Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progres..... I chose colors, now time to make details.

dw5_13.jpg
  • kirian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soda uber cool:)
    and ill give ya 'color friend' for her:
    husariolow4.jpg
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG:)
    You have right, We will have couple:)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Also, Soda, it reminds me a lot of the singer "Emilie Autumn".
    I like it.
  • homes44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    painting away... i'm far far from done but i'm going to try and finish the diffuse tonight. spec tomorrow. try and ignore the arms and legs as much as you can, he's missing one of his shoulderpads in this too...

@weisheng looks awesome, loving the style.
    @jfletcher your robut feels my heart with warmth. in a good way, not an unhealthy way.
    @bogdan *solemn respect and love to you sir.
    @everyone - so much amazing stuff, so little time. i gotta get back to painting.

dwar_wgen_wip9.jpg
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Sixton: I like it, I think the sharkeyes really help the evil look.
    kirian: yours looks so highpoly with only 3000 tris. Nice.
    homes44: that stylization is working out really good IMO.

Welp here's a little start on my texture, and the uv map:
    dw5p_texwip1.jpgdw5p_uvmap.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Some more progress on ym texture. Tomorrow the face and the parts between the armor. Oh and the FX of course. After that I'll do last tweaks in texture and adjusting colors.

I'm not so happy with the color-sheme as well as how the refelctions turned out. I think I went a bit to far with reflections and stuff. Makes it hard to read. I Think I can dim the reflections a little after the painting. Also I'm afraid the colors will not work that well with green lighting and the polycount logo I've planed.

I'll definately will try out different color-shemes once I finally finish the texture.

render5.png
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Tons of awesome stuff in here! I just have time for a quick update tonight, running out of time :poly121:

textures still need a lot of love, everythings mostly laid out though...

dwmini_wip8.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    HntrLuc Awesome work!
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    @hntrluc- I really like your design dude!
  • rico271
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg so many cool stuffsssss!!!!
    BTW heres more WIP
    gonna repaint the body it looks gay now
    somehow i cant render this in maya any1 know why???
    C&C welcome
    full01.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    rico271: you rendering it w/ maya software/mentalray/vray? More often than not with high quality mode turned on in maya, you can get sick screengrabs from that. Rendering characters require much more work put into it.. Many things can go wrong. soo yeah... if your looking for quick presentation then screengrab it or try marmoset.

HntrLuc: your killing it! great hair and design.

Slave: i dig the blue on gold scheme, but yeah. team colors and all, you might mix it up. Looks great! cant wait to see the face.

kirian: cool dude! are you planning on posing him? you tottaly should! looks great, But wheres the greentooth logo though dude?!:)

Soda: Cool blue chick. I see a sword sheath behind her, is there a weapon to go with it?
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work everyone! Bogdan's and hntrluc's models are one of my favourites.

Here's another small update from me (sigh..procrastination)
    techmagewip.png
  • PirateSpider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im getting more and more embarrassed to show my stuff, you guys are really beyond amazing, all of you.

Hntrluc and Bogdan, simply stunning, amazing, they leave me breathless

@ Nix you sold me on your model now that ive seen just the start of the texture, very faithful to your concept, love it

Heres me, Im way behind. really only textured the exposed skin and just started the helmet. Ignore the dumb texture all over the unfinished parts, I just slap stuff on because blank space intimidates me.

