Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• Sixton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    Sixton: Looks really good, i like it.One thing bothers me though, her tits are as big as her head and her upper arms look like if they´ll brake if you touch them(too thin)

Thanks for the cc Spec. The arms are supposed to be thin and kinda disturbing as i wanted to give them at least some similarity to a spider's front legs. That's why i decided to bend them at the 'wrist' like that as well. I made some slight changes to give the arms a bit more deformed "no, this is not supposed to be normal" -look

Oh and the tits! I decided to make a small change, thanks. I'm a boob fan.. apologies. :)

@soda: thanks but i'll keep her at this height!
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model's done!

1534g2f.jpg

It weighs in at 2996 tris including a few special effects planes I've got hidden. I ditched the pauldron he had on the skull since it didn't add that much to the silhouette. On top of this I think two faces is enough. I also added some shackles to give his feet some more interest.

Ya'll guys are crankin' out some awesome stuff!

IAmTopper: I think the new color scheme is stronger than the old one, but think I'd lighten up the dark purple there a bit. Otherwise, it's looking great so far.

Borrden: That's a really nice lighting set up. How'd you achieve that effect? Did you use any GI?

onelunglewis: It's coming along nicely. That skin texture looks nice and meaty. Lookin' forward to the next update.

JacqueChoi: That's looking awesome, man. You have a lot of really nice consistency on the ornate areas. Everything looks so sharp!
  • Mudkipz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update_2.png

Just posting a quick update on my War General. I'm loving all the work going on in here guys.

I'm especially impressed with yours Choi, keep it up!!
  • weisheng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng polycounter lvl 9
    some averageness

fail.jpg

fail2.jpg
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    nice wishang

@JacqueChoi
    very nice but i feel like you are overdoing the highlights a bit. Give the eyes some place to rest and the remaining strong highlights will pop more.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    just a bit of messing around
    7f52c6ed34478e23096ebcc93839be9a.png
  • Ithoual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng : Impressive one ,your work have a really nice " draw " feeling. I like it.

JacqueChoi
    : That's disturbing, i really don't know how you can get some sharps details like that. Bravo !!

Saxton : Well dude, start the 3D now (lowres i hope) your concept is an artwork now! I think the soulder part is a bit too large. It's giving her a " male " feeling, but your design is really cool. Good luck !

Small update for me, I've continued the texture and changes some details on the belt. And i tried to add some warm coloured details as someone suggested.

Thx for the advices, and good luck everyone. (Feedback plz!!!!)
    ithoualpdwvplanche02.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Modelling done, now unwrapping and slapping some colors in:
    goblintechnomage.png
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Holy S#!^ Choi thats awesome. Great Great work.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    corrupted concept

5ESBf.png
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Wicked! ithoural and onelunglewis!

Did some more work on the concept side...

bleh6.jpg
    fc4.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks Muzz, was looking forward to seeing your progress really great work. Great concept.! Very fresh.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I can't stop thinking that it just looks really weird to have her legs up like that...
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ithoual, I would say, keep doing what your doing. just keep working those brush strokes (unless thats what your going for then i would say add more tones). great concept btw

Sixton, Love it, if you execute on that concept I say huzzzah!

JacqueChoi great work, style reminds me of a game i worked on a LONG time ago, thanks for sharing your progress.

Cheers
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    @weisheng -- omfg ... awesome!
    @Jacquechoi -- seriously....wow. your textures are so sharp!
  • ishii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dw5ishii01.jpg

So much great work on this thread, victory is coming for the poly peeps :P

I blocked out the shapes for my general - still have about 1k tris to play with but think I need to refine a lot of parts so its gonna be tight!
  • sp0kelset
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comments and feedback thanks.
    Also ideas on how to make it more futuristic. :poly124:
    ratsamurai2.jpg
  • kitsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borrden: I love the proportion of your character. The hands are really nice and bring a lot to the character.
    Weisleng: Your character is really cool. It reminds me of a naruto character.
    Muzz: I love your new ideas on your concept. Can't wait to see it in 3d.

