Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    All new engine - All new bugs.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    eld wrote: »
    Good! As long as they don't use Unreal engine, to make everything brown and spacemarines.

Man, I once got in an argument with an idiot claiming the reason Killzone 2 was possible on the ps3 was because it was mostly grey and desaturated, and that it takes more hardware to render "real colours".

Sometimes.. sometimes I wish computers came with a self destruct function, that was triggered by the users stupidity.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    That'll also be the day when artists have to realize that they're responsible for stuff looking good, there's never any "blame the engine".

Back in the days you got a single diffuse texture with simple per vertex lighting, and you LIKED it! :P
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    its not surprising that its their own proprietary thing. Here are some reasons why its not id tech 5... speculation ofcourse.

* Everyone at Bethesda would have to relearn a whole new pipeline.
    * Their programmers, just like programmers everywhere, probably think "sure its good, but we can do better!"
    * Carmack said it in one of his interviews that id tech 5 requires really good art staff to make things look good, and I never saw anything in Bethesda's games that blew me away artistically.
    * They would have to rewrite alot of the systems and tools that they've already created.

It felt like thats exactly why Zenimax acquired id was because of their technology, and it would have been really cool if Bethesda switched over to using that tech, it made perfect sense, but i'm guessing it turned out to be not worth the trouble.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also for all we know they could have had a team working on this since TES 4 was released, on the engine that is and art alongside it.

Man, I should stop speculating, I'm only hyping myself up too much.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    looking forward to so much rimming, skyrim, rim rim rim

nc31l.gif
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    rawkstar wrote: »
    It felt like thats exactly why Zenimax acquired id was because of their technology, and it would have been really cool if Bethesda switched over to using that tech, it made perfect sense, but i'm guessing it turned out to be not worth the trouble.

It is likely though that they got help bringing their own new graphics engine up to date with the help of id.

Bethesdas engine (not the gamebryo graphics part) has always been very different in structure from the way you do things in ID.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Wow.. lots of hate in this thread!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Haters gonna hate. I remember when there was a thread on PC for Cameron's Avatar before it was released, chock full of people saying how lame it was going to be. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were visually uneven, but forty hours in it's the cool visual setpieces (seriously, they did have some great visuals at times) and exceptionally large imaginary game world that stand out, not all the graphical bells and whistles that you've gotten used to going without by that point.

I think Bethesda's games are a great example of how game developers can care a lot more about certain issues than game players actually do.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Haters gonna hate. I remember when there was a thread on PC for Cameron's Avatar before it was released, chock full of people saying how lame it was going to be. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were visually uneven, but forty hours in it's the cool visual setpieces (seriously, they did have some great visuals at times) and exceptionally large imaginary game world that stand out, not all the graphical bells and whistles that you've gotten used to going without by that point.

I think Bethesda's games are a great example of how game developers can care a lot more about certain issues than game players actually do.

I think a majority is excited for skyrim though.

Bethesda has become the best at sandbox rpg's.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I doubt people actually hate Bethesda ;) I love their games, but it is no secret that they have a history of technical issues. Most of the criticism in this thread is actually valid; it is fair to expect something being done about the issues people were pointing out for years. Regardless, I'm pumped and Bethesda is clearly one of my favourite devs. My main gripe with Ob was extensive level scaling, not technical issues. I loved it with OOO and I hope they will make item and enemy distribution more like Morrowind and F3.

That said, some of the comments on Kotaku are freaking retarded.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I am really hoping for it to be like Oblivion with just way better character and facial animation. If so I will be set to lose another 60 hours
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    I encourage everyone to hold off making judgments until they see the GameInformer article. :poly121:
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gamebryo definitely makes environments look great, the faces not so much.
    So let me get this straight. Rather than use a tested and celebrated off the shelf engine, they are going to create a new engine from scratch. Does no one remember what happened the last time Bethseda did that? We ended up with fucking gamebryo
    This is just the paranoid side of me talking but.. I fear it still has bits of gamebryo in it, just waiting to cause memory leaks and crashes.
    The only real problem I have with the engine is that it is perpetually too dark, to the point where all you can see of peoples' faces are two little dots for their eyes.

And to think, you spend hours and years making something that will please these people :D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Skamberin wrote: »
    And to think, you spend hours and years making something that will please these people :D

Oh humanity xD
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    e_x wrote: »
    I encourage everyone to hold off making judgments until they see the GameInformer article. :poly121:

SIR YES SIR!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I don't understand what the incessant whining about gamebryo is about. Morrowind and oblivion both used these engines, and I have spent a *ridiculous* amount of hours in both games. Topping off easily over 100 hours in Oblivion, and even more in Morrowind.

