Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2012 Edition

Replies

• dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Hey :) Its not a game model - Its for miniature production. Zsculpt only and goes straight to printers for 3d printing, then a mould is made from the master print, from which 100's of casts of her are made..... Cant wait to see her on my desk!

Ooooh! I'd like to get one of those, keep us updated! :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Had this guy sitting around since Dominance War 4. Seems like about time I got some more done on him.
    pangolinwip.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Cross posting with my thread. I'm almost there, I think.

Witch_WIP_23.jpg

Witch_WIP_24.jpg

Witch_WIP_25.jpg

Witch_WIP_27.jpg
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BLACKMETAL polycounter lvl 9
    Finished textures for Ak74m
    aklow39.jpg

more pics in this thread
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Zipfinator, Hazardous, tacit math, jramauri, all y'all is crazy folk. Awesome work.

Got started on texturing this sonofabitch.

iBgWm.jpg
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Aweseom SvenY! that demon guy is tops.
    the womans' arms look too short/hands too big to me... not sure.
  • fusedgore
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    @ Bonebrew22 thanks dude! yeah I think your right the hands looks a bit big I will fix that.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    some zbrush sculpts for my environment!

Bridge_render_01.jpg
    Floor_Common_render_01.jpg
    Floor_Main_render_01.jpg
    Floor_Main_render_02.jpg

teehee
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    MadnessImport - Thanks! I made a little adjustment... hope it looks a bit better.
    tacit math -thanks! glad you like it :)

Fixed some normal map issues that were bugging me on the arm, and adjusted the tint a bit:

stangetroopermain.jpg

...more images and breakdowns on my site.

Swizzle - he's really comin' to life, lovin' those colors!
    Hazardous - she's a beauty, wouldn't mind oogling over her on my desk :)
  • emptyslot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emptyslot polycounter lvl 11
    some evening mech modeling. stirdy and nice canon walker!

mech_front_back.jpg
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    SveinY wrote: »
    Some wips

Some sweet stuff there man, especially like the demon .. do you mind me asking how did you tackle the groin chain ?

The chick head turned really nice and I like how the fingers hold the 3d panties, the connection is believable
    Sorry if you're not looking for crits, but I gotta say this ...
    The pose feels way too stiff to me.
    Is good you put a bit of pelvic rotation there but I'd push it even farther, make the panties follow the same pelvic rotation, and rotate the shoulders inversely to compensate.
    On top of that her boobs seem like 100% silicone, would be nice if they were softer and less pointy.
    (Edit: Oh and I gave her more ass)
    What do you reckon ?

crit_SveinY_DQz6j.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Del wrote: »
    Awesome stuff Troy. I think the rhythms in the pose are really nice, and its got interest from every angle too which is something people often overlook with posed pieces (myself included).

I would say however that her weapon is gonna be under seeerious stress when its printed because it will be super thin as 37mm. If its gonna be pewter metal then it will probably hold up. I remember when I printed my model with a ribbon it came out tiny bit thinner than I actually sculpted it in relation to the model, and was exacerbated by the fact it becomes almost flexible at that size. Mine was 9inches too, so its a lot larger.

pics so you understand wtf i mean:
    a-sauce.jpg

I'd recommend doing anything design-wise that you can to plump up that area were the Staff meets her hand. I promise it will seem unnoticeable to the character but will seriously improve the quality of the strength of the figure.

Hey man, you have nothing to worry about :) Weve been over this issue more times than you can possibly imagine, weve printed so many versions and spent money on wasted prints, working with our printer to find the optimimum sizes at the tiny scale.

Basically what we come up with is that at this scale, everything freestanding should have a join thats no thinner than 1.5mm square, we tried 1mm, down to .5mm and up to 2mm and even 2.5mm - we wanted to go as thin as possible without sacrificing the integrity of the mini, and 1.5mm was the sweet spot :) it worked a treat so thats the measurement we use for the thinnest free-standing parts.

The issue I can see with your model is that the ribbon is VERY thin and very long and has a large volume - If I were building this for 37mm scale it would need to be a 1.5mm 'square' piece minimum, or we would either do one of two things, make the ribbon much larger in width probably 4 - 5mm and probably 2-3mm thick, or if it was not a key feature - remove it alltogether.

There is one other point to make, which is the weapon is very flat and much easier to print / cast / mould - its not curved and taking up a lot of overall volume like your ribbon. What i mean by that is, it would take a larger square block of 'stuff' to print your ribbon than it would to print the Architects weapon. This is something we also spent a lot more money on trying, was overall volume heavy pieces that were flimsy - so for example a straight pole / staff weapon could be 1.5mm or even down to 1mm and survive the print / cast / mould process. BUT if we bent that same staff into a doughnut like shape it woulnt survive. Its also very difficult to package and post and survive all the way to the custmers greasy hands. So when we are cutting up the model, we cut it up so that each piece takes up the smallest volume of material ie make sure the model is pretty flat and easy to print / mould / cast.

