Homeโ€บ Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• PolyMonstar
    I feel kinda lost with this guy.
    Painting him up in Sculptris, pretty glitchy, but I dont know how to get blender's paint setup to work yet.

PK2011wip2.jpg

Damn Daphz & lhazard, can you do a video capture of yalls sculpting sometime?
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    DirectX 11 test in preparation for my next scene :)

Love the depth, reason alone to pick up a dx11 video card
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ok getting close to the end on the high poly. Worked in the ejection port and a few other little details. Should be done tomorrow with this and then I can do the low and bakes.

pistolconcept4.PNG
    pistolconcept3.PNG
  • Medestruit
    parlotonesposterfin.jpg

My final. Didn't end up getting as much done as I hoped, but ran into the deadline. If it doesn't get accepted I'll probably keep working on it until it's completed the way I envisioned it and sell it as a print(minus the logo and the text, of course). I had a whole lot more planned in detailing the blank area and the tree, as well as the topiary, but yeah...deadline snuck up on me.

I might throw some detail shots up, since all the fine stuff is lost saving out so small...but not about to blow up PC with a huge image :p
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Highpoly pilar. Taking it into zbrush now. :)

pilarhighres.jpg
  • TheDarkKnight
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Still working on my Eminem sculpt, want to try and finish the high poly today, did some more work on some folds on his shirt as practice, but was wondering about sculpting a hoodie.

folds.jpg

What would be the most efficient way to go about it?
    Sculpt it as a single subtool (vest and hood attached), or as 2 seperate ones, vest as a seperate one?

hood_full.jpg

hood.jpg??
  • Miche
    Hi Thedarknight.
    The best option would be if you model the base mesh of the hoodie in maya/max in a single piece, but then divide its UVs where you want the separate pieces to be and then work with polygroups within ZBrush. Create polygroups from UV option.

Hope this helps!

Miche
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    So much amazing stuff on this 2011 thread so far. Want to comment on stuff but there's too much. Arg!
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Great stuff guys! :)

A drawing someone asked me to do (Mr chilly):

mrchilly.jpg

Maybe some 3d stuff soon. :)
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    cross posting from my sketchbook:

TESS.jpg
    (cause I liked this piece)
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    rusty car is rusty , working on the diffuse

miniupdate4.png
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Moare pilarzzz!1

pilaren.jpg

Only AO and normal bake so far.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    @ Raven: Rusty car is rusty and awesome! i saw your post about the high ress of that model, would be nice to see some low res wires?

@Sander Pillars are looking good :) i like that extra detail on the base of it
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    tnx giles, here is a wireshot
    its 11.394 triangles texturesize is 2048ยฒ, diffuse is still wip especially on the engine
    miniwire.jpg
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    prolow wrote: ยป
    my homage to blade runner, will start LP tomorrow
    DeckardsBlaster_WIP_Poster.jpg

I go to check out this guy's portfolio and see Dead-Eye Dan--WAIT, PAUL??? :)

Should have known you were on polycount. gauss = Jack if you didn't know. Anyway, I am really impressed with the kind of strides you have made in your work, the blaster shows you have not only done your homework right but have the prowess to execute on that level of detail.
    Really looking forward to the finished piece, looks like a personal best for you (as well as a piece anyone would be happy to have in their folio).

Also nice work everyone, I clicked on the last page of this thread not thinking about how it had rolled over already. Several pages in 2011 is off to a good start in less than a week.
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    thanks for the comments guys- been slowly tooling on this, detailing her..armor?..cough. Two versions- bustier with an w/out cups.
    Dan4crits2.jpg
    also want to do some fun fantasy creature dudes so I sketched this dude up
    croc.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    SanderDL: there are a lot of rules involved in creating classical columns, and by the looks of it, you're not aware of them. For example, a column has either 20 (if Doric) or 24 (if other) flutes. You have 10 or so. There are also rules governing the height-to-diameter ratio, which, again varying on the type, lies between 7:1 and 9:1 (Yours being about 4:1).
    Give the Wikipedia article a read. Your technique looks good, but the design is painfully fake.
  • Sean VanGorder
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished this. Started building up a portfolio to try and get into the games industry later in the year. Thought I would make a video presentation as well as an image. Anything that'll help me!

