Home General Discussion

London Riots

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Online / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
man its getting bad, riots kicking off all over the place. I live in leyton and apparently a few shops have been burned. I am not that far from walthamstow and tottenham hale where it all kicked off.
Hope things ease off in the next few days
It's even spread to birmingham:(

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Agreed, it's becoming bad, apparently they also burned down downed a building that had survived the Blitz, those bum fuckers.

Hope you stay safe mate.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Croydon isn't far from here, and that fire looked pretty hefty.

It's pretty fucking pathetic really.

edit: rant removed
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I get text messages from friends if I was in the city center.
    Then I found out about the riot in Birmingham
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Do you think it will get worse before it gets better? I heard about the BBC reporter and crew being attacked for no reason... I just can't fantom that. Other than the criminal elements want no cameras.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Three London fire engines also came under attack during the second night of rioting in London. One engine from Brixton station being targeted while actually fighting a blaze started by looters raiding the Foot Locker store.

Two others from West Norwood and Edmonton were on their way to blazes when they were set upon. Windows were smashed as mobs of looters hurled bricks and other missiles at the engines.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023874/LONDON-RIOTS-David-Cameron-returns-home-police-face-gangs-petrol-bombs.html#ixzz1UTnduKCY

What kind of people attack fire fighters who are currently putting out a fire.

To me that's the equivalent of hijacking an ambulance with someone dying inside it >_>
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't get it how more and more people want to get involved in this. Used to live near the area where it kicked off.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    JFletcher wrote: »
    What kind of people attack fire fighters who are currently putting out a fire.

sadly. That kinda thing has been happening for years. Usually dumb kids but this is a bit more serious, obviously.

I think it wont last very long. But who knows. Its obviously just gangs of looters that don't really have a political agenda. I'm in Newcastle and we had big riots here in the 90's. Hopefully it wont spread up to here. But it doesn't take a lot to rally a few groups of scum that want a new pair of Nike.
  • Acr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    London isn't the London of my youth or my parents youth. England is drowning from its open borders, poor fiscal policies and lack of high tech jobs or training.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    its seriouly crazy what is going on, but while reading about this i came accross this.
    "David Cameron was on Monday night still refusing to cancel his family holiday in Tuscany, where he is embarking on a second week of tennis lessons at his rented villa"

and was like, wtf??
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    arshlevon wrote: »
    its seriouly crazy what is going on, but while reading about this i came accross this.
    "David Cameron was on Monday night still refusing to cancel his family holiday in Tuscany, where he is embarking on a second week of tennis lessons at his rented villa"

and was like, wtf??

What you want him to do, pick up a riot shield? This is a job for the police. The minister for law and justice is in England I expect.

Cant wait to see these thugs have riot control weapons turned on them. Forget water cannons, bring out the microwave guns!

The army should start helping the police.

I also think its fucking shameful that we are seeing the groups composed of 95% of one particular ethnic group. They should have some pride in themselves.
  • Perfectblue
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... i was like wtf when I saw some people orginizing facebook groups for Leicester riots. What a bunch of idiots...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    nobody is going to acknowledge the spark of this? A black man was shot by police which was the last straw for a black population in London who feel marginalized and discriminated against.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/9184210.UPDATE__Richer_Sounds_smashed_in__Bromley_High_Street_and_Bromley_South_closed/

Uh oh, thats just down my road! :)

Would explain the large group of chavs I heard going down my street earlier.
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    The good thing when people use facebook to organize riots is that you can apprehend some of the stupid fucks that's causing all of this.

Yes, stupid fucks, is appropriate.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganemi wrote: »
    Remember when the blacks burned down Canida a few months ago. Those savag-- Wait, what?!

Do you know what thread you are in? What particular event we are discussing?

Yeah. Also I'm pretty sure it's spelt 'Canada'.

It's posts like yours that turn decent valid discussions on polycount into five pages of shit-flinging. **** off. Don't be inferring things about other people on here, when I and everyone else watching the news are just using their eyes. Trying to suggest someone is racist because they are pointing out the completely fucking obvious? More colours and creeds the better IMO, but the people out there tonight are really letting themselves down, and damaging how the public perceive them.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    I also think its fucking shameful that we are seeing the groups composed of 95% of one particular ethnic group. They should have some pride in themselves.

You certainly are forefront I will give you that. But I ask. Does it not say something that one particular ethnic group was only found in the original area? In other words, its not their ethnicity or culture being the issue. Its their delegation of your societies economics to being "stuck" within a area/income/education.*

*Not that we Americans are any better.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    You certainly are forefront I will give you that.

