Homeโ€บ Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2012 Edition

Replies

• zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Some progress. Learning more about materials, rendering/mentalray, and lighting.

chie_wip_2_by_nightflarer-d4odjol.jpg

Lol, is this Chie?
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Finishing up on my attempt at a cinematic charcter rendered in mental ray. Rendering out his turntable now.

Soldier-4.jpg
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Still gotta finish up textures, but went ahead and rigged him. Just noticed I can see the "camera" text in his shoulder pad from printscreening out of marmoset. Heh.

hero_01.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    JMyoung: That looks incredible! haha. I love the style and attitude!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    looking good JMyoung!

I'm going to shamelessly crosspost my thread, hopefully I'll be able to finish him up this week - I'm going to add some white paint to some sections and possibly some glowy bits.
    prof_spaceman_06.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    This fucking thread is always so humbling and inspiring at the same time... Gives me a headache.

uang_final_proper1.jpg
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    @JMYoung and Justin_Meisse, very inspirational stuff! I'd love to see wires of those models.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! 9skulls, here's an old screenshot wireframe. He's 2500 tris + 512ยฒ color for the character and 500 tris + 256ยฒ color for the weapons.

adventurer_model[1].jpg
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    121KU.jpg

Crosspost from my WIP thread, think I'll almost gonna call him done.
  • 4s4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4s4 polycounter lvl 11
    podreicar6.jpg I think Iยดm about done with this scene, Might do another render and finalize it properly tomorrow.
  • ChristianB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChristianB polycounter lvl 11
    had some free time so revisted another side project and played with polypaint + layers

ZBrushDocument-5.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    JMYoung, that is so adorable xD xD
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    returning to a simpler age of furry-loins for manly-men

KED_Conan_056.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    almighty_gir, That's a great dragon!

Putting stuff on fire in UDK:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2QhfEhKEa4"]UDK fire material with tessellation - YouTube[/ame]
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    You have a cool sort of pear-shaped silhouette going with the hips and the side pockets. I would further accent that by slimming down her waist. As of now, her waist seems to be about the same width as her ribcage, so it could definitely stand to be quite a bit slimmer.

On a side note, the way you have shaded her chest plate makes her... assets look a bit droopy.

Hey, thanks for the input. I'll try to avoid sagginess in the model.;) I'll spend some time tweaking the proportions. My concept skills are a bit on the clumsy side.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Update on the beetle.
    beetlerender01.jpg
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    JMYoung: Amazing work! The skin looks a bit on the flat side though, you should try adding some more painted in blush and "SSS" and of course play around a bit with some proper lighting&shadows to really bring out this fine chap.
    Keep rocking man.

Justin: Absolutely badass. I love everything about this guy! My hat off to you sir!

TheDarkKnight: That turned out pretty good! Now add some proper lighting and a tasty background and you've got yourself a spanking nice portfolio piece!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Maph and Jessica! I updated the original image with a tweaked skin color and lighting. I've still got to polish up the texture, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

ChristianB, his bicep area is looking a bit inflated. You could look at Scudz's post right under yours to get a better idea on what kind of shapes to use for that area.

Scudz, lookin' good! I feel like his hair could be a bit more over the top, though not sure if you've touched that yet.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph wrote: ยป
    TheDarkKnight: That turned out pretty good! Now add some proper lighting and a tasty background and you've got yourself a spanking nice portfolio piece!

Thanks, unfortunately I absolutely suck at presentation, so was already quite happy with how he looked so far :)

Simple Marmoset render, Blue Sky dome and 2 rimlights/spotlights with shadows.

If you got any tips please!

And a (very) slightly different angle :

WMt2F.jpg
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe just something simple like a darker background, some subtle textural detail(I put "magical" smoke), and some rim lighting? Just some thoughts, maybe it'll give you some ideas.

Also, maybe more of an up angle?

vold.jpg
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    TheDarkKnight: Change your camera some more, have him tower over you to create a sense of power. And if at any possible, create a more dynamic pose. Something down the lines of
    volemort.jpg
    The pose you have now combined with the current camera angle isn't very interesting in terms of silhouette.