Thanks for the heads up tho, we definitely become quickly aware of these issues at 37mm scale and spent a craptonne of money learning the hard way!

EDIT: I forgot to add jramauri that girl is awesome!!!!!!
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    @ Chai thanks dude! the chainmail was easy to make I made mine in Maya. Look at the picture. ofc always smart to get some ref on how the chains are put together.
    SXLiB.jpg
    And ofc am I looking for crits thats the one way to get good... you fail and you learn :D I will take some more time and try to make the pose more alive. Thanks for the paintover. When it comes to the boobs I not sure yet if I want to change them hehe
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    boy_pcpimp.jpg

character based on Ram Singh's concepts..
    waiting for a friend to texture him.. did some quick test poses today to try the skinning and rig out.. happy enough with the skinning, think I'll just go with it :poly142: inb4 bite me in the ass in the future..

thatanimator.com/dump/boywips/boy_testposes1.jpg
    moar of the same

thatanimator.com/dump/boywips/boy_storyboard_1.jpg
    a quick storyboard - of sorts, of what I'm planning to do with him.. :poly141:
    gonna go with the kinect mocap solution for the start and ending cutscene of my little "game previs" lol :poly122:
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Hey man, you have nothing to worry about :) Weve been over this issue more times than you can possibly imagine, weve printed so many versions and spent money on wasted prints, working with our printer to find the optimimum sizes at the tiny scale.

Basically what we come up with is that at this scale, everything freestanding should have a join thats no thinner than 1.5mm square, we tried 1mm, down to .5mm and up to 2mm and even 2.5mm - we wanted to go as thin as possible without sacrificing the integrity of the mini, and 1.5mm was the sweet spot :) it worked a treat so thats the measurement we use for the thinnest free-standing parts.

The issue I can see with your model is that the ribbon is VERY thin and very long and has a large volume - If I were building this for 37mm scale it would need to be a 1.5mm 'square' piece minimum, or we would either do one of two things, make the ribbon much larger in width probably 4 - 5mm and probably 2-3mm thick, or if it was not a key feature - remove it alltogether.

There is one other point to make, which is the weapon is very flat and much easier to print / cast / mould - its not curved and taking up a lot of overall volume like your ribbon. What i mean by that is, it would take a larger square block of 'stuff' to print your ribbon than it would to print the Architects weapon. This is something we also spent a lot more money on trying, was overall volume heavy pieces that were flimsy - so for example a straight pole / staff weapon could be 1.5mm or even down to 1mm and survive the print / cast / mould process. BUT if we bent that same staff into a doughnut like shape it woulnt survive. Its also very difficult to package and post and survive all the way to the custmers greasy hands. So when we are cutting up the model, we cut it up so that each piece takes up the smallest volume of material ie make sure the model is pretty flat and easy to print / mould / cast.

Thanks for the heads up tho, we definitely become quickly aware of these issues at 37mm scale and spent a craptonne of money learning the hard way!

EDIT: I forgot to add jramauri that girl is awesome!!!!!!

Touch
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Great work as always PCers!

Hazardous: That figurine sculpt turned out great! Really nice rhythm through the pose.

Some layout tests for my ongoing artbook project:

layout_test_01.jpg
    layout_test_02.jpg

There's a couple more on my blog. Also, a simple character concept for that sculpt I started last week:

shukhov_concept.jpg

Cheers!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Working on a highpoly Beetle, just the hood so for that is almost finiched.
    0eb91b31338276ace439652d6e2fab8e3cffedf0ee5ebbf263ff14c3bf42634c5g.jpg
  • Jackson31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackson31 polygon
    My first full human male sculpt from scratch.

kc_guy1.jpg

I got half way through this about a month ago, and coming back to finish it with fresh eyes I noticed some pretty massive issues with proportion and musculature, so I've tried to fix them, but I'm sure (to you fine artists) there are still glaring inaccuracies you can help me see :)
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Nick .... As always, your posts are so awesome... It's always new screens in my ref folder :D
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    @ Chai thanks dude! the chainmail was easy to make I made mine in Maya. Look at the picture. ofc always smart to get some ref on how the chains are put together.

And ofc am I looking for crits thats the one way to get good... you fail and you learn :D I will take some more time and try to make the pose more alive. Thanks for the paintover. When it comes to the boobs I not sure yet if I want to change them hehe

Thanks for the image mate, ya it makes sense now .. Just clone the hell out of it, deform it and delete the unwanted links, sweet !

Np glad to help, looking forward to see it progress :D
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Texturing progress on my low poly hero character. Still have some things to add, tweak, etc but should be done soon. Crits welcome of course. Unlit textures in maya viewport for now.

hero_texture_wip.jpg
  • Wetterschneider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wetterschneider polycounter lvl 18
    Flailing away at a pile of doodles. Crinkly old men and wee li'l beasties.

