Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I got an email from Robin Walker asking if they could include a link to my steam community profile with the update. I told him he could. Now my community page has completely kicked the bucket from all the traffic!
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey! Very sweet:D
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    :D thats awesome. grats on getting it in!!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    It looks like they retextured it and upped the resolution of the texture? Of course it could just be a different image on the website like it was for the Golden Wrench.
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's just the render they've used, though it is possible they've changed it. I sent it in a long time ago.
  • HaekB
    2W0op.jpg
    And the download link

Took about 3-4 hours. About the polycount...blame Canada.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    HaekB wrote: »
    2W0op.jpg
    And the download link

Took about 3-4 hours. About the polycount...blame Canada.
    You forgot Mexico.
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaC polycounter lvl 13
    PatrickL wrote: »
    At the request of some friends, here is the wrench I made for TF2 way back when the submission process first opened up:

It's now getting included in the Engineer update, and can be seen with a tag linking to my steam profile! Very awesome.

(Yes, that's a bottle opener in the top.)

Congrats on getting your item picked up! Once the update hits, I'll invite you to the TF2 Community Contributors steam group.
  • HaekB
    You forgot Mexico.
    I'll probably end up working on the Mexican Beard tomorrow...or now if I can't sleep.
  • Moosey_G
    Whats up with your UV map Haek? The smallest portion is the springs, but they're taking up the largest part.
  • HaekB
    Springs were originally larger and I uv'd them before the resize. But it's a 256x texture nothing really that needs the space either (Canada could have been more detailed, with paint scraps and such I suppose) But either way, most of the model is too small for any details to show. (Funny how the largest part of the model is the least detailed, ah well)
  • TheTrooper
    After taking a look at all the amazing TF2 Polycount Pack entries I decided to get back into modelling :) After 2 hours maybe and a little sketch on paper this came out:

miniguns.png

Now I'm stuck. I can't decide between 1 and 3. I'm probably gonna stick with number 3. Adda few details and call it done. What do you guys think?

Also, being smaller than the Heavy's minigun, if I ever decide to get it ingame it's going to need a new set of animations right?
  • mradamw
    hey guys sorry another question - is there a way i can get the weapons too? (max files or whatever) so i have scaling reference (ie how big to make the stock of a rifle etc)

Cheers :)
  • IdleTard
    I guess it's time to show something of mine here after lurking so much time.

I bring you Sonya, a minigun replacement based on a concept drawn by NanoSquid on Facepunch.

34yr1tv.jpg

2uj10rc.jpg

25sx1uh.jpg
  • Grobi
    I've been working on texturing a hat I've been working on and just gave it some quick colour;

33p97r7.jpg

I think it looks a little plain as is right now, are there any tips & tricks to TF2 texturing to really make something pop?

I was considering going with a darker reddish brown with more prominent brush strokes but I'd like your opinions on what you think could improve this piece.
  • Bullet
    I'm Really loving Sonya!
    For your adventure hat, try making it look kinda beat up, like it's been on some adventures. That's all that I can really suggest.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    k, calling it done for now. might go and polish it some but going to move onto doing the pack and wand. I'm guessing those would have to be a medic item. Not sure if I'm going classic gb style or if I might use the design that GG_underscore did for the game. If I went classic I could do a neutrona wand for the medigun and do the slime gun for the kritzkrieg. The new design has it all combined in one weapon.

trap_render01.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nukax0EwgcY[/ame]
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    very nice sir!
  • Grobi
    That looks so cool oobersli! Do you mind me asking how you achieved your paint job on it? I'm guessing it's something to do with using a nice brush set and the correct palette.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    thx.

i just used the square brush set that came with cs4. too lazy to load custom brushes yet. As for the pallete I just used this.

tips_palette.gif
  • AAA_BATTERY
    oobersli wrote: »
    if anyone has any info on how to attach effects *like the teleporter effect* to meshes i'd buy you an imaginary twinkie in gratitude.

