Offline / Send Message
    Tickwomp polycounter lvl 7
    Just finished my robot bust for now.

unled1it.jpg
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
    @ jmiles - that is freaking awesome... No like really really rad! I'd love to see your textures. What are you rendering in?

Nothing fancy from me just a very quick speed model. For this I was trying to work like It was a production environment.minorindutrialprops_steelpipe.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Thanks Checko :).. that's real-time in Max using the Xoliul 2.0 shader
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    female_1_0021.jpg
    female_1_0001.jpg

click the images for turntable gifs, careful though, they're big! (~7mb each)
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
    jmiles wrote: »
    Thanks Checko :).. that's real-time in Max using the Xoliul 2.0 shader

looks great! I've tried to install that shader. Im usin max 2010 and whenever I click install it returns an "error: cannot install"... It makes me sad
  • CapAmer1ca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapAmer1ca polycounter lvl 5
    almighty_gir - wow, great work! My suggestion - give a color tint to AO on a texture. Shadows are never black.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gir: nice work, mate. I have a couple o' crits though.

Feet looks a bit wonky, the ankle is far too slim in proportion to the bulk of the foot:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuiXECd0gqYTSi9-HHdBRPI1yfugVgn_1nxPcIUTMyeh4ukdTxIpwD4_jU
    Clicky for a gallery of feet from all sorts of angles.

At the risk of picking the proverbial nit, the folds on arms and legs could use a little extra love to really sell it. That and some more saturated blacks. :D
  • undoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I've been working on and off for a while. He's the protector god of hunted animals.

LCYDm.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Undoz that looks great! love the small details
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Shit, undoz, that is wicked! :O
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    undoz, thats awesome!
    cool proportions and feel of weight, also silhoette. well, pretty much everything :)
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Undoz fantastic work...
  • funkdelic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice dreads Undoz :)

Here is a little piece that i´ve been working on lately
    its a old dwarf workshop...

well, feel free to throw some stones

2v3Um.jpg
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    holy shit undoz. i creamed myself
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Undoz: sweet looking char :)

Right.. Slightly more progress on my fishy-dolphin dude thingy-ma-jigg...
    Trying to find a look I like for the chest area mostly atm. But have also adjusted boot lenght, knee placement since last time..
    Any suggestions?

chestarea-test.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys, decided to put this one to rest:
    **note to self - create better topology for animation/bending...
    wikus_final.jpg
    wikus_final_wires_tex.jpg

+ model if ya wanting to do your own version:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4704618/wikus_sdk.obj
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    this is a work in progress but I need to put it on hold for a bit so putting it up here for some other eyes to see- concept by itchynick-http://cghub.com/images/view/161692/

DantKs.jpg
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    [quote=Gusti;1426609

Right.. Slightly more progress on my fishy-dolphin dude thingy-ma-jigg...
    Trying to find a look I like for the chest area mostly atm. But have also adjusted boot lenght, knee placement since last time..
    Any suggestions?

chestarea-test.jpg[/quote]

The Knees look very bland and they don't seem to have much form, i know your still blocking them out but a few ref's that may help.

http://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/hatch-xtak-knee-pads-382-p.asp

http://www.casg.pl/data/gfx/pictures/medium/9/7/579_3.jpg

http://www.rptactical.com/assets/media/104025-70412.jpg

http://store.colemans.com/cart/images/2873.gif
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that Lazerus, but as freaky as it sounds, I have exactly those images saved in my ref folder for this guy + a few more :D

I didn´t want to start adding details below the waist prior to being happy with the overall shape of the legs and boots which is why they are so bland atm ;)
    Thanks very much for the comment though, and its an area that is next on my list of things to take a bit further.

Dan!: Looks nice :D
    Lonewolf: sweet looking.. Very smooth and clean modeling, and all the proportions seem bang on.
    achmedthesnake: damnit! now you gone and made me want to watch the movie again!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I've still got a long way to go on this (not much time lately). Starting to go back over some of the basic forms I put in and add in the detail I want.

dschultz_sc2_091411.jpg
  • Envelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pow! Super sweet!
    dtschultz wrote: »
    I've still got a long way to go on this (not much time lately). Starting to go back over some of the basic forms I put in and add in the detail I want.

dschultz_sc2_091411.jpg
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Hah! Thanks, Jason!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    undoz wrote: »

