Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M4 Loaded

Replies

• Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    Thanx alot for the feedback guys

Oniram : "back" button added, was wondering if its unnecessary, i guess its not h :D

As for parts mixing - there are 2 reasong i chose those
    1. i wanna give the gun a custom feels, individual made by the soldier
    2. Art wise, the mount i used is much more interesting and details as for shape and materials compare to the original aimpoint mount, if it was production model i would use the original, it would save alot of polys haha

So for the ow poly, currently its about 16K, very detailed and everything is petty round

i decided to make 2 versions, one using this 16k one cause i hate ruin good art

1stpass.jpg

second will be more reasonable, ill cut everything except what u see from the first person view including the other side, ill prob get to 5-6K

1stpass2.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple notes:

A. Detail prioritization is off in a few areas, the back of the scope which should have a LOT of sides, has less sides/roundness than the foregrips for example
    B. Seems to be lots of little intersecting mesh chunks all over, I would merge some of this stuff together to better use uv space and make a less complex bake(less to explode etc). Areas like the mag, the scope, the rear strap loop.

I try to minimize separate mesh chunks to areas that will animate, areas that can be removed, or areas that will make baking a pain(complex overlaps and such).

I'm not sure how WIP this is though and maybe you're planing on merging a lot of that stuff together, but I see it pretty often people will try to save some tris and intersect a bunch of stuff, it gets kind of ugly.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    Thanx alot for the feedback guys

Oniram : "back" button added, was wondering if its unnecessary, i guess its not h :D

cool. but that was MiAlx. not me. :P personally i dont really think back buttons are necessary anyway on sites.. browsers come with those already. lol.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Amazingly detailed, clean and fantastic HP as always Lonewolf. Great job :)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple notes:

A. Detail prioritization is off in a few areas, the back of the scope which should have a LOT of sides, has less sides/roundness than the foregrips for example
    B. Seems to be lots of little intersecting mesh chunks all over, I would merge some of this stuff together to better use uv space and make a less complex bake(less to explode etc). Areas like the mag, the scope, the rear strap loop.

thanx for pointing that out, im gonna g over it again and see what can be less/more

I try to minimize separate mesh chunks to areas that will animate, areas that can be removed, or areas that will make baking a pain(complex overlaps and such).

planning to use to maps, one for rifle and one for detachable parts

I'm not sure how WIP this is though and maybe you're planing on merging a lot of that stuff together, but I see it pretty often people will try to save some tris and intersect a bunch of stuff, it gets kind of ugly.

i think its a good way to save and u make sure the bake is perfect, not planning on e one bake, its gonna have to be few with PS fixes but i promise it will be smooth like 20yo stripper's ass
    no less than this

MP5_FPVLOW.jpg

>:D
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    I ran into this problem on an AR I made... perhaps.jpg
    The red is just an idea on how to add some more triangles fairly easy.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i use it alot, but im gonna use it only on the second version, first i wanna do an HD version :P

Thanx :D

damnit its 3am, see if i can have some good progress on UV and play some rage before i drop on my keyboard =|
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah now that im working on it i see what u mean, yup def need more polys there

adding now

Also, ill prob run into more parts i should go higher/lower so it will prob change more later on

hope ill have it done in 2 days
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome. I usually add more sides on parts that are closer to the camera, and where the silhouette doesn't overlap onto the gun.

I'm curious, what does the other side of the gun look like? lol. Message me on Skype or msn man! :3
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess i didnt post the other side huh? :o

otherside1.jpg

need some work, lots of sharp edges from 2007 (lol i actually checked and i did that M4 in 2007, everything except for the body is new now though)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think its a good way to save and u make sure the bake is perfect, not planning on e one bake, its gonna have to be few with PS fixes but i promise it will be smooth like 20yo stripper's ass
    no less than this

You can save some tris, but at the expense of overall quality, and texture resolution, which is much more important than saving tris in most cases.

Remember that every area that is simply intersected instead of merged, is an area that's going to give you ugly aliasing. So the more you can merge, the more you can get the smooth, seamless highpoly look.

Also, I would highly recommend not relying on multiple bakes, I mean thats fine for personal work or whatever, but when you're doing production work and get change requests from your boss/client, its a huge huge mess. Setting up a clean bake that doesn't require photoshop editing, or multiple bakes is much more efficient.

If you do a bunch of bakes, a bunch of photoshop editing, only to have the client tell you your uv density is off any the whole uv map needs to be reworked, you've gotta redo all of that work, its a massive time sink, esp. when you can just avoid it in the first place by planing your geometry well, keyframe exploding to do a single bake, etc.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can save some tris, but at the expense of overall quality, and texture resolution, which is much more important than saving tris in most cases.

Remember that every area that is simply intersected instead of merged, is an area that's going to give you ugly aliasing. So the more you can merge, the more you can get the smooth, seamless highpoly look.

Also, I would highly recommend not relying on multiple bakes, I mean thats fine for personal work or whatever, but when you're doing production work and get change requests from your boss/client, its a huge huge mess. Setting up a clean bake that doesn't require photoshop editing, or multiple bakes is much more efficient.