3d-Monk-01.jpg

3d-Bafs-01.jpg
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    was digging around and found a Dw4 image i never used, i kinda dig it. figured should post as its poly count related even though its a bit late, fert:)
    HEL2.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    got the wheels done after work today, going to focus on a colour render sometime tomorrow i hope, till then here is some real quick greys for you guys

Any tips on how to do head lights would be sweet : )

ScottNeillChevyBack.jpg
    ScottNeillChevyFront.jpg
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    meshiah wrote: »
    was digging around and found a Dw4 image i never used, i kinda dig it. figured should post as its poly count related even though its a bit late, fert:)
    HEL2.jpg

I'm SO glad you posted this image. It's beautiful! haha.

Great job man
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Painting skin is a pain. A very rewarding pain, but a pain nonetheless.

421vV.jpg
  • Skyerzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skyerzz polycounter lvl 5
    meshiah I love the design of the legs, especially from the toe/ball of the to the knee.
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    meshiah wrote: »
    HEL2.jpg

Wallpapered that shii immediately.

Was one of my fav entries.Thanks man!
  • BrianP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    WIP sculpt. hopefully ill finish this one

Mace.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    fusedgore wrote: »

It's nice.
    You might want to check some more ref though; Benders eyes are the same width as his head (perspective makes them look like they go over the sides, also his mouth doesn't wrap around that far.)
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, lots of cool stuff here.

Shooting for some exaggerated proportions.
    concept6.jpgconcept6_bw.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    SXLiB.jpg

a lot of your links are literally not linked.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Dayumn, tons of amazing stuff in here (as always)!

meshiah - Amazing piece! Glad you found it again to post.

Nick Carver - Stunning work. Thanks for continuing to update us on your work--I always find it very inspiring and motivating!

jramauri - Nice! You've really made some very good improvements to her, she's looking great!

I've been up to animating this robot scene:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rc4qJr1hT8"]Robot Scene (Animation) - WIP 06 - YouTube[/ame]

Just about ready to call this one done!
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I suck at women and hardly ever do full body models, so it's time to do a headfirst plunge into uncomfortable territories. It's a good hurt.

walky.jpg

walky2.jpg

crouchy_front.jpg

crouchy_back.jpg

I feel kinda bad posting these poops alongside the great female models that have shown up the last few pages.
  • Elaeis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elaeis polycounter lvl 7
    hey! I've done this concept quite recently and I thought I'd give it a shot in 3D :) still working on the body, any advice is welcome!

concept:

pamoi.jpg

sculpt so far:

sliw4l.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Some progress. Learning more about materials, rendering/mentalray, and lighting.

chie_wip_2_by_nightflarer-d4odjol.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Great work all round!

1 hour 20min head bust

monster_head_sculpt_by_gilesruscoe-d4ou9ag.jpg
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    I really like your sketch Fingus. The weight and contuinity in her form is very nice. It's loose like life drawing sketches, but the learning is still really clear :)

Currently working on a model. I wanted to try and make a complete current gen model with 100% hand painted textures just practice. Phototexturing just isn't as sexy in my opinion.

very WIP
    Kaori_Hair_WIP-1.jpg
  • Wetterschneider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wetterschneider polycounter lvl 18
    Hideous old man. So hideous that I'll call him an alien and be done with it. If he was more hideous I suppose he'd become a monster and that would be fun too.

3d-Alien-Master-01.jpg
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    Del wrote: »
    I really like your sketch Fingus. The weight and contuinity in her form is very nice. It's loose like life drawing sketches, but the learning is still really clear :)

Currently working on a model. I wanted to try and make a complete current gen model with 100% hand painted textures just practice. Phototexturing just isn't as sexy in my opinion.

very WIP
    Kaori_Hair_WIP-1.jpg

sexy!!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    That's badass, Del. We can haz texture flat?
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Del i really dig the hair. looking very nice is it just a head for now?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    Damn, lots of cool stuff here.

Shooting for some exaggerated proportions.
    *picture snip*

You have a cool sort of pear-shaped silhouette going with the hips and the side pockets. I would further accent that by slimming down her waist. As of now, her waist seems to be about the same width as her ribcage, so it could definitely stand to be quite a bit slimmer.

On a side note, the way you have shaded her chest plate makes her... assets look a bit droopy.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing work in here as always

waterwheel3.png
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    BrianP wrote: »
    WIP sculpt. hopefully ill finish this one

Mace.jpg

Keep it up brooooo. Killer style ;)(wink)
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    Awesome work Del!!
  • almighty_gir
  • Sunsetrider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first sculpt evah.

first_sculpt_by_thesunsetrider-d4ourq5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.