Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I like turtles...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Praise the lord - you've found the one thing that everyone can agree on!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y[/ame]
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    They should have just called it "The Empire Strikes Back" since clearly it has nothing to do with Star Wars. What's all this Cloud City bullshit? A city in the sky is not Alderaan and thus stupid. Clearly Obi-Wan's not even going to be in it. You know it's not going to be nearly the groundbreaking revolutionary event the first one was. Why even bother? Because some of the art and themes and people who made it are the same?

It's probably not going to be any good.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I was really hoping that Bioshock was just a dumbed down offshoot that they were using to introduce retards to the basic gameplay systems before making something good again.

My impression thus far from the video is that this game is a rehash of the Bioshock formula (only even more dumbed down) with Alyx from half-life 2 thrown in.

People aren't even complaining that this isn't worthy Bioshock sequel, although on the surface setting a game in 1900 in a flying city in the same universe as Bioshock makes everything in Bioshock seem stupid and trivial. [edit](oops, I guess Verm actually is complaing about this)

For fans of FPS/RPG games, this looks pretty bad. That is the problem. I guess I can hold out for new Bethesda games, but when Ken Levine said his next game is "crazy ambitious" and "something new" I expect more than a formulaic sequel.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe it's the whole Yorda thing he's excited about.

The question is, will it be better than ultima underworld?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Shodan would kick lord British's arse any day of the week.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    They should have just called it "The Empire Strikes Back" since clearly it has nothing to do with Star Wars. What's all this Cloud City bullshit? A city in the sky is not Alderaan and thus stupid. Clearly Obi-Wan's not even going to be in it. You know it's not going to be nearly the groundbreaking revolutionary event the first one was. Why even bother? Because some of the art and themes and people who made it are the same?

Is that satire?

*picture of pit filled with dead Ewoks*
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    they totally deserved that
    ewok-and-girl-image.jpg
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Now that we all made up and hugged it out ...

I really am going to give the talented guys at Irrational the benefit of the doubt on this one.

What I enjoyed immensely about Bioshock1 and 2 is the story telling... The unraveling of the history of the place through the carefully constructed environments, character voice acting. It felt like a very successful attempt at sprinkling a bit more of a mature/political and cerebral story into a first person action game. The backdrop of the post war era America was very immersive.

If they do the same job with Columbia as they did with Rapture as far the story telling is concerned, I am all game. Few have ventured into pre WW1 America in terms of gaming, so that's going to be very interesting as well.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    TomDunne wrote: »
    And now you're following me from thread to thread over this - having an entourage does make a guy feel important.

Dude, you got my attention with the lolocaust post, not because i care what you think about bioshock. Being a dick about a mass death that's part of my family's history AND being wrong about literature in the same post is going to get me to call you out even if we're bffs.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18

I already said this to you in PM - you win. I lose and you win. I was wrong and you were right. I apologize sincerely for posting an image that is an unpleasant part of your family history. I shouldn't have done that. And I admit that you were likely better read at age 14 than I am now at age 34. I've no defense for overlooking Vonnegut's work.

Now can we drop it? Pretty please?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Moving on.

There's an interview with Ken Levine on Rock Paper Scissors which clarifies a few more things and throws out some new plot points.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/13/the-bioshock-infinite-ken-levine-interview/#more-35892
    I'm not sure I really buy his "You'll only understand the name once you've completed the game", but I don't expect it really matters. A rose by any other name and all that stuff.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack: I think that's been posted twice before already, once by me :D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Oh how I'd murder for them to release the editor this time around.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Jack: I think that's been posted twice before already, once by me :D
    I don't think this one has. It's not the Launch article, it's a full interview with Ken Levine that goes into some more detail about the politics and story.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    To be fair. Wouldn't a third Bioshock game set underwater just be redundant? I am one of those kids who thinks they should have stuck with only the first game and never made any more sequels to the franchise. . . but man, nothing wrong with the direction they are taking it with Infinite. The technology and aura and extravagance of the first game was so amazing.. I've always wondered what the world on top was like. I think it's rad as hell the guys are Irrational are showing us what is happening up above.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 wrote: »

Totally, man. But hey, I've a great pitch for a rebellious city built in the garage of an upper class family, let's make some money!
  • bunivasal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It still has presto-chango biological elements as the first and second Bioshock. However, in place of plasmid hypos you have drinkable potions (tonics?) like "Murder of Crows" which allows you to summon a murder of crows.

