Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M4 Loaded

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: ยป
    if you render the normals with the "marshmallow look" (i like that. lol) then it will project with that kind of shading, resulting in gradients in your normal map. im fine with that, others arent.

with 3point shader its fine to have that look. thats what quality normals are for. :) in an engine you can get similar results depending. you can export qualified normals into UDK to get a look similar to 3point quality normals.

http://www.3dmotive.com/exportingqualifiednormals/

Right, what it boils down to is:

A. If you're intending this to go into a specific engine (UDK, Source) that you know has a broken tangent space workflow, you're going to need to use much more hard edges/smoothing groups, which in turn means much more uv breaks.

B. If you're doing this for your portfolio, or for a studio that has a synched up workflow(its not magic, or more expensive, or something that can't be done in realtime) you should work with a synced workflow. This means 3pshader with Quality mode, or bake and preview in maya, generally.

I would certainly suggest doing B, as it will completely change the way you work. Sure it wont look great if you try to drop it into counterstrike, so it all depends on the end goal. Is it for your portfolio or for the CSS kiddies to play with?

A lot of studios are switching over internally to synched up workflows as word gets out and more documentation is available, so its not "cheating" or anything. For example, the work we did for SD on brink, bakes were done in maya and synched up ingame, bakes in maya HQ viewport looked perfect in game too. Its such a wonderful way to do things, it just sort of works as you would expect.

PS: I'll try to get another shot of those wires up sometime, but I'm pretty busy atm.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    thanx for the info man

ok i got everything at 10,500 polys, reasonable enough?

reason its that high is i wanna keek the M4 clean and good for once
    and the 2 scopes needs to be details since you gonna use them both
    once u flipped the magnifier u wanna have good and clean aimpoint
    and on top of that it got more gear

make sense right?

its a portfolio piece anyway :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say 10-12K with that many accessories etc is totally reasonable.
  • IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
    lonewolf i do have one question for you though? is the reason why your grip looks so jagged is because in game the player wont see it at all and figure you might as well use those faces/verts elsewhere?
  • simon87pl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    simon87pl polycounter lvl 9
    All i can say that in bad company 2 M60 got 16k polys so you don't have to worry:)And You can go for more than 10k.
    PS. very inspirational work lonewolf:)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say 10-12K with that many accessories etc is totally reasonable.

Great i think im good with 10k
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lonewolf i do have one question for you though? is the reason why your grip looks so jagged is because in game the player wont see it at all and figure you might as well use those faces/verts elsewhere?

Yup thats the reason, on production model its even just a box.. Haha
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All i can say that in bad company 2 M60 got 16k polys so you don't have to worry:)And You can go for more than 10k.
    PS. very inspirational work lonewolf:)

16k?? Got a pic of it?
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok heres the loaded 10.5Ks

m4ghostbake10k1.jpg

m4ghostbake10k2.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    looks very nice. is this the final bake? you've got some pixelation on the muzzle and on the stock a bit. also i know some may argue that it doesnt matter because your hand is on the grip, but id say that you should add some more segments back into the grip to make that less jagged. at least to the front of it so the side silhouette can look smooth. shouldnt add any more than 100 tris if that.
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great man, however I think the noise on your Magpul stuff is just a little too intense. Maybe it's just me but when I look at my Magpul stuff it's a little more subtle than that. Otherwise loving the attention to detail
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill see about the grip later and also about the noise while texturing

det1t.jpg

:)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys thanx alot for the feedback
    Im getting alot of emails/Pms about tuts and info about my work

i was about to make tuts when i realized everything i was about to point out and show already been said here on polycount, and it even in a better and faster way
    y lots of ppl here (Earthquake for example)

so you should check those threads, its even stickys and u still have questions post here in this thread so we can have everything in one place

ill try to post some tips/tricks/tuts after im done wwith the textures but i dont think i have anything new to offer here

i use the most basic tools and setups in my work, i just spend aot of time to make it looks as good and i can
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Realistically the only glass that should be tinted orange is the front lens of the Aimpoint.
    The magnifier glass should be clear both sides.
    The rear Aimpoint glass should be clear too, but when you look through the Aimpoint, it should have a slight blue tint to it.

I did some testing and got a good result by making the diffuse color a green of (150,255,0) and the specular color a red of (255,0,0). Works awesome, really gives it that green/yellow/orange color to it.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Did I ever mention I am your biggest fan?
    Love your work, inspiring as always! :)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ wrote: ยป
    Realistically the only glass that should be tinted orange is the front lens of the Aimpoint.
    The magnifier glass should be clear both sides.
    The rear Aimpoint glass should be clear too, but when you look through the Aimpoint, it should have a slight blue tint to it.

I did some testing and got a good result by making the diffuse color a green of (150,255,0) and the specular color a red of (255,0,0). Works awesome, really gives it that green/yellow/orange color to it.

yea i know that but u gotta admits it looks cool :P

for the textured version ill try get close to real as i can
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did I ever mention I am your biggest fan?
    Love your work, inspiring as always! :)

lol thanx
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    projectghosttextwip1.jpg

Some texture wip
    Still lots of work to do

Not sure about the blood, ill prob change it later

using xoluil shader btw
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Nice job so far - this has been cool to watch.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digging it, even the blood. But the skull is a bit over the top.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    the metal work is great, but i'm not a fan of the skull. How long did it take you to find or make that skull? Now picture someone in real life, finding a skull, printing it, cutting shapes out, and stencil painting it on their gun, or even free painting it... just seems cheesey and unrealistic to me. The blood is cool and unique, but the thumb print should be smeared more. The thumb would be constantly adjusting on the grip and vibrating anytime the weapon is fired. I like the more subtle blood stain you've got going on rather than an obvious perfect thumb print.

