Home Technical Talk

A new modeling tool released

Replies

• polyxo
    Hi Istonia,
    as the Bridge-Tool is discussed currenty... is there a chance that you can hook it up to work from Polygon-Mode too? That's the Mode one is most likely in when the need to Bridge between faces comes up. Now one has to delete faces and to switch to Edge-Mode to get this done. I found a lot more convenient if the Command worked from a Face-Selection too.

Greetings!
  • philem
    IStonia wrote: »
    philem: If any combining between mesh objects failed, it means a bug. Can you check in the object list view after combining, Misc Tools > Object List, or just look into the 'Scene Explorer' dockable panel, to see the result. If you can recreate the bug, please let me know the steps so I can fix it.
    Btw, are you buiding a harbour bridge or even an ocean bridge?

LOL just practicing bridging (see pic) the way I learn is to flog a specific action to death:poly124: that way it sinks in, I have found that in general a lot of instructors are lacking in the way they teach, they say lets do this or do that but never really explain why its done, or what happens if it doesn't work.
    I personally cannot learn polly fashion.

I tries to recreate the problem but it all worked ok, I managed to bridge the primitive I had the problem with but it worked and I managed to bridge another primitive as well, so it has me stumped.
    Will move onto smoothing next..

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/pipp44/BridgingTrials.jpg

I do agree with Polyxo a bridging action with faces would be an advantage
  • ghib
    Thanks iStonia. New chamfer rules.
    I have question. I want to align box B to box A so they stick at corners- image. Is there way to do this when walls are separate objects? Right now It seem wall B snaps by it's pivot point. But if I move B pivot point then symmtery of B is messed up.

Jose, this is actually the exact reason I called for a temporary pivot function in Voidworld; that works completely independently from the object's main pivot/symmetry line. It's just screaming out for it.

Istonia: I just tested quickly your latest. A bit of feedback on the changes.
    • Chamfer with Symmetry doesn't work.
      Cham_symm.jpg
    • Would be useful if the Chamfer operation stayed live until exit. All geometry would update for realtime feedback when options are changed in the chamer dialogue box.
    • Deletion options - separate from the Deletion function. I find myself using the same deletion options again and again; so having to hit enter everytime to kill the delete options box is quite tiresome. Different apps do this in different ways. Some are more streamlined than others so maybe needs a bit of discussion.

• * Edit > Cutomize Tools > Snapping Options > Align Selection To Under Cursor Object...
      I don't feel that this is necessary. Why not just add an additional 'Mesh Pivot' to the Snapping List?
    • * One new streamline tool 'Snap Selection'. It can be used to snap the current selection to a highlighted snapping point. The manipulator's position and orientation affect the snapping result as they are used as the selection origin and space.
      Again I don't feel this tool is necessary. You can get the exact same result by making your selection > turning on snapping > hold CTRL for Tweak function and click on target. It seems like an unnecessary duplication of function that Voidworld doesn't need.

These last two comments are really because I think Voidworld needs to remain as pure and simple as possible.
  • ghib
    VisualAlign.jpg

I have had an idea kicking around for a while now; It concerns aligning a pivot to existing geometry/grid/coordinates in the most visual way possible. In Voidworld we have the ability to place the Position in exact locations (Snap to Grid Points, Grid Line, Vertex etc.. I have found myself wanting the ability to be able to use these Snap Points to align an object or pivot or workplane etc. The existing Transform List & Workplane lists are fantastic so I'm not saying to get rid of those at all.

I have made a few illustrations that might help visualise what I'm on about.

VisualAlign_small.jpg
    http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/mikemort/VoidWorld/VisualAlign_A.jpg
    http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/mikemort/VoidWorld/VisualAlign_B.jpg
    http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/mikemort/VoidWorld/VisualAlign_C.jpg

My initial thoughts for this tool:
    • Addition to Streamline Engine for performing accurate alignments.
    • Realtime update
    • Works with existing snap tools
    • Needs to contain as much visual feedback as possible.
    • It is a Universal tool and needs to work consistently to align things like;
    ○ Workplane
    ○ Object Pivots
    ○ Subobjects
    ○ Symmetry Plane

I think this tool could be expanded upon to include more complex selections.

