Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Buck

Replies

• re.wind
    Also try joining the gap under the barrels, not just for 3, but for all of them.
  • Buck
    Here is a hybrid of all of them, i think it looks best. Probably going for side cut off version, just need to play about with it so it looks like its been ripped off in explosion or something rather than being cut in a straight line.

prieview19.jpg
  • Buck
    For the theme i was going to go for defensive items as in playstyle for defensive heavies but i think its waaaaay too broad, going for war torn items theme instead, more aesthetic theme.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Looks excessive, I like it.

I think I prefer it without, I like to see all the bits. I think having a double barrelled minigun with a shield is like having your cake eating yours and everyone elses.
  • Fragus
    The full shield looks better, but if you do a damage-blown up hole on the first one, it will be perfect!
    lHNb0.jpg
  • Buck
    Lol fragus, same thing like last time, you photoshop something im already working on.
    prieview21.jpg
  • Fragus
    I guess we're in the right place! :)
  • Simski
  • Clusternate
    Do u have any Stats for this Weapon?
  • Fragus
    Do u have any Stats for this Weapon?
    Stats aren't necessary!
  • Buck
    There were couple of good ideas:
    healer (medic or all engineers buildings if healed by dispenser) have 10% or so damage resistance
    -50% total ammo
    Wider spread

Other suggestion was
    30% explosion and/or bullet damage resistance while crouching
    10% fire vulnerability even when standing

And other good one was reduced or taken away knockback while equipped.

Fragus wrote: »
    Stats aren't necessary!
    Exactly, still fun to think up of suggestions :)
  • Ruskeydoo
    How about the player takes 10% less damage from the front and say 20% more damage from the back?
  • Clusternate
    Why should he take more damage from the Back?

How about:

Taking 10 % less Damage while standing
    Taking 20 % less Damage and Knockback while crouching
    50 % more Ammunition

30 % less Damage done
    10 % slower Movement Speed
  • HerreH
    Hey, just made an account to reply on this cuz it's a frikkin' sweet idea :) My main class is Heavy and the idea, the looks, and the stats all add up really good. I especially like the crouching idea :P When you see a grenade or rocket incoming, you normally move away, but now you just crouch real quick to reduce damage.
    Keep it up mate! I hope you win:thumbup:
  • Sileya
    Heres a couple of suggestions :

- Multiple barrels might suggest A faster firing speed, or weaker bullets.

- Keep the cracked shield and add Bullet dents in it. This'l suggest that its strong against Bullets but weaker against explosives

- Make sure the shield is attached to the gun, and doesnt "float" randomly.
    Attach it with some Duct tape or something else thats TF2-ish

If you put in the cracked shields & bullet dents, maybe use some of these stats :

+ X % Bullet resistance
    + X % faster firing speed
    + X % Knockback resistance
    Bullet richocheting(sp?) ???

+ X % Explosive damage
    Larger Spread
    Slower movement

• Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    that last update looks mighty cool, i have to admit !
    wasn't sure or feeling it on page1 but that developed into something totally promising :)
  • Thrillho
    The gun's looking great so far! One suggestion; about the name, all of the Heavy's other guns have female Russian names... have you considered naming it that way? I could see this gun being an 'Oxana' or a 'Tatyana' or something like that, perhaps with an adjective to spice it up, like 'Mighty Oxana' or 'Terrible Tatyana'... I actually googled up a quick list of Russian woman's names, maybe they might inspire you.

http://www.womenrussia.com/rusnames.htm
  • Buck
    Swetlana wooo. Name is really the last thing i'm concerned about at the moment, Turns out it might be impossible to animate the second barrel because barrel animation is coded into the game. Maybe tf2 team would add the needed code for it if it got anywhere. But it wouldnt work as a skin so good.
  • Thrillho
    Buck wrote: »
    Swetlana wooo. Name is really the last thing i'm concerned about at the moment,

No worries, dude... Just something to ponder in your spare moments. :-)
  • Buck
    Progressing nicely so far, got more than half of it UV mapped, hopefully i might have a basic texture version for tomorrow.
  • Itty Bitty Kitty
  • Edspear
    Hello, first time on this forum so be kind, but I absolutely love how the weapon is coming along. I had ideas regarding the other two weapons. Just some ideas that fit in with this armored theme you are working with.