If you do a bunch of bakes, a bunch of photoshop editing, only to have the client tell you your uv density is off any the whole uv map needs to be reworked, you've gotta redo all of that work, its a massive time sink, esp. when you can just avoid it in the first place by planing your geometry well, keyframe exploding to do a single bake, etc.

youre right here, but it all depends on what more important, by overlapping textures and not merging parts i save ALOT both on texture and polycount

sometime u get to work with very strict polycount/texture size that require u to do what ever u can to save space and poly and still give the best looking asset u can, i dont think i could do that without running more than 1 bake, both for normal and AO (btw, how do u make the AO map work right with exploded setup? parts wont lay the right shade on each other part)

what i still can do is make sure everything i do wont have to be changed, i use some methods to predict something like pixel density, heres an example

i use grungy/noise map while UVing with the viewport set in the primery angle
    that way i can see sharp every part is (closer gets bigger ofcourse)

this is a 2K maps x2 1 for attachments and one for the gun+sights

with this result i can even pull it off with 1k texture consider the size would be 1/2 in a game

texturetest12.jpg

this is a first bake testrun, no editing. btw, how do i fix those cuts like on the grip?

baketest.jpg

(parts that looks stretched/not uv will be overlapped when im done)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bake117kp.jpg

The 17K version

Will make lower version next
  • AshesBurnBlack
    This is so freaking bad @$$! Great work Lonewolf!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    howd you fix the weird normal map problem on the grip, the cut look you were saying?
  • Pedro Amorim
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    this is just beautiful man, beautiful
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Lonewolf, I really love your work man. REALLY good hardsurface modeling!

You're a god damn sub-d master! :D
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've got this misconception that modeling solid, seamless meshes without loads of intersections somehow saves you a lot of tris. In reality, thats not so much the case. Here are a couple areas:

lonewolfm4.jpg

A: This whole area is a mess, you've got what, 4 or 5 chunks intersecting here? If you merge this together and got rid of some of the excessive edge loops that you get from so many intersections, you would actually save tris. In the bake here its aliased and lowpoly looking.

B: Again, if you just merge this trigger guard area into the main mesh, you would save tris, save texture space, and have a seamless result with no aliasing.

There are areas all over your mesh that are like this.

I understand that polygon restrictions are what they are, and you've got to do what you need to do to meet them, but there are a lot of areas here where you could merge and not really have any meaningful gain in overall count, possibly reduce count and definitely have a better all around bake.

RE: Multiple bakes. Yeah, I do one bake 99% of the time, and weird crazy stuff is generally because of the geometry and can be fixed directly in the model. Check out the "waviness" stickied thread for more on that stuff. For AO I do a high exploded, and lowpoly unexploded ao, its really quick and you just use both, no painful editing and its easily redone, other artists can work with it as well or rebake if they need to without redoing massive amounts of post-editing.

When you don't have a lot of intersections, you've got less to worry about as far as cleaning up bakes, when you just think of a lowpoly as the shell you project detail onto, and not try to be "realistic" with how you model the parts in the low, it makes a lot of sense. Here are some examples of a mesh without many intersections:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/499159/3PointStudios_Brink_Maya_ar02_03.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/499159/3PointStudios_Brink_Maya_ar02_04.jpg

This thing was really simple to bake.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've got this misconception that modeling solid, seamless meshes without loads of intersections somehow saves you a lot of tris. In reality, thats not so much the case. Here are a couple areas:

lonewolfm4.jpg

A: This whole area is a mess, you've got what, 4 or 5 chunks intersecting here? If you merge this together and got rid of some of the excessive edge loops that you get from so many intersections, you would actually save tris. In the bake here its aliased and lowpoly looking.

B: Again, if you just merge this trigger guard area into the main mesh, you would save tris, save texture space, and have a seamless result with no aliasing.

There are areas all over your mesh that are like this.

I understand that polygon restrictions are what they are, and you've got to do what you need to do to meet them, but there are a lot of areas here where you could merge and not really have any meaningful gain in overall count, possibly reduce count and definitely have a better all around bake.

RE: Multiple bakes. Yeah, I do one bake 99% of the time, and weird crazy stuff is generally because of the geometry and can be fixed directly in the model. Check out the "waviness" stickied thread for more on that stuff. For AO I do a high exploded, and lowpoly unexploded ao, its really quick and you just use both, no painful editing and its easily redone, other artists can work with it as well or rebake if they need to without redoing massive amounts of post-editing.

When you don't have a lot of intersections, you've got less to worry about as far as cleaning up bakes, when you just think of a lowpoly as the shell you project detail onto, and not try to be "realistic" with how you model the parts in the low, it makes a lot of sense. Here are some examples of a mesh without many intersections:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/499159/3PointStudios_Brink_Maya_ar02_03.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/499159/3PointStudios_Brink_Maya_ar02_04.jpg

This thing was really simple to bake.

