more and more.

rocky_stairs_4-723591.jpg
  • Bibendum
    Just a surface texture test

bibendumpig20100621.jpg
  • {scumworks}
    Thanks Ruz!

That Unity sheiz looks sweet. Will the level be playble?

Trying to rough you a concept rather then painting one. Doubt it'll be more then a head bust, my failure rate on large projects is .. <
    _ this big
    >

Yes, its suppose to be a head.

headbust1.jpg
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Lonewolf: get in line :)

I know it's always a good idea for an exercise, plus every game can use a skull model, so I figured it was time. Stopped just after starting the teeth. Tomorrow get all the surface detailing and small detail stuff.

skull1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.