I feel I can be because I'm the furthest thing from racist. Also I think people use what you posted as an excuse. I grew up in a council estate in a shitty area, raised in a single parent family, on social welfare etc. I turned out fine, and I'm sure there are thousands of disadvantaged kids of all colours in London and the rest of the UK tonight who are tucked up in bed. But I am seeing a demographic out there tonight, and so is everyone else, and it really is going to affect their cause.

And I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that a white bobby shot a black kid anymore. Thats BS. The LA riots happened like that cause America can be a bit of a racial flashpoint, but the UK is very different, I feel different races are far more integrated into society, even more so in those days; these riots are just about thieving and destruction.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    According to STORMFRONT, the black guy shot first. Though it's Stormfront, officially only slightly more credible than the CIA, I wonder what the real truth is.

holy cow, are you guys honestly posting news from a racist skinhead site or are you joking?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy cow, are you guys honestly posting news from a racist skinhead site or are you joking?

For the sake of civility in this thread I suggest people just ignore Ganemi's posts... as they so far have either done nothing but incite. Otherwise we'll all regret it in four or five pages time when we are at each others throats ;)

What is the extent of danger to people living in London? Are any guys here that work in studios in London going to work tomorrow? I'd be calling in sick for sure :poly122: I'm a little worried for people I know in London :(
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Oh heck, I didn't think about going to work in London, I had better thank my boss for making me work from home XD
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    Oh heck, I didn't think about going to work in London, I had better thank my boss for making me work from home XD

I'm very concerned about it. This isnt a natural disaster, they are somewhat predictable, and you have more of a chance. If theres a riot flashpoint on your way to work and some thug decides to throw a brick, game over.

London polycounters sound off please.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nobody is going to acknowledge the spark of this? A black man was shot by police which was the last straw for a black population in London who feel marginalized and discriminated against.

I didn't know the person they shot was black, all I know it was some guy to opened fire on the cops.

Wow, talk about paradoxic ideology, I better stay out of that.

It's really sad when all this comes down 'ethnic' thinking from the aforementioned party. I mean hell, if I was a bloody cop, I wouldn't care who the guy was, black, white, Asian, Jew, Nyan Cat, you shoot me, I shoot you, fair and square, it my duty, my friends or my wife and children, or even my old parents could be just around the corner of the shooting, and they could get killed in all this, it's my job to serve and protect.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Personally I don't see it like that...all I see are a bunch of looters and chavs with nothing better to do but riot. There's some old school friends on my facebook who love these things, they all meet up just to cause some mess. Basically there are people out there that riot for fun.

Sad, so sad.

edit: I hear it's reaching where I live, slowly but surely. Luckily I live in a remote area so it's unlikely to reach my road.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

A black drug dealer who shot a police officer BEFORE armed police were called for assistance.

the above statement is just "the word on the street" from milton keynes, about a 45 min drive from london.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    amazing the comments that people make on a site that is becoming more and more viewed by the games industry (i.e potential EMPLOYERS) every day. seriously shameful posts here
  • JFletcher
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well i just sent Whalgren a txt message, to see if he was okay, thinking he was still in london.

he's not, he's in sweden, and i woke his ass up, lol!
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    300 people decend on liverpool =/
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I seem to be surrounded by riot areas lol. Nothing much to steal where I live, so hopefully we are safe, though I heard there had been some trouble tonight.

Trouble in liverpool now and reports of thugs calling for riots in southampton.

hmm I hope asda is not fire, because I will have to go to tescos instead:)

Anyway, stay safe, hope none of you london polycounters are in danger
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A black drug dealer who shot a police officer BEFORE armed police were called for assistance.

the above statement is just "the word on the street" from milton keynes, about a 45 min drive from london.

Who shot first is moot, it's the european monoculture (quoting BBC World News) that makes minorities feel isolated and under attack.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Where'd you get that information? Different report from the Guardian saying the shot that hit the other cop's car ways from the first officer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/08/mark-duggan-handgun-lethal-weapon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2022670/Gangster-Mark-Duggan-shot-police-London-cab-shootout.html#ixzz1URbWq7MR
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    stupid question here, but i thought UK cops didnt have guns. please clairfy, legitimate question
  • Mark Dygert
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Not generally MikeF, but they do carry them if they have to. When I was at london city airport last they had SMG's.

They have armed response units, but British Bobbies have never routinely carried guns.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I see, thanks for the clarification Ruz, thought something was amiss here
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    amazing the comments that people make on a site that is becoming more and more viewed by the games industry (i.e potential EMPLOYERS) every day. seriously shameful posts here

I hope you're not referring to me, all I was pointing out is the paradoxical nature of the situation and sad opportunity taken on the issue.

Black man gets shot, not only is this a hot button to which many people won't bother looking on who shot first or what happened previously, but the only thing they'll hear is color of said persons skin, and some folks will carry that as their banner only to loot and break stuff more by enticing different communities as a way to say "Hey, look, the Government and their Goonies are bastards, kill them all while we look in this shop".