I thought u meant about the screwes i did, yea your right here and im gonna do that on the lower pc version since i dont have much of a choice haha

Btw whats the pc on that rifle ^?
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coots7 wrote: ยป
    howd you fix the weird normal map problem on the grip, the cut look you were saying?

I didnt =\
    EQ u know how to fix the cuts when bakin in 3dsmax?

Thanx alot for yhe feedback guys, much appreciated
    :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw whats the pc on that rifle ^?

I think the gun is about 5500, and 2500 or so for the iron sights.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt =\
    EQ u know how to fix the cuts when bakin in 3dsmax?

Thanx alot for yhe feedback guys, much appreciated
    :)

Can you post some larger shots of the problem? I'm not sure i really understand whats going on there.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post some larger shots of the problem? I'm not sure i really understand whats going on there.

baketest.jpg

u can see it on the grip, where the thumb should be

=\

prob smoothing groups related
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bake117kp2.jpg

need better render. lots of edges got killed by the light here =\
  • LtChicken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    baketest.jpg

u can see it on the grip, where the thumb should be

=\

prob smoothing groups related

Looks without a doubt like the smoothing group messed up that part of the bake. Is that little section of the grip with it's own smoothing group on a seperate UV island from the rest of the grip? If the smoothing group is causing the issue that should fix the problem.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks without a doubt like the smoothing group messed up that part of the bake. Is that little section of the grip with it's own smoothing group on a seperate UV island from the rest of the grip? If the smoothing group is causing the issue that should fix the problem.

Yeah I would agree, looks like a hard edge/smoothing group without detaching the uvs for that area.... Hard to tell with the noise baked in there though.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea different smoothing group, i separated it on the Uv, its fixed now

Thanx :D
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious, why not just have that smooth there? Thats a really odd place to have hard edges, and even odder to separate on the uv, creating weird seams that you need to fix later.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when i use 1 smoothing group for the whole grip it looked messed up and i was worried it will look bad on game engines/realtime shaders

not sure what exactly the rules here so i just made it look somehow ok

bake/texture wise ill make sure it wont show
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    whats the fuzz about that little detail on the grip?? you barely can notice..

what throws me off most, is the jagged part of the grip, where the fingers are supposed to rest :/
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cutsj.jpg

how do u explain that
    it drives me crazy

every SG got its own island on the UV

this is annoying..

:(
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cant sg 2 and 3 be combined (sorry. not 1 and 2).. id imagine both are planar in the UVs, so why not just put them together as one in both sg and uv islands.
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can either combined SG 2 and 3 or have SG 1, 2, and 3 combined into one.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but i have the cut between 2 and 3, will it fix it?

im confused
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you think about it, the only time you need to cut it is if you have a 90 degree edge. Even if you combine the UVs from SG 2 and 3 and leave the UVs for 1 separate, you can still have the entire model have 1 SG except the back if there's mesh there since that is a 90 degree edge. The bake will grab more information that way and not have those cuts so that your high poly edges will read better.

EDIT: Said the wrong SGs. Changed them now though. And my post before I meant 2 and 3 can be combined or 1, 2 and 3 can be combined.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoops. i made a mistake in my post too sorry. yeah combining sg 2 and 3 will do the trick. typcially i find it helps to keep everything in 1 smoothing group, though if you're bringing the model into an engine it may have issues. but 1 sg is so much easier to work with because you can make your UVs however you want. :D
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so basically having a low poly with marshmallow look is acceptable? wouldnt it give me troubles in game engines/realtime shader?
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only if you have 90 degree edges and you didn't split the UVs into different islands. It's acceptable to look like that if your mesh does not have 90 degree edges. Try it and see!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you render the normals with the "marshmallow look" (i like that. lol) then it will project with that kind of shading, resulting in gradients in your normal map. im fine with that, others arent.

with 3point shader its fine to have that look. thats what quality normals are for. :) in an engine you can get similar results depending. you can export qualified normals into UDK to get a look similar to 3point quality normals.

http://www.3dmotive.com/exportingqualifiednormals/
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome thanx for the help guys, i less experienced with game engines unfortunately, anyway here is the optiized version of the gun it self

M4_GHOST_SD.jpg

M4_GHOST_SD_FPS.jpg

M4_GHOST_SD_SIDE.jpg

i could make it 5300 if i take off the strap ring, 2 screws and the magazine plastic piece, but i like those :P

now adding the scopes..
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw its only normal, AO can make it better abit :P
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! bakes came out amazing
  • YemYam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YemYam polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome mechy work, really great attention to detail. Love all your stuff! :D
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what settings are you using to give that all over bump plastic look? noise modifier with?
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx guys

for the bump i can juse use noise on PS but this time i just rendered the high poly with the noise bump on the bake, trying stuff, turned out good

that way i can make the noise even on all the plastic parts even if the UV size id different
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    That's one sexy bake man :) What lighting setup are you using?
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 omni one blueish one orange and skylight on like 50%

and dark shaders