Home Technical Talk

TexTools 3.0+

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    yeah ty that's what i kinda do, but i expected the script to work with the channel parameter on top.
  • dineyin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, I only recently started using this plugin and it's amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this amazing tool!

I have one small suggestion/request. I've been using the texture baking options since it saves a ton of time in setup to bake the occlusion, but when I bake using the light tracer I get white edges where meshes intersect:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/dineyin/artifact.jpg

however if you set the material to be double sided when you render using the light tracer you get the correct occlusion (never mind that it looks darker I just forgot to remove the color when I rendered to texture):

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/dineyin/no_artifact.jpg

could you possibly add the option to make the material double sided when you do the render to texture? or just make that the default since I don't think anyone would want those white artifacts.

Or if there is another solution for getting rid of them using the tool that I'm missing, please let me know.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i scanned back a few pages but have not seen an answer the Pshop edit that is sposed to open all the textures in pshop does not seem to work on multisubs, i'm usin max 2009 and pshop cs4 with dds textures

I WAS WRONG i was trying it with a custom shader that we use here at work and that prob confused things.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just found this thread, thanks for this tool it's awesome, specially the normalize uv shells....no more edge distortion #$%#!
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I have a little problem with the plugin, when I have something selected in my UV editor and then click on the icon to open TexTools side bar, all the vertex collaps into a line, and I have to undo it, but apparently it also undo my last action in the UV editor (which is usually some kind of unwrap/flatting action). I'm using 3DS Max 2009.
  • surlyrabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rectify never works for me. it looks like it does something but its always messy and not at right angles. any ideas?
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    McGreed wrote: »
    I have a little problem with the plugin, when I have something selected in my UV editor and then click on the icon to open TexTools side bar, all the vertex collaps into a line, and I have to undo it, but apparently it also undo my last action in the UV editor (which is usually some kind of unwrap/flatting action). I'm using 3DS Max 2009.

Sometimes I've got that too :\

Is there a plan to have a pack button works only on selected shells?

• jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    how can i mark seams in textools?
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    To RenderHJS,

Since i pass to Max 2011 i really often got this crash from textools wich i didn't have with Max 2010.

Can you look at it ?

Thanks a lot.

.textoolscrash.jpg
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
  • frwanque
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frwanque polycounter lvl 6
    sorry I'm getting thess error while I try to install Textools 4.10

I had to uninstall the last version for any some reson and now I can't reinstall anything.

tanks for helping me

screengrab.jpg
  • DOK110784
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all! Please hel me! I search script for 3DS MAX. Script for render selected edges to photosop (only selected) Please help!!!
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Does anyone have a manual on cameramap ? I cant really get it to work.
  • frwanque
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frwanque polycounter lvl 6
    Please somone help me I have an error when I wan to install it
    Untitled-2.jpg
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if this got mentioned before, but I got an reaaaally annoying behaviour on this newest version of textools.
    I never bothered to download it but used 3.0 instead but decided I should give it a try. Now I'm that close to switching back.
    It happens quite randomly. Whenever I have a selection in the edit Uv window the things get either moved away 1000000 units out of the view, or scaled to infinity - dependant on the mode (scale, move). Often it seems to even freeze max for a couple of seconds, and no pressin ctrl-z fixes this. So i save and open quite a lot the past few days, in order to get around a huge nervous breakdown ;)
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @frwanque:

It looks like he's calling an older version of his .ms script, since it says _3.80. I installed his latest tools on his site though, just fine, in Max 2011.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    I just installed the latest version after getting a new workstation and I've noticed something that's bugging me lately. Whenever I try to use the linear tool the results are anything but aligned in a straight line.
    I know of the left-/rightclick and how that works but sometimes it doesn't care. Sometimes it makes a straight line crooked aswell.

The marked uvisland is a sligtly tapered cylinder that I wanted to straighten out. This is the result after only using rightclick linear tool.
    paasniskan.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?

