Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Old Painless
    I'm loving these models. You guys are without a doubt the finest community modelers and I'm really groovin on your kabar Joshua, very elegant.
  • NeoDement
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Does anyone have a link to a tutorial or something to get models compiled to view in the model viewer and in game? I never bothered to read up for the Hound Dog but I would like to this time.
  • pw pw pw
    JoshuaC wrote: »
    That looks a lot better, thanks!

ka-bar_wip_06.jpg

The nick needs to be even slightly smaller, and further down the blade. As it is, anything likely to nick the blade would be very unlikely to do it at a curved point of the knife. It would be more likely to be deflected in one direction or another. The nick should be on one of the flat surfaces, if indeed you do feel that you need it. Personally I think it looks slightly better without.
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaC polycounter lvl 13
    I appreciate the input. Sadly I already started working on the texture.

Disclaimer: I'm not a texture artist in the least. :P
    ka-bar_wip_07.jpg

I've still got a bunch of smoothing and tweaking to do to get it looking more like TF2.

EDIT: Looks alot better in TF2.

cp_gorge0001.jpg
  • ant
    joshua c--
    looks awesome so far nice and neat model!

may I ask did u do an occlusion bake horizontal as shown in ur screen grabs or vertical as it wud be in game?

I took the opportunity to do a quick style paintova....if you feel you dont need it pls disregard

for tf2 texturing methods ( I am only telling you cause you said you weren't good at texturing, but it looks like your pretty good )- - I lay down base colours ( no high frequency textures)

and then on a colour dodge layer block out some squarish 90 degreee directional strokes

erase back into to find an aesthetic middleground and adjust opacity od colour dodge layer

I colours tend to use on metal surfaces are medium tone warm greys on dark cool grey bases and vice versa then add a few hero chips or edge highlghts with th lasso brush
    ( these are always crisp in tf2 and are evident in spec maps dont forget!

on wood -tan and peach with darker browns in the colour dodge layer again erase back in.

-multiply layer for th occlusion bake and adjust opacity / levels as required

anyway thats a good model u got thar :)..

cpgorge0001paintova.jpg
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the texturing tips! I'll be sure to apply them to the knife. What exactly do you mean by a horizontal occlusion bake? In blender I don't believe there's any directional settings for the AO.
  • ant
    ah thats cool.. i realized it prolly wouldnt work in this case

just that sometimes i like to do a directional occlusion bake to look good from camera

or other words i put a poly plane some distance away from the object ( normally underneath) just to give a tiny tiny amount of shadowed area underneath. (whatever underneath is). it blocks the rays shooting up from the bottom a tad during the bake.
  • AgeNt_
    alright after learning a lot from my last hat, I have decided to start a new. Hope you enjoy!

render1.jpg
    render2.jpg

Now I don't have one of these and only used photo references. Please only constructive crit. thanks!
  • Old Painless
    Very cool hat AgeNT, with some gold laurels on it it would looks alot like Captain Renault's hat from Casablanca.
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    ka-bar_wip_09.png

Thank you so much for those excellent tips, ant!
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The texturing is much better dude but I have to say I liked his scaling more, yours seems to thin for the TF2 world.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Yeah the spy knife practically seems bigger.
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    How about this?

ka-bar_wip_10.png
  • Spacey
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    ant: The Sultan and Chef Hat turned out nice.

Can't get my witch doctor mask looking right in the modelviewer, but this is what it's like in the viewport.
    dablackmojo_wip03.jpg

And the Precision Spectacles
    medic_precisionspecs_wip01.jpg
  • Karkasmolenklok
    both of those have potential.
  • Armanky
    Amateur question, but where may I find hatless models for the behatted classes? The ones in the OP all seem to have their hats on.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Armanky wrote: »
    Amateur question, but where may I find hatless models for the behatted classes? The ones in the OP all seem to have their hats on.

If you have them OBJ in 3DS then turn them into EDIT POLY, use Element as the selection mode, click on the hat and delete it.
  • Shotgun Bill
    Hi, I don't know how to model... yet, but I will start learning 3ds Max next week.
    Anyway, I came here today because I have an idea I want someone to model.

It's like this:
    Axe_hat_for_Pyro_by_ShotgunBill92.jpg

Basically, it's an axe on Pyro's head supported by a headband. It's like a halloween costume and it's kinda funny and comical, that's why it fits the Pyro.
    Sorry if bad drawn but the drawing was just to give you the idea. The axe model, color and size can be changed.
    Send me a pm if someone is gonna model it.
  • AgeNt_
    render3.jpg
    render4.jpg

please tell me what you think. i still need to do a blue version.
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm done with this now.

Ka-Bar_Final.png

Just got to think of a good name, and possibly some ability for it to have then I'll upload it to the contribute site.
  • Old Painless
    JoshuaC wrote: »
    I think I'm done with this now.

Ka-Bar_Final.png

Just got to think of a good name, and possibly some ability for it to have then I'll upload it to the contribute site.