- Play a bit with effects-cards rather then just a lensflare.
    - As far as lighting goes, I would go with a cool blue as that's how he's mostly shown in the movies. And a cold color fits him perfectly. Try finding a setup where you can at least have some nicely defined shadows in it (which is hard with this pose imho).
    - For the background, it doesn't need to be anything fancypants. Just a simple well made gradient sort to speak will do wonders. The background should complement the character without drawing too much attention from the main focal point (the character in this instance).
    The thing with a flat background is that it effectively flattens your entire composition, which isn't good. :)
    - Go a bit easy on the DoF.

Edit: JMYoung's paintover is a good example of how to complement your character with a background. ;)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    EmAr: nice work! great candidate for a balrog type effect or a demonic apparition type sequence, really good use of the potential with tesselation effects.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Maph and JMYoung will definitely have a look at your tips, posing might be the hardest part, build a simple rig (my first so far from perfect) but will give it a go.

Thanks again!

will post updates in my own thread, to not spam this thread full with my stuff ;)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    gauss wrote: ยป
    EmAr: nice work! great candidate for a balrog type effect or a demonic apparition type sequence, really good use of the potential with tesselation effects.

Thanks gauss, that's what I'm going for. I'll try making flames change size/speed/intensity in a reasonable way next.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Lol, is this Chie?
    hehe yep, it is.

JMyoung: The style is awesome! Nice work!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    lol, here are some prodjects ive been flip flopping between and picking at. Between working overtime, FF XIII-2 and art my scheduals been messed up

tsnkwhip.jpg
    ksrinwhip.jpg

krnorthoBOTH.jpg

SFA3_Karin.gif
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    4s4: that scene is looking great!
    TheDarkKnight: Looking great, but I agree with what Maph and JMYoung said.
    JMYoung: That character is badass. Such a slick style.

android-girl.jpg
  • Zangief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zangief polycounter lvl 10
    its Q srom Street Fighter 3
    still a WIP
    qsf3.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    RJBonner: Solid looking wires.
    suburbbum: Really great concept!
    Zangief: looking good, I like the pose! The hat could use some larger wrinkles to break up the smaller ones. The tie should be mostly smooth.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    @ suburbbum: Love those colours.

Another cross post from me. Still busting out mesh before a sculpting pass. Need to add some weapons.

wip04.jpg

Going to try and stop with the presentation wankery.... I promise :poly105:
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    SveinY wrote: ยป
    @ Chai thanks dude! the chainmail was easy to make I made mine in Maya. Look at the picture. ofc always smart to get some ref on how the chains are put together.
    SXLiB.jpg
    And ofc am I looking for crits thats the one way to get good... you fail and you learn :D I will take some more time and try to make the pose more alive. Thanks for the paintover. When it comes to the boobs I not sure yet if I want to change them hehe

That maille would literally fall apart. Also, you don't start maille with a "chain" like you did. So I guess the maille was NOT "easy to make".

THIS is how you make maille (especially 4 in 1, the classic style):

http://seahamcastle.com/index.php?p=1_14

mail_157_8_4_in_1.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester wrote: ยป
    Finishing up on my attempt at a cinematic charcter rendered in mental ray. Rendering out his turntable now.

Soldier-4.jpg

Wester, looking pretty good, but I feel like there's a couple things holding it back. The main thing is the lighting, right now everything is kinda green and muted, with no real contrast among the suit or the background. Start by increasing the AO map on the character and then adding a nice rim light with a more purple-y background to help pull the character out. You could also try more of a spotlight approach to the front (with soft edges) instead of the kinda ambient look you currently have. Kind of like this

The second thing is the spec map. right now it looks like there's some specular going on in the metal parts, but then the rest of the suit is just flat. If I were to guess I'd say the darker material is leather, with the in-between part being, well I have no idea. For the leather, i've just pulled up a quick image search for some leather pants so that you can see a few different examples, but overall it should actually be quite shiny. Maybe give this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gqp4bNJ52M"]video tutorial[/ame] a look, it's metal specific, but the concepts can still be carried over.

Looking forward to updates.

Oh, and the big seam down the center of his helmet, that's not helping anybody ;)
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    I tried out UDK's SS material once again I'm pretty happy with the result
    Jade.jpg
    took all day to get it working but I like it.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6833810443_91a44e1535_b.jpg

I've been busy with midterms, and some side projects, but I did some more sculpting tonight before bed on my Canyon. Figured I would toss a WIP shot in here.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Quick crosspost from my thread. Been working on the effects for this console. I'm pretty happy with it now, save for some specular issues, but feedback is always helpful.

pso_console_11.jpg
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    PSOOOOOO!!!

baller, Axios
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Ahaha looks much better Axios, 'spech with the glowy energy beams :)
  • AGLarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in a SGD class and the teacher wants us to get over fear of putting our student work out to the community so here we go...