you would create a bone on the mesh wherever you want the particle effect to spawn from, named "build_point_0" using a rigid bind, that way it will get optimized out when compiling.

and use the $attachment command in the qc file. it should look like this:

$attachment "build_point_0" "name of whatever build_point_0 is parented to" 0.00 -4.00 0.00 rotate -0.00 0.00 0.00

if you did it right it should now use the teleport particle effect once its in-game
  • IdleTard
    you would create a bone on the mesh wherever you want the particle effect to spawn from, named "build_point_0" using a rigid bind, that way it will get optimized out when compiling.

and use the $attachment command in the qc file. it should look like this:

$attachment "build_point_0" "name of whatever build_point_0 is parented to" 0.00 -4.00 0.00 rotate -0.00 0.00 0.00

if you did it right it should now use the teleport particle effect once its in-game

You still need a $keyvalues block in your .qc for that to work. Also, you don't really need to name the bones anything specific, but you do need to make an $attachment to them just like you said.

For using particles in models, look at this:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particles_On_Models

If is still confusing I'll write a mini tutorial.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    IdleTard wrote: »
    You still need a $keyvalues block in your .qc for that to work. Also, you don't really need to name the bones anything specific, but you do need to make an $attachment to them just like you said.

For using particles in models, look at this:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particles_On_Models

If is still confusing I'll write a mini tutorial.

thanks for adding that, when i made a bonk re-skin with a custom particle effect, all i did was do what i wrote, and it worked perfectly. i guess the way the bonk particle is might be different from everything else though...
  • IdleTard
    thanks for adding that, when i made a bonk re-skin with a custom particle effect, all i did was do what i wrote, and it worked perfectly. i guess the way the bonk particle is might be different from everything else though...
    Well, now that I think of it, depending on the situation, it will or it won't work.

I'll try to explain myself. The bonk, like the teleporter or any of the weapons in the game, calls the particles on runtime depending on game events (firing, shell ejection, draw of the weapon, etc.), so making the attachment will suffice for it to work.

I was assuming he wanted to add a different particle effect to a model, not using the same exact particle for the same purpose (ie: make it appear in a teleporter reskin).

So completely my bad if that's the case, as it's not needed to play with the $keyvalues block.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll have to tackle looking into that stuff when my brain is clear. thanks for all the info guys!

i was ultimately wanting to create a teleporter effect but in a cone shape... like the original ghost trap. But if it came down to it I guess the default effect would work too.
  • Veko
    mradamw wrote: »
    hey guys sorry another question - is there a way i can get the weapons too? (max files or whatever) so i have scaling reference (ie how big to make the stock of a rifle etc)

Cheers :)

² this (is there a lazier way they decompiling everything ?)
  • a gentlman
    Whoah that's a big minigun, looks great too :P

Just one thing, the heavy holds the minigun with his right, so that would mean that only the left and top side of the minigun will be visible in 1st person, I could be mistaken and if I am just ignore this comment. I noticed you added a "Mann. Co" insignia to the right of the minigun aka the one that won't be so visible, I recommend moving it to the middle of the left side of that thing around the barrel.

Also, Just a rather simple idea I had for a misc. item, how about binoculars worn around the neck with a strap for the sniper? Definitely something I would use. You could even jigglebone it like the scout's dogtags :)
  • mradamw
    some progress on an idea for a replacement shotgun for the Heavy - introducing The Grizzly

TF2-Grizzly_wire.jpg

Two variants at the moment...any feedback would be excellent as have never modelled weaponry before. Again, if anyone has a zip file with some decompiled weapons in them, i would love them forever!

BYE!
  • a gentlman
    Ooh, cool shotgun mradam.

I like the large clip on the right but it would probably be pretty hard to animate as it is now, although if you would change the clip so that you couldn't see the shells it might be pretty cool, could use the same or similar reload animation as the snipers SMG, oh and you should probably make the trigger a lot wider, there's no way the heavy's hand is going to fit into that ;)

Another idea; how about using the pistol hand placement but still making it a shotgun, would be pretty awesome to see the Heavy firing a shotgun/pistol with one hand :)

The end of the barrel is a little pain too, how about making it look a little sawn-off and damaged?

