Ilya Kuzmichev polycounter lvl 15
    I've made texture 1st pass, hope I can finish this shit
    txt1.jpg
    C&C are welcome
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    Fallen_Angel : like the armor part. You should make less folds on the clothes, it looks strange like this, as if it would have been rumpled. Try to make just a few as in Daharan86's character (page 56).
  • sp0kelset
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi.
    Kinda my final. Was stressed out like a stuck pig only to realize the deadline was moved. Have been fun. And it's been awesome to follow you guys work. What a boost.

Anyhoo here it is:
    (some strange bug in firefox it seems, there are unintentional horizontal lines on the dark green patches)
    ratsamuraifinal_egen_ss2.jpg
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    @nix

the glow is cool and well done. But tbh i liked your entry more without it. Its just a little bit overpowering. Not saying to remove it just balance it a bit.

DESIGN CHANGE :D

okay one more. I'm kinda happy with this part now. I think the triangular shapes do read.
    I dont like the spikes on the back. The head is crap as well so i didnt show it.
    probably gonna abondan this thread since its a lot of sculpting for a diffuse painting thread :)

feedback welcome.

drag20.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    some of these are amazing!!!
    i like the one tht reminds me of RedWall. :) (mouse)
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    @ Nix:
    Great work your are doing there. You've really captured the essence of your concept. I'm looking forwrad for your final submission. Texture work is really strong. To your renderings: Leave out the depth of field. It's not adding anything to your model as is rather takes attention away from the great texturing you have.

@ ziggy:
    Great work. As well on the textures as the overall design.

@ eazy: Thanks I'm glad you like it.
    @ homes44: Also thank you. To your entry I think you are really on the right track. Your fire effects look hot. ;) But I have to admit I had a hard time spotting anything polycount related in your charakter. Only at a second glance I recognized the logo on the pedestral. YOu might want to think about adding another logo somewhere on the chrakters body. There are someplaces were it could fit in well. Keep going.

So many others to talk about. But It's late. I have to sleep.

So here is my final entry. I will leave it like this until sunday and have a secod look at it. Sometimes you need some distance from your work to evaluate.

dmw_final_shot.png
  • rico271
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow coming along nicely guys!!
    i posed my char
    witn color and glow map
    still need the pedestral

full04.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    @Nix: Thanks man, I've just added a few folds around the waist area, doing these by mouse is really hard lol. I also like your metal armor, great spec textures as well.

Almost done, I think.
    posu.jpg
  • Xyniph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyniph polycounter lvl 12
    @Slave_zero: I really like how the lightning and glow effects came out. Nice job!

So... I stalled out soon after modeling and gave up on trying to meet the deadline, letting him rust in an unfinished folder somewhere... but with the extension, I just can't excuse myself for not finishing this guy.

Quickly roughed out the color layout, planning to have a primary texture pass tomorrow.

turned02.jpg
  • Ilya Kuzmichev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ilya Kuzmichev polycounter lvl 15
    [N] : For some reason, I can't see your and Daharan86's images, I think problem with your hosting
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Excelent work on texture and materials NIX, Keep up

A test on Marmoset

WipTechnoMage10.jpg

Voil
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    ocarian Very nice! I like her face so much!
  • Ziggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice Ocarian!

Did any of u guys have problems when taking screen shots using marmosets own image exporter. Coz I had issues with the alpha. It doesn't seem to render it for some reason. I've read that it's supposed to be a bug.
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks Inpw and Ziggy :)

Yep Same problem Ziggy
    I have no alpha when I use F12

I just push Print screen key :(
    (You can Hide Marmoset's HUD with Space key)

Good luck
  • Ziggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea I had to use print screen
    thnx for the Hide HUD tip =)

Hope they fix the alpha prob soon
  • zubasa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zubasa polycounter lvl 11
    I had a rendering problem with alpha in marmoset too..
    Try changing the blending mode in the material settings, that helped me.
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Ocarian: Great job man. Nice clean texturing.

So i lied.. i dint start unwrapping yet. Made FINAL model changes to match the concept a little better and moved around some polies to smooth out the silhouette in places. Now on to texturing!

dw5modelfinal.jpg
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    So, Here's a quick sculpt of my pedestal. Maybe a little bit too big, but whatever, it's just for fun. I'll make posing tomorrow I guess, so I'll have my pre-final image done quite quick.

