Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Only loosely related but I highly recommend watching this guy Zemalf play the walking dead the video game, its great and he plays in amature, roleplaying-like fashion, taking it seriously, treating it as real (ish) which of course benefits immersion. Fair warning though, the first part is a little bland and events of the little girl near the end may break your heart.

I sometimes like watching Lets Plays of games im just slightly not interested in playing so i can check out the art while doing so. His Blade Runner LP is great for that as well, amazing atmosphere.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixh6fzs79lo&index=1&list=PLvqxe4XbcSiG1TjtXDkU8h7qFXoR836n8[/ame]
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    sad to say, but it beats the last Walking Dead episodes...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm having a hard time liking Fear the Walking Dead. It just feels like it's filled with cliches. The thing that I found enduring about the Walking Dead, was it broke the norms. You never knew when someone would go, including main characters. Plus, the people don't treat each other, as they do in regular society.

I don't mean that to sound like I'm expecting people to die, or that I'm missing the zombies. I actually really like the 'beginning', and the idea of how people react to discovering the disease. What I don't like is the writing.
    For instance, this week, the REALLY annoying thing was, why aren't they telling the daughter about what happened? Maybe she'd stop getting confused when everyone freaks out each time she tries to leave.
    And the typical, whiny teenage BS just continued this week, with the other kid. "I'm trying to do something important here!". No, you're video taping a crowd, so you can get youtube hits.
    And I wanted to reach through the TV, and taint punch the kids mom, when she wouldn't stop talking, from the point she picked up the phone. And god forbid he tell her what was going on, and THAT's why he's trying to get BOTH of them, and not just the shithead kid.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah not a good follow-up, it went much more by-the-numbers than I was expecting. Ok health scare... riots... looting blah blah, is this shit entertaining to anyone anymore? Just your typical zombie outbreak scenario.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I could rant an entire wall of text about things I didn't like this week. even the politics of the situation (the main attraction to this spinoff in the first place) are bland, predictable, and painfully shoehorned pop culture references. I want to see religious fanatics, paranoid neighborhood watch committees, politicians desperately trying to actually help the situation, good samaritans learning the hard way, doomsday preppers gleefully arming themselves for the apocalypse they constantly warned their neighbors about. instead there is the cliche bullshit mentioned above with only passing mention of the political context of the situation. we're forced to listen to family members bicker and stuff, so boring, just dripping w missed opportunities.

however it comes down to nothing else being on tv that will assure I keep watching. at least for now. get it together, show
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    I want to see religious fanatics, paranoid neighborhood watch committees, politicians desperately trying to actually help the situation, good samaritans learning the hard way, doomsday preppers gleefully arming themselves for the apocalypse they constantly warned their neighbors about

Yeah wtf? I would think this kind of stuff would be the whole premise of the show. Instead in less than 2 episodes were back to the "oh no the walker is in that room, run". Who is writing this garbage?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I am really enjoying it. I think the clear reason they're not going the whole politician/cult/doomsayer route is because 1.) its done to death and fairly boring/predictable faire, and 2.) more importantly, its a much tighter focus on the characters themselves, which has been kind of the shift that TV has been on in the last 5 years or so. I really enjoy that both FTWD and TWD tend towards slower paces and more character development.

Anyways its been well done so far, looking forward to more.
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    If the second episode doesn't pick up, it's bon voyage to Fear the Walking Dead.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    its done to death and fairly boring/predictable faire, and
    As opposed to angsty teenagers, who obsess over their media devices, and hate their step parents? Everything about this show has been predictable... even the jump scares.

I'm glad some people are enjoying it though. It's slowly slipping down my interest radar. The first week, I let it buffer about 15 minutes, into my DVR. Last week, I DVRd it, then watched, just before heading to bed. This next week, I may do the same, but after that, I may just record it, and watch it later in the week.... if I continue watching it at that point.
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at_a_protest_Walking_Dead.jpg

Ugh! At this point, I hope this kid gets wined & dined at the zombie feast.