I'd be interested to see what others think of this, whether it's a good idea or not and if it is how it could be improved. I'm finding myself quite often wanting to align the workplane or the symmetry plane and find it frustrating that something as 'simple' as this doesn't exist already.
  • JoseConseco
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    ghib wrote: »
    Jose, this is actually the exact reason I called for a temporary pivot function in Voidworld; that works completely independently from the object's main pivot/symmetry line. It's just screaming out for it.
    Maybe it should work with manual pivot? No need to inroduce another one imo.
    • * Edit > Cutomize Tools > Snapping Options > Align Selection To Under Cursor Object...
      I don't feel that this is necessary. Why not just add an additional 'Mesh Pivot' to the Snapping List?
    • * One new streamline tool 'Snap Selection'. It can be used to snap the current selection to a highlighted snapping point. The manipulator's position and orientation affect the snapping result as they are used as the selection origin and space.
    +1 for those

One more thing - not sure is it bug:
    - when I have plane 'loop insert 1' or 'loop insert +' won't work, on edge ring selection. Works on box ok.
    - alse when I have few objects on top of each other, selection of desired object is hard. I would like to cycle element selection, when there are few object 'under cursor'. So eg. when I have 3 objects, clicking would select first 1, then 2 and finally 3rd, and then again 1,2,3. I hope it is clear. Or mabye right click would have list of objects that are under cursor, so I could choose one there from list.
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    ugh why do i have to navigate to microsoft website and install some latest .net framework that none of my other apps need

hassle
  • ghib
    Maybe it should work with manual pivot? No need to inroduce another one imo.

The problem with the Manual set at the moment is that the pivot doesn't move with your translations (actually that's quite useful in certain instances) but a lot of the time you don't want that kind of behaviour. If we had a streamline-type temporary pivot tool like there is in Softimage I'd be a happy camper.

RickD - don't bother then if it's too much of a hassle. You lose :p
  • IStonia
    Thanks for the new suggestions! Guys.

new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jun-23-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * The 'Hide' command is improved. If there is no selection, it will perform unhide instead.
    * Modify > Common Tools > Move By Last Measurement. JoseConseco, in your case, select wall B, open 'Measure' tool in object mode, make sure its 'Measure between snapping points' option is on, turn on vertex snapping, click the corner vertex of wall B then click the corner vertex of wall A, finally execute this move command. If you click the vertices in the wrong order, wall B will move in opposite direction.
    * Four more basice streamline tools, 'Differential_Snap'.... 'Differential_Snap' by default is assigned to 'Snap Selection' tool's MMB. JoseConseco, you can also use this tool to do the same thing.
    * Modify > Edge Commands > Spin.
    * Modify > Common Commands > Relax.
    * Inset feature is added into edge extrude tool. It allows you to create zero extrusion and scale it. Available in both visual tool and streamline tool.
    * New basic streamline tool 'Local Scale Selection'.
    * Object group feature is added into 'Scene Explorer'. An object can belong to multiple groups.
    * The symmetry related bug in edge chamfer tool is fixed.
    * Three more streamline tools, "Set Manipulator", "Object/Mesh Pivot" and "Object Pivot".
    Thanks!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    nice update i like now that there is a streamline tool for the object/mesh pivot since i don't use the visual tools at all.

though i got a suggestion for some new selection types.
    in silo you could do things like select faces with =, !=, <, > sides, which i use quite often with the "sides != 4" statemeant to select all ngons and tris.

i find it most useful for faces but you could extend it to do the same with edges attached to verts, and faces attached to edges.
  • ghib
    Cheers Istonia.

