Ok finally a new release of TexTools with its own new thread. The former thread
has really grown and I wanted to devote this release its own thread. This is now already the first anniversary of TexTools as its close to exactly 1 year ago since I started this project.What?
A maxScript package shaped into a Photoshop alike toolbar that covers a lot of things for texture artists. One of the key benefits is that you can install it anywhere and almost at any max packages (9+) without the need of administrative rights or script installation knowledge.
Oh and its free!, free to use and free to modify, improve or copy into your own scripting stuff.Homepage:http://renderhjs.net/textools/Youtube Videos:http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0D7878B0B79B344Edownload link:TexTools_3.00.mzp3.0 Changes:
Most noticeable is the new interface and setup that it comes with. These are my attempts on making it even easier to use for first time users. But under the hood there have been many smal improvements.
Some of them:
Multi Object Unwrap
- Options: new settings to change/ store
• completely rewritten ini settings storage engine, rethrieves and sets default values to fall back on
• new and minimalistic GUI for the settings fits better with the overal design decission I took for this project (pixel minimalistic space).
• setting for snap TexTools to UV editor
• setting for force TexTools Colors for UV editor
• save / load values for the Texel inputs
- Setup: Uninstall and Install TexTools
• to install(including Win7 + Vista fixes) with very detailed error stops should something go wrong. In that case you will then know why (i.e no write access to folder/file XYZ)
• uninstall with detailed scanned list of files to be deleted before deleting the files. Swipes all previuous former TexTools files including windows temp directories, macroscript directories, ini file,...
The setup will start as soon as you either run the MZP file or drag it in the viewport. From there on you can install, uninstall get help or abort the setup.
• max8 or older not getting error message regarding reloading icons. So experimental users can try it with Max8 though certainly a few things wont work at all.
- GUI: New Main Toolbar GUI
• uses imgTags instead of outdated buttons which support rollover states and more icon pixel space
• re-arranged Buttons based on typical workflow order and compressed layout
• color codings are now presented using colors in the symbols themselves
• the rollout is created dynamicly so that possible errors and future update times can be decreased dramatically
• removed tools in this release are: stack shells, compress shell orientation (can be done using the sort method)
• new help panel with a overview of all tools and a starting guide plus lots of links to discover and read through.
- Simplified Architecture: MZP archive, Macroscripts, functions,..
• very simple and clean package (easy to install manually as well)
• changed also quite a few filenames and function names to make things more easy for me to update in the future.
• simplified some of the Macroscript descritions so its easier to spot which Macroscript triggers which Functionality. In most cases its just shorter and easier to read.
• cleaned up some macroscripts as their were targeting wrong variable paths, also disabled each macroscripts if TexTools was not loaded in the RAM (to avoid errrors) + added clean Button Labels should you drag Macroscripts into toolbars.
- UV editor: Edit Multiple Objects (max 2008+)
• will open / close the editor also with multiple objects selected
• many functions also ported or made compatible with the new Max2008+ multi object UV edit mode.
• added Open/Close Editor to the macroscripts
• open UV editor keeps UV modifiers now cleaner and consistent. Before if you were not in the modify mode (but instead create, motion,...) it would add additional UV modifiers on top because max returns undefined regarding modifier stack info, so I made it jump everytime you open the UV editor to the Modify panel if you are not in it.
• kill the transform floater if you switch the object, go to a different tab (i.e create, animation,...). Opens each time you open the UV editor though
• new rotate bounding box 90 degree snap in the Pixel Transform Floater (great for Layouting UV sets)
- Texture Maps:
• added again Render UV Mask. Now also works on multple Objects also works on Objects that don't have yet a UV modifier. It will delete it afterwards. Such a nice and simple button now.
• rewrote the "Transfer UV channel Maps" in the render Texture Maps panel. It still only works with just 1 object (because of numMapChannels command missing in the UV_unwrapModifier object). But it should be more flexible as it also not forces a editAble class object anymore.
• fixed issue (I think so) with RTT not working anymore after you used either the AO or some of the map render types from TexTools. (I think the issue was that I set the ...bakeEnabled = false; after the bake, and that option is not availbel in the default 3dsmax RTT window).
- Multi Object: (Max2008+)
currently supported and or made compatible (about 30% of the tools):
• open/close UV editor
• Render: Wire
• Render: Mask
• Explode UV faces
• Split by smoothing groups
• pack UV space
• Relax Faces or edges
• Stitch edges
• Pick and Set texel density have been merged in 1 button. Left click = pick texel density, right click applies a texel density on one or more objects.
• applying texel Density now does not select UV faces and get stuck in the modify panel. That way selecting multiple objects or just one single behaves the same.
As you might heard or read before I started on porting many of the functions towards the max2008 multi object UV editing compatibility but because I still want to keep functions compatible with max9 and that new setup requires a different architecture things aren't that easy to translate.
The following features are for example not yet supported in this mode:
- Missing on this:
• Align edge shell
• Peel mapping
• Checker Map
• Sort in row
- Not intended for the future at all:
• Get / Set Texel
• Swap UV/3D space
• Bake Blockout map
• Bake AO map
• Bake Light Tracer Map
• Bake Cavity map
• Bake hard Edges
• Bake Transfer Texture
quite a big post, I will try to update my website (renderhjs.net/textools) this weekend to match the new icons and tools to the ones already available here.