Home General Discussion

Portal 2

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    arshlevon wrote: »
    black mesa and aperture were the 2 top competing scientific engineering firms according to the mythos, there are a few other tie-ins as well, check out the timeline wiki. i hope there is a portal gun in episode 3.

I hope we get a chell + gordon freeman teamup!

edit: I take it back I don't want that. They don't belong in the same game. They each have their own struggle and it would cheapen it to put them together. Small call-outs would be good though.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    aesir wrote: »
    I hope we get a chell + gordon freeman teamup!

edit: I take it back I don't want that. They don't belong in the same game. They each have their own struggle and it would cheapen it to put them together. Small call-outs would be good though.

It wouldn't work anyway since Chell was in stasis during all of the events of the Half-Life 2 story most likely.

Also I doubt that the headcrab in the tube was more than a small easter egg. Portal 2 is supposedly a thousand or so years after Portal 1. One of the main reasons for them doing this was so that it wouldn't interfere with Half-Life 2's story at all.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I though that the headcrab in the elevator shaft was confirmed to be photoshoped.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just finished too. loved the backstory and mystery
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    It wouldn't work anyway since Chell was in stasis during all of the events of the Half-Life 2 story most likely.

Also I doubt that the headcrab in the tube was more than a small easter egg. Portal 2 is supposedly a thousand or so years after Portal 1. One of the main reasons for them doing this was so that it wouldn't interfere with Half-Life 2's story at all.

the bit where you hear how long you've been in stasis could be interpreted as a computer glitch though I reckon
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    rooster wrote: »
    the bit where you hear how long you've been in stasis could be interpreted as a computer glitch though I reckon

I wasn't basing that off of the computer voice at the beginning of the game. I'm basing it off of what Chet Faliszek said in an interview around E3 of 2010. If anyone is interested I can probably dig it up.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Don't know about the interview, but there is no way that it's thousands of years after. Apeture would have completely decayed by then. I think it's only been a dozen years or so.

[Edit].... the timeline according to the interwebs claims that portal 2 takes place a few decades after 1 ...
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive heard between 27 or so years up too 300 years.

I've also heard that if the announcer was right about the 99999days thing than that would put it at 273.78 years. I've also heard Portal 1 takes place after the 7 hour war so that would put it between Hl1 and Hl2. Although that was off SPUF so i don't know what their source was :/
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Very fun game! I enjoyed the SP and Coop. Nice env work, It felt more like an halflife experience then the first one( not that the first one was awsome or anything).. voice acting was great!

Did anyone see another human entering a door at one point? I dont remember exactly where, it was toward the end, i think, during one of the orange/white/bluee goo test, *outside* the facility on the metal platform?

Unless it was one of the coop robot?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It was P-body, Ben.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    aww, well atleast i didnt imagine the whole thing

lol
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    Or Gordon gets captured and put in stasis and wakes up in the future.

But I really don't think they'll cross over like that, I think they'll keep them separate, although it would be awesome if Gordon gets some awesome assistance from the portal universe not necessarily from Chell herself...
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    As far as the timeline goes, if it was hundreds of years, would those potatoes still be around?
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Anybody wants to play on Steam?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    actually its only 27 years into the future, its not 9999 years its 9999 days. check the timeline wiki, first takes place at the same time as half life 2, 2nd takes place roughly 30 years after that. you are just in stasis, not cryogenically frozen, after 1000 years you would be a pile of dust.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    going by the 9s really won't tell you how long it's been.. I counted 9999999.. 5in a bunch and then 2 afterwords... and that would make it 27,397 years in stasis which obviously doesn't make much sense. 27 seems reasonable though.
    and yeah I love that cave speech, especially when the glados potato starts getting all worked up
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy moly, that was sweeeeet ! Nobody paces their games as well as Valve.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    per and I were playing coop seriously

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6802fGjyMo[/ame]

then something happened
    SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER
    you've been warned
    SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbiVUp3YStA[/ame]

OMG GLITCH or shortcut or...dunno
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Or Gordon gets captured and put in stasis and wakes up in the future.

But I really don't think they'll cross over like that, I think they'll keep them separate, although it would be awesome if Gordon gets some awesome assistance from the portal universe not necessarily from Chell herself...

I think the hook will be the Borealis, although "way back when" Valve said Chell was going to have a impact on the HL plot.
    She's been shot 200 odd years into the future now so who knows.

Also whats with all the ambiguous suggestions that chell is somehow Carolines/Glados's daughter? especially in the turret opera

One of the 'Bring your daughter to work day' experiments is signed by a girl named Chell.

Valve sure love setting off the Internet speculation machine :)
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    holy shit, WHY arent you working per. FOR SHAME

CAUGHT IN THE ACT
    CAUGHT WITH YOUR PANTS DOWN, with you PENIS in the USB port

GOODGAME SON
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Seriously best game ever.

They went one further with this, making a ball have more character than most AAA films.

Then they went even further and made the bloody walls have amazing character!

I give up.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    I think the hook will be the Borealis, although "way back when" Valve said Chell was going to have a impact on the HL plot.
    She's been shot 200 odd years into the future now so who knows.

Also whats with all the ambiguous suggestions that chell is somehow Carolines/Glados's daughter? especially in the turret opera

One of the 'Bring your daughter to work day' experiments is signed by a girl named Chell.