My first impression feedback:
    • Set Manipulator - It would be preferrable if the Pivot Position & Orientation reverted back to the previous setting and did not remain on Manual; as soon as either W,E,R has been deactivated. i.e. Q has been pressed or the object has been dropped etc. The Set Manipulator should be as temporary as possible but that it can be used quickly (on the fly) as we model. Having to go back into the Orientation and Pivot Position drop down each and every time it is used will get tiresome.
    • There seems to be a problem with the pivot aligning correctly to geometry e.g create a cube with some random edges and move them arbitrarily, then use Set Manip > RMB snap to an edge. You can see that it isn't aligned properly along the edge. In fact if you switch between object mesh pivot and Set Manipulator the alignment is totally random.
    *EDIT*
    BUG
    Resymmetry - Unselected vertices move
    1. After symmetry select some vertices (not all) on one symmetry side
    2. Activate Resymmetry
    3. Notice that all vertices move
    Expected result
    Only vertices on opposite side of symmetry line to Selected Vertices should move.
    *EDIT*

Other than that. great stuff with the update.
    p.s. just been playing with the differential snap and it's really clever, cheers.

oh +1 on the selection types passerby mentioned.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    ooo i thought i was the only one that would find those type of selections usefull.
  • mald
  • mald
    Hi IStonia.

Sorry, the previous image posted refers to JoseConseco's comment about having difficulty selcting objects. This is part of a truck model. The green areas are areas where the object directlr under the cursor is selected when clicked on. However, the red areas if clicked on all cause selection of the large fuel tank. Hope this is easily fixed.

Continue to enjoy using the program. Thanks for including the filleting tool as suggested.

Cheers
    Mal
  • IStonia
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jun-24-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * some orientation snap bugs are fixed.
    * Modify > Common Comnands > Delete(Options)
    * After using the streamline 'Set Manipulator' tool, if Q key is pressed or selection is cleared, the Pivot Position & Orientation will revert back to the previous setting.
    * Resymmetry behaviour improved.
    * Object and mesh point selection now acts in cycling way if multiple objects are under cursor.

Thanks!

JoseConseco: I can't see any problem with the 'Loop Insert' tool on plane object. Can you tell me the exact steps?

Mald: I can't reproduce the selection problem you mentioned. Please test the new update and see if you can ever select the bracket by clicking the red area.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    is there a way to edit multiple uv's at once, i find it seems kinda odd that i can edit subcomponets of multiple objects at once but once i hit U to get the UV editor it just only working on the first thing selected.
  • IStonia
    passerby: currently you can't. sorry!
  • ghib
    Nice changes Istonia.

my feedback:
    • Resymmetry - symmetry line should not move. see gif below for explanation.
      VW_Resym.gif
    • Set Manipulator - doesn't always revert back to original Pivot Position & Orientation. (will post further results if I can pin down why)

*Suggestion*
    • Set Manipulator - LMB clicking on snap target will move the manipulator to that position only. It would actually be most ideal if snapping turned on & off automatically for the Set Manipulator procedure. If snapping was on already beforehand then just leave it on.

cheers
  • mald
    IStonia

Thanks for the update. I can now select the objects under the red area - sometimes with one click and in other cases after cycling through a number of objects with multiple clicks.

Great work!!

Cheers
    Mal
  • philem
    Guys,

2 Questions,

1/ I am going to model a spaceship from a reference image that I originally did in Hexagon,
    Is there an option to reduce the viewports from either 1 or 4 views to 2 views ( top and front for example) ?

2/ In my current project I bridged a 1/2 sphere to the entity I am building up, to use the bridge command I have to create a hole, now in the front of the 1/2 sphere the hole shows, how do I close the hole back up ?

3/ (ok, I lied lol) I wanted to create a radar type of disk,
    I created a sphere.
    deleted 1/2 of it
    I then wanted to add thickness (I don't know if there is a thickness command, I couldn't find one)

So I duplicated it and scaled the copy down a little so I had 1/2 spheres ( 1 inside the other) with me so far ? :poly136:

how would I go about connecting the 2 outside rings of the 1/2 spheres to give the impression of one unit?