That dialog... priceless.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    why the hell was the daughter walking down the middle of the street to her boyfriends place with headphones on? should have made that the step-son and had a car take him out already

also why didn't the mother and that knife kid leave all the food behind? seem like a waste especially considering they already took care of the principal
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Yea, I'm not thrilled with it either. Slow moving, very bad lines. I thought the actor cast for the drug adict was not only subpar, but also it seemed they wanted to find a Johnny Depp looking actor.

Will give it a couple of more episodes before I decide.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    notman wrote: »
    As opposed to angsty teenagers, who obsess over their media devices, and hate their step parents? Everything about this show has been predictable... even the jump scares.

I'm glad some people are enjoying it though. It's slowly slipping down my interest radar. The first week, I let it buffer about 15 minutes, into my DVR. Last week, I DVRd it, then watched, just before heading to bed. This next week, I may do the same, but after that, I may just record it, and watch it later in the week.... if I continue watching it at that point.

Haha, I don't know man, I think an angst teenager subplot is pretty much a requirement for decent shows now, don't ask me why I don't like it either, it's definitely the weakest part of this show too so far.

Homeland
    Mad men
    Sopranos
    Breaking bad
    Twd
    Halt me catch fire

Pretty much every show I can think of for some reason.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    Homeland
    Mad men
    Sopranos
    Breaking bad
    Twd
    Halt me catch fire

I haven't watched all of those series, but for the ones I know, the angst kids are typically the biggest complaints in the shows. Why continue to do it?
    Everyone hated Carl running off, or being a whiny shit, on TWD.
    Breaking Bad, everyone hated when Jr kept acting like a little bitch.
    It always feels out of place, and adds nothing
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    don't know how many others have already decided to tune-out Fear the Walking Dead, but wanted to report back w the season finale coming next week.

actually really liked the past few weeks episodes, things have picked up quite a bit. the circle of focus has widened beyond this family and included some interesting characters. while they skipped a few days of the outbreak in its early stages, and some of the interesting things I was hoping to explore were passed by. that's okay though as they are exploring some stuff, broadening character development, using sub-plots better, eased back on the teenage angst, etc. kind of predictable in places but everything feels so much more natural. also, this guy:

EigOPCl.jpg

feeling like it's really hitting its stride lately, super excited for the season finale. interested to see if anyone else has noticed improvement

TWD back in two weeks!
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't watched all of those series, but for the ones I know, the angst kids are typically the biggest complaints in the shows. Why continue to do it?
    Everyone hated Carl running off, or being a whiny shit, on TWD.
    Breaking Bad, everyone hated when Jr kept acting like a little bitch.
    It always feels out of place, and adds nothing

What I'm about to say could be nothing more than 'broscience' but there might be a little something to it as well

When they add characters like Carl, Jr, R-3P0/Jar Jar...This allows the other characters' personalities appear more vivid by means of a contrast comparison.

Using an abstract example, think of it like this.
    By placing a white square on a black background...It'll make the square appear *more white than if it was simply on a grey background-Which would make the square seem muted and seem to blend in too much to make any difference.

It's a tool that story artists use to help better define the other Characters' personalities. If that makes any sense.

Edit:: Really looking forward to TWD coming back!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'm about to say could be nothing more than 'broscience' but there might be a little something to it as well

When they add characters like Carl, Jr, R-3P0/Jar Jar...This allows the other characters' personalities appear more vivid by means of a contrast comparison.

Using an abstract example, think of it like this.
    By placing a white square on a black background...It'll make the square appear *more white than if it was simply on a grey background-Which would make the square seem muted and seem to blend in too much to make any difference.

It's a tool that story artists use to help better define the other Characters' personalities. If that makes any sense.