In fact, the game looks to actually capitalize on this, since the thing that bothered me most about Bioshock was that none of the splicers used plasmids. They used tonics, sure, but not plasmids.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    ErichWK wrote: »
    To be fair. Wouldn't a third Bioshock game set underwater just be redundant? I am one of those kids who thinks they should have stuck with only the first game and never made any more sequels to the franchise. . .

Problem is if your going is shaping up to be a good success your going to be making a sequel even if it should be left at 1.

Sequels are great for multiple reasons if the prior game was a hit. Easy to reuse shit, lots of the hard shit is already worked out so you can concentrate on making the game even better. Established brands are great for when parents are like "oh hey jonny always talks about that bioshock game and here is this new one, I will get it for christmas for him"

I left bioshock at game 1 and never plan to play 2, no offense to the guys who worked on it but I want to leave it as I thought it was perfect as just a single game and didnt need a second one.

I prob will check this one out though as they likened it to final fantasy, different game, same universe, same name, different setting, different characters.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    I was really hoping that Bioshock was just a dumbed down offshoot that they were using to introduce retards to the basic gameplay systems before making something good again.

My impression thus far from the video is that this game is a rehash of the Bioshock formula (only even more dumbed down) with Alyx from half-life 2 thrown in.

I like bioshock games a lot, and i'll probably like this. The Bioshock series is one of those games that people are going to complain about simply because it isn't the same as a couple relatively obscure games from the mid-90s that didn't manage to sell enough copies to keep the developers afloat.

Give it a rest, and enjoy what has been on face value, 2 very good games, and what will likely be a third very good game. Even if it doesn't pop your nostalgia boners.

Autocon wrote: »
    I left bioshock at game 1 and never plan to play 2, no offense to the guys who worked on it but I want to leave it as I thought it was perfect as just a single game and didnt need a second one.

LOL wut, "I like this game so much that i decided to save it in my heart of hearts forever and never tarnish the sacred memory of it by playing again!!"

Sorry, i couldn't help myself, that just seems like such a silly mentality. Bioshock 2 is a great game, especially if you enjoyed the first.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    ha it dose seem silly. i guess what i was trying to get at was I thought bioshock 1 was a good game. i think i enjoyed the game more because of how different the setting was and the whole style of the game. playing the second one would be like, oh this is just more of the same.

maybe its that i didnt enjoy the game play of bioshock enough to want to play it again? idk it just seems like 1 game under the sea was plenty enough for me and i will leave it at that instead of playing the second one and disliking the series a bit since its more of the same.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome and innovative as usual.
    I think they pulled the right move 100% It's going to breath fresh air into the Bioshock Franchise. No more depressing, underwater scenery!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Even if it doesn't pop your nostalgia boners.

The year 2010, when good gameplay was discovered to actually just be nostalgia.

science is on a roll!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Looks awesome and innovative as usual.
    I think they pulled the right move 100% It's going to breath fresh air into the Bioshock Franchise. No more depressing, underwater scenery!

This is what I like most about what Im working on. In the screen shots, everythings clean and not a rusty-noisey-brown-grey eye sore.

Anywho, we were at GamesCon Germany this past month. We got a lot of good responces from the press. Even IGN Game of the Show award (I dont follow IGN, so I have no idea how significat that is~).
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    whats_true wrote: »
    This is what I like most about what Im working on. In the screen shots, everythings clean and not a rusty-noisey-brown-grey eye sore.

Anywho, we were at GamesCon Germany this past month. We got a lot of good responces from the press. Even IGN Game of the Show award (I dont follow IGN, so I have no idea how significat that is~).

yeah i really like the whole floating city aspect of it, and since i have an insane fear of heights, this should be fun to play.
  • breakneck
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true wrote: »

Yeah, it's like a breath of fresh air. Pretty excited for this. More games should do this... when they have the chance to. I'm just so glad they didn't make another under-water and grungy themed environment for Infinity. It's probably rejuvenated the life into the franchise and will get alot of peoples attention.
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I loved the first Bioshock, but I didn't get the second one, because it looked like more of the same. This however looks incredible! Beautiful! I can't wait to see more.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Is that freakin' Stephen Russell?
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Looks badass! Loved the first one, enjoyed the second, and this looks really slick.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I think the art direction is pretty bad considering the context-- it is kind of like 90% Pixar, 10% anime for a political game with tons of violence? They got away with bad character art in Bioshock because the characters were mutants, and you didn't see much of them.