Thanks in advance.
  • ghib
    philem:
    • +1 on being able to customize your views.
    • There is a shell command but it's kind of hidden in the mesh subobject visual tool panel. It would make sense to also include it in the polygon/object panels too I think.
    • If you want to go the route of bridging your duplicated geometry to the original you can do it by using the extended bridge functions (MMB or RMB) on the bridge streamline tool. goto edge mode > hold d > MMB an edge > MMB on corresponding edge. It should fill in the rest if you have even number of edges in your shells.
    here's a gif
    Shell.gif

If you press and hold D in edge mode the drop down tool tip will give you info.
  • IStonia
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jun-26-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * 'Resymmetry' behaviour improved again.
    * 'Set Manipulator' streamline tool is improved. LMB snap position only. Auto snapping On/Off.
    * Three more snapping options 'Object'/'Mesh'/'Plane'. If you have run VW2.4 in your machine before, the toolbar buttons for these options won't be visible due to memory in file. There are 2 ways to bring them out
    1.Click the snapping toolbar config arrow button then 'Add or Remove Buttons' > 'Snapping Bar' > 'Reset Toolbar'.
    2. View > Toobars > Reset.
    * Modify > Polygon Commands > Bridge.

Thanks!

philem: When four vieports all visible, move cursor to the spot between the viewport, left click and drag to the side and you will have two large viewports. To reset, right click at the same spot.
    You can use the bridge tool you used before to fill the gap between the 2 half shperes. The two borders are holes in fact.
  • ghib
    *feedback*
    • Resymmetry - Centre Line still moves. I feel that the symmetry centreline should be fixed in position (unless the user wants to place it) I made a gif to show what I mean.
      resymm_centremove.gif

• The Set Manipulator RMB function doesn't always align properly to the geometry selected. Does it take geometry normals into consideration or something. This happens with vertex,edges,faces.
      SetManip_misaligned.jpg
    • The Polygon Bridge command doesn't work if you go right through the Symmetry plane.
    • Perpendicular to Workplane doesn't always align the viewport to be 90degrees. z&y axes? Y pointing up z to the left?
    • 1 more thing, I cannot find anywhere in the hotkey editor an item to toggle the main World Grid.
    • *edit* BUG
      Streamline Rotate RMB - Axis rotate
      Seems to do the same thing as LMB - Tweak Rotate

The other Changes to the Set Manipulator, autosnapping works really well.

p.s. what does the Plane snapping refer to? ok I understand now. It snaps to an arbitrary position on the workplane.

cheers
  • ghib
    Istonia - Not sure if you'll go for the Visual Align tool but I thought I'd illustrate a use for it. Obviously this is as simple as it gets but with more complex geometry it could be very useful. The 3rd stage could be used to align to pretty much any snap item.

VisualAlign_B_merge.jpg
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Hmmm Level design...hmmm... must agree :thumbup:
  • philem
    Hey Guys,
    I am having a bit of a problem using a ref image to do some modeling.
    I reduced the viewports to 2 so I could have a left view and a right view, the trouble is you can only use the BG Image in Orthographic view, which is a bit of a hassle because I then need to extrude a face that I cannot see and cannot rotate the view because I am in Orthographic view.
    So I tried to use the image as a texture on a plane and that didn't work either.
    I tried looking for tutorials for Voidworld, and found some on Youtube and I did find a texturing one but it seems for an earlier version

Am I right in assuming that the texture / material option is not working yet?

Sorry for these inane questions I am trying to learn this programme and some answers are not readily available .
    As always any help is greatly appreciated
  • ghib
    hi philem, you should be able to assign a .tga or .jpg etc to a Material.

To set up material for image plane:
    • Open your Scene Explorer
    • in the Material section click Add
    • change Emmissive to white
    • click 'Change' and browse to your texture file.
    • Select your Grid & click Assign to Object -->
    • make sure 'Show Texture' icon is active.
    • Do the same for each Ref image.

To make your model transparent:
    You can do 2 things.
    • Select Model
    • On top bar click 'Transparent Mesh' icon
    • also click 'Cull Backfaces' icon
    • lower the Diffuse alpha of the model's Material.

This way you have reference images in your Perspective viewport & Orthographic views.