Here's my evolution for the modeling part.

dwv2.jpg
  • IAmTopper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Muzz: That is awesome and I can't wait to see that modeled.
    So much kickass stuff being made here.

I was wondering as far as representation of polycount is concerned, what liberties are we allowed to take with the logo?
    I was reading on the rules that you could either do just the color scheme just the logo or both.
    So far what I've seen in 3d is the polycount logo as an object itself either as a medal or a banner but are we allowed to actually sculpt the logo into the character and blend it in or distort it in any way?
    logouse.jpg
    These are two sort of ideas of what I'm asking about.
    I saw someone draw up a bad ass helmet what had the polycount logo with sections cut out of it to make it work as a helmet but I haven't seen it as a 3d model yet, which is why I'm wondering if distortion of the logo is ok.

Furthermore, would it be ok to distort the logo if the polycount color scheme was there but not ok to do if it wasn't?

If the polycount logo has to be stamped in and unaltered then I'm just going to go with my original energy array idea with the logos being points on a design.

Once again, awesome work from everyone and to anyone who can answer my questions thanks ahead of time.
  • kengkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I add detail and change helmet.:)

pdwvsculpt02.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Snex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @IAmTopper

I believe as long as you can clearly tell its made by a polycount forum member(grey and green colours) it should be fine. However I don't think that either of your "smiley face" designs fit with the character. Try adding a bit of tech or alternate placements.

But overall I am digging that colour scheme. Keep it up.
  • IAmTopper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, yeah. Those were just for the sake of illustration to try and make my post a lot less wordy. The logo will likely not be on the character itself in anything but a subtle way and the colors will be the main "this is from polycount!" force.

Thanks for the info!

I shall now stay my course.
  • Sixton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sixton_dw5_wip_006.jpg

First couple of hours modeling.. this is what Object Plane001 looks like right now.

@Ithoual: i love that techmage! great texturing.. and your advice is duly noted, i'll fiddle with stuff like that later, for sure.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good folks!

Changed up the concept. A lot. I couldn't get what I was looking for in a shadow so I'm going for more of a War General approach. Plus, this is more my style and will probably be more fun because of it. Anyhow:

concept_05.jpg

Still needs a little work to tell that he's the leader but I'll figure out the details during the modeling. Keep up the good work everyone!
  • edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @handsandwhich, dude you totally murdered my Golduck and put it on your shoulder ! : p

really dig the concept, keep it up!
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I'm rather partial to 1 simply because I like the idea of a head in a jar inside a giant cyborg killing machine, but I think it could use some more iterations before I nail the design.

#1 is HORRIBLE! Don't do it. lol, bah, that was the first idea I had, then I saw your sketches... Ah well, I suppose there will be alot of similarities with all the peeps involved.

-edit
    OK, I thought I posted early but see I'm at page 20ish... late to the game.

I'm glad to see your progress, my idea is quite a bit different than where you're going. Your progress is looking pretty sweet btw.

Everyone else's work is looking pretty good too, don't have time to scan the entire thread right now though.

I'm in on Team Green. I actually like the no normal idea, might help me out some.

(geez, when did this start, this is the first time I've noticed).
  • Ilya Kuzmichev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ilya Kuzmichev polycounter lvl 15
    Update. I've added gun on shoulder, glove and some accessories to my technomage:
    concept2c.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    hey hand! looking forward to your posts :) last year's entry was pure awesomesauce.
  • vodkatonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting closer to what I'm looking for. thanks for the input folks!its not making this process any easier.

wv2e.jpg
    wv3.jpg
    wv6.jpg
    wv7.jpg
  • vodkatonic
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    ShadowConcept2-1.jpg

My final concept! Gonna start modeling!
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    I think I'm going to do this guy.
    domwarshadowsketch.jpg

And where I am right now... about 2000 tris...
    shadowpreviewcopy.png

Of course - wires..
    wireshadow.jpg
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    made some progress and a few adjustments to the textures...

screen4l.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • samhakem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samhakem polycounter lvl 14
    Model sheet done, finally going to start modeling! Yay!

@fink jesus dude, love it, would really like to see you texture map, your texturing is very nice...

