Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great Harry! Any chance of getting some wires? Would be very helpful.
  • Niwon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made a base model for the not-so-fancy simulator graphics engine at my job. It only has a diffuse map since the Cal3D plugin we're using only supports this. Next thing to do is to animate this little fellow:
    boy01.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Bibendum wrote: »
    More work on this

bibendumpig20100616.jpg

Mostly done with the lower body, just need to finish up the back and figure out what I'm going to do with the forearms then add the teeth/hooves.

Nice! Reminds me of this, which is definitely a compliment.

e4m8_04_small.jpg

:P
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I know this isnt anything special given the level of work here, but I've been working with the stone texture i showed a couple of pages back. The post is just a stand in placement. the normal map isnt really doing a whole lot...I welcome suggestions....mainly going for a hand painted look.

stonewall.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the look you're tryuing to accomplish I guess, if you're going for a Torchlight/WoW/cartoon/hand-painted style you might not need the normal map at all. I like the cholor scheme but it's overly blurry at the moment and I can't quite tell what the green on the top is supposed to be.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    boyluya wrote: »
    Another gun for my portfolio. Based on a concept art from the Borderlands game. High poly is almost done. I'll post other views later (my comp renders so slow).

revolver.jpg

looking good but u need a new grip, its too old for this gun
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @felipefrango: thanks man, that's actually what I was going for so I'm glad it's somewhat recognizable :D Should be more obvious once I get the gear on him
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    just managed to put everything together thanks to decimation master, still keeping the files seperate though so I can fix stuff but hes almost there now, Gonna start thinking about weapons now :D Hopefully I got time to polypaint everything and start retop

demon_008.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    @felipefrango: thanks man, that's actually what I was going for so I'm glad it's somewhat recognizable :D Should be more obvious once I get the gear on him

Hah cool, now I'm even more excited to see how this goes, keep us updated!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool, the sculpt looks massive but his head looks tacked on there, no neck or anything? Like it's resting on a flat plane without anything holding it there.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Made this... now working on some other space debris, satellites and what not...

asteroid04.jpg?w=41225c10
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current work "Phil the amphibian" Planning on taking this into Zbrush.
    phil4.jpg
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    baking out an assasin type character for pvk source mod.

21107166.jpg
  • OzMa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Crazyfool I have been following that demon by few pages ago and it turned out so good! Congrats :)

----

My first experience (at least :P) with normal maps... I used Maya for baking and that's the result. Any suggestions?

test01.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    A rock!! Let me know what you think guys, I'm working on this for some much needed texture practice for this summer.
    Rock_Sculpt.jpg?t=1276807975
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    your rock looks pretty good. I think with an irregular shape like that there should be a few sharper/more planar elements.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Beautiful stuff Harry - only nitpick would be that at the moment the weight of the backpack doesn't feel like it's doing much to the shirt via its straps.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, it felt too soft for me, how does this look. I've cleaned up a lot and added some sharper edges that should help with the silhouette and give it some more interest, even if it is just a rock lol
    Rock_Sculpt2.jpg?t=1276810464
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, definitely an improvement! :D
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Another update on my first high poly model. Any crits would be great! Still just practicing technique. It is based on this Warhammer model: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Cadian_Shock_Troops/IMPERIAL-GUARD-SABRE-DEFENCE-PLATFORM-WITH-AUTOCANNON.html

gunbarrel4.jpg
  • dgozmo
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And textured!! What do you think?
    Rock_LowRes.jpg?t=1276815370
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohnomelon polycounter lvl 14
    If I had to say something, desaturate a little and build up dirt or something into the cracks and cavities, right now seems like the normals are doing all the work.

idk maybe you don't even need to do that, but this is what Photoshop whispered to me
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thank you, that looks great! I'll see what I can do. Still want to keep a hint of color but I see where you're going.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the look you're tryuing to accomplish I guess, if you're going for a Torchlight/WoW/cartoon/hand-painted style you might not need the normal map at all. I like the cholor scheme but it's overly blurry at the moment and I can't quite tell what the green on the top is supposed to be.

Thanks that helped I think. Here is a smoothed and unsmoothed version after breaking up the moss top and the wall into two separate pieces and running some filters in PS. I still have a bump going on as well.

I haven't obviously gotten into the lighting yet, but I am very open to anyones suggestions, thanks and be well.

stonewallSmoothed.jpg

stonewallUS.jpg
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    dgozmo
    Cool model, but your texture a bit too dark and "dirty" at the moment.
    It looks like not having enough contrast.

katana
    Dude, I thought the green thing that grow on top of the stone wall is a grass. Do you think the moss will grow evenly on a direct sunlight? I don't think so, because they need some moisture to live. I think it'll have more chance to grow in the lower part of the stone wall and the cracks between the stone.

_Revel
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an updated spec and diffuse map. Still trying to keep some color but tried to make it more realistic looking as well.
    Rock_LowRes2.jpg?t=1276826204
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I've been hand making this cliff for my environment, well... that makes 1 cliff down... and several others to go... perhaps I should consider some more tiling for some of the less important cliffs.