BTW did you know that while navigating with Alt you can press Shift and it will snap to the nearest orthographic view automatically. To get back to Perspective just press Alt LMB Shift again (in that order) It's a bit fiddly but you get used to it.
  • philem
    hi philem, you should be able to assign a .tga or .jpg etc to a Material.

To set up material for image plane:
    • Open your Scene Explorer
    • in the Material section click Add
    • change Emmissive to white
    • click 'Change' and browse to your texture file.
    • Select your Grid & click Assign to Object -->
    • make sure 'Show Texture' icon is active.
    • Do the same for each Ref image.

To make your model transparent:
    You can do 2 things.
    • Select Model
    • On top bar click 'Transparent Mesh' icon
    • also click 'Cull Backfaces' icon
    • lower the Diffuse alpha of the model's Material.

This way you have reference images in your Perspective viewport & Orthographic views.

BTW did you know that while navigating with Alt you can press Shift and it will snap to the nearest orthographic view automatically. To get back to Perspective just press Alt LMB Shift again (in that order) It's a bit fiddly but you get used to it.

Brilliant

thanks ghib it worked perfectly, was exactly what I was after, everything you suggested has worked , but the navigation will get better with use :)

Hopefully there wont be to many more noobie questions
  • mald
    philem

I can confirm what ghib says about reference images on planes. I am currently modelling a truck using top, left and front .jpg images mapped onto planes. All I did was create the plane, go to the material section of the Scene Explorer(with the plane still selected) and click on the Change button in the Texture section. I browsed to and loaded the file and the image appeared on the plane. You can change the transparency of the image using the alpha slider in the material section. As ghib noted the image only appears in textured mode in viewport e.g. if you set wireframe the image disappears.

Cheers
    Mal
  • mald
    Sorry philem.

I see you already got the info.

Regards
    Mal
  • philem
    I have a couple of suggestions (but they may already be implemented if they are I apologize, I haven't found them yet)

I am going to attempt to model a spaceship from a tutorial I originally did in Hexagon (hence the previous post:))

I need to set up 2 ref images, a front and top.
    then its a matter of box modelling to get the job done, I have found when using 2 view ports as views the box is face on, I need to extrude sideways, but the problem is that the side polygon can't be seen which makes extruding sideways almost impossible because as soon as the selection rectangle hits the top polygon, that face becomes "live" and not the one on the side which is where I want to go.

My first suggestion is:

Polygons, Edges, and Vertices not become active until completely enclosed in the selection method

Select Polygon from the Visual Tools palette as normal
    Then select the selection method
    when the selection method touches the box the Polygon that is under the selection becomes "live" and can be extruded or what ever action is wanted because the selection "Enclosed" that Polygon.
    In other words a polygon, edge, or vertices does not become "live" until it is completely enclosed in the selection method.

My second suggestion is"

Some form of Transparent selection that allows you select ALL Polys, Edges, or Vertices with whatever selection method you choose.
    an Example

You create a Sphere but you want 1/2 of it;
    You select the particular or dedicated transparent method
    Choose whatever selection method ie: rectangle
    and select 1/2 the Sphere
    The selection picks everything under the rectangle and when you hit delete you are left with 1/2 a sphere.
    At the moment I am highlighting the poly's that I see and deleting them, then rotating the object around until basically the poly's that I want to delete are facing me then carrying on.

Thanks
  • ghib
    philem don't worry about feeling like a noob. I still have loads of questions about Voidworld and we're all here to learn :)

I think I can answer both your questions if I understand them correctly.
    1. I think this is what you need.
      Window_Crossing.jpg
    2. If you middle click outside the model and drag a rectangle Marquee it selects through. Also you can use a lasso if you hold down 'q' and drag. Same method still applies of LMB = visible geometry, RMB = select through .

hope this helps :)

p.s. just had another thought on your 2nd question.
    If you have symmetry activated you can also use 'Selections > Grow Selection Within Symmetry Side. genius Istonia.
  • philem
    philem don't worry about feeling like a noob. I still have loads of questions about Voidworld and we're all here to learn :)

I think I can answer both your questions if I understand them correctly.
    1. I think this is what you need.
      Window_Crossing.jpg
    2. If you middle click outside the model and drag a rectangle Marquee it selects through. Also you can use a lasso if you hold down 'q' and drag. Same method still applies of LMB = visible geometry, RMB = select through .

hope this helps :)

p.s. just had another thought on your 2nd question.
    If you have symmetry activated you can also use 'Selections > Grow Selection Within Symmetry Side. genius Istonia.