LCYDm.jpg

because it deserves to be bumped, amazing job
  • alexdubbeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    Lonewolf, dtschultz great work guys :thumbup:
    don`t have too much free time so things going lil bit slowly... starting to texture this one. baked normals wip :poly142:
    vpgrabxm8lowpolytexture.jpg
    wires
    vpgrabxm8lowpolytexture.jpg
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome sculpt and render undoz o_O
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    gusti- I like this guy. his form could end up not being very engaging though, got any ideas for breaking up the silhouette?

lonewolf - badass. that tiny text may not show up in the normal map though

achmedthesnake - this is awesome, great texture

Dan- that's looking sweet, and true to the concept

dtschultz- awesome, the dangling wires are a nice touch.

presentation_small.jpg

any feedback on this before I call it done for now?
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benji: Thanks for the crit, and hopefully the char gets a bit more lively when I get a bit further and start detailing :)

As for the beetle, only crit I could have is that it feels like the metalwork (shape wise, not texture wise) is in a much better condition than the texture indicates. Hard to explain but the specularity seems to flow a little too easily.. Looks very nice all the same though :)

Heres a nice photo
    I found that shows what I mean by the spec and weathered effect of the old car.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    @Benji: That is a dirty little car, the doors are gorgeous and the water trails from the head and tail lights look great.
    Some of the lines on it feel very clean for it's condition though. The line where the body stops and the top of the back wheel well looks like it could use a touch of rust. The rim of the hood too. Maybe I'm off base, that is how oxidation works right? From the edges in?
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    30194146.jpg

This stuff is like sexually arousing!
    Excellent work.
  • gwad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    undoz / dan
    amesome work dudes !

always vegeta or bejita
    vegeta3dguadzou02.jpg
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    undoz: Mad props to you man! An awesome piece of work as usual!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grats ahmed, only took you 3 years?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys, decided to put this one to rest:
    **note to self - create better topology for animation/bending...
    wikus_final.jpg
    wikus_final_wires_tex.jpg

+ model if ya wanting to do your own version:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4704618/wikus_sdk.obj

Really lovely texture and lopo.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I have conquered the Fur! I deliberately put fur into this character because it is by far my weakest area and I feel all the more glad I did now :D

QFIIO.jpg

I tried for an age to just add alpha tufts onto the edges of the old fur but they never merged well and where easily identifiable as planes. I decided it was the actual main fur texture that was preventing me adding alphas so I scrapped it and focused on the fur as a singular alpha entity. 'Shadow Of The Colossus' stylee :) Only 2 shells.

0TQFp.gif

Cheers Ruz, I've tried to add more colour variation on the jeans & boots. I kind of feel like I may be getting to a point where tweaking could go on forever so I think I'll call it soon.

Domo Arigato Gusti!

Too right Quack! Frump & HighElf I've given her a slight smile :)

Heh g2000 I was actually looking at the crysis nano suit aswell, great minds aye lol.

Remmers Super swish, I don't have much to crit man heh. Perhaps the joins between assets could be smoother for example where columns meet the floor etc, those kind of joins between assets could use some dirt & junk.
    Really great overall tho dude.

Thanks Rion411, Nice work he's very SW sand people. His boots seem alittle high tho like they come rite up to his knees, which may be uncomfortable when bending. Not to insinuate he's alive lol but that logically a real person may choose slightly lower boots for that reason. Keep up the good work :)

KANEDA!!!!! Damn Razorb your Ooozing style!

Cool Beans Zxcman! His ears look alil vacuum formed tho if you know what I mean. Still very nice :)

Makecg, Ghibli's always a great choice for characters! Nicely done :D

Ha! Leilei, that's great! The jiggles really work well on her costume. lol it's about time somebody killed miku.

Sai for the win Makkon, what I wouldn't give for sai's brushes in photoshop.
    Cool concepts aswell, he's very Jedi. I like the pinkskellycorn track lol.

Nice thumbnails D1ver, get some more out :). The perspective on your tron bike clashes with the floor tho, like your looking almost head height at the bike but the veiwpoint of the floor is from a higher raised position so they clash to me.

Daphz... um.. nice? lol nawh that's a cool style your rockin.

Bonebrew22! I am Loving that! Great outfit, great pose, great colours, I really like the hand posing aswell. My only crit would be the blockyness of the hair and perhaps alittle more texture depth.

Almighty_Gir I enjoy that you always have a constant starwars theme in your work. It's cool keep it up! The eyes look alil close together tho, nice work on the outfits tho.

