Home General Discussion

Diablo 3

Replies

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Torchlight 2 (with co-op) should be out very soon. That'll get us by till whenever D3 is out.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Maph wrote: »
    You're gonna be sooooo disappointed when D3 gets postponed again then. :D

If it gets delayed again I will actually cry! They can't keep teasing us with runestione effects and gameplay videos if it isnt nearly ready! It's not fair!
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I was going to play again diablo 2 with my brother, but i thought it was a TOTAL waste of time :P

This eternal wait is painful, i want to play D3!

Lol why is it a waste of time?!

I actually forgot all about Torchlight...to Steam!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    why?

Because i played it more than 5 years lol, since the first day. And now it would be a pain in the ass to get all the gear, sojs, and levels for a good character. A year ago i leveled a sorc, a pala and a trapper, and as we know, the characters if you don't use them, they get deleted :S

To play the same game too much time is quite sad, isn't it?

I hope to see torchlight 2 soon, their artwork is quite good and this second version looks great.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Yay Torchlight 2!!! :D
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    I think they will do that stupid shit again Skamberin :(
    But you can play with me if you want! :D

Don't give kotaku your traffic. Go here man! http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/runestones.xml

This is so fucking awesome.

I wonder how they're acquired? Crafting? Ultra rare rune drops when the moon is full during the 2nd week of a month? made after clicking the bnet gem the # of times of the current date?!?? Can really see this being a great way to enhance the PvP, as well as being a great role definition for group play!!

cant wait omggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Blaizer wrote: »
    why?

Because i played it more than 5 years lol, since the first day. And now it would be a pain in the ass to get all the gear, sojs, and levels for a good character. A year ago i leveled a sorc, a pala and a trapper, and as we know, the characters if you don't use them, they get deleted :S

To play the same game too much time is quite sad, isn't it?

I hope to see torchlight 2 soon, their artwork is quite good and this second version looks great.

No not at all! Not if you enjoy it! Although if you have other games you want to play you might want to play them first but yeah definalty not sad!
  • Gustavo.Branco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gustavo.Branco polycounter lvl 9
    Hi everybody!

I know it could sound profane, but maybe you haven't noticed Dungeon Siege 3?
    I'm not comparing it to Diablo of course, but it looks good while awaiting for the grand master Diabolic!
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Torchlight 2 should be released soon now. I think it's supposed to be released during july :)
    Loved so much the first one but I got bored when my two characters went level 90+ :poly136:

Anyway people reinstalling diablo 2 right now might check this if ever they don't know it :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstone
    Diablo 2 is full of bots now anyway, there's no point playing it again, except in solo for a little fun :)

Haven't decided what character I'll play in diablo 3 though. Any ideas ? :poly124:
    I played a looott a light trap assassin in d2 so I was going to play whatever distant combat character they would do but I was very disappointed when I saw the demon hunter trailer/gameplay footage. Now I'm more for a barbarian or a monk :)
    Did you already made your decision ? :\
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Monk for me...something about an old hermit kicking arse that tickles my fancy.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    My class decision is decided by two factors: How fast can it move around? How much damage can it put out? Outside of that i don't really care if they're a retarded midget, or an over sized pudgy woman. I'll probably check out the skill trees and then decide. Here's hoping the classes aren't too similar, little worried they may bleed together a bit.
  • Gustavo.Branco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gustavo.Branco polycounter lvl 9
    Always sorceress for me!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I always tend to play the quick ranged characters, so I might go with a basic melee character when I pick this up.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    EDIT: they might have some SPOILERS at the end of the video on some act 1 details i guess. Dunno if that is something that has been discussed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yb_Z8hCxlk&feature=feedu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yb_Z8hCxlk&feature=feedu[/ame]

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

THEY REMOVED SKILL POINTS
    THER REMOVED TRAITS
    YOU CAN PAY MONEY TO GET ITEMS
    YOU DONT EVER HAVE TO GO TO TOWN

is this for real? Is having people spend real money to acquire items becoming more of a standard? I mean.. i'll hold my opinion until i play the game, because i know blizzard is commited to making a game that is fun and for the people. I just think sometimes having a corporation attached to a studio it will change the focus on some aspects of the game. So we'll see...