Stun Punches- A pair of gauntlets with some heavy-looking metal plates bolted to the front, (hell maybe the words "Ka-Pow" etched into them. Basically a melee version of the Scout's Sandman, and acts to stun enemies with a reduced damaged punch, and a critical would stun the target for a longer period of time.

A Burley Blunderbuss- A replacement for the shotgun, yes not a consumable item. Why I suggest this is because I feel that a consumable item like a sandvich or chocolate bar or other piece of food wouldn't fit with this militaristic style you're aiming for. As far as aesthetics go, I was thinking it would be a larger barrel, heavier looking, and since you've already incorporated battle damage into the shield on your mini-gun, maybe the barrel of the shotgun would be cartoonish exploded.
    See this image for an example.early-with-shotgun.jpg
  • Fragus
    Progressing nicely so far, got more than half of it UV mapped, hopefully i might have a basic texture version for tomorrow.
    UV mapping is such a boring/frustrating experience! Just sayin' :poly122:
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i like 3 cause it mimics the shape of the heavys body.
  • Ikimono
    Only thing that I'm worried about with this model is the fact the Minigun's joints only have the ability to have 1 spinning "barrel"

You're going to need to make a new rig so that it can have 2 spinning barrels...probably
  • Ikimono
    Going further* You may want to make a version that only has 1 barrel so in case you cant get the rig or w/e You have a version that you can submit and would work just fine.
  • Buck
    Fragus wrote: »
    UV mapping is such a boring/frustrating experience! Just sayin' :poly122:

Yeah it really is :( Just the frame and some supports left, nothing major should have it done today.

Edspear wrote: »
    Hello, first time on this forum so be kind, but I absolutely love how the weapon is coming along. I had ideas regarding the other two weapons. Just some ideas that fit in with this armored theme you are working with.

Stun Punches- A pair of gauntlets with some heavy-looking metal plates bolted to the front, (hell maybe the words "Ka-Pow" etched into them. Basically a melee version of the Scout's Sandman, and acts to stun enemies with a reduced damaged punch, and a critical would stun the target for a longer period of time.

A Burley Blunderbuss- A replacement for the shotgun, yes not a consumable item. Why I suggest this is because I feel that a consumable item like a sandvich or chocolate bar or other piece of food wouldn't fit with this militaristic style you're aiming for. As far as aesthetics go, I was thinking it would be a larger barrel, heavier looking, and since you've already incorporated battle damage into the shield on your mini-gun, maybe the barrel of the shotgun would be cartoonish exploded.
    See this image for an example.early-with-shotgun.jpg

Thanks for nice ideas, i had something similar to the shotty you suggested in mind :)
  • Simski
    Why should he take more damage from the Back?

How about:

Taking 10 % less Damage while standing
    Taking 20 % less Damage and Knockback while crouching
    50 % more Ammunition

30 % less Damage done
    10 % slower Movement Speed
    I don't like it :3
    Here's another suggestion.

25% less damage received from the front. (the shield only covers the front)
    50% more ammo. (total of 300)
    No Knockback. (it weights a lot)

10% Slower move speed.
    (It weights a lot)
    25% less damage. (75% damage)
    20% more rev time. (Like pre-update)

This will make a very defensive weapon with clear advantages and disadvantages.

The 35% less damage plus 35% more ammo means Heavy's Minigun can kill slightly more enemies than usual before running out of ammo, but takes longer to kill enemies. No Knockback coupled with 25% less damage from the front, means that the Heavy will be better at standing ground while facing the enemy from one direction. Ideal for defense.

However his slower rev time and movement speed makes him less ideal for offensive play. He's more vulnerable to Spies and Snipers due to his movement speed, he's more vulnerable to every class from behind, and he's more vulnerable to Pyro due to the rev time.

(I know we're not focusing on functionality, but I just like coming up with the ideas)
  • Buck
    Would make more sense to have +20%-35% more spread instead of less damage, and less ammo, The model has smaller ammo drum than Sasha.
  • Simski
    Would make more sense to have +20%-35% more spread instead of less damage, and less ammo, The model has smaller ammo drum than Sasha.

Ah alright.

As the minigun barrels semed smaller it made to me less sense that they would be less accurate as they don't cover the same area as a the usual barrel does. I thought it would make sense to be more equally accurate but deal less damage.