Undoz
    that's Nuts you Beast! I'm guessing the skull is his actual head otherwise it looks alil small to fit one in lol. The details are brilliant, you've definitely set the bar.

Great lowpoly work there Achmedthesnake :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    undoz wrote: »
    Something I've been working on and off for a while. He's the protector god of hunted animals.

LCYDm.jpg

BUMP THIS SHHHH!!!!!! :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman - That fur is looking great man. This character keeps getting better and better, and you've done a great job at implementing critiques. The hair is looking much better than the last version I saw as well. Keep it up.
  • MrNinjutsu
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    nice work everybody..dam!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man undoz, that is amazing :D
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »

Working on a beauty render for my updated portfolio, just testing this pose.
    dfs.jpg

Hey I've read that book! Nice work!
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basemesh for this little buddy... lizards have weird ass legs, not sure what's going on with these.

polycount.reptile.01.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Rojo wrote: »
    Basemesh for this little buddy... lizards have weird ass legs, not sure what's going on with these.

polycount.reptile.01.png

I think you can improve quite a bit, if not on the basemesh than at least with the sculpt, i think the overall proportions dont work, from the front he is way to wide in a lot of parts - imho

The side is working overall, but keep in mind in the concept it is moving, so its one leg left behind and one already moving forward, i think making them in a bit more even to create a neutral stance might be a good idea. If you think about someone having to rig it, think about the range of motion, having a neutral stance as a righ pose gives the animator/rigger the possibility to stretch the limb 50% in both directions while a more exaggerated pose might force him to go from 0% to 100% in just one direction, this for instance is one of the reasons why most characters have their hands facing down, so it takes 90° to show the inside of the hand facing forward and 90° for facing backwards, the rare occasions of the hand facing upwards are basicly just that, very rare and something you might not have to consider, having the hands face forward might end up having to twist the arm 180° to let it face backwards, which might create a lot of bad stretching.

The front right now looks like a hippo, reference some disnosaur skulls, the nose needs to be much slimmer, it is a carnivor, a hunter, it needs 3d sight to hunt, therefor it should be able to look forward and not only sidewards, like herbivores his prey.
    The teeth are way to small and soft, this beast has to smash through skulls and bones, has to rip through flesh, maybe even might need to crack through hard shells/carapaces - give it the right tools to be feared by its prey!
    one thing that might be just my personal taste but i imagine the part below the jaw to be more like saggy skin, it would be quite a bit slimmer at the bottom and not like large throat, but really thats more a interpretation and personal taste thing.
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Some work from my first assignments in Uni.

Some kind of sci-fi computer thingy. The concept is from Mass Effect 2. Except for the crappy normal-bake, I'm quite satisfied with the outcome.

computer.jpg

Just a high-poly render from my first assignment, in which we were tasked to create a robot out of primitives. My first real work in Maya. So far the switch from 3DS Max has gone surprisingly well.

wheatley.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The Wheatley highpoly is pretty far off. Post up your wires so people can help.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox: awesome, much appreciated!

You're right about the legs, I tried to cheat since I knew this wasn't getting rigged. But that's a poor attitude, I will go back and do it correctly. I actually first modeled the hind legs in the neutral stance (tried with several paintovers on the concept even), but it was throwing off the body posture and making the rest more difficult to manage.

It's hard to interpret the concept without any perspective angle. But I think you're definitely right, the body and head should be slim and aerodynamic because it's a carnivore. I was assuming the neck skin was an expandable pouch, that would stretch if he were swallowing an animal carcass. I will see if it looks better as saggy skin.
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    The Wheatley highpoly is pretty far off. Post up your wires so people can help.

Yeah, I know, but I was only trying to reach some resemblance. Anyhow, I'll post ze wirez tomorrow, since I don't have the correct version of the model at home.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Rojo wrote: »
    I was assuming the neck skin was an expandable pouch, that would stretch if he were swallowing an animal carcass. I will see if it looks better as saggy skin.

a totally understandable interpretation, maybe some sort of a mix might work, but if not - well yours is also a totally viable approach, looking forward to it :)
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Great work everybody! here is my attempt at a handpainted cartoony style, it's being made for an Egyptian themed level I'm working on. It took my a couple of retries of sculpting and painting to get it to this point, could really use some feedback :D

brickfloor5.png
This discussion has been closed.