My first humanoid character. Modeled in Maya. We haven't been given much real instruction in Zbrush but I wanted to learn it so I watched tutorials and managed to learn enough to get this out. Of course, this is W.I.P.

Next step: Pants!

Pers_left.jpeg

Pers_right.jpeg

All_sides.jpeg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    'burbbum and Duncan are rocking out on this page, keep it up!
    DarkKnight, Don't waste your time mate... I know the thought of rigging/skinning your own character sounds kool but its not worth the effort you could be putting into your next character, just pose him in Zbrush with the transpose tools and call it a day. good work BTW :P

AGLarts: Nice MAN! Really solid work for your first foray into character arts.
    I really like the idea of an anamorphic raptor guy, I would say theres a few spots that could use some love to get him looking better.
    1. the arms seem a bit short, maybe not for a dinosaur, but for a human definitely.
    2. the pose is very stiff, i think if you modeled his posture closer to the velociraptor your using for inspiration he might come off more menacing.

if your interested in getting some more advice, maybe start a WIP thread, because I guarantee you'll get some awesome tips from some pro level artists and if you really commit to making the changes they suggest, you're work will improve overnight!
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, I'm fairly new to PC and finally had the balls to put one of my WIP's on the net.
    Here;s also a cross-post, still need to add more detail in the temple. Was spending lot of time tryin to get the vertex-painting to work properly for the roof. Feedback is welcome ofc.

suckerpunchwip08.jpg
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Pig man. A mouth sketch that got out of hand.

About 3 hours of work.

BPR_Render.jpg
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    @duncan Awesome stuff, I like your style! Also, please upload that to dA aswell so I can save it for my favs <3

@samcole Canyon? Looks like curled hair to me :D Maybe add "some" crackle here and there to give a hint that it in fact is made of rock?

@AGLarts Welcome to the community pal! It's looking like a very nice start. Obviously it is still a WIP and you haven't started with the muscles etc, but there is something going on with his proportions. He's an unusual reptile-humanoid-thing yes, but to me it looks like his torso is too long compared to his limbs. I'd scale the torso down just a bit while giving some length to his limbs, especially his arms.

Also, I got to ask, what's with his toe-withing-a-toe-velociraptor-claw? :D It looks kinda misplaced to be honest. I'd move that claw upward toward his ankles which is the place where those aforementioned raptors supposedly had them. Would look more logical and believable to me.

Cheers.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Fingus wrote: ยป
    Pig man. A mouth sketch that got out of hand.

About 3 hours of work.

BPR_Render.jpg

Oh wow, it's the Greek Finance minister, Evangelos Venizelos. Like I'm not seeing enough of this ugly bastard every day on the newspapers!

Good likeness brah!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys, I am taking an anatomy class and this is what we did to start it off. I am having some problems with the lower back but I hope I can figure it out soon :) Critiques are very much appreciated.
    week-1-male-torso-sfw.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Man there's some amazing work in here. :(

WTW_thumbs01.jpg

Also some more songs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRiIUOsTJuM&quot;]One Cold Morning - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN3ETtGRiQI&quot;]Dodge Badlands battle theme - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL_zhGHP4o0&quot;]PonyKart SAA trailer theme - YouTube[/ame]
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [quote=
    @samcole Canyon? Looks like curled hair to me :D Maybe add "some" crackle here and there to give a hint that it in fact is made of rock?[/quote]

@9skulls, yea I plan to add some harder more defined cracks, and edges. I'm just trying to rough in the "flow" of the erosion. I need to stop being lazy and plug in my tablet, cause this was just being done with a mouse. Eventually I want to mask out the grooves, and go back in and pinch the stuff that is raised on the surface to give it a more rock-like appearance. Thanks for the tips though.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I making a guitar to learn materials in udk.This is the highpoly model.What do you think guys, how many is the optimal polygon count for the lowpoly?
    hpfinished.jpg
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    tacit i love your stuff. It makes me imagine a more badass, realistic version of spore. That's a game i'd definitely buy
This discussion has been closed.