First it's only the sculpt in ZB, second is the kind of ambience I want.

pit00.jpg

pit00over.jpg

Any C&C are welcomed !

All your works are amazing guys !

@ Fallen_Angel :
    Maybe because we're using Uppix for uploading our images. If you see those, just let me know.

@ Ocarian : Like your cat ! It has a so good style !
  • ktep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havn't been to this place since 2008...just wanted to say that so much awesome is happening in here! By far the best stuff. Really wish I joined this comp with this forum. =(

@Nix: I think we have a mutual acquaintance =). Your diffuse and spec are pretty hot!

@HntrLuc: the hair! that hair is so great, man.

Too many other cool ones to mention , but for everyone: Good luck!
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    great stuuffffffffff, everybody!!
    good luck to ya, Clint. your concept and model are looking sa-weeet.
    HntrLuc, homes, ziggy, sp0kelset, ocarian: you art is beautiful and inspiring.

got some recent progress to show; hope you like it!

back hood armor detail:
    shadow02_wip07a.jpg
    front hood armor detail:
    shadow02_wip07b.jpg

front boot detail:
    shadow02_wip07c.jpg
    back boot detail:
    shadow02_wip07d.jpg
    full body:
    shadow02_wip07e.jpgshadow02_wip07f.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, where can we get the DomWar 5 logo with a transparent background? I have only found a white and black one, and the blend modes stuff it up on my final image.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    if you're using one with a black background, just use the screen blend mode for that layer. that's really all we've got right now
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starting on the textures
    textureprog.jpg
  • Xyniph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyniph polycounter lvl 12
    [N]: I really like that pedestal!

Some progress :)
    Still have a lot to do, but I'm pretty happy with the cannon and feet so far. Need to clarify the torso, head, and arms, and work on the rusted, broken hand. Then add effects. At least he's coming together.

turned03.jpg
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    @Eazy : Really like the back hood part ! Keep going !

@Xyniph : Thanks man ! Currently beginning the UV, hope I'll finish it tonight.
    Your Uv sheet seems to be quite empty, you should think about redoing them to use more space on your texture. ( And then bake your diffuse WIP on the new model).

Your canon looks promising but you should try to make more detail, like lines and shapes on it.
    Here's an image to show you what I mean :

dscn1551.jpg
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, where can we get the DomWar 5 logo with a transparent background? I have only found a white and black one, and the blend modes stuff it up on my final image.

I assume you've got the logo from here, in which case you can delete the background in a couple of clicks by selecting it with the Magic Wand tool (or whatever your Photoshop-equivalent is) and hitting delete. :)

--
    30wrxgo.jpg

I'll be tweaking the ugly feet (I think they resulted from a rushed rigging and weight-painting job) and painting the textures for the legs, feet and head-dress tomorrow.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine wrote: »
    I assume you've got the logo from here, in which case you can delete the background in a couple of clicks by selecting it with the Magic Wand tool (or whatever your Photoshop-equivalent is) and hitting delete. :)

Nah, not the team logos, I meant the actual Dominance War 5 logo (lol I'm not that much of a noob :poly124:). Yeah so all I could do was set it to screen as suburbbum said, it's looks a bit faded but apparently that's the only available choice.

Ok another question, mostly because I'm lazy to find links, where can we submit? Do we have to wait till Fred does his controversial question answer thing before we can submit? because I can't access the Dom War site.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Oh, my bad.:poly124: In that case, it's a bit of a time consuming process, but you can make the logo transparent by masking via channel, and then painting out the inside bits.

Seeing as I might need it too, I went ahead and made one. :)

As for submissions, you should only be able to do that sometime tomorrow.
    All questions will be answered Monday, 13th of December, and the submission system will re-open at this time. You will have until Wednesday to resubmit your work.
  • sp0kelset
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take the logo with the black background, Select>Color Rage, press on the black and make fuzziness to 200. press OK and then delete.
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks a lot for the comments! Just a few more days guys, keep at it. :)

I posed my dude and gave him a pedestal. Still needs tweaks (if you notice anything, please do tell!), but this is pretty much what it's gonna look like.

dw5p_posefront.jpgdw5p_poseback.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great, but the texture for the shit he's standing on isnt as sharp as the character texture. To me it clashes a bit.
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    Yep, roosterMAP is right. Also the pedestal seems to be a part of a road, it looks weird with the armored medieval guy.