wargen3

Curse you all for making me hand paint my texture. I don't even have 3d coat so i have to do it all in photoshop >_<
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ithoual : Your work is stellar dude !!! (T'as vu le jeu de mot :p)
    @Hntrluc : Man, I love the style ! A kind of pervert (in the good way :)) Albator ! I hope that you'll find time to finish this piece !
    @Fletcher : Really inspiring final, as all of your WIP, seriously amazing execution. I'm not bother by the matress look of the mantle, I think that it fit perfectly we your character intention !
    @Sixton : Not sure neither about the shark eye :) Maybe just try to make the pupil all black like that and the rest of the eyeball in white... Maybe it wont work better, but just for testing ! :D
    @kirian : Your character looks great ! Ytou could push the texture a bit more, but it's cool so far. There is just the eyes'color who bother me, I think the really saturate violet could be replaced by an other color who can match more with the rest of your character, don't you think ?
    @ Nix : Your grayscle paint looks great so far, I like the idea of the teeth on the helmet !
    @Homes44 : I'm really diggin' the head so far. It need a bit more polish but it looks promising. I'm not a big fan of the pure white eyes, but it's just my opinion ^^
    @weisheng : I reqlly like how turn your charcater in final ! Cool posing and sweet design/color treatment, really original and personal, the attitude looks great IMO ! My only crit go for the mask that give a sad look to your character, it's maybe just the glowing trail but it' seems really sad to me, ignore my crit if it was your intention ;)
    @Onelung : I already know all the Marmo features but I take a look to your video and it's pretty cool that you take time to explain all the tricks/tips :D I thank you for all the people who don't know this soft ;)
    I think you just forgot the screenshot point. The screenshot in Marmo are just all fucked up ! When you got nice Alpha with the "Alpha to coverage" check, the screen appears really messy and with wrong alpha, in fact it's good to know that the screenshot feature just handle Binary alpha with "Use alpha testing" check and an alpha threshold well set. Anyway if you take a screenprint, you don't have to suffer of all those problems but if you have a specific background it will maybe hard to compose your final pic... I just throw my own experience of this soft to warn people and avoid them to going totally crazy :D Again thak you dude !
    @viv : The lighting on your last post looks great but I'll take more attention to the metallic part if I was you. It looks really simple compare to the rest of your character.
    @Ocarian : I was in love of your first sketch man, really like this cat tachnomage. Great start on the texture but I hope thatn you will finish this one (Et je plussoie Ithoual / bouge ton bouel, t'as interet
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    Continue painting )

text_wip03.jpg
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    wooooooowwww.... all's i have to say is go team polycount! amazing artwork and impressive progress from you all. weisheng, HntrLuc: kudos for being awesome:). and now i'm embarrassed to show my stuff lol.

shadow02_wip02.jpg
    shadow02_wip03.jpg

anyways, here's a small up since i changed my model around. looks too much like a nun right now, eh? hahaa. as always, feedback/critiques are much appreciated! it was cool to hear from ya, Ithoual; thanks for the info.

gl hf out there!
  • samhakem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samhakem polycounter lvl 14
    OK, So I will be lucky to finish this guy on time, let alone under the 3K budget. Least I will have a nice high poly addition to my folio if nothing else :poly142:

Now onto retopo and then unwrap and textures, any and all crits are welcome! Critiques about my character are welcome too hehe...

@Bogdanbl4 and kirian

Those textures are disgustingly good, seriously, insane. Love it...

update11.jpeg

update12.jpeg
  • samhakem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa! Illusion, NICE babe!
  • homes44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more painting for tonight... gots to sleep now.

dwar_wgen_wip11.jpg
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    New WIP. Really need details and other colors... ( Gonna bleed soon ^^ )

8af599a079269bd687d9c1f0e3aa1.jpg
  • Ithoual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Home44: Great texturing, your colors are really cool! :]
  • samhakem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, does anyone know the final date our models are due? I cant seem to find it...and am crunching to get mine done, I work better with a date tho...
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    marm-02.jpg

Initial pose blocking. Now on to polishing/finishing phase.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some onpage remarks -

@homes44 - looks good.

@[N] - Be careful that her body wrapping (or isnt it part of her armor pattern?) doesnt end up looking like its almost floating around on the surface. Its simply wrapped too tightly/hard todo so.

@mutatedjellyfish - She looks nice, but it almost looks like youre restricted to 256 colors (like the old games). Is this a style choice?

Edit - Lowpoly done soon :rolleyes:...

wargen_dump02.jpg
  • Snex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @{scumworks}

Looks really nice, but what is up with those hands, did you run out of polys? you could try reduce the shoulder pads to make up for it.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    hnterluc- OH MAN, that guy has so much character to him, im loving it. maybe slim down the handle of the sword a little. it seems a bit fat for his child-like hands at the moment.

wow, a lot of awesome coming out of the woodwork on this mini challenge. good job all around
  • samhakem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Houston, we have a problem...lol

Ok time for an emergency redesign...I think I may have slightly over developed this guy for this poly limit... :S

houston.jpg
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @samhakem - You could easily cut half the polycount on hes face and never notice.