Maggot Sticker, The Fubar
    Faster attack speed but lower damage, similar to the bat's stats,
    or
    lower damage no random crits, crits on strikes to head and neck, and has the ability to be thrown as a projectile that deals normal melee damage and can crit on head shots but you have to go get it after throwing or wait for recharge similar to sandman ball - difficult skill shot, heavy arc, short range, slow air speed.

let me know what you think about the names and these abilities
    if valve has reservations about the name Fubar just tell em it means Fouled Up Beyond All Repair that way its kid friendly. But when have knives supposed to have been kid friendly
  • Gerre
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    wmasfb.jpg
    Made a few adjustments to the Rifleman's Deerstalker I posted a while ago
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/91051
  • James9475
    Hi, I don't know how to model... yet, but I will start learning 3ds Max next week.
    Anyway, I came here today because I have an idea I want someone to model.

Send me a pm if someone is gonna model it.

Can people PLEASE stop doing this. NOBODY IS GOING TO MODEL YOUR IDEA, IDEAS ARE CHEAP AS F**KING CHIPS. 1% inspiration 99% perspiration etc.....
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    y just talking to my frend about this game, he like it very mutch but i not so but i had an i dea. but i am can not model. =( but anyway here is idea for you if you want to!!!

hat.jpg
    it is like box like where you put in stuff but with holes for looking and a logo(IN TAEMCOLORS!! IMPORTNT!!!) becazue we all did that when we where kid right? anywya i have not seen this yet and i think its very cool so will you make it and tell me?

but if you submit, give credit plz k?
  • James9475
    will you make it and tell me? but if you submit, give credit plz k?

This has gotta be somebody making joke accounts right?...
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Snader wrote: »
    y just talking to my frend about this game, he like it very mutch but i not so but i had an i dea. but i am can not model. =( but anyway here is idea for you if you want to!!!

hat.jpg
    it is like box like where you put in stuff but with holes for looking and a logo(IN TAEMCOLORS!! IMPORTNT!!!) becazue we all did that when we where kid right? anywya i have not seen this yet and i think its very cool so will you make it and tell me?

but if you submit, give credit plz k?

hi snader i srtaed on the hat you want make wanted making goin good so far will start textrue 2nite!!!

p.s. i think we should share credit or split credit because i think i shod credt
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Ok I actually want to get this in game now.
    2jcvh1c.png
  • Grobi
    Ahahaha, I want that hat so bad.
  • AgeNt_
    alright, bit of an update. rounded the edges and fixed some uneven stuff.
    added blue texture to it.
    render5.jpg
    render6.jpg
  • Old Painless
    that spy hat is looking slick ageNT, cant wait to get it and keep asking people for their papers while they blow me to pieces
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
  • Old Painless
    love the name, thoughts of any abilities for it?
  • Sharkisss
    A quick try on the respirator for engie

engineegraspirator.jpg
    engineegraspirator1.jpg

It still needs a lot of modeling. Going to update this thing tomorrow
  • NeoDement
    Medic's already pretty much got that
  • Karkasmolenklok
    NeoDement wrote: »
    Medic's already pretty much got that
    Yeah, he'll have to go a different way with it I think.
  • Von32
    I've been working on a Raccoon Hat for engy for a while now. I've also wanted to make it for a few other classes once this is done...
    I mainly have concepts/ 2d renders in PS.

My modeling experience is terrible though.- as you can see.
    Like.. 99% of you will laugh at this.

Tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong and how to make it better.

I just want to turn the model into ONE object and skin it.
    Then I'd LOVE to add bones to the tail.

Anyway- I really want to submit a hat, but I just need someone to hold my hand through this. I'm completely lost/inexperienced. Help.
    I really want to learn.

GodDamnIt.png
  • Brettthefirst
    Hi,

I'm new here. I've just started using 3DS max to model hats. After watching several modelling tutorials on youtube and successfully completing the tutorial thread on the steam forums to make hats I've now started work on a hat for the Pyro:
    jester1.jpg

This represents around an hour's work. I'm now going to try making the 3 cones(?) looking a little more natural in both bends and shape (they need to be a little flat-er) and then go on with making the whole thing a little smoother.

So, if anybody has any feedback or advice then please share, it'll be gratefully recieved. Please do bear in mind that I have only just (around 3 days ago) started using these softwares so it'd be appreciated if any advice would be given in VERY simple terms.

• sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    fearian wrote: »
    Ok I actually want to get this in game now.
    2jcvh1c.png

love the jpg artifacts. helps sell it imo
  • Spacey
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaC: The standalone and world model both look great, but the way he's holding it in the first person view looks...strange to me. Like the blade is rotated in or he's having a hard time holding it and is about to fumble it? Maybe it's a size thing? I'm not sure exactly what it is that irks me...Totally unhelpful, I know, but I do like it. You did a great job with the texture.