http://www.vimeo.com/18492405

Possible to embed that?
  • an aggressive napkin
    Rens could you show us how you went about making some of that armor?
  • daphz
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    almost done, kind of. I dont think i'm gonna use marmo to present this...
    plaguerenderwippy.png
  • HAL
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    daphz, that design is so awesome great work!

but please please do something about those hands they give me the creeps
    (especially the thumb area, define that more and the hands in general and how the fingers bend and its all great :) )

e:// I believe there is something seriously fucked up as the proximal phalanx of the fingers looks like it was bend in the middle of the bone and not the joint
  • krisCrash
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    I drew Goron Link getting attacked by a butt-faced ice keese, cause of something that happened on youtubes :B
    buttkeesemoon3.png
    ART :P
  • Insulaner
    Offline / Send Message
    Insulaner polycounter lvl 11
    bmx_3_hp_b.PNG
    The more I work on the highpoly, the less I look forward to the lowpoly..

Seth, I don't even know which of the parts is the crank, but making it bigger sounds good enough already.
  • Rens
    eld <3

Napkin, it is all subd modeling for now.
    I wanted to know how zbrush would display my shapes since i've been staring at it in max's viewport.
    Still a bunch to do, but i got a shot or two you might like.

I started with blocking out the shapes. Low poly shapes to match the design.
    From here on, I know what my subd parts would look like, and I use the low poly objects and detail those into subd ready.
    I try and avoid having single objects that are too complicated, therefor i look for places where i can break them up into smaller bits.
    This will leave me with more objects, but i can build them cleaner and have less problems with dense wireframes creating surfaces i dont like.

For some parts i use a FFD modifier, when needing hard edges on organic forms, you can end up with nasty lines over the shape you do not like.
    It also gives you nice control of bending it into place instead of doing this vert at the time. The nice thing about that is, if you need to make changes, you can do it clean on an unbend surface without making a mess.

Having all quads is nice, but sometimes you end up with too many wires, giving you edges on the surface you do not want. By trial and error, you can also use tri's to solve that. Some ways of welding and shapes will give you trouble, some will go easier.
    Just see if you can get away with them. The visor makes use of some to prevent hard verticle lines on it. You can also see some lines come close together at the hard edges, and after that are spaced far apart to keep it smooth again

There is also a symmetry on some parts to speed it up, only having to do one side and the other mirrors
    visorbreakdown.jpg
    innerlegbreakdown.jpg
    spartansubd.jpg

Besides that i spend today on the grunt, fooling around with xoliul's shader settings and fixed bits in the maps,

grunt01.jpg

grunt02.jpg

THE DRUMS OF FIREFIGHT WILL SOUND IN THE DEEP! ONE LAST TIME!..
    for tonight that is..
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Rens: You solved about 10 million potential modeling problems for me. Thank you so much for posting that!!!
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Great info Rens. I use FFD's a lot but never quite in that way. Very useful technique.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Rens: Those look fantastic!

Pro-Tip: You guys can also make a complex Sub_D shape like Rens did there, and then simply skin it to a simple throw-away deformer mesh of any shape or topology you want and mold your hp details over your organic surface just as he's done above with FFD, only even more flexible as you aren't limited to Max's limited FFD cage selctions
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    daphz: Love the sculpt, but I think you could push the texture a lot harder. Maybe add more subtle color variation in general and check out more cavity-type definition on the metal bits. The white swirlies on the dress look pretty painted on, and I think the different elements are all contrasting a little too hard with eachother in terms of shade right now. Maybe lighten up all the darks a little and add a stronger backlight? Dunno, hope that helps.... great character regardless.

great characters rens, and nice breakdown

sketchy sculpt based off / inspired by / ripped off from Allen Williams incredibly badass sketch

penumbrasculpt.jpg

I should probably just make a zbrush sketch thread for myself so I can get crits and stop shitting up the WAYWO... maybe after the polypaint...
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    damn rens that grunts goin straight into my favorite art pics folder
    nice bust ferg looks powerful but a bit sad/lonely or something, a bit different to all the frowny brows we see I guess

dont get much traffic to the sketchbook thread these days so might post something here every so often
    todays sketch - portrait of a friend

jan5th_femaleportrait2.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    That's awesome Ferg. I know it's only based off the sketch, and you probably don't care if it's spot on, but I feel like the ears should be a little deeper. Right now they're rather flat and in the sketch they seem pretty concave. Just my opinion :)
  • selentic
    Great stuff guys! :)

A drawing someone asked me to do (Mr chilly):

*snip*

Maybe some 3d stuff soon. :)

awww, adorable.