Barrel could be just a little bit longer too, more like the left one.

Bottom line; shotgun converted into one-handed sawn-off shotgun/pistol = win.
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Only thing I have to add is that the trigger area might me too little for the Heavy's hands. From the TF wiki:

"The Heavy's hands are so large, he grips the pump of his shotgun with only his thumb and index finger, and can spin his shotgun around his finger as a taunt. He also holds the Sandvich and Dalokohs Bar in this fashion."
  • Grobi
    I like the weapon on the left and it looks like it would be the easiest for the heavy to wield, although the ammo clip on the second is pretty looking and I like the slightly stubbier nature of it. I think your main concerns would be fitting it to the heavies huge hands and making sure it lay well against the hip, perhaps reducing the size of the handle would help?

Just been painting this hat some more. I think I'm making some progress but I'm still not sure on it;

140x750.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Gonna start on a weapon replacement for the wrangler. Really loving the idea also have a hat idea to go with the mini sentries :)
  • mradamw
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys! Agreed 100% trigger hole and reload thingy should be bigger (again would be excellent to have a weapon for reference sake)

The thought behind this is as follows: secondary weapon that is utterly devestating at close range but accuracy and damage falloff dramatically. It will use large bore custom made shells (as cleary money isn't an object when it comes to this guys weapnry)

I imagine him holding it like a normal shotgun, and using a winchester-like style of cocking it after each shot. The Big Baby was a big inspiration for this (basically its a monster shotgun made just for this dude :)

I'm still roughing it out and will definitely take the suggestions to age / damage it slightly. I honestly don't know if it would even work ingame so just gonna learn as I go :) the name will likely change too
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    Grobi wrote: »
    I like the weapon on the left and it looks like it would be the easiest for the heavy to wield, although the ammo clip on the second is pretty looking and I like the slightly stubbier nature of it. I think your main concerns would be fitting it to the heavies huge hands and making sure it lay well against the hip, perhaps reducing the size of the handle would help?

Just been painting this hat some more. I think I'm making some progress but I'm still not sure on it;

140x750.jpg

bake an ao map to overlay your diffuse and that'll do a lot of the shading for you.
  • Moosey_G
    Hey grobi, might I suggest you take a look at how your painted your uv around the seem? Instead of hiding it, it seems you've boosted it's notice-ability. Not that I think anyone in game would notice, but something to consider. That hat looks good none the less.
  • mradamw
    TheTrooper wrote: »
    After taking a look at all the amazing TF2 Polycount Pack entries I decided to get back into modelling :) After 2 hours maybe and a little sketch on paper this came out:

miniguns.png

Now I'm stuck. I can't decide between 1 and 3. I'm probably gonna stick with number 3. Adda few details and call it done. What do you guys think?

Also, being smaller than the Heavy's minigun, if I ever decide to get it ingame it's going to need a new set of animations right?

#3 FTW! really cool design there dude - love the aparatus to get the barrel spinning! is that gonna be like an electric thing? if so - get some wiring in there - otherwise what about making those motors run on like diesel or something? nothing more intimidating than a machine gun that sounds like a v10 tractor, revving up just before you die hehe (if you go with the diesel idea, maybe a little gas tank and an exhaust pipe?) awesome either way
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on some new hats/accessories for a few classes, all of which are steam punk themed. Here's an early shot of the Engineers new goggles!

gogglesq.jpg
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Worked on my old TF2 hat, since the Polycount Contest inspired me to work more on Team Fortress 2 items.

This was originally called "The Command Shell" and was green. But due to the colors conflicting with Team Fortress 2's color palette and the name not being great, I decided to rework it.

Here's the Texan's Turtle Top!

