Home General Discussion

Diablo 3

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    And once again Penny-arcade is right on the money.

i-bMtwfTg-L.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    meh

there is a huge difference between choosing to do something and being forced to do something.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Well... you can choose to buy or not to buy. No ones forcing anyone to do anything.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    And had it not been for the popularity of battle.net in d2, things would not have developed they way they did.
  • Stinger88
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Blaken wrote: »
    No stats, no skill points, 6 available skills, they cancelled the traits system, and it seems like the item system is gonna be much simpler than the one in D2....

Sorry for going emotional, I'm pretty disappointed with all of these changes for the character system. The one thing I hoped would be preserved now seems to be ruined - the deep character development and item system. :<

It's the illusion of choice.

If you spent any stat points on anything other than VIT, you were likely a casual player. At a high enough level, you should be able to supplement everything you wear with +Stat gear and charms.

I remember each class having 1-2 successful cookie cutter builds, and then a whole array of completely useless novelty/tweener builds.

I'd imagine what they're really doing with these changes, is gearing this game for Hardcore high level play.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    just... tell me.... the ... RELEASE DATE.... dammit.

oh and pls don't be the same month as Skyrim is released!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Be calm, kevin. Beta starts in september. I started stockpiling beer and frozen pizza earlier this week.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    just... tell me.... the ... RELEASE DATE.... dammit.

Hell, it better not be within 3 months of Skyrim. I need my alone time.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Its blizzard, don't worry about it being released too soon..

That cookie cutter stuff was the main reason I never played past nightmare. I like to build my own characters with the skills I think are cool...which ment at higher levels I sucked...I hope they really work on this for d3.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter

That cookie cutter stuff was the main reason I never played past nightmare. I like to build my own characters with the skills I think are cool...which ment at higher levels I sucked...I hope they really work on this for d3.

Ha ha!

You could put 120 points into a golem (with synergies), just to have them be completely useless.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10

Totally agree with this. I remember the first assassin I made for LoD, I put tons of points into poison abilities, only to find out it was completely useless in later difficulties. Having played WoW for years I can see they have improved in this field, however you will always have that one class/spec that's better then all the others. Hopefully all abilities will be viable though.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    holy balls that armor is awesome looking!! Great job dudes :)

cant.... wait.... must..... havvveeeeeeeee
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Cojax wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. I remember the first assassin I made for LoD, I put tons of points into poison abilities, only to find out it was completely useless in later difficulties. Having played WoW for years I can see they have improved in this field, however you will always have that one class/spec that's better then all the others. Hopefully all abilities will be viable though.

Ugh! I hate golden path mechanics! I'd much rather be able to play the game how I think it would be fun and have it be fun. I should be able to enjoy the game as a Werebear Druid just as much as a lightning Javazon. Every game play option should be equally capable of taking me all the way to the end without making me feel like I had to take the less optimum path just to experience some variety. If I want to play as an Amazon that doesn't use a Windforce or a Titan's, and wants to take the poison or elemental path, why should I have a less effective character?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Honestly, I'm disappointed. This game is a total ripoff.

Of Pacman!

Both games you play as the hero. You step into a randomly-generated dungeon to collect coins. You also fight against various undead and demons from hell, and ghosts. There's also loot. Sure, it's an awesome armor of +5 awesomeness in Diablo, or a Cherry in Pacman. Then there's the legendary weapons. That sword that instantly slays weaker foes. Or a larger circle that lets you insta-kill ghosts. Of course, you haven't really accomplished anything. Mobs will respawn in a bit. And if you actually clear the dungeon and move to the next, the whole thing respawns.

So they slap a layer of multiplayer on it... big whoop.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Bigjohn wrote: »

Of Pacman!

Yeah. but Pacman copied Hide and Seek, which in turn copied Hunting wild boar, which in turn copied ............

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that a couple of market experts worked out that D3 would be out March-ish 2012. Based on Beta release, other title in the market, strength of the dollar, and other such factors.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monsters with higher level than you? They better not make your resists fall lower in Inferno or you'll be massacred right away. Hell was nearly impossible with many character types, so I wonder if their new skill system will make higher difficulties more accesible to varied play styles.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Bigjohn wrote: »

Of Pacman!

Both games you play as the hero. You step into a randomly-generated dungeon to collect coins. You also fight against various undead and demons from hell, and ghosts. There's also loot. Sure, it's an awesome armor of +5 awesomeness in Diablo, or a Cherry in Pacman. Then there's the legendary weapons. That sword that instantly slays weaker foes. Or a larger circle that lets you insta-kill ghosts. Of course, you haven't really accomplished anything. Mobs will respawn in a bit. And if you actually clear the dungeon and move to the next, the whole thing respawns.

So they slap a layer of multiplayer on it... big whoop.

