Home Technical Talk

TexTools 3.0+

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i'm gettin a weird issue where in the unwrap window if i switch to vertex mode it acts as if i have a selection locked even when i have nothig selected (move icon is always up and i can not select anything)
    i'm also using unwrap tools 1.5 with it that may be the problem
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    Love Textools been using them for a while, great job.
    Wishing there was something like this for maya as my new job requires me to use it.
    Anyone of know of anything like this for maya?
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Wow, this sort function works perfect for me! Thanks for your help!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried this out on my newest project, and damn is it awesome!

This has already saved me quite a lot of time..
  • AreDub3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, renderhjs.

Is it possible to specify the Photoshop it opens? I'd like it to open 32-bit, but it's opens 64-bit by default (but not if the 32-bit version is already open, so not a huge deal).

Thanks.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    is there an uninstall for this? Got some issues with no right click in my uv viewport now and going to try and remove any plugins to see which one is causing me headaches..
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    is there an uninstall for this? Got some issues with no right click in my uv viewport now and going to try and remove any plugins to see which one is causing me headaches..
    just drag the MZP file again in the viewport, there should be a big Uninstall button. That one swipes everything ever created by TexTools (including macroscript shortcuts caused by max and temporary Max/Win generated files).
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    suhwweeet.. thanks.
  • animax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animax polycounter lvl 15
    hey renderhjs, awesome work on the script man.Love the new additions.It works a lot faster than the last version.

I have been trying the new Seam Fixing feature, but for reason doesnt work for me.

According to the documentation, and in my case too

- select unwrapped object(make sure some material with texture is applied)
    - Seam fixing set to get View, clicked
    - in ps, create new doc and paste
    - do the things, copy merged
    - back in max, seam fix set to get tex and done?

BUT,It keeps throwing the error "There is no Bitmap in the clipboard"

I did check, if the clipboard is empty.Pasted the copied stuff in another photoshop document and the clipboard has the stuff.

Am i missing anything here?
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Hi Renderhjs,

I'm sorry but i insist with the bug of the checker toggle. That was perfectly working with previous versions of textools.

Problem :

-If you click on the check button 3 times your original shader will be replaced by a standard material (Grey, blue, or yellow ...).

Here is a video (please take a look) :

http://screencast.com/t/NTAzZjU0O
  • alz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alz
    Yup -- that's what's been happening to me as well
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    This plugin is quite possibly the most awesome thing since tits.

Renderhjs, if you're ever in Seattle, I'll buy you a beer (or whatever you prefer).
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Bump.
    What ever happened to the compress tool?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Bump.
    What ever happened to the compress tool?
    I already answered the same question a page back
    It's not gone instead the sort function already has that functionality to begin with. Just select 1 shell and hit either left or right mouse button on: ico_line_up.gif
    That way you can align or compress its orientation either horizontal or vertical. The truth is that booth functions shared the same logic from the beginning so I ditched one of them because the sort button can do booth.

Cathodeus: will have a look at that soon.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    @ DEElekgolo

Compress
    It's not gone instead the sort function already has that functionality to begin with. Just select 1 shell and hit either left or right mouse button on:ico_line_up.gif
    That way you can align or compress its orientation either horizontal or vertical. The truth is that booth functions shared the same logic from the beginning so I ditched one of them because the sort button can do booth.
  • Aaron_Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaron_Fang polycounter lvl 17
    Really Powerful tool! Thanks renderhjs

I met the same issue with smer. Install failed on my windows xp with Chinese lang.
    I found the problem is the "degree" character in this part:
    messagebox "You dont have smoothing groups on your model to split into. So it will be split with a default of 60°"

maybe we use different character type of this "degree". I modified your .mzp file and installed again with no error.I have tried 3dsmax 9 and 3dsmax 2010, all ok.