Apart from that, i don't think this changes much, i will still play it and i am sure this game is gonna be a blast and a beautiful game to look at. I just wish the micro transactions wasn't part of this, i feel like it takes away from the exp. But i can be proven wrong. This game can't come soon enough.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    You forget "you always have to play online, because everyone wants to play online anyway".
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Paying real money to get items has been a part of Diablo for a while - Blizzard is just taking control of it. They are also allowing players to sell items for money on the auction house as well.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    player controlled economy with blizzard getting a cut of every transaction

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/diablo-iiis-real-world-currency-auction-house

lol thats some crazy clever idea on blizzards part
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You forget "you always have to play online, because everyone wants to play online anyway".
    And "modding is expressly forbidden" to complete the triptych of apoplectic fanboy rage.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Sounds cool. So long as everything the game has to offer is available to everyone who plays. I approve.

I never buy anything with "real" money in games, to me its like cheating being able to buy the best sword whenever I want. I do like trading within the game though. Hopefully everyone will not just want hard cash for their items. I expect there'll be alot of people item farming and such. Making money from items doesn't appeal to me tbh.

I've only briefly looked at the auction house in Spiral Knights but it sounds a bit like that.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I read that the items you can buy don't effect gameplay. So I expect just for the visuals.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Quite ballsy! Interesting!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    This game just went from one of my most wanted games straight to the bottom with this news.

No mod support, 'always online' DRM, and worst of all, removing gameplay features to incorporate this stupid auction system.

Didn't Blizzard try to stop people selling their WOW accounts on ebay? Now they are doing the exactly the same thing? Talk about Hypocritical!

So people that don't wanna buy items are gonna be at a disadvantage right from the start. I can see the rare items going for more than the game costs!
    At least the similar system in TF2 gives people more options to trade, craft, random drop and then they have the store if they really need it.

Then you get Blizzard quoting they won't make any money from this! Yeah right, they wouldn't be doing it otherwise and pissing of their fanbase.

Torchlight 2 can't come soon enough with this news!
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Wait, what's this "only play online" crap? I hate playing online, unless it's with a friend, and no one I know plays Diablo. Well, one person, but he's kind of a dick. Looks like I need to educate myself on this topic. I REALLY hope they don't kill Diablo 3 with some bullshit micro managing, anti piracy, junk...
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    This is the $25 flying horse all over again...
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Personally I don't care about the auction house since I enjoy the game (or most games like this) solo or co-op with my brother or friends. All that matters to me is if I have fun, and I get more game-play out of it then what I paid for.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/01/diablo-3-will-let-players-buy-and-sell-items-for-real-money/

“We talked about this as a service we wanted to provide players, and not primarily as a financial model… we don’t know if it will make us money. It would be nice if it did, but as long as we don’t lose money, that’s really what we care about: that we provide the players with a great experience that doesn’t put us out of business.”

Value to the player

“We think it’s really going to add a lot of depth to the game,” says executive producer Rob Pardo. “If I have more money than time I can purchase items, or if I’m leet in the game I can get benefits out of it.”

“The players really want it. This is something that we know people are going to do either way. We can provide them a really safe, awesome, fun experience, or they’ll find ways of doing it elsewhere.”

It’s true that some players bought and sold in-game items for both the previous Diablo games through unauthorised third parties. I’m not convinced that means the player base at large want it to be a part of the game.

You won’t be able to buy a game-endingly good sword at level 1, since items have minimum level requirements. But the real-world value of 100,000 gold for a level 40 character is bound to be a lot less than it’s worth to a level 1.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/01/diablo-3-cannot-be-played-offline/

“It’s the trend that we’ve been moving towards,” Alex says. “Obviously StarCraft 2 did it, WoW authenticates also. It’s kind of the way things are, these days. The world of gaming is not the same as it was when Diablo 2 came out.”

I check with him to be absolutely sure: there’s no way to play without being online? “There’s no offline play, you have to be connected to the internet.”

The anti-cheat reason makes sense, but why not permit an offline mode and keep it separate from the online game?

“We thought about this quite a bit,” says executive producer Rob Pardo. “One of the things that we felt was really import was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you’d start a character, you’d get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/01/diablo-3-mods-expressly-prohibited-by-blizzard/

“For a variety of gameplay and security reasons, we will not be supporting bots or mods in Diablo III, and they’ll be expressly prohibited by our terms of use for the game.”
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    “If I have more money than time I can purchase items, or if I’m leet in the game I can get benefits out of it.”

yup, this. makes sense to me.

if it angers you that some rich dude can buy a sword you worked so hard on, maybe he's pissed you have the time to dedicate to the game when he only has 1hr a week?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    that auction house is so awesome. revolution is go! /applaud blizzard and diablo team... this is a fantastic addition.

though, would be nice to be able to have "offline only" characters, with no AH, etc.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    “We thought about this quite a bit,” says executive producer Rob Pardo. “One of the things that we felt was really import was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you’d start a character, you’d get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.”