Edit:: Really looking forward to TWD coming back!
    I get where you're coming from. Maybe it works for others, but for me, it really turns me off, when shows do it. It's overdone, to be honest, and when hey get too many bad characters, doing the same cliche crap, it becomes hard to find a contrasting character, to shine.

I've stuck in there, but really not enjoying this one. I mainly watch it, because my wife bugs me to start it... which is odd, because I got the impression that she wasn't enjoying it.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i hear ya.
    This show really has nothing for me either... other than providing background noise for while I'm working. The whole cast could get snuffed out by a zombie horde and it wouldn't bother me at all.

The only time I've looked back at the tv was when the Black guy was talking. It caught my attention because it sounded like he was rehearsing for a voice-over job. :icon60:
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finale already? I gave up after the 2nd episode, maybe I got to the 3rd one not sure... might finish it up once I run out of other stuff to watch
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    really? nobody? aw man, I honestly thought it got pretty good. of course there isn't a single other show on tv right now that I'm interested in so that's a factor.
    It caught my attention because it sounded like he was rehearsing for a voice-over job.

right? could have sworn he was a voice actor!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Haven't watched ep 05 yet, but after some of the scathing comments in here I was actually pleasantly surprised with the first 4. I do think the couple of skipped days you mentioned could have instead contributed to a better build-up, though.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    no comments on the first epi yet? i liked it, the back and forth vibe was really cool
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    fear the walking dead put such a bad taste in my mouth I skipped it, will prob watch it eventually.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 wrote: »
    no comments on the first epi yet? i liked it, the back and forth vibe was really cool

Yeah, a good bit of back and forth. A nice episode overall to help setup the impending doom.

Though...
    I was expecting Morgan to really lay into Rick at the start of this episode. They sort of glossed over Morgans' shock when he witnessed Rick kill a human inthe last season finale.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    yodude87 wrote: »

I loved it. It seemed like a really cool way of reinvigorating the series. No one expected something like that in the first episode. I thought it was handled really well, with the going back and forth between time periods.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Very solid episode. The last 3 of Fear were great too, it definitely peaked towards the end.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, a good bit of back and forth. A nice episode overall to help setup the impending doom.

Though...
    I was expecting Morgan to really lay into Rick at the start of this episode. They sort of glossed over Morgans' shock when he witnessed Rick kill a human inthe last season finale.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode

I was more expecting Morgan to go all Mr Rogers on Rick, but instead he listened to him. He doesn't seem to fully accept his choices, but doesn't seem to judge him too harshly.

And I'm not likely to return to Fear if they get a second season. I really don't feel like I got anything out of the show. Despite an interesting setting and potentially interesting characters, it felt stale to me, maybe I'm just jaded. Props for getting that much empty city footage though!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    really liked that episode!
    That horn sound was creeeepy.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    throttlekitty: they've actually already greenlit a second season. I may catch the first episode, to see if they make adjustments, based on audience feedback. FTWD was bashed pretty hard, from everything I've seen.

The Walking Dead really proved how much better it is, in just one episode. Better production, better dialog, and better story. I was a bit confused, at first, why they switched to black and white, but it obviously made more sense, as things progressed.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh interesting
    Since they've greenlit a second season, FTWD could get much better...

They have the opportunity to put the main characters into real zombie danger in the new season. I want to see zombies killing, and getting killed. THATS the whole point of me watching these shows!

Remember, in the first episode, when the drug addicted kid encountered his first zombie, and had to run to saftey. THAT was interesting. -It had me wondering exactly how smart or dangerous the zombies could & would be in this show.
    Since the 1st episode, they've been pretty much in a safety zone with the only conflict coming from other soldiers , blah.

Until now...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They have the opportunity to put the main characters into real zombie danger in the new season. I want to see zombies killing, and getting killed. THATS the whole point of me watching these shows!

haha, maybe for you, but really, the point of these shows, are to show people breaking away from the 'norm', and how they evolve when social norms change. Zombies just create that scenario, and add a threat.