If any one need this modification,you can go here for the .mzp file: http://www.box.net/shared/u7girildyy

thanks
    aaron
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    renderhjs
    Would it be possible to get a modified UV Normaliziation? Currently it scales the bigger shell down and the smaller shell up. I need a function, where shells scaled to a reference shell.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I really wanted to use this tool, but the other times I used it (previous version), it nukes my UV channel select, so I can only work on Channel 1, and can't change to any other channels, and the problem presists after I removed the plugin, so I had to reinstall 3DS Max. Any chance you could tell me if I just messed up (using it wrong), or if that was a bug that got fixed in this version?

To specify, after installing the plugin, after I applied Unwrap UVW on a model, when I click on the Map Channel to change to another channel, it usually pops up with a warning that you will lose your changes ect, but after installing it, nothing happens, no warning, no change of UV, the number change, just nothing else.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, when I tried to apply /toggle checkered pattern on multi object upwrap, it only worked on the first object selected (think it was the first). Also, the texel density thing didn't work on multiple pieces, although using the other textel density (set texels I think) works (guy I know tried it).
  • ShadowFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if this is common, but why is it not possible to undo a "linear" UV spline, once you use linear it wont undo that task but just jump straight to any other task commited before?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    so some small fixes and 1 update:
    1. Fix for chinese windows users: error with ° character in the split by smoothing groups script.
    2. Installation comes with a temporary manual installation instruction should it fail to install the easy way.
    3. Max2008+ only: New Button in the Pixel Transform Floater 'snapPix' wich will snap the selection to pixels depending on the Texture size setup. Usefull when doing low poly/ pixel art.
      snappixels01.gif
    4. Minor fix regarding the Transform Floater when starting it again. Someone at cryptic had a crash with it hope it is fixed with this.
    5. Fixed double undo for the Linear button (aligning edges or verts on a line). Undo was actually working but you had to press it twice in order to undo just once.

new download link location:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/TexTools_3.10.mzp
    just install on top of v3.0 if you installed that before.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    McGreed wrote: »
    I really wanted to use this tool, but the other times I used it (previous version), it nukes my UV channel select, so I can only work on Channel 1, and can't change to any other channels, and the problem presists after I removed the plugin, so I had to reinstall 3DS Max. Any chance you could tell me if I just messed up (using it wrong), or if that was a bug that got fixed in this version?
    To specify, after installing the plugin, after I applied Unwrap UVW on a model, when I click on the Map Channel to change to another channel, it usually pops up with a warning that you will lose your changes ect, but after installing it, nothing happens, no warning, no change of UV, the number change, just nothing else.
    I am not touching any settings within 3dsMax, really! TexTools just uses what's already available 96% in the interface. So whenever it changes the UV channel its just the same as you would change it yourself in the modifier panel and hit Edit... again.
    There is though some background info I know of and I guess its kind of the reason why they added that plain stupid warning popup:

There is not yet 2nd channel in the memory if you haven't used it before for some some historic reason. But it needs the arrays of that new channel in order to work with them. By default it copies the one below it. So a 2nd channel will always be a copy of the first one if you create it for the first time.

And yes I was able to reproduce what you have, though it works again for me if hit the button "Reset UVW's" in the modifier panel. It should copy the current state into the new UV channel or so I believe and let you edit that UV channel.
    I will have another look into the UV channel stuff to make more sense of it, its seriously fucked up in max imo. though.

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Sorry if this is common, but why is it not possible to undo a "linear" UV spline, once you use linear it wont undo that task but just jump straight to any other task commited before?
    Fixed with the latest 3.10 update. There was actually a double undo command in the script so you had to actually hit undo twice to undo once :D but its fixed now!
    mLichy wrote: »
    Oh, when I tried to apply /toggle checkered pattern on multi object upwrap, it only worked on the first object selected (think it was the first). Also, the texel density thing didn't work on multiple pieces, although using the other textel density (set texels I think) works (guy I know tried it).
    Most scripts started with a single object concept in mind (thats how I used to work before, the way UVLayout and others work nice with). But yeah obviously stuff will be changing in future releases supporting multiple object selections for Max2008+ users.
    As for the Texel Stuff: it only makes sense to me the way it is right now. Because usually you want to get a texel Ratio from a single object, the one you want to target.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I'm really sorry if this bug has been addressed already.