Sacred and it's bunny suit would like to say "Hi".
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so instead of buying items from possibly shady 3rd party sources you can buy them from Blizzard - you guys realize there's been 3rd party item stores for a while now right?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    yup, this. makes sense to me.

if it angers you that some rich dude can buy a sword you worked so hard on, maybe he's pissed you have the time to dedicate to the game when he only has 1hr a week?

Why even bother playing a game if you cant be bothered to play it.

Thats not a problem with money thats a problem with the design of the game(lots of games). If you have to play weeks to aquire something you can easily get with a little bit of money. Thats a class system right in the game. One has to toil in the fields whilst the other has fun, he could even grief the player whom is toiling in the fields.

Its not a game its a factory working sim.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I just heard about the implementation of the 'real money' model for the auction house. Now, I'm not familiar with the Diablo games really, but I've been looking forward to 3.

So my question to you guys who have read more into this new system, will the game be fully enjoyable by those who don't wish to spend real money in game?

Also, will it affect the level of skill required to obtain certain items allowing players to compete at a higher level than they would previously have been capable of because they 'bought' an item.

I'll use WoW as an example because I'm familiar with that. Let's say a player is in top-tier armor. He or She has played to the level required to obtain that armor, and is therefore likely to be able to play at that level, know the tactics, skills etc. Whereas if a player 'bought' that armor, they would be able to play in the top tier dungeons, but possibly not really know what they're doing and possibly lower the enjoyment of other players in their group, simply because they stole Daddy's credit card, or just want to buy their way into the upper levels of the game and have more money than sense, or time.

As I said, I'm not really bothered that they've introduced real money into it, I suppose I'd rather they didn't, but I'm curious as to how it will affect gameplay, if at all.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    They should make a market level
    undergound bazaare of some sorts, where ppl can auction and even challange each other for items.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear Mr Pardo,

Give us the option to play offline with a warning that you can't take that character online later. I NEVER play online, and will NOT be tempted when I'm level 20-30-90-whatever. I want a single player experience, without retarded kids calling me names, and nerding out. Single player experience allows me to follow the story, and feel bad ass as a one man army. Multi-player experience makes feel annoyed, and that's it.

If I WERE (and I'm not, this is just an example) to want to play online, I'd fully understand the need to start a new character. It wouldn't be a problem.

Please give us at least the option of offline only.

(and not a single fuck was given by Blizzard that day, because I'm nobody)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    Dear Mr Pardo,

Give us the option to play offline with a warning that you can't take that character online later. I NEVER play online, and will NOT be tempted when I'm level 20-30-90-whatever. I want a single player experience, without retarded kids calling me names, and nerding out. Single player experience allows me to follow the story, and feel bad ass as a one man army. Multi-player experience makes feel annoyed, and that's it.

If I WERE (and I'm not, this is just an example) to want to play online, I'd fully understand the need to start a new character. It wouldn't be a problem.

Please give us at least the option of offline only.

(and not a single fuck was given by Blizzard that day, because I'm nobody)

I think you got it partially wrong, nothing stops you from playing alone (singleplayer) at your own pace, you just have to be playing it while connected, it's not an mmo.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Coming from a guy who played at LEAST 2000 hours of Diablo 2. I'm Ok with this.

I was doing mundane Nilithak run after Nilithak run (like hours upon HOURS of these things).

Half of my "/f list" was at some point running a Pindlebot, or MephBot.

Rather than spend thousands of hours doing mundane run after mundane run, I wouldn't mind simply buying a few things here n' there if i were really into the game.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I am a little upset that there is no offline mode. Me and the girlfriend generally played D2 online in a locked server but occationally when the net was down we'd play LAN. Shame this won't be possible, but i'm sure we'll survive.

I very much doubt the auction and real money transactions is going to effect the co-op story mode at all. But it might make a big impact on the PvP. With teams of people buying the best stuff and owning people, etc.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I still play diablo 2 and when I do it's on b.net and in a private passworded room so I can solo. I just do it so I can play with friends later and we don't have to start from lvl 1 - so I'm ok with this.