Thanks ghib for the noob encouragement:)

1 and 2 worked perfectly, using the MMB did what I wanted, so now I can start modeling that spaceship.

I couldn't find the symmetry tool so haven't tried your last suggestion yet, will look for it again later, I found the resymmetry tool (don't know what that is yet) but not Symmetry.. Will need that for the spaceship model,

Thanks again
  • IStonia
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jun-28-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * Resymmetry improved again.
    * Polygon Bridge tool improved.
    * Snap to edge orientation improved.
    * The viewport 'Perpendicular To Workplane' command improved.
    It will align the view camera's direction to the workplane's normal if workplane is visible, and set the viewport's 'fixed-up-vector' to workplane's normal as well to provide convinient view navigation around workplane.
    Viewport's 'fixed-up-vector 'by default is the world's Y axis. To reset viewport's 'fixed-up-vector' to its default, choose menu 'View > Reset Camera Up-Vector'
    * 'End' Key > 'Viewport Context Menu > Toggle Grid Visibility' to open hotkey editor.
    * One more streamline tool 'Rotate Snap Selection'. ghib, you can taste the first blood.
    * View > Windows > Math Selection Window.
    Thanks!

ghib: the 'Snap to Plane' refers to either world zX plane or workplane. Regarding the 'Streamline Rotate' tool, 'Axis Rotate' won't change manipulator's orientation while 'Tweak Rotate' will align the manipulator to viewplane.

philem: The symmetry tool is used in the truck tutorial.
  • ghib
    ghib: Regarding the 'Streamline Rotate' tool, 'Axis Rotate' won't change manipulator's orientation while 'Tweak Rotate' will align the manipulator to viewplane.

Thanks Istonia. Bizarre. At home the 'Axis Rotate' behaviour works exactly the same as 'Tweak Rotate' but here at work it behaves just as you describe. I might need to check or reinstall my keyboard shortcuts at home as it seems to have become corrupt.

Will test your current changes soon.
    * One more streamline tool 'Rotate Snap Selection'. ghib, you can taste the first blood.
    Oh man, can't wait to give this a shot. Thanks for pursuing this.

*edit1* ok really quick 1st pass on this.
    it works brilliantly, however I wonder if we can free up the mouse buttons for other things though.
    My thought is.. to click on the back side of the axis to flip it. This will give us the exact same result as if we'd used MMB. like this..
    Rotate_Snap_inverse.jpg
    This way we have MMB & RMB free for other commands. I have a couple more ideas for the Rotation Snap tool that I'll post later.

*edit2* ok 1st one being.. MMB = Rotation Snap Pivot only. To work in tandem with Set Manipulator. If Object Pivot is being manipulated then it should affect the main pivot and not the temporary Set Manipulator.

*edit3* Feature Request. Set Manipulator - If Orientation & Pivot Position = Manual, then Translations & Rotations can't be snapped. Also The pivot position & orientation does NOT update with the edits you make. I feel that they SHOULD. I can see instances where keeping the orientation & Position fixed would be useful but I would use your Transform List for that. Either that or make it a toggle.
    thanks
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks the math selection works exactly how i want.

is it possible to bind keys are use the marking menu to show and hide windows.
  • JoseConseco
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Thanks for update iStonia.
    I have to bugs on my pc:
    - also ->View->Windows -> dosen't work for me (can't hide/show window docks)
    Thanks again for updates!
  • philem
    Thanks for the update,
    the new Bridge tool works a treat :)

Would love the option of having a Universal Manipulator, I know some people don't like it, but I thought the option to toggle it on or off would be a nice addition,

I have committed to memory the W, E, R, keys for the manipulations, but would like the option to have them all readily available.
    Just a thought.

