Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    final-shot.jpg

Now we wait. Regardless, I have a portfolio piece that I didn't have 2.5 weeks ago, so keen!
  • Grater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont think I'll make the deadline but I'll post just ignore that fact and keep posting.
    domwarpremodel02.jpg
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    illusion Very nice entry. I like colors and materials. Good luck!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    damn there is some exceptionally awesome stuff in here
    great work guys
  • TonyBTiger83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang you Polycount guys rock. Some real nice stuff here. I knew I picked the right forum. Good luck in the contest. Hopefully the Unearthly challenge will come about so so I can show my stuff.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    New deadline: Wednesday, 11:59 eastern time, December 15th

You late comers have time to finish!
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Update with colors, I'm still working with textures:
    billyrender23.jpg
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    C_BM_Render2.jpg
    It seems it's not crunch time anymore lol http://www.dominancewar.com/index_hold.html

Texture progress so far, I'm feeling a little stuck on what I should do for the clothes, and I feel the colors aren't quite there yet so any critiques are welcome.
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebat polycounter lvl 11
    I'm a little confused. We have to show wires and textures on main/beuty shot?

Turnaround
    http://vimeo.com/17578939

UP (2 versions):

82512106.jpg

48057606.th.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    @Levu: have you tried just giving him the polycount colours? New scheme works better I think but they're still a bit all over the place I think. Are you planning to dirty him him up and stuff or keep him cartoon-ish? What I'm trying to say is the colouring steals attention from the characters face. The flasks are the first thing I tend to look at.
  • TonyBTiger83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refined my layout for the final turn in

Dom_War%20Entry_AnthonyBagsby_02.jpg
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Hey for those who haven't heard yet the contest has been extended for a week and all current submissions have been wiped http://www.dominancewar.com/index_hold.html
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refined my layout for the final turn in

Remember you have to have the polycount symbol on the model, or follow polycount's color scheme, it can't just be added in for the beauty shot image.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    @AimBiZ:
    Yes, I was tried to give him polycount colors (some greens), but I don't like the effect, so I was tried something different. Its new deadline right now, so maybe I will try again.
    I wish to paint him with some contrasted cartoonish theme, with some (not a lot) minor detail, and it's not too easy:)
    You have right with overlook, face and flasks, I will try to fix this.
    Thanks very much for your feedback, I appreciate!
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Firebat: I love it, and your pedestal is so cool too.

Levus: oh man those skin tones! I like the color update.

viv: you came in pretty late but yours became real awesome real quick.

ishii: the fur cape was definitely a great choice.

JacqueChoi: holy crap, who would need to give you a paintover on THAT? lol

Here's some more progress. The axe (though still unfinished) is bothering me. Crits welcome!

dw5p_texwip4.jpg
    dw5p_texwip4axe.jpg
  • rico271
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @thiel_joe thx for the idea, and decided to follow the idea and add volume to the legs part
    and your model look epic man!!!

@Wharkk hey thanks for reminding me about the joints slipped out of my mind somehow BTW love your concept and texturework

heres my update change the legs just pained the glow map here is a quick and dirty render of it.
    full040.jpg

and im late for school now gonna continue when i get back
    C&C welcomed

• Mudkipz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, Worked on my Sell sheet for passing it in, got an extra week now though I suppose, so if anyone has any suggestions please let 'em rip!

@Viv - Holy cow you have some sick effects going on! I like his creepy smile haha. Awesome model.

Levus - That's awesome you kept a lot of detail from your high poly, I love the style! Personally I liked the purple a little more though. Awesome work man.

Firebat - Dang dude that's just sick, you really nailed your class down to a T.

@Der Hollander - Awesome job dude, I find the polycount logo's black tears on his shoulder very creepy, but I like it!

@Alemja - Wow I'm really diggin that man, reminds me of a grasshopper haha, but seriously I love the colours you have meshing. Very nice.

anyways here's mine:
    Final_Sheet_IWS.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Nix, I like the nice subtle wrinkles on the draping banners, nice touch. I see many people really overwork clothing... great job.

Mudkipz, try a little darker background might make your silhouette pop a little more, good work.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @Mudkipz Thanks, he's actually more a Mantis complete with mandibles and venom like tongue. Glad you like to colors too, I wasn't so sure on them and think they could be messed around with a bit more.

About your model, the diffuse might need a little more work, the character could use more history to it (everything looks rather clean right now. As onelunglewis said darker background will definitely help, the lighter color is washing everything out a little too much. Keep it up!
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    Here's my new WIP. Still trying to make her skin look more realistic... I'll do another layer and try to make it dirty/ crappy.

Any crits about her skin would be much appreciated !