Other than that,
    thank you Renderhjs for an awesome tool!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I haven't used it much, so I'm not sure but I remember having to click the tool multiple times to make it 100% straight, it never worked right off the bat.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of a feature request; crop to shortest dimension.

Meaning you can set up textures that tile in one direction and have a long, thin UV island be fitted so that it fills the 0-1 space in the shortest dimension, but tiles in the long one.

It's possible to do it manually, but a button to do it would be a lot easier. Perhaps RMB on the Crop button?

cropshortest.jpg
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't used it much, so I'm not sure but I remember having to click the tool multiple times to make it 100% straight, it never worked right off the bat.

Tried that pretty early on :) Mashed it like crazy with both L/R-Clicks. Anyways Im running 64bits and it might be a variable-precision/compatibility-thing. I moved one of those columns offset so it was even more crooked and used the linear tool and voila it made straight lines.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K, this is it for me. I deinstalled the current version and went back to 3.10.
    The random crashes and misbehaviour keeps bugging me on every single step I take, which is just annoying as hell :/
    I don't wanna save every other minute just to make sure opening textools doesn't mess up the uv's again :poly127:
    I really hope you'll be able to serve a fix for this in the future
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Nice tool but the relax and iron options are too weak. I'm having trouble getting proper unwrapping with the iron tool and the relax does very little in straighting parts of the mesh out. Everything else on here is very nice however
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Hi renderhjs - This morning I was having a great idea but it didn't work out - is it possible, am I just doing it wrongly?

I wanted to use the relaxed/flattened uvs of a model as poly verts and make a morph to and fro so I can skinwrap a bunch of surface details onto a curved shape. I can lay them out on the flat uv model and then morph to the other and the parts will follow and save some time of placing it all manually.

The uv and model verts are not 1:1 though, of course, and even with simple examples I can't get the darn thing to work!

The other option is some way to do a UVunwrap style relax by face angles on a geometry, so I'm looking around the web for some algorithm but so far no joy.

Do you have any good places for me to look for this sort of thing? I'm very happy to have a stab at it myself.

thanks again for a great tool! :D
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I have it working for 1:1 uv/geometry, I will work out a scheme to split geometry edges based on uv edges next, and maybe it can work? you're welcome to use it if it is of any interest to your tool also. :)

<edit> for my purposes it is enough to break all verts before working on the uvs and this makes a morphable mesh which works fine with skinwrap for the use I need it to cover. I had a hard time finding a smart way to select and break the mesh edges to match the uv edges. I will come back o it another time.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Can anyone confirm that the latest version 4.10 doesn't work along with RoadKill 1.1?..it said "Done.Successfully!" on the mini MAXScript listener but my object just disappear (more like it render the whole object as a single vert rather than disappear, because when I select one of the UV shell from the UV Edit window it select the origin 0,0) but whenever I delete the RoadKill UV modifier the object is back. Anyone having this issue?

_Revel
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Render, just to mention something usefull.. if you'll have time, please add minimize function.. so when i double click on version it will minimize to some nice icon so i have my workplace.. [ small screen friendly ;) ]
    othervise dead sexy...
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Is there a better/faster way to launch Textools other than Maxscript->Run Script... button? Like add a button to it on the toolbar or something.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the Customize User Interface --> Toolbars --> Search for the Textools button, click and drag it onto the Main Toolbar whereever you may want it to be placed. Guess that's what you need ?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh I must have screwed something up. I didn't see a menu for Textools there. But I reinstalled and it's there now.

Thanks for the tip
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Bigjohn wrote:
    Is there a better/faster way to launch Textools other than Maxscript->Run Script... button? Like add a button to it on the toolbar or something.
    did you saw that instruction panel after the setup? it explains on how to drag a shortcut to the TexTools installed version:
    textoolssetup.jpg
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm one of those people who just hits Next and never reads anything :)

I got it now though
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    that's why I tried to add fancy graphics for people like you ;)
  • LordRaidis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone here having the problem where the tools>roadkill functions aren't working? I'm using tex4.1 along with roadkill 1_1. Basically when I press the roadkill button, is simply does nothing at all. I've tried many different paths to reference the RoadKill1_1.exe, but nothing seems to be working. The RK standalone works just fine, however. Is there something special here that I'm missing?
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Hi !