Gameplay wise, there is not much. Some basic moving and shooting with a couple different "guns", and hardly even any of that.

From a scripting/cutscene perspective some of the stuff is cool, but I don't really get the woman sweeping her porch inches away from a massive fire, or the guy driving around the broken wagon, or the guy doing a stump speech to no audience, only to get pissed off when you take a free gun from his free gun barrel. Maybe they are mind controlled or something and I just don't get the context, but even ignoring that, a lot of the action seemed kind of goofy.

I don't get why they start off with a poster showing how racist the people are, but then the protagonists are lily white? Maybe they just thought the game would have broader market appeal with their core demographic if the game was extremely racist. If they are trying to go for some anti-racist message, I think they are kind missing the point by demonizing racists.

I was expecting a lot more substance and a lot less flash from an Irrational game. I thought the name change would signal them going back to their roots, but instead they are basically copying the formula laid out by Infinity Ward. It seems like most recent games try much harder to look fun than they try to be fun.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, it's like a breath of fresh air.

intentional or not. I lol'd.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I am just as excited to explore the world of Columbia as I was when they first showed off Bioshock.

Marvelous job so far guys!
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    I'd say I'm pretty excited for this. The environments look fantastic. Those effects are pretty dazzling as well.
    So much color were seeing in new games! I'm glad were past the next-gen brown phase.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    breakneck wrote: »

How is it possible for anyone to not like the way this is looking? I swear, some people would complain about a free blowjob from a supermodel. This shit is Bananas.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Its so empty, and 90% of the npc's you meet/interact with seem to be enemies. I can understand why it was that way in Bioshock 1/2, but it seems like such a shame for a world as open as this to have no one friendly around.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with Ninjas, this 10 minute 'gameplay vid' was obviously a lengthened trailer with some gameplay elements considering it's still a year or so away from release. I also agree the character art still feels off, it was weak in Bioshock and this girl dressed like Dorothy from Wizard of Oz with huge anime eyes looks a tad silly in screenshots, but alright in action. Regardless, the whole video looked really badass as an early showing of the game's setting, gameplay, story and characters...looking forward to seeing how on rails it really is and how well the whole game mimicks this small snippet!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Since when did art direction determine if something is serious or not? It's the story and the dialogue that matters in that regard, if you can present a story that has people look beyond a seemingly "goofy" art direction, you've done well.
    And I have faith in Irrational, as for the demo, even if it was 90% scripted, I liked what I saw.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I could give my opinion on the graphics, but the massive amounts of bloom were in the way and I couldn't see a thing. I wish I could give my opinion on the gameplay, but the massive amounts of scripting were in the way and I couldn't see a thing there either.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Ninjas, some good points, but some of those criticisms are off the wall.

"Irrational can't draw commentary on american xenophobia BECAUSE THE PLAYER CHARACTER IS WHITE"

You're seriously reaching, at that point.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Stephen Russell!!! oh boy. I just hope he's on Thief IV.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I think that the "gameplay" looked INCREDIBLY scripted at points, like when they're fighting that boss on the bridge theres a part where he just stands there WAITING for them to kill him, what the hell? and when the player climbs on that rail... I don't know, i'll wait till REAL gameplay and/or a walk-through comes out to get excited.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    2 things
    lol@ the incredibly obviously pre-scripted/probably pre rendered "gameplay" video
    and also i'm fairly interested, mostly because I hope this can at least kind of capture some of the charm bioshock 1 had. Though obviously we already know it's not going to be as deep as system shock, but that's just something we have to come to terms with.
    I guess.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    I am just as excited to explore the world of Columbia as I was when they first showed off Bioshock.

I am also, and I plan on purchasing the special edition like I have for the other 2 in the past! :)
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I adored the first 2, and I really dig the new setting for infinite, but that's about where it stops. I don't want annoying AI partners, Ninjas was right as far as the character art goes once again. I don't want a player character with extensive voice work. Everyone with half a brain knows xenophobia sucks but I also don't want a game that takes an obviously biased american political stance, I don't need a thick wad of propaganda in my games.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16