Gamebryo doesn't seem to be affecting how a game is enjoyed. The mod community loves it, and in terms of actual gameplay, I've never had any moments where I told myself "Goddamn Gamebryo! You're ruining my gameplay experience!".

I remember spending hours just strolling across the world in both Morrowind and Oblivion, staring in awe at how incredibly gorgeous the environments were. To this day, I still occasionally go back to Oblivion for random tidbits of inspiration when it comes to making my own environments. Oblivion came out in... 2006 right? 4 years later, it still looks good.

As for how there is no diagonal animation, the game was initially designed to play in first person. Always have played it that way too.

Seriously, it's Bethesda's decision to use whatever engine they want. We're all going to play it regardless of what they use. Besides, I am sure Bethesda has made a well thought-out decision, they know things that we do not.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Prophecies wrote: »
    I don't understand what the incessant whining about gamebryo is about. Morrowind and oblivion both used these engines, and I have spent a *ridiculous* amount of hours in both games. Topping off easily over 100 hours in Oblivion, and even more in Morrowind.

Gamebryo doesn't seem to be affecting how a game is enjoyed. The mod community loves it, and in terms of actual gameplay, I've never had any moments where I told myself "Goddamn Gamebryo! You're ruining my gameplay experience!".

I remember spending hours just strolling across the world in both Morrowind and Oblivion, staring in awe at how incredibly gorgeous the environments were. To this day, I still occasionally go back to Oblivion for random tidbits of inspiration when it comes to making my own environments. Oblivion came out in... 2006 right? 4 years later, it still looks good.

As for how there is no diagonal animation, the game was initially designed to play in first person. Always have played it that way too.

Seriously, it's Bethesda's decision to use whatever engine they want. We're all going to play it regardless of what they use. Besides, I am sure Bethesda has made a well thought-out decision, they know things that we do not.

It boils down to uneducated opinions, most people have no ideas how engines work, or what even defines an engine.

Daggerfall to me was one of the most immersive rpg experiences I ever had when I first played it, a massive world, thousands of towns, you could set your own goal and just play for hours.

coincidentally it was one of the most buggiest experiences too :P
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    e_x wrote: »

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Prophecies wrote: »

Overall the engine has sloppy coding put into it, have you used the editor? Not the most pleasant tool to learn, also the amounts of crashes I had, well I say when it comes to crashes Oblivion/Morrowind was fine for me, but Fallout 3 and New Vegas both really buggy, I've played other games using this engine but Bethesda somehow managed to break it with each new iteration. So if they gonna use a new engine I hope it won't have sloppy coding put into it. and actually optimize it properly.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Pix wrote: »
    Overall the engine has sloppy coding put into it, have you used the editor? Not the most pleasant tool to learn, also the amounts of crashes I had, well I say when it comes to crashes Oblivion/Morrowind was fine for me, but Fallout 3 and New Vegas both really buggy, I've played other games using this engine but Bethesda somehow managed to break it with each new iteration. So if they gonna use a new engine I hope it won't have sloppy coding put into it. and actually optimize it properly.

This is what I'm tallking about, you should read up to know that Gamebryo is a graphics engine, the editor, the game, the rest is all made by bethesda.

If you look at something like civilization 4 which uses gamebryo too, you'll notice that the whole game itself it built completely different.

I could argue that source is probably the worst engine ever because of how much vampire the masquerade:bloodlines crashed and the ways it was bugged.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    eld: LIES!

it's the NIF format, that's the culprit, blame everything on that!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    eld: LIES!

it's the NIF format, that's the culprit, blame everything on that!

NIF is the devil, that I wouldn't disagree with.

BTW, is that max von sydow in the trailer?
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    If I'm right Vampire Masquerade was the first game ever made by another developer on the Source Engine, but I can't disagree Source is a mess to get custom content into, really painful long process. This is why I decided to switch to UDK, but not to go off topic too much.

The NIF model format is really awful, very painful to get animations working with it.

Edit:

No positives from me, got to say something positive haha
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Oh boy you guys just had to bring up Bloodlines...

*reinstalling*

Titty physics ftw!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I was joking about the nif format. As far as environment animations and fx, if it worked in max it worked in game. I believe Mythic used some sort of animation middleware for characters.
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Every time I tried to export walk animations they always ended up looking glitchy in game, but looking fine in the editor
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's time we all agreed to judge the game on it's own merits - Elder Scrolls is a huge open world game with alot of freedom, there aren't many studios I know that can top them in that department.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18

BTW, is that max von sydow in the trailer?

hellz yeah. The MVS is bringing you the myth like no other!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Xenobond wrote: »
    hellz yeah. The MVS is bringing you the myth like no other!

conan-the-barbarian_480x270.jpg

"There comes a time, thief, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a father's love for his child."