I know you're done with your high poly and baking. I gotta say my bestfriend was a Marine for 4 years and he gave me a magazine that he used in Afghanistan. It was worn to the bone and had black ducktape wrapped around it for extra grip when changing mags. The duct tape was torn to shit too. I asked him if i could have it cause it had such character and really told a story of where it's been. It'd be cool to see you create it. Too bad I can't find a single image on Google of anything close or even with ducktape. I'll see if i can take some pics tomorrow and upload.
  • KINGKIRBY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with coots7 regarding the skull.

However if your into the idea of keeping the skull I would suggest, instead of making it look like its a painted/stencil, make it like a sticker. Think of it actually covering the surface, play with the stickers own spec, give it a border/lip, or even peeling/torn abit.

Or just get rid of it ;)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for the feedback

as for blood and sticker, blood is there cause he got show by sheppered, sticker is cause what he is, thought i change it to the unit's patch

projectghosttextwip3.jpg

i still donno whats the story of ghost and when and how he comes back, still waiting for my copy of MW3 to get here by mail :(
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    looks awesome, you going to soften the text normal map? theres alot of aliasing.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    As amazingly as this is, and as big a boner its giving me... I have to ask, no, DEMAND even, why you felt the need to put so much love and care into everything and then make the rail so utterly flat and bland on the low poly...? :s
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome, you going to soften the text normal map? theres alot of aliasing.

yup :)

odium wrote: ยป
    As amazingly as this is, and as big a boner its giving me... I have to ask, no, DEMAND even, why you felt the need to put so much love and care into everything and then make the rail so utterly flat and bland on the low poly...? :s

Simply because u cannot see any of it with all the gear on, not even 1 slant

luke wrote: ยป
    flawless mate, Love your work, looks like alot of fun, but persistence to do a weapon to this detail, was wondering what res texture you're building with? details look really crisp

I usually work double than what i need, so im working on 4096 which im gonna scale to 2028 (x2)

reason is its easier for me to work with a 1 pixel brush and i can be more accurate (i do alot of 1pixel brush work)
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    inventing new texture resolutions now? 2028? trololol, jk <3

blah i forgot to take pictures of the magazine with ducktape today.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ok here's the mag i was talking about

m4mag.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ahaha oh man that is one salty magazine. great ref, though it is missing the paracord
  • Oiban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oiban polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great! i like the idea of the magazine
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx alot for the pics man, that a really good ref to use as an idea of how to go about the mag texture, ill try adding a tape too but im not sure it will work with the over style of the gun, it would work better for a military/soldier gun than spec ops but ill try anyway

had to put the m4 on the side for now but ill get back to it soon

• Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, this is phenomenal. Great work you have there.
  • Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    The insane amount of detail in this weapon is godlike! man.... How'd you do it! :poly142: Really nice man well done. I hope to achieve something like that someday.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on the texture

GhostM4_Call_of_duty.jpg

sorry for taking so long i'v been VERY busy lately..

not sure im happy with the texture but it will have to do for now, ill work on it more sometime later when ill have some free time
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw that a real time shader in max using xoliul's shader
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is superb.
  • aobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aobond polycounter lvl 7
    holy fuck dude, that's rad
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I want all your dudebabies.

That gun is sick! What sort of textures are you using on that? I'm trying to figure out whether I'm hitting the same texel densities you are - that bloody thumbprint holds up ridiculously well.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder how long we have to wait to see something like this in games... We have the technology, why not use it!? D:

This is seriously pretty awesome texture work.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing work, especially the texture work. Only niggle i have is that the label on the stock doesn't look seated.

Just needs a Ipod connector to go with the accessories and were good to go. :D
  • BenjiCS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rock solid man, truly inspiring!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice work. I feel like the stickers, text and logos would be a little more worn though. Minor crit. It looks fantastic.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx guys:D

Ghostscape, using 2x2024, just make sure closer parts get bigger UV space

for a production model the grip is the last part you should be worried abut though

• Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coots7 wrote: ยป
    ok here's the mag i was talking about

m4mag.jpg

Btw, I didnt put the tape on the mag but i did use the idea of the wear/paint

Good ref! Thanx :)
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty solid! What's the size of the texture? 1024? 2048?
  • Daemon3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daemon3d polycounter lvl 12
    Love your work man! Cool references for my upcoming next-gen M4A1. :D
  • thorin13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thorin13 polycounter lvl 9
    Hi there. I like your work Lonewolf. I'm also wondering about the textures because they seam to be quite big. Can you tell how many textures do you use and their resolution? Thanks a lot.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry to bump this old one but i thought ill post 2 more pic i havt posted while im sorting my work and updating the site again

:P

M4_GHOST_SD_SIDE2.jpg

M4_GHOST_SD_Money.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    both real time max viewport grabs with xuliol's shader