144977253a70ef42cfd0fa07721d5.jpg
  • Snex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To Everyone: Dom War has been extended to Wed 15th, 1 week from today.
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    @suburbbum: yep ! ;)
    @Ziggy: hey thx you very much! yeah the psyko smile was one of the key of the design.Hope he is a little bit disturbing.
    @[N] : yep need more contrast & colors...at first I was thinking about more brown skin colors with more dark tatoo, with intense red hairs, in second option, I was thinked about a softer solution, http://images.allocine.fr/r_760_x/medias/nmedia/18/36/08/43/19106170.jpg like that way,(but maybe too SF) it's a feeling choice I don't know, I would also try to put more fake volume on your texture,( but reallly soft, it quick turn bad, with human refs, important point ) and work the intergration of the belt she's got...Is it belt ? because the grey scale plus the icon on it make me think of metal maybe ? also you could make hairs on the base head texture, and add planes with alpha over to have a better integration...Keep it up, you've got ten more dayz !
    @Levus: I love your modeling work :) design, and the finesse of the face is just amazing, so curious to see how you gonna turn this!
    @Nix:hey thanks, yours is quiet ready for war !
    @Mudkipz : Thx !
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Coming closer to the final submission image.

Whats left for tomorrow is the green lightning and doing the PC logo and maybe some polishing here and there. But I think I'm nearly done with it.

final_submission_test.png
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    @viv : For the skin color, i'm already far away from the beginning. I'd like to keep a "zombie" style as she's a kind of undead girl ( been sacrificed in fact). If you've got any good tutorial for skin texturing, send me a PM.
    For the hair, you're right, I'll redo them as in the beginning.

For the "belt" and other stuff like necklace, they're control stuff for the power of the girl. As she's a corrupted, she could kill everybody and destroy everything.
    So this is metal stuff with spikes on the inside ( like Iron maiden torture things).

Thanks a lot ! :)

@ slave_zero : pay attention to the visible symmetry of your PC logo. Anyway, I LOVE the way you've made its integration on the character !
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    happy postponed deadline to you all!

just some random thoughts/mini-critiques:
    @Nix: Maybe try pushing the ax proportions around a bit, like see how a bigger blade would work? Right now it looks a little lightweight, but the overall design is solid. Love your model and texture work!

@[N]: skin is a beaast, so best of luck to you! you're a braver soul than me hahaa. just some tips: skin is pretty transparent, so whatever is going on underneath the skin will affect the coloration pretty dramatically. maybe try adding variation with desaturated reds/blues/purples, as you're already going for a cold, deadish feel, right?

@TonyBTiger83: niiice! one thing, (and onelunglewis mentioned this in his post to Mudkipz) but your model is blending in with your bg a bit much. try sliding the value of your background down, or something to increase the contrast.

@Slave_zero: aawesooome. solid submission, man.

great work all around!

Here's my latest update:
    shadow02_wip06.jpg

With all the extra time we've got, I'm probably gonna go into the texture and redesign some of leg armor, as i think it looks pretty lame right now. aaand the hood/shoulder areas are very WIP. Feedback/critiques much appreciated!

gl hf to everyone.
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is massive! nice work everyone!

Thanks for all the comments and critiques! I'm still texturing and tweaking textures, started the rig and base to keep things moving.

nix - nice work!

firebat - cool colors, nice presentation

arkhange - hey! nice work man, i like the energy slider idea

ishii - nice! digging the beefyness

levus - nice work, cool face. the colors are making things a bit hard to read though, it might be nice to try a more neutral color for the pants like a brown or tan

jacque - pffft, he only does paintovers to make us look like fools. nice work man :P

handsandwhich - cool shit :thumbup:

ocarion - cool character. some AO or directional lighting painted would be sweet

armians - cool design man!

Tons of other cool stuff in here too, so much to follow in one thread :poly142:

WIPity dipity
    dwmini_wip9.jpg
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    i fkn loveeeeeeeeeeee the entries going on here FUCK me in the eye!
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HntrLuc : Happy that you like the energy slider idea :D
    I like the last "WIPity dipity oooooh !" man :D
    This is seriously awesome, colors and executions are definitely really strong !
    You have made a great balance with colors since your last WIP, and it's really readable and pleasant to the eye like that !
    My only crit (and it's not really a crit, more and adjustment), there is just some hair through the collar on the back view, minor issue but I just notice that ;)
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    HntrLuc> ace dude.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Great work hntrLuc. The hair is awesome!
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    @HntrLuc: awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    @[N]: skin is a beaast, so best of luck to you! you're a braver soul than me hahaa. just some tips: skin is pretty transparent, so whatever is going on underneath the skin will affect the coloration pretty dramatically. maybe try adding variation with desaturated reds/blues/purples, as you're already going for a cold, deadish feel, right?

@eazy
    : Haha you're right, it's so hard ! Next time, I'll go for a armored character. Character texturing isn't my strong point.
    I'll try to make some spots and veins underneath the skin today. I think it'll add more depth to the texturing.