I hope my previous comment didn't sound like I was focusing the issue only on the ethnic communities and the immigrants within them as underhanded slap to them.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    No, not at all Ace-Angel, i was referring more towards the white supremacy links posted
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naugat polycounter lvl 12
    The arrest of the alleged drug dealer was an organised operation involving several Police units - the fact it went tits up despite being an organised arrest and then the Independent Police Complaints Commission getting on the scene so soon after made everyone very suspicious.

How the hell it ended up like it is now I have no idea. Tonight feels like the worst so far.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    pretty up to date riot news. scary shit....stay safe polycounters.

http://thewestlondoner.wordpress.com/
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I am amazed that the situation was so volatile that this all happened. I hope you UK polycounters are allright.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    A lot of reports of Bristol now. I hope it doesn't spread much more...
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13

Wow.

And here lies the real tragedy in all this. What did these three have to do with any of this? Probably nothing. and yet they're left to pick up the pieces after the punks who did this are resting up in a cell.

God save this world.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Have been following this on the news and tweeting a bit at @hawkenking.

Anyway, the papers (the Sun) are now saying that the guy who was shot by marksmen, was unarmed, and the reason the other policeman had a bullet lodged in his radio was that it passed through the body.

Which sounds iffy to me as the marksmen use hollow-point bullets, which fragment inside the body. The possibility of it exiting in once piece and lodging into a policemans radio would suggest it's a normal bullet.

Anyway, something is fishy about the whole thing.

I used to live in areas where the rioting is taking place, for about 3 years, police have never really been in control here and the areas are mostly populated by young black men. Even 10 years back when I lived in peckham and mile end, there was a quiet air of unease, with the majority of people afraid of the youth element. Those youth are now probably the parents of these rioters.

Mostly people after free stuff, various arsonists.

Police in London and England in general are very distant to the public since the bobbies were removed. We still have bobbies here in Tokyo and it does make a difference, they have police stations outside each and every train station, no CCTV cameras in much of the city, much like the UK of old. How can the police interact with the community by watching a bank CCTV screens?
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    hawken wrote: »
    Even 10 years back when I lived in peckham and mile end, there was a quiet air of unease, with the majority of people afraid of the youth element. Those youth are now probably the parents of these rioters.
    Im sorry you gonna have to try again on thie one...
    How would the youth of 10 years ago have children that are anywhere from 14-mid twenties?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    How would the youth of 10 years ago have children that are anywhere from 14-mid twenties?

The UK is the world's leading producer of pregnant teenagers, so "youth" 10 years ago could have already had a 5 year old child. It sort of depends on how you define youth, but yeah, the math there didn't seem right to me either.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Shit guys! Stay safe.

Seriously.

>_<

Seems incredibly surreal.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »

I vow never to try sarcasm on this forum again.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'm more worried about is the current state affair in society, especially the Youth and their way of thinking.

I know that we all to some degree reject an aspect of the older generation, it's a fact and part of life, no question about it.

For example, I got nothing against people of different backgrounds or colors, unlike some older folks including certain members of my family, but I wouldn't be surprised if my daughter wanted to marry an alien, and I forbade that, thus my children rejecting a social aspect of my generation (EI: Have all the sex you want, but alien STD-ridden tentacles are off limits).

What bothers me the most is that regardless of where you are in the generation, you need to keep a certain amount of guidelines, hence Authority.

The authority system we have in place nowadays, in most civilized countries isn't about Freedom or right to do what you want to do, it's Moral Certitude, Self-Interest Preservation and harmonized individuality, meaning keep your individuality if you want, just don't go around spouting racists jokes every couple of inches.

Instead, the new 'idea' every kid seems to follow is Self-Interest (no preservation rules placed, which is very dangerous) and radical individuality, not moral certitude in anyway or form.

It also doesn't help that the pack metaphor works very well here, since you either become part of the team or don't, and bring self-interest in the workplace, creating disturbances within the system, without actually resolving any conflicting issues.

To get back to London, the perfect example is the people could have staged a strike, banded together and launched a starter event to get an investigation underway and/or organized protests for a wake up call about bordered minorities, etc.

(Please note I have no idea and do not talk out of experience or knowledge on this current aspect of UK is like).

However, instead, we get disorganized self-interest to the n'th degree, where people burned a building that not only had a historical value, but also had survived the Blitz, hence living up to the words that the British folks are nothing to scoff at.

It's so paradoxically stupid on how these very same people who want a new world order, are simply taking out the guidelines which keep people from raping and breaking everything out, and calling it total freedom.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Well Ace Angel, this is the first generation in the history of human civilization, to have no collective recollection of what it means to be 'hungry'.