Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Progg

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Progg polycounter lvl 11
UPDATE: 6/27/10... DONE!

Progg__s_TF2_Pack_by_proggeh.jpg

=========================================================================================

Don't forget Proggie!

Well.. I have been away for the last 4-5 days on a crazy job interview trip.. but I definitely want to try and compete in this contest. I am jetlagged right now but I have concepted a really quick sketch of some basic ideas.. with a bit of reference material I am using.

Class Selection:The Pyro
My Theme: 'The Gas Man'

56e3e15b8b4ae092_large
40725d1257812794-50s-gas-station-attendant-help-attendant.jpg

I always considered the Pyro to be a little bit nutty, so for my theme I chose to do a gas station service man. Humble, 1950s gas station attendant by day, crazy pyromaniac by night... the smell of fresh gas fumes and the squeal of a squeegee on window is just what this once humble service man loves the most.

3 Items:(Official Names will be determined later)

1. The Attendant (HAT ITEM) - hat and a bowtie together in a 1950's gas station attendant's style.

gasman.jpg

theattendant.jpg

2. The De-Greaser (PRIMARY WEAPON ITEM) - old school 50s gas pump handle attached together with an old gas-can or something along those lines. The barrel will be crafted from an old WW2 style stove burner and some other gas station items such as a metal funnel. The underside will be attached an old school fire extinguisher. The compression blast will now eject CO2 particles and icey gas instead of the standard air blast, thus helping to further extinguish teammates and deflect rockets. I still haven't completely worked out the entire style of the flamethrower yet... I'll concept that out next.
thedegreaser.jpgCwzUCVjIi1QPsrA.jpg9364_jpg.jpg78454433.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=82EB172C4407816CB89FC6E16BDA7478BD6842E3DA2D824DE7A38675DC4FF1EDdegreasermodel1.jpgdegreasermodel2.jpg

3. The Powerjack (MELEE WEAPON ITEM) - antique automobile jack to lift up cars to replace spare tires. Packs a devastating punch with the weight of the car battery.

model_A_jack.jpg
powerjack.jpg

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    That hat paintover is slick. I'm going to keep an eye on this.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Great ideas! Can't wait to see the flamethrower replacement develop.

I have one tip for you though. I don't think your flamethrower should be designed too much around the C02 design since it could lower your chances of having it chosen. The rules also specifically state that you should replace the functionality of current items, not come up with new things like CO2 blasts. Of course many people are ignoring that because it's boring to stay within the functionality of most weapons. You could definitely still go with the idea of the C02 but I don't think you should focus much on integrating it into the model. A kick ass gas pump flamethrower would be great enough. Sorry for the long rant but I just wanted to make sure you know this is supposed to be completely about the art.

Looking forward to seeing this thread progress!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Great ideas! Can't wait to see the flamethrower replacement develop.

I have one tip for you though. I don't think your flamethrower should be designed too much around the C02 design since it could lower your chances of having it chosen. The rules also specifically state that you should replace the functionality of current items, not come up with new things like CO2 blasts. Of course many people are ignoring that because it's boring to stay within the functionality of most weapons. You could definitely still go with the idea of the C02 but I don't think you should focus much on integrating it into the model. A kick ass gas pump flamethrower would be great enough. Sorry for the long rant but I just wanted to make sure you know this is supposed to be completely about the art.

Looking forward to seeing this thread progress!

Thanks for the tip Zip. I didn't plan on changing the behavior of the flamethrower.. I do think it would be cool to have it be a bit of co2 particle effects instead of the air blast, but it will only use the airblast effect initially.. it will still work just blasting air from the extinguisher.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think a CO2 blast is a good idea but I don't see how it fits in with the gas pump/serviceman theme at all. Maybe you could design an item based on it outside of the contest just for fun.
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice ideas Progg
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think a CO2 blast is a good idea but I don't see how it fits in with the gas pump/serviceman theme at all. Maybe you could design an item based on it outside of the contest just for fun.

Every gas station will have plenty of fire extinguisher's around, trust me. That's the thing with gas, sometimes it's a bit of a fire risk.
  • Snex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking the hat and the gas pump, I think your 3rd idea, the squeegee needs some work.
    Maybe forget the melee and try a secondary or misc item.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Update to the hat and bowtie concept. I'm calling it The Attendant for now. Added the bowtie... calling it done and moving onto the weapons.

pyrocapwithtie.jpg
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally another Pyro set submitted, the hat looks pretty swell, re minds me of the milk man someone is doing for the scout. Can't wait to see how the flamethrower will come out.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    This is where I was thinking I would head with the squeegee I have dubbed The Squeeg. Basically my idea was to shorten the overall rubber blade length so it was more stocky and weapon like and incorporate some broken window shards of glass into the other end of it :)

thesqueeg.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    you could always shape it to look like the axe with the head on the side. or atleast make it longer.
  • Luxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bowtie should be misc.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    huge glass pieces in a rubber blade - now thats some constructed coincidental weapon creation :D
    you should finally get going and create some models for me to drool over ;)
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The squeegie/glass idea is great. Can't wait to see some models.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Model mostly done.

so... bowtie with the hat or as a misc item. And if misc... can we submit 4 things?

theattendantwip.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Sweet! I like how loose and floppy the hat looks.

Also, no jokes about loose and floppy. I mean it.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving the hat.

I'm wondering about your flamethrower though, as the original already uses a 50's gas handle thingie...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice! I don't like the position of the badge though. I think it should either be in the center or removed completely.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    That hat is rad. Great modeling. Already I think it's my favorite for the Pyro.