Hi Mald, Followed your setup and have my images mapped to the planes, have only 2 view ports, and have started my modeling.
  • IStonia
    ghib: Can you explain you *Edit3* visually as I am too slow to understand any of it.
  • ghib
    Istonia - damn sorry, I wrote that last part in a complete rush and you can tell. I can hardly understand it :)

*edit3* relates to the behaviour of Orientation & Pivot Position being set to Manual and not being able to use snap points. It is an error and makes Set Manipulator & Rotational Snap somewhat redundant. The main points are:
    • Snapping does not work with either Translations or Rotations
    • Pivot Position does not move
    • Rotation Gizmo does not move

To reproduce try this:
    1. create grid
    2. goto vertex mode > select all vertices
    3. Use Set Manipulator to snap the pivot to a vertex
    4. turn on Grid Point snapping and try to snap your selected vertices to a Grid Point. Notice it doesn't work.

I stress, this only happens when set to Manual.

The ideas behind 'Set Manipulator' & 'Rotation Snap' are that you can better control the placement & orientation of a 'Working Pivot' regardless of your current selection. This is important from a mechanical/level design perspective and will really help Voidworld with hardsurface modelling.

There are a few more modes that need to be worked into the Visual Align tool but I'm trying to work out how best to implement it right now. I'm just running with this right now with my own ideas as others haven't chipped in, but it's definitely worth exploring different options.

If I get time to make a vid tonight I will.
  • philem
    philem: The symmetry tool is used in the truck tutorial.

Hi Istonia, thanks for this bit of info, I am having a bit of a hiccup with this,
    I looked at the truck tutorial, it seems that the way to activate the symmetry is to hit CTRL Q, is that right ?

I created a cube with 4x4 poly's and then played about with all the options, but I found that if I do an action on a poly and I have the X Axis enabled it follows on the other corresponding poly (like it should) but if I then change the Symmetry Axis to say Z for example the red Symmetry square comes in as I assume it should, hit CTRl Q to enable the Symmetry command but whatever I have previously done to the poly's gets duplicated on the Z Axis.

Is this right ?
    Is it possible to enable the Symmetry tool without the above happening, but it just becomes active so I can work on the other poly's or edges etc,

I hope this makes sense?
  • IStonia
    Philem: I think this is what you need, Edit > Options > Shortcut Symmetry Options > Symmetry Enabled. There is also a coresponding toolbar button for this.
  • ghib
    2 small *BUGS* I noticed:
    1. Tweak subobject & Undo = breaks pre-selection highlighting for that subobject. Actually selecting that subobject will reset it and pre-selection highlighting will work again.
      VW_tweakundo.gif

2. Ring (key H) will not work if mesh is in subd mode. But select loop does. Expect both to work consistently.
      Ring_H_select.jpg
  • IStonia
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-jun-30-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * Radial Menu > Views > Math Selection Window... Also can hot key binding.
    * Universal Manipulator is added.
    * Selection Rotation Snap streamline tool is improved. To reverse align, click the negative axis. MMB is used to snap rotate manipulator instead of selection.
    * MMB is used for rotation snap in both Set Manipulator and Object Pivot streamline tool.
    * Edit > Options > Manipulator goes with Selection in Manaul Mode.
    * The two bugs reported by ghib are fixed.
    Thanks!
  • ghib
    Istonia changes work really well now. I'll give it some further testing later.

I have 1 small quibble.
    * MMB is used for rotation snap in both Set Manipulator and Object Pivot streamline tool.
    I actually preferred the way you had Set Manipulator before the change. Being able to set the Pivot position on LMB & orientation on MMB worked really well. No point in duplicating functions across streamline tools I think.

Other than that these two tools are a great addition to the VW arsenal.
    Job well done.
  • philem
    Philem: I think this is what you need, Edit > Options > Shortcut Symmetry Options > Symmetry Enabled. There is also a coresponding toolbar button for this.