First, Thanks and congrats for this awesome plugin, there are so many useful tools in it, It really helps working faster !

I have a problem with the bake to texture tool, I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it is a bug...
    Whenever the plugin is using mentalray to bake textures, it doesn't scale uvs the right way, when using different width/height.

For example, I would like to bake a 2048x1024 AO, it create a 2048x1024 texture, but the ao is only rendered on the 2048x512 top of the picture. (Looks like it uses two times the 1/0.5 ratio to render the texture ?)

More concretely, it looks like this:
    textool-bug.jpg
    (Forget the black area on the top, flipped uvs, normal since it's mental ray)

While it should look something like this:
    textool-bug2.jpg

For information, I am using 3dsmax 2009, I don't know if it does matter but I am using the 2nd Uv set.
    textool-bug3.jpg

I don't have this kind of problems when rendering the Uv layout.

If anyone know if I am doing something wrong, some explainations could really help me !
  • Bruno Afonseca
    well you could always set it to render on a 2048² and crop half of it
  • LordRaidis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are there any Roadkill compatibility issues with Max 2008?
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    Just saying thanks for this great tool :)
    finally got to try it out and it is awesome :thumbup:
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Hey renderhjs, does this make blockout map from hi poly? I made this functionality myself and then realised maybe it could be achieved with your tools - if not you are welcome to my code if you want to incorporate such a feature to your tools. I like blockout map from hi poly to define selections in pshop for various materials etc. when setting up base layers.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    cw wrote: »
    Hey renderhjs, does this make blockout map from hi poly? I made this functionality myself and then realised maybe it could be achieved with your tools - if not you are welcome to my code if you want to incorporate such a feature to your tools. I like blockout map from hi poly to define selections in pshop for various materials etc. when setting up base layers.
    Just share your code and then we can compare. The way I do it is to match all mesh elements to groups (like the faces that connect to each other) and then give each group of them a unique color from a HSV color ramp with full saturation. In the background it creates a copy mesh and assigns face ID's to the various groups, on the other side it creates a multi sub material with each slot holding a different color. In the end only a difuse map is baked and stored to either the clipboard, render window or the the hard drive.
    I like to have my scripts as automatic as possible without much or at all input, hence why you can't define the colors because that should be piece of cake to change in PS. If you want to have a look at the script from TexTools just open the MZP file with winrar or any other Zip decoder and look within the TexTools folder for the file "fn_27__bake_blockmap.ms" it has everything you need in 1 function. The function returns a bitmap object at the end or null if it failed.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the info, I'll take a look. My simple macro just takes all selected objects, makes array of ids and facesets based on elements and then applies different ids to the facesets and creates a multisub with different material per faceset. I didn't set it up for smoothgroups or anything since it didn't seem necessary for hi poly stuff. When I'm in the office next I will post up the function here and you can have a look at it. :)

Merry christmas to you!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    thats sounds close to what I have -maybe its even the same. I was happy though with the HSV color ramp as it gives perfect block ID colors with full saturation. Its like this classic ramp:
    HSVadjust.jpg
    where it picks a color for each group average divided by the amount of groups. Because random colors often just ended up with to close colors or to bright / dark ones. Have a look at it and copy the shit out of it if you like it ;)
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    yeah I do similar thing, here is my function
    fn apply_blockmats_to_HI objs=
    (
    	if classof objs == array then
    	(
    		max modify mode
    		element_number= #()
    		obj_number=#()
    		faceIDs = #()