Von32: You've got the basic shape down already so now it's just a matter of welding all the points together to make it solid. The biggest problem area you're going to have is connecting the tail to the hat (as the shapes don't match up). Just make a ring of edges on the hat part where the two meet and weld them together. Keep working at it, pushing polys, and you'll get it. It'd also be best to screencap your wires so we can help you with any specific problems you come across. :)

I really should finish one of these...

High Society Spats
    spy_spats_wip01.jpg
  • Von32
    @spacey

I hope you like clipping.
    Barf away.

GodDamnIt2.png

In other questions- how do I solidify it?
    I seriously don't know how.
    I got up to this step, but now don't know what to do- I guess I'll have to add a texture through some UVW Unwrapping or something. Pretty clueless.
    Meh :/
  • Von32
    Hi,

I'm new here. I've just started using 3DS max to model hats. After watching several modelling tutorials on youtube and successfully completing the tutorial thread on the steam forums to make hats I've now started work on a hat for the Pyro:
    jester1.jpg

This represents around an hour's work. I'm now going to try making the 3 cones(?) looking a little more natural in both bends and shape (they need to be a little flat-er) and then go on with making the whole thing a little smoother.

So, if anybody has any feedback or advice then please share, it'll be gratefully recieved. Please do bear in mind that I have only just (around 3 days ago) started using these softwares so it'd be appreciated if any advice would be given in VERY simple terms.

Hey, I'm on day one- and you gave me hope. lol.
    Looks great so far =]

If you'd like, I'd LOVE to exchange Steam ID's with you. Maybe you can help me out :p(Everyone else is also welcome)
  • Spacey
    Offline / Send Message
    Von32 wrote: »
    @spacey

I hope you like clipping.
    Barf away.

In other questions- how do I solidify it?
    I seriously don't know how.
    I got up to this step, but now don't know what to do- I guess I'll have to add a texture through some UVW Unwrapping or something. Pretty clueless.
    Meh :/

Nope, that's not very helpful. No reason to show all the backfacing wires and bones and all that jazz. Do this (assuming it's the same in that version of Max): change to a shaded view (F3) then turn on edges (F4). Change the color of the wires by clicking the swatch next to your object name above the modifier stack (I like black). Last, apply a basic material from the material editor (one of the default gray ones will work just fine). That'll make things much easier to see.

And what do you mean by "solidify it?" You can make it all one object by Attaching the separate pieces together. It'll still be separate pieces, but now you can weld the verts together.

Maybe at this stage you'd be better off watching some basic tutorials on the 3dsMax workflow? Back in the day I started off with Poop's great video tutorials (begin with "3DSMax Beginners" and move on to the "Low Poly Character Series" at the bottom of the page). They may be dated, but everything should still be relevant, answer some of your basic questions, and get you off on the right foot!
  • Sharkisss
    I think engie still needs it. It will look like this

respirator-dustmask.jpg

Besides, I'm not going to quit on it now :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Von32: beginning from primitives is a good idea, but you've taken it too far. The way I would have done it would be to have used a primitive for the main shapes of the hat, cut in the edges for where the tail would come out, and then use 'extrude' to extrude those out. Then add a few loops and reposition those to flesh out the curve.

If all of that just sounds like gibberish to you, be sure to watch those tutorials Spacey posted, and then get back to us afterwards if there's still something you don't get.

Brettthefirst: your post is exactly how we like to see it done: tutorials first, then do something, then get feedback.
    I think you're on the right track, and I'm not even sure it needs to be flatter. I imagine those things are filled with something (feathers, hay...), right?
  • Von32
    @Spacey & @MightyPea

Yeah.... I'm gonna... watch those first.. hahaha

If either of you want to help me out past the forum- I'd gladly give you some of my contact info. You know, So I can bother you at 2 in the morning and ask about how to attach ..shapes.. together.

yeah, I actually think I'm going to give up on this around tomorrow. lol
  • Gerre
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    EDIT.... I just fixed this by UV'ing it... if anyone runs into the same problem.

Curious if anyone knows why I may be getting an error compiling my w_model .

ERROR: cannot find bone weapon_bone for bbox
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'weapons\w_models\w_powerjack.mdl'

The bone and the model were exported together out of max.. it's the original bone from the fire axe and it skinned to the mesh... it even says it exported both in the SMD popup... would it have anything to do with no UV's?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    love the spats by the way
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey wrote: »
    JoshuaC: The standalone and world model both look great, but the way he's holding it in the first person view looks...strange to me. Like the blade is rotated in or he's having a hard time holding it and is about to fumble it? Maybe it's a size thing? I'm not sure exactly what it is that irks me...Totally unhelpful, I know, but I do like it. You did a great job with the texture.

It uses the same rotation that the equalizer does. Also the knife blade is in line with the knuckles which is the ideal way to hold a knife.

Just sent it in. Hopefully if they accept, it will increase the air speed and distance of the soldier when held out.