Fist off, thank you for the universal manipulator in the latest update, makes my modeling a bit quicker.

I looked at the Symmetry option again, and it still doesn't do what I was expecting either that or I am not getting it yet.
    I can use the Symmetry on one axis only, but once I change to another axis it basically is duplicating my previous work on the new Symmetry axis (it basically is acting as the mirror tool)
    Will just work around it for the time being.

But
    thanks again for all the help and the updates.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I didn't know adding an universal manipulator was "that" easy (it looks easy from there ahah), I would've asked earlier (I loved silo for that, it's a pitty that no "serious apps" have it)!
    Thanks it's now 1 key instead of 3 :)
  • IStonia
    philem: I may not exactly understand what is the problem you encountered. But if you disable the symmetry option, new geometry won't be duplicated on the other side. How did you change the symmetry axis? And why do you change the symmetry axis?
    Each time you press Ctrl + Q, the symmetry operation will be executed and the object will be mirrored.

BeatKitano: When philem asked for the universal manipulator the first time, I had no idea how to do it. It took one full day to implement though.

Every one: There is a new VW user who tried to join in this thread but has encountered some problems that he can login but can't create post. I hope some one may know the way out.
    Here is the problem message
    ---
    First Thank you very much for the reply, and the helpful information! Next, I'm not sure if you can do anything about it or not, but the Forums on PolyCount, will NOT let me post ??!!?? Every time I login, I use a browser plugin called LastPass, which autologs me into sites that I visit with my username and password automatically, as long as I use my masterpassword once a day.. but I am running into issues on the PolyCount site, as when I login, I get this message that says:
    You have chosen not to accept the forum rules, so registration cannot continue.
    Click here to return to the main forums page, or click the 'Back' button on your browser if you now want to agree with the forum rules.
    and I try to click back, and I get no rules or anything that I need to accept, and I'm confused, because I am logged into the site, but can't post anything... Everytime I try, I get a message asking me to log into the site... ?? but I am logged into the site, I even see my username, and can go into my control panel and edit options etc...
    I don't know who to talk to about this on those forums, I hit the contact us link, and filled out the information and submitted it, but haven't received any kind of response from anyone...
    ---
  • philem
    philem: I may not exactly understand what is the problem you encountered. But if you disable the symmetry option, new geometry won't be duplicated on the other side. How did you change the symmetry axis? And why do you change the symmetry axis?
    Each time you press Ctrl + Q, the symmetry operation will be executed and the object will be mirrored.

IStonia,
    Its possible I stumbled on this by accident while I was wondering around the programme trying to learn it.

Reading your reply it also may be possible that changing the Symmetry axis not be needed (but don't know for sure yet)
    All I did to change the axis was to go to
    Edit - Options - Shortcut Symmetry Options : - Then picked one of the axis, clicked CTRL Q - that locked in that specific axis.

But as I mentioned it mirrors what was done.

I started with Hexagon, and you click on a Symmetry axis you want, and you get a green axis box, and you can work away, when you then click on another Symmetry axis the Symmetry box changes and you can then work in that axis, but it doesn't mirror what was done.
    Its not a biggie, will just have to plan the modeling ahead so that swapping the Symmetry axis doesn't happen.

: Just another question, on occasions when I scroll wheel to zoom in closer, the image disappears and I have to back out to a safe distance :) to see all of my model, is this a bug or just a graphics issue?
  • ghib
    Philem, I'm also a bit confused as to why you would want to have symmetry turned on but not work on a symmetrical mesh. Could you maybe post a vid showing how Hexagon symmetry works or screencaptures. They really help.

cheers.
  • IStonia
    philem: Regarding the object disappearing issue, it is something to do with the clipping planes. There is a far-clipping-plane and also a near-clipping plane. You can't see them, only objects between them are visible. The camera focusing point lies between the two planes. You can adjust camera focusing point through the 'Set Veiw Focusing Point' command, Ctrl+Shift+Alt+RMB, the camera focusing point will be set to the object surface just right under cursor. This way you can make objects arround that point better visible.