Haha! :)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12

Or Guild Wars 2 dammit! (that will be much sooner right?)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Ha, that was pretty good John.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I want D3 so bad it hurts.

That being said, some of the screens I saw today are confusing.

Here is an example of amazing armor progression in their concept art for the Demon Hunter:
    ss101-hires.jpg

Here is an example of the same class going from Demon Hunter to..... holy paladin? Looks cool, but doesn't make sense.
    xlarge_diablo_3_inferno_gear_demon_hunter.jpg

Again, here is concept work for the Monk from low to higher tiers (awesome sauce):
    ss90-hires.jpgss95-hires.jpg

And now here is a screenshot of the Monk with something that looks more like a necromancer:
    xlarge_diablo_3_inferno_gear_err.jpg

It'd be cool to see some of the armor progression they showed in the concept art to show in the character art as well. I know it's far from done, but some of these seem like a stretch.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Dun tun tun, Beta client available for download. Won't do shit until access is granted tho. Seems like friends and family only. Can I be your friend? Yeah, I'm not beneath begging for Diablo 3. That series made me the guy I am today.

Best game evahr.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not beneath begging for Diablo 3.

Nuts to that! I'll suck as many e-penises as necessary to get D3.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Where? in battle.net?? i logged in and i didn't see anything in my list of games >_>

EDIT: well.. .its a beta for family and friends so far... but this is just a prelude for the actual beta coming out! i am excited for this! i hope i get in on the beta.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3123035242?page=1

FYI, we’re getting very close to starting the closed public beta test for Diablo III. You might start seeing some new reports about the beta client as we’ve begun limited external testing with employees and their families, and there is no non-disclosure agreement (NDA) for that. We look forward to sharing more info about the beta test in the near future. Stay tuned.

If you have a beta license, you are free to show, share, or talk about any portion of the beta content to which you have access, as this beta test is not confidential.

http://www.twitch.tv/crypto137/b/294463986 <--- some streams of the beta
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The actual beta only covers a part of the first act, and just the part of Leoric :)
  • glottis8
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    That mana animation is just hypnotizing
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It looks kind of dull to me. No mass swarms of enemies.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess if you're going to charge for items you better make sure the base gameplay is pretty stale.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    im gonna be pissssed if like all blizzard games before this, there are cookie cutter builds. give us real customization. not just the illusion of it.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From a lot of videos I've watched, seems like they're really trying to make sure you don't have to conform to a cookie cutter build. Hope so, because D2 was pretty terrible once you got to Nightmare if you didn't have one of the right setups for a class.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm guessing these videos are just low level starter areas, the old preview videos show larger swarms of monsters than I've ever seen in a previous Diablo game.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Those vids look awesome. Dont want to watch them fully though. Spoilers and such. CANT WAIT!!!

Cauldron of Jordan and Nephalem Cube. Nice!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/3435571#blog
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like me how they are fixing the cookie cutter builds issue...is just taking away builds all together. Its like WoW where you just gain the skills as you level(with out having to buy them). There is no skill tree and no attributes. Which I don't really like. Thats taking away the whole rpg element. Theres a bit of customization with the runes and items but really, each class is going to be mostly the same like in WoW. Except in WoW theres at least a talent tree that breaks each class in to 3 subclasses.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I'm guessing these videos are just low level starter areas, the old preview videos show larger swarms of monsters than I've ever seen in a previous Diablo game.

Diablo2 lord of distruction has a very tough end game if you ask me.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    does it not have a talent like tree in D3 as well? I thought there was still customization for skills, just, not which ones you can use. rather which ones you upgrade. hmmmm
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Its like WoW where you just gain the skills as you level(with out having to buy them).

WoW still has you buy new skills as you level. They did remove skill ranks as skills now scale as you level.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    I love the look and feel of the inventory. It's strange, but graphically that's the thing that I'm most excited about. That hand painted look is fantastic and feels more like the items of the first Diablo.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love their sound design. Certain parts where he's killing the skeleton casters, their screams are freaky. Also, hearing the wurring sound of their black / purple orbs floating by is also amazing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWR5IK7O2GQ[/ame]

Here's another awesome one as well, shows some barb stuff. I love that classes have skills that generate and spend their resource, so you don't have to resort to just auto-attacking when you run out of mana/spirit/rage/etc... you have skills to generate it back to use other skills.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCh1sL-nfQ8[/ame]

Good co-op gameplay of demon hunter + wizard

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64645T7EloY[/ame]
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    There's some kind of skill calculator page up on the official site now :
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/

I was kind of worried about the simplification of the whole skill system, but it looks like there are still quite a few possibilities available considering the runes, equipment etc.
    I'm curious to see if there are natural synergies that appear between different skills depending on your rune choices as you play.
    It's kind of weird cause it seems that between level 30 and 60, leveling up doesn't give you any kind of choice to make (all skills are already unlocked, and there are never any attribute points to set).