Typical bethesda :p, they have a hardon for the conan movie.

I remember when they first showed ebonheart in morrowind, and they had theology/civilization playing in the background.

edit: not to mention how much jeremy soule's music for the recent elderscrolls games are so much inspired by basil polidouris
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    I just decided to reinstall Oblivion, get some mods and have fun. I always loved the quest storyline for thieves guild, he's the gray fox!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm thinking.. Another playthrough of morrowind with graphics extender

file.php?id=2221&mode=view
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Morrowind was so far the best TES, Oblivion was good, but more mods for it I guess.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, also I hope to god they ditch the equipment scaling feature. That was just horrible, especially when you got later into the game and highway bandits were wearing glass armor. That made for some serious wtf moments :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Arcanox wrote: »
    Oh, also I hope to god they ditch the equipment scaling feature. That was just horrible, especially when you got later into the game and highway bandits were wearing glass armor. That made for some serious wtf moments :(

Well, there was this giant mod for oblivion, that just about everyone uses, bethesda didn't miss that.

Then they actually also did remove most of it in fallout3, so safe bet is that they're not going back to that.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I wonder if Jeremy Soule is coming back to do the orchestral soundtrack? I really hope so. His musical style fits perfectly in the Elder Scrolls world.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    PogoP wrote: »
    I wonder if Jeremy Soule is coming back to do the orchestral soundtrack? I really hope so. His musical style fits perfectly in the Elder Scrolls world.

The track you heard in the trailer (while not comfirmed) is undeniably jeremy soule.

Probably safe to bet that it's the new theme, and you also hear the morrowind/oblivion theme incorporated into it.

It's easy to spot him:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--rxf-28YlQ&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5DJENl__ZE&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PIb4WpUCEs[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGLphQPp3dc[/ame]

He often does his music digitally with samples, so you easily recognize his usual brass and choir he puts in everything he makes :P

With that said, I like his stuff.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No way, I love .nif!

But more importantly, am I in the game?
  • Geezus
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Geezus: That article was actually very reasonable. Unlike all those suggestions on the official forums - either you guys must have a good laugh at work, or your fanbase drives you insane. Or both.

That said, following the announcement I reinstalled Morrowind; despite all of its faults it's as awesome as ever. Especially with MGE XE which adds dynamic shadows in exteriors.

If you can drop some hints, is the writing any better than it was in Oblivion? I won't tell anyone. I promise :poly142: Jokes aside; Fallout 3 was a step in right direction so I'm hoping for the best. What Oblivion really lacked was the complexity of Tamriel's politics and shades-of-grey morality.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Looking forward to this immensely.

Oblivion for me had unlimited potential, i must have modded it for a good 2 years straight and i really enjoyed it. Were it not for just a few shortcomings i'd probably still be playing it to this day. The dated looking graphics and repetative dungeon tiling got old fast, but most of all it was the animations that eventually grated so hard on me that i just gave up on it and moved on to cryengine modding. It was never the same though.

Good news all round though with the new engine, and new animators too! Really pumped to slip back into my medieval comfort zone to create some custom stuff for this game when it's out!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Haha, you'll get no hints from me, but a friend just sent me the Giant Bomb podcast from the 14th, has me cracking up.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/?podcast_id=194
    They start talking about Skyrim/Bethesda around 1:45:00. :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I started playing Oblivion again last night.. man, I love that game. I really need to put more time into Fallout 3.. barely gave that one a shot. I just prefer the fantasy setting.

I can't even imagine how awesome Skyrim will be. it has so much potential.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    ...a single screenshot, that's all I ask. Just one screenshot.

I need an image to fill my sweet, sweet Elder Scrolls related dreams.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    released on rememberance day?

ooooooo.....
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just have to wait a few more days till that article is released, maybe it will give us some insight?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    You may be asking only for a screenshot but I want someones first born child dammit!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may be asking only for a screenshot but I want someones first born child dammit!

Are all you EPIC guys always filled with this much anger and lust for first born babies?

NOT ON MY WATCH!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Man I am looking forward to this. Elder Scrolls is by far the best game I have played to date. Looking forward to a giant world I can roam around in with the freedom to pick up the storyline when and if I want. Only being stuck in a chute when it makes sense, not too much predefined animation in the combat system (AC3 a great game but like walking through mud).

Not offering up my firstborn, but yeah, great news.