For you're texturing you should try to change the color of the clothes. There's a little bit too much green on you're character and the reading of the shapes isn't really easy ( haha:poly142: )
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HntrLuc: that is truely beautiful. You really nailed the painted feel. I would change the angle of your front shot slightly. The gun is making a tangent with the cloak that is burning into my eyes.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hntrluc: fantastic restult! hair and cape look awesome!
  • kitsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys !

Awesome productions for this pre challenge ! I was thrilled to
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    @ Kistune : Nice job ! Your character is really cool and well done but, IMO, the hair are the weak point. You should try to get less constrast and less folds ( I think it could help).
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    HntrLuc: That shit is hot like fiyah
  • Ambient Confusion
    Hey everyone

figured i d finally get off my but and join the fight. Been doing a few doodles in my free time and managed to get a model shaped up as well.

Basic_Concept.jpg

modelphase.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HntrLuc: Simply amazing, but why the extremely huge sword?
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    cause huge swords are awesome!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indeed but not when they look like a smaller variety imo
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Hntrluc: So good man!

Just an update, starting to pose. The arm holding the staff doesn't feel right to me at the moment.

pose1w.jpg
  • TriggerHappyPuppy
    the heat is back on...

brudar.png
  • homes44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's been a while since i've posted, thanks everyone for the critiques and kind words a while back. i had to take a couple days off but hopefully this has made some progress. planning on painting his cape tomorrow, then maybe some posing and i'll be good to go! (i hope)

dwar_wgen_wip17.jpg

everyone's stuff is looking awesome.

@HntrLuc this turned out reeeally nice. i love it.
    @Slave_zero awesome idea, very cool
    @firebat i want him to haunt my dreams. amazing.
    @levus i love your sculpt, i think this is making a really nice transition to low poly.
    @nix i can't wait to see it all fleshed out
    @viv i love your design. tells an interesting story
    @illusion gnomes, i love them. i think we all do. awesome stuff.
    @ishii one of my favorites for sure.
    @jacquechoi i would like to shake your hand sir!

so much inspiring stuff in here. i need to go back and look through everything, i could write sooo many more praise filled @ posts but unfortunately i gots to sleep :( you people amaze me!
  • Ziggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff everyone!

Guess I am done.

shadowdomwar.jpg
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    those are some breathtaking entries.

trucking my way along.. still mostly freestyling :)

drag13.jpg

drag15.jpg
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    onelunglewis: Thanks! Idunno if I even commented on your entry yet, but I think it's one of the most eye-popping in here. I can't help but wonder what it would've looked like with the globe on his chest, but I guess you had good reason to remove it.

eazy: I like your alien proportions. Thanks for the comment, Idunno about making my axe blade bigger though, it's already pretty huge compared to my guy (my fault for not showing them together...).

HntrLuc: Fantastic painted feel you have, that doesn't even look like polygons.

kitsune: Well even if you're not satisfied, that is one sexy pirate. Very characterful.

nightFlarer: Cute! Are you gonna be painting the rest of the body like you did the pants?

TriggerHappyPuppy: I always enjoy bird-people-ish designs somehow. Cool.

homes44: I like that very warm color scheme. Great design too.

Ziggy: Your woody grassy texture is just awesome. I think your pedestal is my favourite on here.

Anyways, added a glow map (finally), a spec map and some environment mapping. It needs attention in some places, still. Crits very welcome, especially at this late stage.

dw5p_texwip5.jpg

Here's some render effects I've been trying out for fun (won't be in the final entry but oh well). Ahhh, marmoset's great. :D
    dw5p_texwip5_postprocessing.jpg

edit: here's a fullbody shot, as to not only post a couple of busts, lol
    dw5p_texwip5_fullbody.jpg
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    @Nix : Really nice spec map ! Your armor looks definitively great with it !

Here's my new update, I think I'm pretty done with the skin. I've make a quick spec map and rendered it in marmoset (BTW i think the spec isn't really visible). As this is my first step with it, I don't know how to put the glow map, in it. If anyone can explain, It'd be nice ^^'

C&C about skin and everything else are very welcomed.

dbd8610ca666da30a86bdf7901ef1.jpg
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    feeling a bit lost...

drag19.jpg
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Nix- Your metal looks great man. Texture is really starting to look sharp. The spec map added a lot to it.
    Ziggy- Looking great. Lots of character and nice colors.
    homes44- Texture is looking really good. I like your character design a lot. Nice proportions. the arms are a little boring for me though just being wrapped up. Maybe paint in some straps or bracers on the forearm or something to spice them up. Waiting to see it with the cape :)

So with all of the shenanigans regarding Fred and Dom war, its looking like i might actually get to finish this. Ive finished the model and am starting the unwrap. Texture-less models are boring but what the heck..
    finalconcept2.jpg
    dw5model.jpg