Nothing is photo-sourced.
    Sculpted in Mudbox, Decimated, UVed in Maya, Normals and AO baked in xNormal, Textures Painted in Photoshop, Detail Normals made in CrazyBump composited into normal in in Photoshop. Maya 2011 Viewport, High Quality Rendering.
    cliffpreview.jpg
  • Medestruit
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    4710774603_47322401ec_b.jpg

Early WIP on a lady character...crits very welcome!
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    More work in progress stuff! I got more of the buildings figured out. Now I just need to go in there and start polishing some of my scripted sequences. Once I get all that figured out I'll go in and start adding final art and fixing up my mountains a bit more.

chellslegendpart15layou.jpg

- vivi
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohnomelon polycounter lvl 14
    Been making little props to fill time before I leave. It's 108 tris per block so you probably wouldn't want to actually assemble any walls with them. 256 color and specular, 512 normal, a bit much.
    cinderwip02.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice crazyfool! love how this is turning out, like n88tr said this guy is massive for weapons a flail and some variation of axe could be cool.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    @ Ruz : Nice one man. I've been thinking of having a tinker with the Unity engine some time. Was it easy to get into?
  • TNO
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel wrote: »
    dgozmo
    katana
    Dude, I thought the green thing that grow on top of the stone wall is a grass. Do you think the moss will grow evenly on a direct sunlight? I don't think so, because they need some moisture to live. I think it'll have more chance to grow in the lower part of the stone wall and the cracks between the stone.

_Revel

Thanks, I now feel like an idiot...lol. It wasn't enough to look at pictures of moss, but to understand where and why it grows...lol. As such the textures make no sense. The picture i referenced was a wall holding back and embankment of grass...if there wa shade from a tree and the moisture ran down the hill and settled in the cracks of the wall, then
    maybe i could get this effect. Oh well if it was easy everyone would be doing it...thanks for the input.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great Andre :); especially your wood textures. That DOF seems a bit overdone and throws the piece out of scale.

Also, you might want to change the compression settings of the normal map used by your water material; there's some nasty DXT compression artifacts visible.

But yeah, can't really offer any real crits apart from random nitpicking. Perhaps composition could be a little bit different? My eyes keep wandering off in the direction of that blurry corner.

Great stuff.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I think you should nitpick. That's the only way for me to get better. I agree with what you said but I'm not gonna touch the scene in a long time. Still like to hear you out though.

Should have seen how it looked before I pulled it in this direction. It was absolute wank (in a bad way). Luckily i got some nice crits from friends and managed to turn it around. I got so artblind it was crazy. I worked nonstop on it pretty much.

For example Xoliul the master of everything that he is showed me how to do awesome waterstuff/effects. Dude deserves gold cookies with diamond chunks in them.

Fun fact about this scene that I did this to show/relearn my maya skills quickly. Hadn't touched the program for 3 years so I'm pretty proud of it for that reason.

About the water, maybe that's the foam you see? around the pillars and stuff? Could have done that better I agree. Struggled with the sorting/transparency a few times. I could have planned the scene better aswell to get the texture count down even more.

Here's the last WIP pic before the new lightchange and texture approach :)

EDIT. Yeah. the dof is nasty... dang... maybe i did it partly to blur out the "stencil" of a tower i had back there.
    ArtTestSplashDamage_15b.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Notorious P.I.G - looks great, loads of people take on the SD test and not many get to this level imho. The water looks like it needs some more loving like teaandcigarettes said. maybe some more debris or algae around the place would look cool aswell :)
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    does anyone know what kind of rifle this is? im trying to model it and i want to get some better ref pics of the bolt area, the site i got it from just calls it "big gun"

iv allready started the main body of it which is going ok but its just that bolt and receiver(think thats what its called) that i cant really do from this ref

cheers

big-rifle.jpg
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's called bolt action, and there are tons of guns like that.

It looks a bit like a Mauser but I'll leave the naming to the more knowledgeable people.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remington 700 is what it looks like to me
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    It's called bolt action, and there are tons of guns like that.

It looks a bit like a Mauser but I'll leave the naming to the more knowledgeable people.

cheers, yeah iv been trying to figure it out im 90% sure its not a m1 garand because they have more parts that make up the main body

do you think the action would be basically the same for most guns?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks indeed like a Remington.

remington_700_mountain.jpg

As for the action being the same or not, they are similar for the msot part but visually they may look different.

EDIT: definitely not a Mauser.
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help and those are great ref pics theyll help alot i owe ya one ill post some pics of my model when i get a bit more done
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Half or more of commercial bolt action rifles are in some ways a copy of the Mauser action, it's the most successful bolt action design ever. Basically has yet to be trumped. All of the old US military rifles (M1903 etc) are Mauser-based, as are most hunting rifles.

Expert gunhavers tell me you're looking at an older Weatherby Mk.V. Sorry I got no eyes for non-military rifles.
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss wrote: »
    Half or more of commercial bolt action rifles are in some ways a copy of the Mauser action, it's the most successful bolt action design ever. Basically has yet to be trumped. All of the old US military rifles (M1903 etc) are Mauser-based, as are most hunting rifles.

Expert gunhavers tell me you're looking at an older Weatherby Mk.V. Sorry I got no eyes for non-military rifles.

i think your right i googled it and it comes up with identical rifles

trying to work out how to make it, it looks like the cover bit for the action molds right into the barrel

ok heres some pics mainly just the body working on the trigger guard at the moment but i cant decide how i should make it, the one i have there was made with a spline but im not sure if i like doing it that way of if theres a better way
    think the body just before it joins the stock is to hard need to round it off a bit more i think

rifle.jpg
    rifle2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.