But when cycling through the checker patterns, the 4rd one which was supposed to be my textured one, now gives me a black material. It has been like this since 3.0.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I just used your tool for the first time in ages, and I wanted to thank you for all your hard work.

'Mirror' function is so useful, for instance mirroring most of an organic model, but unique unwrap of face or other area means usually a bit of faffing to make it symmetrical, but no more! Just 1 press and it is done!

Thanks again, a very useful toolbox! :D
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hooray for snap-to-pixel!

this just keeps getting better, man.
  • alz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alz
    alz wrote: »
    If I set the Texel ratio to 4:1 and pick the Texel size, it comes back as 1263:315 instead of 4:1 (which is roughly 4:1). Is there any way to prevent this odd, larger ratio when picking?
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Yeah I planned that at some time, finding the shortest devision ratio. What I pick is actually the texture sized used (root of square size) and same for world units used (root of square size of the surface area).
    Will see maybe I can add that to v3.0.

Something like rounding to the nearest whole # in relation to "1"? Perhaps an .ini option for either way?

Nearest texel ratio:
    [  ~4  ]
    [    1  ]

?
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Would it be possible to get the split "explode UV angle based" script to separate the newly created UV islands by moving them out a unit or two? Right now it repacks\sorts them after you run it.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    To somewhat mirror what Linkitch said, a space evenly button much like what chuggnut's uv tools has would be a great addition. It comes in super handy when unwrapping anything cylindrical.

alignExample.jpg

Either way, great work with the tools.
  • amircoh28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I'm trying to install manually because the auto install didn't succeed somehow.

I walked through the steps you written to manually installation if somethings goes wrong and did it by the order.

all went well until the F11 > run script ... this message pop up to me.

--Type error: pasteBitmap requires BitMap, got: undefinded

I don't know what to do. how to go on???

FYI

Win 7
    64 Bit
    16 GB Ram
    2 quadro processors

Thanks a lot.

Amir.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    looks great! thanks for all that work!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I am updating atm. some of the GUI stuff as I learned recently how to trigger custom context menu scripts. It should organize things a bit better and finally add some templates for common texture sizes without having to type them manually.
    textools_3.5_context_menus.gif
    As for the Tools menu , I am thinking of standalone tools that don't fit inside the other panels. This could be for example tools such as swapping UV channels, copy UV channels, Export UV as Illustrator file, open the vertex Channel Listener and some other stuff.
  • Doorstop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff render!!
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    that sounds lovely, rhjs! :)
  • alz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alz
    Nice! Can't wait for your next release :)
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I just learned about the menu stuff too. Do u mean right click, then show that menu, right?
  • jammy jammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amircoh28 wrote: »
    well I'm trying to install manually because the auto install didn't succeed somehow.

I walked through the steps you written to manually installation if somethings goes wrong and did it by the order.

all went well until the F11 > run script ... this message pop up to me.

--Type error: pasteBitmap requires BitMap, got: undefinded

I don't know what to do. how to go on???

FYI

Win 7
    64 Bit
    16 GB Ram
    2 quadro processors

Thanks a lot.

Amir.

Hi i was just wondering if this error was fixed cos i have the same 1 with the pastebitmap section cheers
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    @ Jammy Jammer & Amircoh28:
    It means that for you guys max can't access the bitmap TexTools GUI bitmap, code snippet quote:
    local url = (pathConfig.GetDir #userScripts)+"TexToolsTexTools_gui.bmp";--url to the GUI icons
    bmp_spr_gui = openBitMap url;
    So as you can see it expects a that GUI bitmap to be located in the userScripts/TexTools directory, which is usually:
    C : Documents and SettingsUSERNAMELocal SettingsApplication DataAutodesk3dsmax2010 - 32bitenuscriptsTexTools
    So make sure that the TexTools_gui.bmp file is inside that folder.