FOR obj in objs do
    		(
    			if classof obj.baseobject == Editable_Poly then
    			(
    				carryon=1
    				newobj = copy obj
    				newobj.name = uniquename("_BLOCKMAT_"+obj.name)
    				obj.ishidden = true
    				format "processing %\n" obj.name
    				select newobj
    				modPanel.setCurrentObject newobj
    				polyop.CollapseDeadStructs newobj
    				--get each element
    				elementfaces = #{1..(polyop.getNumFaces newobj)}
    				tick = 1
    				while carryon == 1 do
    				(
    					--format "elfaces: % num: %\n" elementfaces elementfaces.numberSet 
    					tf = elementfaces as array
    					elementlist = polyop.getElementsUsingFace newobj tf[1]
    					append element_number (element_number.count+1)
    					append obj_number newobj
    					append faceIDs elementlist 

--format "% faces % stored as element\n" newobj.name elementlist 

elementfaces -= elementlist
    					if elementfaces.isempty then carryon = 0
    					tick+=1
    					if tick>1000 then exit
    				)
    				gc()
    			)
    		)
    		--dump data
    		format "%\n" element_number
    		format "%\n" obj_number
    		format "%\n" faceIDs
    		format "Total of % elements\n" element_number.count

--re iterate over objects based on the arrays:
    		for el = 1 to element_number.count do
    		(
    			this_ID = el
    			this_obj = obj_number[el]
    			this_faces = faceids[el]

polyop.setFaceMatID this_obj this_faces this_ID
    		)

--make multimaterial
    		themat = multimaterial numsubs:element_number.count
    		themat.materialidlist = element_number

cstep = 255.0/themat.materiallist.count
    		print cstep
    		for mm=1 to themat.materiallist.count do
    		(
    			thismat = themat.materiallist[mm]
    			thismat.name = "BLOCKMAT_"+mm as string
    			basecol = color 255 0 0
    			newcol = copy basecol
    			print newcol.h
    			newcol.h=mod (mm*cstep) 255.0
    			newcol.s = random 40.0 180.0
    			newcol.v = random 40.0 180.0

print newcol.h
    			thismat.diffuse = copy newcol
    		)		

myslot = medit.getactivemtlslot()
    		setmeditmaterial myslot themat
    	)
    )

apply_blockmats_to_HI (selection as array)

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi Render, I'm just curious, how exactly to move the TexTools ui to the place that I want and stay there for good? sometimes it remembered the position, sometimes it not.

_Revel
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    just open the setup menu (within textools), it should force a save whenever you open the options dialogue and close it again.
    ico_settings.gif
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Oh wow I see!..thanks for the answer man :)

_Revel
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, not sire if this has been asked, but I have an issue that when I select a polygon in 3d space to select it in the UVunwrap, it selects more than one poly and I cant just select that one poly anymore.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Select faces by angle is enabled for the 3dView in TexTools, disable it in the modifier inspector in face mode (should read something like select by angle). I did it because I prefer it that way, its what I use 90% of the time when I select faces in 3d view for UV related things.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Planar Angle Selection maybe?..turn off that option and you can select per face.

//EDIT: too slow haha

_Revel
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thanks guys, had to select some pretty small polys so now im good.
  • karnak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karnak polycounter lvl 11
    im having troubles with the roadkill uv. i followed the youtube vid u posted. but it triangulates my mesh when i click the roadkill button. im using max 2009 btw

I noticed the same problem, so I opened fn_40__unwrap_with_roadkill.ms and find out the problems was in the two lines below that define the import/export obj settings for max2009:
    fnWriteBinary inputCfgPath #(5, 0, 0, 0, 39, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, -128, 63, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 11, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
    fnWriteBinary outputCfgPath #(16, 0, 0, 0, 86, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -128, 63, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 0, 0, 0, 46, 47, 109, 97, 112, 115, 47, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 6, 0, 0, 0, 60, 78, 79, 78, 69, 62)

so I changed and now it's working good.
    fnWriteBinary inputCfgPath #(5, 0, 0, 0, 39, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, -128, 63, 2, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
    fnWriteBinary outputCfgPath #(16, 0, 0, 0, 86, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, -128, 63, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 0, 0, 0, 46, 47, 109, 97, 112, 115, 47, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 6, 0, 0, 0, 60, 78, 79, 78, 69, 62)