35k6azb.png

I added Team Colors that blend in well with the Engineer character model rather than the original green color. From what I've seen, Green is usually reserved for environment colors, very rarely are any character items green. So I decided to go with the team colored route. I think the current model/texture combo is the best and I've resubmitted it to Valve.
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    Started off with this as a possible sniper rifle replacement,

rifle_wip_06.png

Then I decided I didn't like the model, but before scrapping it I started playing with it and came up with this as a possible shotgun replacement.

pug_wip_02.png
  • mradamw
    JoshuaC - digging the new shotgun there man, really cool :) i think make the magazine a little fatter (sideways) as shotgun shells are pretty beefy

RossC - haha classic!

PatrickL - I like it dude, i like it alot

Small update on my shotty - took some inspiration from the miniguns (regarding the ammo barrel on the side) im thinking like 8 shells in there or something. Not really sure how to "close" off the back of the shotgun so any ideas would be cool. sitting at about 3,5k at the moment.

Ive increased the size on the trigger guard and reload mechanism so (hopefully accomodate the heavy's sausage fingers)

TF2-Grizzly_wire2.jpg

EDIT: upon looking at this (can't believe i didnt pick it up before - guess im tired) but the sliding cocking mechanism below the cartridge ejector is UTTERLY redundant as the new round is chambered by cocking the trigger guard thing like on the scouts scattergun) so this will get removed...DOH
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    started work on the neutrona wand *proton gun from ghostbusters* to go along with my trap. Lots of just playing with shapes to make it tf2 and still keep elements of the wand. the pack is after this also. The red parts are from the medigun. They're just temp till i can build up around them for scale.

nutronwand01.jpg
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome project oobersli, I cant wait to see the proton pack. Considering the new engi update you should totally make one of these to replace the Wrangler.
    http://www.yourprops.com/norm-45d5fa081e82b-Ghostbusters+%281984%29.jpeg
  • ShadowBrain
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek wrote: »
    Awesome project oobersli, I cant wait to see the proton pack. Considering the new engi update you should totally make one of these to replace the Wrangler.
    http://www.yourprops.com/norm-45d5fa081e82b-Ghostbusters+%281984%29.jpeg

thx. Once i saw the wrangler The pke meter popped into my head. my ghostbuster pack keeps getting bigger and bigger.
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    mradamw, what program are you using? Your model looks really nice! Extremely clean geometry.
  • seven
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    This is way cool, if he's going to have stronger shot at short range you should increase the heavy's speed by 10 or 15% so he's as fast as the medic when wielding this weapon. That way he can get within range and not be just a big dumb target.
    mradamw wrote: »
    JoshuaC - digging the new shotgun there man, really cool :) i think make the magazine a little fatter (sideways) as shotgun shells are pretty beefy

RossC - haha classic!

PatrickL - I like it dude, i like it alot

Small update on my shotty - took some inspiration from the miniguns (regarding the ammo barrel on the side) im thinking like 8 shells in there or something. Not really sure how to "close" off the back of the shotgun so any ideas would be cool. sitting at about 3,5k at the moment.

Ive increased the size on the trigger guard and reload mechanism so (hopefully accomodate the heavy's sausage fingers)

TF2-Grizzly_wire2.jpg

EDIT: upon looking at this (can't believe i didnt pick it up before - guess im tired) but the sliding cocking mechanism below the cartridge ejector is UTTERLY redundant as the new round is chambered by cocking the trigger guard thing like on the scouts scattergun) so this will get removed...DOH
  • Bullet
    Oobersli, I don't think you should continue your Ghostbusters Medic theme.
    I'm afraid that a thoughtless medic would accidentally cross his stream with another medic's and... well... I don't how else to explain it to you but, try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. Nobody would want that to happen.
  • JoshuaC
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunch of changes.

pug_wip_06.png
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Concept/mockup for a hat I'm going to start tomorrow.

zip_stuntmanhat_concept.jpg

I tried it out a variation using a Scottish flag and a variation using solid stripes but this one looks the most interesting. I might end up submitting a few textures to Valve though.