It also means I can un-install and not worry about losing my characters after 90 days~
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    New gameplay footage.

I'm pretty sure my first and main character is going to be a wizard, but damn that witch doctor and his army of toads is tempting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-oT585bQUo[/ame]
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    bah!

i think it's fine.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Yay, staying competitive in PvP for a price..

How is this at all a good idea for the players, again?
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I think you got it partially wrong, nothing stops you from playing alone (singleplayer) at your own pace, you just have to be playing it while connected, it's not an mmo.

I really do hope I'm wrong. If it's like Borderlands on Steam, where it's MP if you want, but I played it SP, and steam is always online, then I don't have a problem.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    I really do hope I'm wrong. If it's like Borderlands on Steam, where it's MP, and steam is always online, then I don't have a problem.

I can tell you already, it's exactly like that.

Unless you invite players to your password protected game, you'll be all alone.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YAY!!! Sorry I doubted you Blizzard :D Then I'm all a twitter over this game again. Thanks eld
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My gf just texted me to say our internet is down, we are in an age now where losing internet is only slightly below losing power or water.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I really hope they fix that collision detection (or the lack of it)

The game looks beautiful with some really neat tricks but it just doesn't feel right...
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Playing this game while traveling with your laptop is completely out of the question. If you can't connect to the internet, you can't play? That's just as stupid as Ubisoft and their online only single player. What the hell is going on at Blizzard? I can understand a strict offline/online dichotomy, but offline isn't even an option. What's worse is their justification is about as flimsy as a tissue-paper bomb shelter.

From 1up:

While Pardo recognizes that people sometimes want or need to play offline (such as internet outages, or playing on a laptop during an airplane flight), he notes that the increased security, plus benefits like the above, outweigh those other concerns. "I want to play Diablo 3 on my laptop in a plane, but, well, there are other games to play for times like that."

So basically, "That's not our problem, go play something else if you want to play offline. It's more important to us to ensure every single copy out there draws in a profit than to serve the people the game is supposedly made for." Ok, Pardo. I'll play something else and I won't be buying your DRM-broken fiasco. I'll play single player games that actually work offline. Why should I even bother with your game at all if I can't play it when and where I please? The people calling the shots at Blizzard have abandoned all reason and decided that a game which is made to satisfy their needs over the customers is a good business move. They've chosen to serve themselves and ignore what their customers want while trying vainly to convince us it's a good thing, instead of the massive insult to anyone that ever cared about this game. It's not a feature that provides more value to the customer, it's a leash to make certain that they got their pound of flesh from you.

Just provide a strict offline-only save that can't be transferred to online and it will be all fine. Until then, it's not worth buying. If I can't play a single-player game offline, then it's a bug, not a feature.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not going to get the game simply because of the DRM, but also the other things like no modding??? what the hell? And it region locked, so you can't play with people around the world, just in your part. The excuses for having those things makes me see red, really some bullshit.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    People will bitch about anything.

"OMFG I HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO PLAY AN ONLINE ROLEPLAYING GAME!!?!?"

"OMFG I CAN SELL ITEMS THAT I DON'T WANT TO OTHER PLAYERS AND EARN REAL MONEY!?!? FU BOBBY KOTICK!!1!"

I also wouldn't expect an online RPG to support mods.

I just don't understand the complaints?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Devils advocate time.

@greevar: increased security doesn't just mean against copyright. It also means security against haxxors and people wanting to cheat. Giving the legit players a better game experience. Also, blizzard can create games to be online only if they wish. Just because games in the past weren't doesn't mean they HAVE to.

If it adds security and I don't get owned by some hacking bastard. I'm all for it.

I shall be buying it, probably the uber limited super duper edition with the fold out map and fridge magnet. In fact i'll be buying 2 copies. :)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    As someone who has put a lot of money into Magic the Gathering Online, I'd say that having an online-only, system is pretty vital to putting faith into the real dollars, fake toys system.

I'm assuming your character and everything is stored server-side for this reason, and I think it's essential for an effective online market.

If they're going to go with an online, real-dollars auction house, then that is essential. The flipside of being DRM is pretty much just a bonus at that point, from a product development perspective.

Having said all that, I'm not 100% sold on the real money auction house, but it does seem like a natural evolution for MMOs.

I think the really interesting thing will be seeing how this affects the secondary market, botting, etc.