Learning realistic ish texturing I guess.

Cannon_Amnesia.png
  • n88tr
    a bit much on the blur
  • selentic
    That's something with the Amnesia engine that I don't think I can control :x
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    hot stuff Ferg!
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Been reading some Conan, felt the need to make a man-ape :)

Not taking this very far, just having fun sculpting

apeMan.jpg
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guys!

@dan! - thanks man! I meant to say something about your chick sculpt in that post but apparently I forgot.... so uh, she's lookin awesome!

@SeanEG - You're right, I'm not trying to make it look like the sketch, but that was still a great crit and I updated the ears accordingly.

I'm creating a new thread for my sketches in a minute here, and hopefully there will be a start-to-finish character in there before long... but this'll be the last one I post in here for a while.

Updated! (based off / inspired by / ripped off from Allen Williams incredibly badass sketch)

penumbrasculptpainted.jpg
  • daphz
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    that thing is brutal!
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ha Jordan, do you just have a "bokeh specks" overlay you put on everything? :)

Looks awesome.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    So much awesome stuff ^

5332215102_de894b821c_z.jpg
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    JackWhat, I love you. I absolutely adore this kind of treatment, you just got me inspired!! Thanks!
  • PolyMonstar
    Jordan, what setup are you using for all the fractured bits everywhere? Realy adds to the render.
  • Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    daphz wrote: ยป
    that thing is brutal!

lol we are teh sux compared to the king of brutality, ferg :P
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Slum - maayyybbeeee :)
    Polymonstar - it's just cubes placed on the ground using scatter, then turbomooth - noise - turbosmooth
  • Arcanox
    I'm working on getting together some modular architectural pieces for a new scene I'll be doing soon. This is just a test of some of the assets and it's very much in the mashup stage so there's going to be holes and alignment problems. I plan on taking care of all of that stuff post projection. The cobblestone with waves is a pain in the ass though. I need to spend a good hour aligning all the pieces and making the seams work a bit better. I might also want to try to do some trickey with mipmaps to obscure all the weird rasterization patterning that'll pop up from it too.

newvictoria1.jpg
    newvictoria2.jpg
  • VanDeMouvre
    Hi all, some work with re-topology. Low-poly mesh, diffuse-, and bump maps generated in ModelSmith3d.
    The skin shader's just hacked together to demonstrate detail.

The diffuse and normal maps being generated. Both the high-poly model and the low-poly one are visible here.
    002%20GlenHead_020.jpg

The generated diffuse and normal maps:
    003%20GlenHead_diffuse_002.jpg
    004%20GlenHead_wbnm_003.jpg

The results:
    005%20GlenHead_021.jpg
    006%20GlenHead_022.jpg
    007%20GlenHead_023.jpg
    008%20GlenHead_024.jpg

Final tally:
    HP Model: 159 thousand quads
    LP Model: 197 quads.
    Mirrored LP: 394 quads.

This is roughly a poly-count reduction of 400:1 with little loss of fidelity.

Zc
    http://www.modelsmith3d.com
  • Medestruit
    sxsw.jpg

New little somethin' somethin' I'm working on.
  • Emeriastone
    Medestruit, it's hard for me to control my undeniable urge to want to copy and mimic your stylings when I see them. But I'll give in and pick up a visual here or there and stuff it into my bag.

Made a tf2 style wooden medieval cart:
    wooden_cart_wip_12.jpg
  • Rens
    Thank you guys for the kind words, makes my day :D

Scooby, awesome, i should give that a try.

Ged, yus i'm in someones folder!
    Got a great base there, going to do some more work on it?
    Though i do not know the contrast range of the portrait, it might benefit from another light tone added to it, some highlighting here and there. Tried the smudge tool yet?

Ferg, that piece is looking might complicated. Id think it is made from multiple objects yet they all flow into eachother like it is one! great work man.

Hey mister Jack <3
  • aNarchy
    working my way through this, large scale modelling for my first time so live & learn. welcome to any tips that you guys can provide from the 3ds max screen provided if you guys see anything you dont like.
    thankyou :)

wipchurch.jpg

half based/idea taken from this:

wallpaper282962.jpg

im thinking ill put some smoke in the final render..
    so, thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.