@Snex - No no, hands just aight done yet ^^ (the hand shown is just for size ref. while working on him). Still got around 300tris left, and I havent done any optimization yet.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Some onpage remarks -

@mutatedjellyfish - She looks nice, but it almost looks like youre restricted to 256 colors (like the old games). Is this a style choice?

Honestly, not at first. Something in the settings when I started painting has made it fairly chunky, and I liked it, so I went with it. To emphasize it, I grabbed some Leyendecker paintings to base my cloth on and gave a lot of stuff that hard edge.

If I have time, I'll probably go in and soften up some of the chunkies.
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    @homes44 - Man tons of potential there, I like what you got going on for his hands so far.

Question. Does the polycount logo have to stay green? or can you work it into your color palette if its not leaning towards green initially.
  • kirian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys any idea what to do with 700 triss in this model?? they are still free for use
    husariolow5.jpg
    Nix:thanks, 2300 not 3000:)

mikezoo:thanks:) do You have any idea where to put this logo?

Arkahange: :) what about now?

Samhakem::)

HntrLuc: i love design and model but i dont like colors, any way great thing!
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    @kirian: How about giving him a weapon if you don't have one already? It looks awesome so far!

--
    I got owned this week, partly work, partly my second monitor deciding it was part of a cyberpunk sci-fi, and going all ghost-flicker on me. For references and stuff I've ended up having to use DeskPins. :/

Anyhow, I'm way behind, but I'll hopefully have the colours blocked in (i.e. less brown) by tomorrow night.

xpu8wk.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    @Noth -- i'm not sure, but I am going to change the PC logo color on mine as well. It is not mixing well with my color scheme at all and it would ruin the concept to change my armor to green. Hope a "whitetooth" is OK with everyone!
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    @kirian-He needs something on his back. But don't do something just to do it lol. Only if it makes sense!
  • Faf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faf interpolator
    Just a quick color test !

sanstitre2ex.jpg

sanstitre1ps.jpg
  • kirian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita so maby wings;] like heavy cavalry husaria from Poland in XVI
    i had wings in concept..
    husariolow6.jpg
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wings wouldnt be a bad idear, but the direction/shape is making him look way tall imo.
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    Small update. Mostly done with face. Need to boost up.
    Inpw_WIP02.jpg
  • Bogdanbl4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all! Your support is very much appreciated.

in process:
    texturing3.jpg
    uv10.jpg
  • lochness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work all

some texturing...mihawk4.jpg?t=1291332029
  • Bogdanbl4
  • ishii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bogdanbl4 - That is just amazing! One of the best characters I have seen on all of the forums. Mad skills!
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    <--- Speechless witnessing the definition of fine texturing.

I love it. Nice subtle dirt. Will she have a sword or anything? Just curious because of the sheath.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    kirian: I think if you sorta "painted" the greentooth logo on his armor, (chest or shoulder plates) it could look pretty cool. Just put it somewhere. Iam not 100% sure but i think its part of the comps requirements I dont know how committed you are to those wings, but It feels like it changes the whole "feeling" of the character. he seems like a dude who's more comfortable on the ground than in the air. Just my two cents. :)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    @Bogdan: This is soo freakin sweet. Speially imressed with how you managed to define so many details in the diffuse.

Well, this will dwarf my shit. Need to get a move on, and look up some more refs as I'm still struggling on designing the coat. Any good suggestions deeply appreciated.
    Olga_7.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    congrats bog, that's one hell of an entry! are you going to work the back of the head any more? you have some real nice hair detail on the side of your model but on the straight back shot it seems flat (and you can see the seam). that area stuck out to me since the rest of the model is so well defined. seriously nice work! i'm sure we'll be seeing more of this on the DW frontpage :)
  • blaaargh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bogdanbl4 wrote: »
    bonus :)
    texturing3all.jpg

you raised the bar too high, well, bad for you
    I accept your challenge fool
    prepare to be obliterated!!!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Bogdan - That's just awesome man. Best thing I've seen so far. One question for you, how do you go about making a color palette? Especially for something like the skin. I'm real curious about that.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of awesomeness in this thread!

Finally able to get back at this. Unwrapped and ao passed. Not sure if I want to add a weapon or not. I've got about 150 tris left. Progress:
    DWV_PreWIP_03.jpg