Any tips? :)

modelSheet_Sever.jpg
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    @samhakem: thanks man! I'm definitely gonna put some more time into it. Still not satisfied, haha. As for tips, I found it a lot easier to paint baking my Ambient Occlusion from my high res model, so i know where everything lands on my Geo. Most of the detail is put on from that.

Just put in as much time as you need to make it look badass! :D
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    IAmTopper wrote: »
    which is why I'm wondering if distortion of the logo is ok.

Furthermore, would it be ok to distort the logo if the polycount color scheme was there but not ok to do if it wasn't?

The way i interpreted it was you could have EITHER colours OR devices OR both. I'm going to edit the PC logo a little to feel more appropriate to the surrounding design, and it should be ok i think because it'll still be recognisable as polycount and not some other forum, and to clarify further i've used a strong green and black scheme.
    I could be wrong, but I think, based on how specific the rules are in other areas, they would mention the purity of the logos if it were an issue.
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    Oh, I missed a lot during these two days!

Samhakem, Sauron, Pleased to meet you too! Thanks for response and let's keep in touch :)

Woogity, Hi! I remember you too ))) you chess pieces was really great! Nice to meet you here.
    My work with the textures really are not as good as I would like, but I'll try to do it well

Sauron, I could be wrong, but I think, hips can be wider and buckles with different sizes, it will be more interesting

Samhakem so far is so good, keep going :)

Sirdelita, very interesting concept. Can't wait to see more )))

IAmTopper I'm not sure about logo, but great texturing anyway!
  • Ithoual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita : I just enjoy your concept, the kind of stuff I'd like to make in 3D hehe :]

Premium :
    Your concept is cool men, nice personality, i think you've lost it a little in 3D, maybe the head is not enough between shoulders , you should try to push your attitude a little.
  • Andr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

I have not actually been part of any competition here but I've been monitoring the activity on Polycount for quite a while haha :D. So I thought, "Why not?" and decided to enter into this competition. I am hoping the colours portray Polycount sufficiently!

I'm happy to represent Polycount in this instance and I hope that you enjoy what I will be producing from this point onward. I certainly have enjoyed everything I've seen so far :).

Here is my debut concept:

Spirit_Richwood.jpg
  • lochness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is another artwork of my character

scan-3.jpg?t=1290344459
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    quick concept. Wouldn't say it's the most original. have a few ideas still roamin around the head. I never draw up concepts but probably should more.

Don't really do bots either so this should be fun.

bot0002.jpg
    just realized my quick scan was sideways, whoops.
  • Kiranor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    Finally, something came up =). Hope to have time to finish. Waiting for comments, thanks in advance. =)
    3f320f27.jpg
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    As for myself, I'm giving a shot at the Technomage, mine being a delicate equation of boobs + hind + futhark.

hindwoman01.jpg

Here is a first rough and not everything's defenitive but I dare think it's a good start.
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So many beautyfull work.
    I`m near to finish model, I use 2245 polygons for now. I plane use 300 polygons for sword and 455 for legs, I think I fit in limit 3000 tris.
    OK, time to sleep :)

dw5_4.jpg
    dw5_8.jpg
    dw5_7.jpg
  • ETA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ETA
    clipboard01rm.th.jpg

My stempunk robot :] I hope that model will be finished next week
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Doing some preliminary painting. Even though I am looking at a lot of references, I am really struggling to get the metal texture looking right, mainly because specularity is what defines metals and I can't get the lighting direction to look right or natural.

preliminarypainting.png
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    A character artist, I am not. I'm finding this a massive slog. The Idea of what I'm making keeps changing in my head and this dude is taking far too long. I am never not working from concept art again.

Here's my start:
    buwCK.png
    the transparent mesh underneath is an old model I'm using as reference. Helmet is a placeholder. urglebluglebluuu I need more motivation :/
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Like your shapes fearian!
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ridley075 polycounter lvl 10
    Got the base mesh done, sitting at 2,999 tris. Yay. Had to downres the face ALOT. Starting to sculpt now, will update with some ZBrush goodness soon...

11-18-10_01.jpg