I was fine with FTWD slowly leading toward full on walkers. I wanted to see more tension between people who know what's happening, and those who refuse to believe. I expected gloom and doomers, like hard core religious groups talking the end of the world. Maybe some government secrecy/hiding, leading to an eventual tension between citizen and military.

They only hinted at the military/government thing, and really glanced over something that could have redeemed that show.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    yeah just when FTWD was getting good, that finale really let me down. as of now, we have two shows telling the same survival-in-zombieland story simply from two perspectives. totally agree w Notman. really wanted them to focus on different things but now it's just a shadow of TWD. and not a particularly good one. not wise to compete imo. easily apparent w such a strong series premier of its namesake.

I want to talk about some really cool things I noticed on the premier after a second watch:

1) Abraham has an epiphany; Abraham has a moment w the dead drunk guy's body and realizes his past is not all that different as he stares at the wedding band. think it is foreshadowing that he is hitting the bottle at the same time. he realizes he messed up and was also punished, just in a different way (family left him, they died). he shows a connection to the man and "pours some out" for him. respect? he then takes the ring drinking with him. I'm curious what this means going forward. get the sense he no longer needs a mission, he needs the action now. Sasha is still at a point where she needs a mission to cope and their talks lay out more cool elements to both of their character arcs, being lost and found again but in different stages of grief. and absolutely not out of [mental] danger. Abraham is def my favorite character, this subtle subplot is riveting. going to break my heart of he loses it...

2) Morgan and Rick are feeling each other out; cool thing about these two is they are always on vastly different mental levels every time they meet. and they still somehow manage to get along and compliment each other in helpful ways. now is no different w Morgan re-stabilized (somehow) and seeing Rick falling off the deep end. he is being accepting of Rick's attitude but is challenging him to regain his humanity before it slips away. Rick needs that from someone and it is awesome that it is Morgan. They have that relationship where they clearly trust each other but are understandably cautious, where they have to check each other and it appears to be making the whole unit stronger. they were going back and forth the whole episode sizing each other up but not in an aggressive or judgmental way. more awesome character development from the writing staff, love it.

3) Carter is actually not a dick; every story usually has that guy who doesn't like the way things are going and wants to do it his way. a tired trope but you kind of need it sometimes in narrative. what the writers did with Ethan Embry's character was design that guy to be constructive. not a scared sissy or a arrogant jerk who'd just rather do things *his* way. he's a smart guy who is truly worried about Alexandria's new leaders, the safety of the residents, and the "plan". he challenges Rick's plan from the jump, but constructively. he asks really good questions and wants to be very precise. even Heath says "the man has a point", further driving home that groups need to have members challenging things for the good of everyone. When he is caught plotting against Rick, he shows more humanity by taking full responsibility in the face of death. it's wasn't personal for him. he really wants to assure his city's safety. eventually coming around to trust Rick and throw in his support. I think that's neat, would have been so easy to take the cruder route and make him a dick who deserved to die. instead they give him depth and make you sympathize w him

/wall of text :poly136:
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, good points Polygoblin. I think I would've tried to save Ethan. Just knock him out instead of sticking a knife in his cranium. Let him carve his own face off later if he wanted to live.

I think luring all those damn zombies out of the quarry pit was absolutely stupid. It would be the perfect killzone to either light 'em all on fire (sorry about the smell Alexandria) or try to burry them. Oh well.

And I can't believe none of these survivors haven't found some comfortable Kevlar to wear. WTF?
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Well, Carol is a goddamn badass
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian wrote: »
    I think luring all those damn zombies out of the quarry pit was absolutely stupid. It would be the perfect killzone to either light 'em all on fire (sorry about the smell Alexandria) or try to burry them. Oh well.

Well, they HAVE proven that burning them just turns the walkers into walking torches. I had thought the same, but unless you have napalm, burning them probably wouldn't work. But as you also pointed out, there were other options.