Need to find a beta key!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never been at such a loss to choose what would be an "optimal build". The runestone modifiers are truly powerful and change the feel of every skill in the game, the skills themselves are incredibly well balanced against each other and no one path seems to "snowball" in power with other skills more than other abilities do. It seems you could pick things at random and be incredibly efficient which i guess is sort of the point. Not gonna talk shit, I could see a lot of people enjoying this setup who always had to go online to see what a viable build was, now they can just pick stuff they like and tear it up.

It'll be interesting to see how well this more forgiving system can stave off cookie cutter builds, or if in a few weeks everyone has the same load outs.

What i fear is the system will be "overbalanced". The bottlenecks are simply gone, that sense of "Oh i really want X so I can do Y". The source of core functions such as lifetap, damage, utility, etc, are so spread out all over the place that one of the core aspects of diablo is gone, that gratification of fulfilling a hugely lacking part of your character, be it getting an item with lifetap/ regen on it, getting a skill with AOE on it, something with high attack speed. None of this is left to chance or high end progression any more, it's all just thrown together in an unplanned mess. Why try to make an in depth system? Lets just throw a ton of skills on each character and then give each of these skills all the same potential effects. Why have classes? Why have skills? Might as well have 1 class with 1 abilty that's modifiable to be anything.

Eh, so much for not talking shit, should probably wait and see.

Quick edit: I must say these items and skills do lend themselves incredibly well to a "Moba" or Dota type game, it'll be very interesting to see how far they take that game mode. If you'll start at level 0, have to purchase runes to modify skills, etc for the duration of the match.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The skills are absolutely beautiful. This lets you make much more meaningful and varied builds, and I can't wait to experiment with what works and what will get you killed.

Psychotic Berserker: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#dfPTYQ!Xgd!bZbZZY
    Kenshi Ro: Omae wa mo shindeiru! http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#RZiUTj!VbX!aaYZZY
    Necromancer: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#YjhZSP!XVd!caZabZ
    Assassin: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#eUfbiZ!cUZ!YYaYZY
    Pyromaniac: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#PRTUiS!bVe!ZbYabZ

These skills look fun as hell! Too bad the wizard seems rather lame, but I never was one for the caster characters. I prefer to get in close and bash faces in. :poly142:
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta take back what i said earlier, tried out the skills again and came up with a pretty badass berserker build that would be tons of fun, I always played a rediculous +400% run speed frenzy barb in diablo 2 who alternated between bash and frenzy for crazy attack speeds. Running around made the world look like a blur at full speed:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fgjaSV!WXf!ZcZYZb

Core skill is the one that gives no rage cost when under 20% life as well as decreased damage taken. The lifetap is controlled by the barb on his Rend skill so he can choose when he needs to regen life always staying under 20% for the badass bonuses. Because he's spending no fury he'll get the 20% damage bonus. Because of his 1/2 damage reduction the 20% health is closer to 40% and the warcry further bumps that up with extra armor and resistances, would have liked to have done the extra life, but the health regen would have taken control of your health out of your hands and allowed you to go over 20% health without actually wanting to.

Alternating the frenzy main attack and bash attack he gains 75% increased attack speed and 200% bonus damage when both attacks are active.

Because skills cost no fury you can spam the most expensive skill Seismic slam for no cost with a massive damage bonus to your hearts content, there is no cooldown.

+100% run speed at all times from sprint, costing nothing again.

Focus on Resisting magic and ranged attacks since you should be able to simply melt close ranged melee.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool build, but you should throw in a leap attack. It's really an invaluable escape skill in certain situations, and if D3 is anything like D2 you'll be hurting for it.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True but the barb does have +100% run speed to just get the hell out. Guess i could swap out the +damage perk since i have so much already for slow resists.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Running fast is good, but getting out of an encircling group, or going somewhere enemies can't access is invaluable. Of course you can also use it to directly hit enemies that you couldn't hit otherwise, such as those behind a wall of enemies, or on inaccessible terrain.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True true, plus being able to leap around forward is cool too making you even more berserky.

Replaced the negligable +20% damage perk with extra armor and throns.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fdjaSV!Wef!ZbZYZb
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Played the F&F a little. Diablo has never really "gripped" me like their other big franchise: Warcraft. Or more recently (and relatively) - Torchlight. That and I never played any previous Diablo games, so there's no nostalgia factor in there for me.

All that crap aside, I like it. For me, any game with a story that I can play through with co-op is pretty much a must have (that doesn't get flat out owned by reviewers), and this has that plus all the layers and layers of polish you'd expect from a Blizzard title. It'll be a great game, and a bajillion seller title for sure. :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sheeeet! I wanna play!