Valve sure love setting off the Internet speculation machine :)
    That's really interesting! As soon as I saw the portrait with Cave and Caroline my first thought was "I bet Wheately is Cave's intelligence, GlaDOS is Caroline's intelligence, and Chell is their daughter". I dropped that theory when I finished it because it didn't seem like they inferred anything about the Cave/Wheatley part... but if there are really clues about Chell being the daughter, maybe I was right to begin with?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    check out the cave/caroline portrait in this article, brightness adjusted. Young girl in the background..? http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/24/portal-2-secrets-guide/
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    acc wrote: »
    That's really interesting! As soon as I saw the portrait with Cave and Caroline my first thought was "I bet Wheately is Cave's intelligence, GlaDOS is Caroline's intelligence, and Chell is their daughter". I dropped that theory when I finished it because it didn't seem like they inferred anything about the Cave/Wheatley part... but if there are really clues about Chell being the daughter, maybe I was right to begin with?
    Im thinking chell is adopted to Caroline. I dont think wheatley could be cave though his character is so different.
    Young girl in the background
    looks more like a statue. its wearing a toga.
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.thinkwithportals.com/blog.php?id=5443&p=1

Should see a lot of interesting user created content soon! :thumbup:
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant spoiler images can I?

portal3greek.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    fav quote from the game
    "I'm Different."
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Did you save the sentry that said that?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Good game. Really enjoyed it. Although it was too easy. Clocked in 5 hours including secret searching.

few things though.

1. Where did the rocket launcher eye ball things go from portal 1. They were a good puzzle element and not used enough imo.

2. I expected the fat sentries to be rocket launchers or something. But they don't even do anything. boring!

3. I was expecting the game to be much bigger. Especially when you see the map of spheres saying "you are here", I was thinking we'd get to play through all (25 to 30..ish) of the spheres but its only 2 or 3 that get played.

Cave Johnson is pretty annoying. He's like American Dad or something. Kinda makes the whole thing feel cartoony, especially with all the talk of praying mantis men, etc.

Also 60% of the time when joining co-op mode. All people seem to want to do is grief noobs, which gets old very quick.

Anyhoo. Cant wait for the DLC coming and I really hope we get a portal 2 prelude MOD type thing as well.
  • ZacD
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, just wow. Typical news over dramatization. And the one reporter at the end, 'just passing the blame'... no fucktard, Sony has nothing to do with this game. Why not ask Microsoft, since you can get it on the XBox? Or Intel, because I can play it on my PC.

That dad is WAY over sensitive to this. He's SO sure she's trying to bury this idea of being adopted. God forbid he believe her when she said she didn't notice/hear it. No, you have to stop the game and draw attention to it. So, I guess he's fine with the fat jokes, but just not the adoption one.

Oh, and did the reporter remind anyone else of Kenan?:

28_kenan_lgl.jpg
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    some people take things so serious.

also that one reporter was too funny "we contacted sony,...., they told us to contact valve..., they seem to be passing the buck." because Valve made the game genius!

they also quote the bible, I hope that didn't offend too many people, or the fact that it called you a horrible person, that would really hurt a horrible persons feelings, lol
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »

FFS, what an over sensitive pussy. Of all the things to throw a fit, and call the news over... I really want to rant over this, but I'm just about speechless over the total stupidity of it all. I absolutely agree with the other comments posted about this be-shitted news segment.

Yeah "dad" shelter your kids from all the harm the world MIGHT do to them. That'll get them prepped for when they have to face life on their own...
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I finally got my copy of portal2 which, for some reason, took 3-4 weeks to arrive here and played right through it. Absolutely loved it, it's just incredibly well-made.

And those idiot parents had better not try to give cave johnson, glados or valve any lemons :P
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    If i remember correctly doesn't the game soon after say its ok to be adopted... way to take things out of context.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDUJGj4OfI[/ame]

Think of an E game like a Disney movie, they can be pretty harsh and still make kids cry, it doesn't mean you should get offended by it.

And you can't blame a video for forcing you to be a parent and TALK TO YOUR KID.

YOUR KID IS ASIAN AND YOU SHOULD OF TALKED ABOUT IT ALREADY.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They were waiting until 'she' was ready ... my eyes hurt from rolling back in my head.
    btw, just for full disclosure, I adopted my oldest daughter. Slightly different, because she's biologically my wife's daughter, and I adopted her when we got married. But this part of the game didn't phase anyone in the room, and honestly, I didn't even think of it at the time.

This guy needs to grow some sacks

Edit: Ok, I just watched the follow-up email... I love how she reads the email asking what they were trying to accomplish with the report, and she doesn't answer with anything. Why point out the damn email, if you aren't going to respond to it?

Overall, I don't think this guy was ever going to feel 'ready' to explain adoption to his daughter. He's more upset that HE felt the need to explain things now. Again, she wasn't even phased by this part of the game. He's the one that drew attention to it. She's 10 years old. She should be able to piece shit together by herself by now. Does he he think she doesn't notice that she's asian, and her parents are caucasian?
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    omg. its a freaking video game!! like really?!?! This dude acts like he heard it from the president or something, its a make believe talking robot sphere(to my understanding, haven't played it yet). hop off and chill outtttttt.... I hope valve is laughing at every voice mail.

Edit: and I hope his daughter is like, "yo dad, chill out man"
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Sorry for the buh-bump. But I'm having problems finding people to play the Co-Op campaign with (and not online, where 4 consecutive times, I get a pre-pubescent kid asking me if I have cheats, then leave the game)..

If there's anyone who hasn't ever played the co-op campaign, let me know if you wanna rip it with me next week!

add me on steam (I'm in the polycount group):

jacque_choi
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i have not played the co-op yet.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added you. Would love to play the co-op this week. Just finished the single player.
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Oh my god, yes.

YES
  • TheInsaneMadman
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool and all, but isn't it a little late? The game has been out for over a hear, which is damn near an eternity in gaming time these days ;)

Though, i have to admit, it may make me fire portal 2 back up.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    That's awesome, it's nice to have a more user friendly way to create levels. Going back to source after UDK and CryEngine is kind of hard