I think it would have been better, to wall up around the semis, as it was suggested to Rick. Then start using various methods to kill the walkers. Hell, even if you couldn't finish all of them, it still would have been fewer walkers left wandering around, if they moved the semis.

This week was pretty awesome. Seeing that guy fly in, and machete the neighbor, was crazy. The only thing I didn't understand, is why they obsessed over chopping/smashing victims. Like the guy who kept axing the body. That is, aside from the obvious 'badshit crazy' argument.

I also hope Morgan doesn't mope about, getting upset about the killings. I understand, he thinks that's the path that leads people to where he was previously, but he HAS to see the necessity eventually (and understand the distinctions).
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also hope Morgan doesn't mope about .

He might not. Especially, if the last scene insinuate what I think it did.
    The way the camera craned up, panned back, and with morgan walking the opposite way than Carol.. gave me the distinct impression that he was going his own way & leaving town. *shrug*
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how Carol can make snap decisions and get shit done.

Can't believe Deanna's son pussed out with that scoped rifle. pfft.

when_the_shit_hits_the_fan.jpg

I think they have one 'W' prisoner, so I think they should waterboard his ass or something. Let it be like a community-wide event so people can learn.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    at night, monsters check under their beds for Carol

how did Morgan get back to Alexandria so much faster than everyone else??
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    at night, monsters check under their beds for Carol
    Hahaha
    how did Morgan get back to Alexandria so much faster than everyone else??
    Pole Vaulting
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually now that I rethink it, FTWD still has potential. I realized exactly how much they tried to toss on their plate all at once. They introduced a ton of characters, moved through a lot of scenarios, and tried to balance those arcs with the main plot.

Compared with TWD, people were introduced pretty slowly, and you have time to really know what they're about, time to care about them. There's little things TWD is able to because it isn't as rushed. Like the kid playing with the (A)lexandria stamp at the start of last night's episode, and showing he marked Carol's porch at the end. A seriously cool throwback to the kids introduction, contrast against the mentality of the wolves, and the trap markings at Terminus. :O :O
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Kridian wrote: »
    I like how Carol can make snap decisions and get shit done.

Can't believe Deanna's son pussed out with that scoped rifle. pfft.

Yeah really, PFFFT :poly127: ! He could have saved 2 people.
    At least he got the truck driver.

Carol was just badass, i expected her to pull out 2 guns any second and go full John Woo style.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what did the guy say to morgan at the end? he mumbled something, paused then said "you should have" or at least I think he said that, any ideas?
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what did the guy say to morgan at the end? he mumbled something, paused then said "you should have" or at least I think he said that, any ideas?

My guess was he was saying you can't kill me.... "you can't can you?"

..You should have

Then he does at the end.
    I'm fairly certain he kills him because as you see Morgan walking away from the house there is a lot of blood on his staff.
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    OK, before everybody will start crying. Glenn is not dead. Walkers teared apart body of the other guy that fell on him. End of story.

He will die some day. But this is not this day.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    mantragora wrote: »
    OK, before everybody will start crying. Glenn is not dead. Walkers teared apart body of the other guy that fell on him. End of story.

He will die some day. But this is not this day.
    They fell into a sea of walkers. What are the odds that Glenn is going to survive that even if they were eating the guy on top of him in that scene?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, they had me fooled, at first, then I realized, he really didn't scream in pain, like other victims do. I think he was just watching that idiot get eaten on top of him. They've also shown, in the past, walking ignore them, if they get covered in dead flesh. I think, once meal time is over, they ignore Glenn (who is now covered in human remains). Someone will possibly help him.

It seems like a stretch, in reality, but I'm sure that's how they'll explain it.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I was thinking he slides under the dumpster. Given he was surrounded by a million zombies, they'd prob pick apart everything there. If this doesn't cement though that Glenn is basically Tom Cruise (invulnerable), nothing does.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW. How he shoot himself if they ran out out of ammo? Magic bullet?