It is really annoying that installation for a minority does not work automatically and in most cases its because of some Windows folder access rights, at least that's what I believe.

A update is hopefully comming soon, some new stuff besides some bug fixes:
    1. UV Canvas Extend similar behavior like the one in Photoshop
      texTools3.5_extend_uvs.jpg
      But besides resizing things you can also define just a offset all based on a initial origin position or pivot so it feels more like any other app coordinates wise.
    2. Convert UV to Spline and or Export with shell outline mode or just wireframe
      textoolsuvsplines.png
      I am using it atm. for a Flash vector Texture for a project and trying to make it easy to import it into Photoshop as curves
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    thanks hendrik, this tool is pure gold!
    its a real timesaver and also gave us a starting point for our own texelcorrect bakingscripts.
    keep it up!
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I miss your stack button from the previous versions. It didn't always work but when it did I was happy with it! I'd like to see it come back :)

And thanks for the tools, I always use them.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    update:

v 3.2:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/TexTools_3.20.mzp

texTools3.2.jpg

changes:
    • added convert UV to shape/Vector under 'Tools'
    • added resize UV canvas which lets you resize and shift the UV's within the canvas in a convenient way
    • Various bugfixes regarding the transform type in floater (thanks goes to Cryptic studio for a bugfix by one of their tech guys). Also some regarding asian OS systems.
    • smal tweaks to default settings including: padding size, texel values, grid size of the UV editor (2x2 grid), thin UV seam display, GUI icons transparency, ...
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't download.... links broken, or ur sites down or something :(
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    works here in Australia even though the server is in Germany. Download it alternatively from scriptspot where I uploaded it as well:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/textools-toolbox-for-the-texture-artist
    http://www.scriptspot.com/files/TexTools_3.20.mzp
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot for this awesome tool box!.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    You're making me want to switch from maya to max :( Good job though...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey hj, I had a suggestion for a tool:

This builds on something already available, namely the split command. For starters, the fact that it doesn't work on your face-selection but instead everything at once is a shame (also, a warning to that effect might be nice!)
    I'm looking for a tool that splits uv-islands at smoothing-group borders and moves them a certain distance apart, for the purpose of avoiding black lines on your normalmapped asset. This seems to me to be something that a script would be pretty good at, so then I ask myself: Why am I doing this?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    ... and moves them a certain distance apart
    how and what?
    The split by smoothing groups is already build in and is the default behavior of the 'split' button ico_split.gif when clicked with the left mouse button.

The opposite which is creating smoothing groups based on the UV edges is also already written and will be included in the next release- or as a separate script available at:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1105439&postcount=7
    Booth should help in the process of creating normal mapped assets

Maybe I missed something and there is something else you have in mind?
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for textools!

is there away in textools or max to align two pieces of uv over each other? i need this for when mirroring sections of the model

also on some pieces of gemo when try and split by smoothing groups max crashes. because of this i have to do it by hand. so is there away to select by smoothng group? so i could then join them?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "the fact that it doesn't work on your face-selection but instead everything at once is a shame"
    It fucks up your uvs completely. DOn't know if that's intended behaviour, so if not let me know.

How and what?

Far enough to enable a normal-map bake without black lines along smoothing group-borders, so it would have to know the texture-size, but since you might be baking at double res, it should probably just ask you for the final texture size you want.

So just to clarify: I'd select all the faces I'd want the tool to work on, hit the button and it would break the uv-shells along the borders of smoothing groups. Then, it would move space the resulting shells apart the necessary distance.

edit: Oh yeah, a tool to place uv-shells on top of eachother with one click would be much appreciated, for the purposes of mirroring/tiling
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Softimage has a feture like this where you can put one section of uv ontop then hit somthing like align then move a slider to jump the verts about

abit like weld. but i would use this to align uvs ontop of each other when they had been changed/relaxed into a diffrent shape
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, in regards to split:
    even though my model blatantly does have smoothing groups, it tells me it doesn't. This might be an indication that something somewhere is going wrong. Anything I can do to help you fix this?