It would need a stronger shadow under his feet, he's floating a bit ATM.
  • rico271
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgh deadline is nearing
    just do some tweak on it added fake green lighting and paint the padestral
    finalfront.jpg
    CC welcomed
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    rico271: I didn't notice until now that the torso is actually a female figure, that looks pretty cool.

roosterMAP wrote: »
    looks great, but the texture for the shit he's standing on isnt as sharp as the character texture. To me it clashes a bit.

Yeah you're right, I kinda made the pedestal bigger at the last minute, that's probably the reason everything got blurrier and he detail looks out of scale. Was a bad idea, I'm gonna resize it back down. :P
    [N] wrote: »
    Yep, roosterMAP is right. Also the pedestal seems to be a part of a road, it looks weird with the armored medieval guy.

It would need a stronger shadow under his feet, he's floating a bit ATM.

Well, he's kind of a robot I guess with all the gears and hydraulics that are a bit hard to make out at this distance. Does it look less weird if you keep that in mind?

I'm definitely gonna add some more shadow under his feet though.
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    Well, he's kind of a robot I guess with all the gears and hydraulics that are a bit hard to make out at this distance. Does it look less weird if you keep that in mind?

Yep, I forgot this but with the weapon and the capes it still looks medieval to me. But that's just my point of view ;)
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Oh well.

I resized the pedestal way down so the detail level hopefully looks more balanced(dunno what I was thinking making it so big in the first place), and gave the feet some shadow. Look any better?

dw5p_posefrontv2.jpg
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    Almost finish the base texture of my pedestal ( just the rock part for the moment).

Any C&C are welcomed !

pit02.jpg

@ Nix : Think it's okay for you ! :)
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Ooh I like the blue glowy symbols. Is the metal going to be that high poly in the final?
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    Hehe, thx man ! The girl has same kind of symbol on her back shield, all around PC logo.
    I'll make a low poly version of the pentacle tomorrow, i've complety forgotten ^^'

For the rock part, I still don't know If I'm going to get some rock material on it or if I'll keep this style... Any idea ?
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Dunno, I would say add the material, but I guess it could go either way depending on what style you're going for with the model.

I'm off, later!
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Nix - Turned out real nice dude. The pedestal fits fine imo.

@ [N] - Think you'll benefit from some texture variation on the pedestal. Not that it should overshine your character, but it can also end up dulling the overall impression imo. Experiment, still got time xD.

Hopefully I'll get most of my work done today, leaving 2morrow for layout and dicking around with details... still missin' alot. Dont mind the swords, didnt plan on him acually wielding em so the blade havent been uv'd.

cheers ++

donkeyballs04.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Just submitted final work, good luck to everyone.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix wrote: »
    Oh well.

I resized the pedestal way down so the detail level hopefully looks more balanced(dunno what I was thinking making it so big in the first place), and gave the feet some shadow. Look any better?

dw5p_posefrontv2.jpg

This I like. Much better!
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    looks much better nix

another concept...

dwarf_concept01a.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Well Nix, I think you got my vote. Everyone's work is sick but the texture on yours is bloody awesome. And the gears in there just step it up a notch from there.

While I think the size of the pedestal is much better the 'road' part still bugs me. Even if he is robot it just doesn't seem to fit. (maybe if he had lazers and not an axe).

But still, I don't think it matters too much, the model rules.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    also submitted my final entry. Good luck to all of you.
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    Another update. Still a lot of work to do :(

Inpw_WIP04.jpg
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My entry's in as well, can't wait to see everyone's presentations. Good luck everyone.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    SunuvaBITCH!

>_<

My desktop PC just completely died. I tried changing the power supply, but I believe the motherboard is completely fried.

Perfect Timing.

:/
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    nice work, Nix. your stuff is looking SOLID.

inpw: keep with it! your textures are really coming along beautifully

i've just got these quick test renders from Marmoset, and i'm trying to figure out how to get a better spec map going. help?

shadow03_wip01.jpg
    shadow03_wip02.jpg

spec map:
    shadow_spec.jpg

now all's i've got to do is do a quick rig, pose, render and get this guy submitted. i probably won't do a pedestal... you don't technically need one, right?