Valve is going to have their work cut out for them just choosing one or two sets to include.:)
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    That hat is rad. Great modeling. Already I think it's my favorite for the Pyro.

Valve is going to have their work cut out for them just choosing one or two sets to include.:)
    Unless they do the smart/cool thing and make an update including more than 1 hat per class. ...Since it's so incredibly easy to integrate hats.
  • Huuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YOu've got some solid stuff there Progg. Looking forward to seeing your end results.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Damn. I'm at a bit of a standstill right now because I can't decide whether to pair the bowtie and the hat together like I did the hound dog items or to have them be misc... I think it fits the theme better to have the 2 come as 1 item.. but what do you guys think?
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg wrote: »
    Damn. I'm at a bit of a standstill right now because I can't decide whether to pair the bowtie and the hat together like I did the hound dog items or to have them be misc... I think it fits the theme better to have the 2 come as 1 item.. but what do you guys think?

Submit them as a combo and also submit them as separate items. Let valve decide what to do.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    together

no chance about it

together

whiskered gentleman and this?

would be godly.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good Progg :).
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha very nice! in my opinion it fits very well to the game.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, looking excellent so far. :-)
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say keep it as 1 item, would go great with Whiskered Gentlemanne attached. Loving the concept so far, let's see how it progresses.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    hahaha nice work on the hat and bow tie, reminds me of steve martins 'jerk'
  • Nzdjh
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nzdjh wrote: »
    I love the hat. For whatever reason it just seems to go perfectly with the Pyro. Even unfinished it looks awesome.
    Shoot, just try it with a few color variations (red/blu for the main part) with a black strap, etc.)

Soon as i see a flamethrower then i'll really start doing jazz hands though :P
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion, I think that the hat should be a tad bit bigger, more in line with your original Mock-up. Other than that, it's awesome.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I can't for the life of me get the textures to load in the model viewer :( I never compiled the stuff for the Hound Dog... I got the model to compile but for some reason even with the .qc and .vmt pointing to the right area I can't get textures to show up.

the_attendant_final.jpg
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm, did you double checked that model in 3d software was having this texture binded before export, and you placed the textures in tf/materials/models/player/items/pyro/ (not just in tf/models/player/items/pyro/). Anyways this is really frustrating process, you need to experiment... maybe just name vtf the same as vmt, or just name everything the same, so it would be easier. Also you could post you /qc, and begining of .vmt, and for sure someone will help ASAP :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was the name of your material applied to the hat in 3DS the same as your VMT? That's the first thing I'd think is wrong. Otherwise one of your files is probably referencing the wrong location.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    This is a quote from the materials section of this site, it managed to solve one of the many problems I was also having like this.

http://www.kathar.net/hl2modding/errors.php
    Pre-export Checks:
    By doing this check, we can figure out whether the issue is (at least partly) caused by incorrectly applying the texture before exporting your model as an SMD. The quickest and easiest way of checking to see if your reference .smd has correctly applied textures is by opening it up with a text editor (wordpad is good for this). Now, just scroll half-way through and you should see that every three rows of numbers, another line follows, which should show your texture's name. If it does, your model exported fine and this isn't the problem (don't worry about what file extension it shows, in my experience any extension is fine). However, if the line that follows the three rows of numbers is blank, or shows "debug/debugempty", then you either didn't apply a texture to the model at all, or didn't apply it correctly. I can't help with this as every application differs, so search google if you're unsure how to apply a texture properly. Also, if you have more than one texture, check that all of them can be seen in the SMD.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    EDIT:

Got it to work. However I noticed on some exaggerated animations the bowtie pulls away from the body :(... not sure how I am going to handle that.

hlmv.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg wrote: »
    hmmm .. I looked through that post and checked my stuff. I just don't see the problem. What should my .qc and .vmt look like code wise?

And no the material in max was a tga before I exported the SMD.. how could it be the same as the VMT

I didn't say be the same as the VMT. I said have the same name. The .MDL looks for a VMT file that has the same name of the material that was applied when the SMD was exported. Then it textures the model based off of the info in the VMT.

Also if you don't mind post the text in your VMT and .QC.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I didn't say be the same as the VMT. I said have the same name. The .MDL looks for a VMT file that has the same name of the material that was applied when the SMD was exported. Then it textures the model based off of the info in the VMT.

Also if you don't mind post the text in your VMT and .QC.

Got it to work sorry Zip.. you were right on the name.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That bowtie in the animation problem doesn't seem like too big a deal. You could always make it a clip on tie and have a bit of wire holding it in place (like those wires on puppets hands in Sesame Street). That way it will be comedic when it is out of place - you'll see the Pyro couldn't connect it properly and just stuck it on a wire taped to his suit.

Or just have a strap around his neck so it looks like it's hanging down.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe you can make attachements to different bones even if it's a hat in the qc file. Maybe if you'd attach it on the neck bone instead of the "bip_head".
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah mico27 is right. I'd try that first.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    EDIT:

Nice call on the different bone. Bound the bowtie to the neck bone and it works great now.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Calling 'The Attendant' hat done for now. Working on the flamethrower tomorrow.

theattendant.jpg
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work, the bowtie really makes it click together :)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you leaving it gray? Maybe off-white with team colored strap clasp?
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked it gold, it matched the Pyro's container. Also the badge could be the team colored thing if he added it.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you 2 or 3 separate versions of your hat?
    One with bowtie and hat, one with just the hat, and one with just the bowtie.

In case Valve decides that hats aren't allowed to have additional items that aren't direct part of the hat :O
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think they would disallow that.