I also thought since the gun was very big, it could probably fit more ammo.
    Didn't take your ammo drum into consideration...
  • sutyi

Gameplay wise it makes sense imho, it's intended for defensive purposes hence the shield I guess.
  • Clusternate
    Simski wrote: »
    I don't like it :3
    35% less damage. (75% damage)

LoL^^

100 % minus 35 % are 65 % just to remind u

Sasha = 100 %
    Natasha = 75 %
    Swetlana = 70 %

@Buck

Well the damage reduction (which is logical with this shield) while crouching, makes the Heavy to an moveble Sentry and with this he will need a lil bit more ammo.

Dont forget: The Heavy runs with legs, that are long as his head high is while holding a big fucking Minigun. :D

"Sry for the bad English"
  • sutyi
    It's good day to be giant man! :D

Cant wait to see a textured version. :)
  • eisiger
    The concept and idea for the Iron Curtain is beautiful, and I hope to see it as a coming addition. As for the current draft, the shield seems drastically lower than before. It's good for shielding some shotgun fire, but raising the unbroken corner to shoulder level would be perfect.

As for the attributes, bar everything else suggested, some people on other sites were thinking of making the downside being unable to move. It would be great for hallways, defending/attacking control points or riding on top of a cart, but wouldn't work so well near corners or if you need to go on the fly. To make up for it, bullets hitting the shield will do no damage, and explosives will only deal 40% while deployed. Practically, he'll lose whats left of his mobility for a very scary mobile sentry. He's still vulnerable from the other sides, and his head, but makes for quick area deniable when applicable.
  • Simski
    LoL^^

100 % minus 35 % are 65 % just to remind u

Sasha = 100 %
    Natasha = 75 %
    Swetlana = 70 %
    Lol sorry, I am bad at doing math without a calculator >.>
    I'll fix.

-25% then.
    It does the same damage as Natasha, but has more ammo to make up for it rather than Natasha's slowdown.
    While this weapon would be less efficient at killing than Natasha and Sasha, it would be better at holding off enemies.
  • Fragus
    So Buck...Any progress? I would love to see this beauty textured :)
  • Buck
    Haha fragus, well i got a bit bored unwrapping it and decided to do some concepts for the second item. Got a few ideas for the name, Bear Baiters Bonnet, Bear Wrestlers Helmet and so on.

concepts.jpg
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I'd use the mesh from 1. and put in scratch dents and scraped away paint instead of a missing chunk, paintwork of 3. of course. It's a bear baiter's helmet not a wolverine baiter's helmet, no need to have it stupidly beat up.

I do like it though, kinda reminds me of boba fett's helmet.
  • Simski
    It's cool, but I wonder how it would be affected if Heavy got a misc item for his face.
  • Buck
    I was wondering same thing, i could just use bodygroups wisely and make it so it only flips down when you have your fists out or whatever. YouMe youre right, its too beat up atm, and its much too clean cut to make on metal, but its actually harder to draw realistic rips than it is to model them.
  • dickless
    Not sure about the large gap bottom left on helmets 2 and 3, but I'd definatly go for the four gouge marks. Is it possible to model it on the heavy to see what it would look like when he's wearing it?
  • Buck
    Large gap is there because third and fourth scrape connected on the bottom so the metal would float. Its also so you could see more of heavys face.
  • Fragus
    The teeth look nice in concept, but I think on the model they will look bad. Number 2 is the best imo.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Have you considered hockey-mask style vent holes?
  • JigglesMcGee
    Really loving all of your work, Buck.
    Keep it up.
  • Guitbox
    Man, these look badass.

I just happened to have a tablet out whilst browsing your wares, and did a paintover of an idea.

How about: The helmet is still battle worn and torn up, but to break up the symmetry, how about have it sort of patched back together? Like little plates of metal where a chunk is missing.

Heres a quick visualization:

e0380121d3.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e0380121d3.jpg
  • fastturtle
    ^^^ YES YES YES YES YES ^^^
  • Buck
    Damn, nice idea Guitbox, will definitely try it out ! although i couldnt do the teeth paintwork with them on :( it just wouldnt look right.
  • Guitbox
    yeah, im not sure about what would work with paintwork :S
  • Buck
    Would work with thinner plates.