Home Technical Talk

Outliner 2.0 - Scene management tool for 3ds Max

Replies

• Synthesizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
    Cool stuff Pier, nice to see this is still going strong :) I almost wish I still had to use Max so I could use this and find more crazy bugs :D
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff Pier, nice to see this is still going strong :) I almost wish I still had to use Max so I could use this and find more crazy bugs :D
    It's still not too late to repent and convert to using 3dsmax my friend! :D
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've added the "Clear search field" button, it will be available in the next update.

While doing so, I noticed that the search is a little .... broken... Not only does it select all filtered objects when pressing enter, but also if you go out of the search field in any other way, which is wrong.
    Also, the search seems to be broken in layer mode... Some fixing to be done there!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    What a great tool!

Couple of work flow suggestions. Don't know if they are possible. Middle click to pan, just like other 3D Max hierarchy tree views (i.e. the Track View) The window keeps nudging itself to the right, and you have to use the scroll bar to put it back.

Also, pressing enter in the search box selects the objects and clears the text field. These can both be optional.

Thanks for the great tool!
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've put together a simple website for this project. I should of course have done that much earlier, but never got round to doing it. It probably doesn't contain too much new information for frequent users of the Outliner, but you might be interested in checking out the "Tips & Tricks" page. This contains a list of some interesting 'hidden' features.

Comments & suggestions are welcome, as always :)

monster wrote: »
    What a great tool!
    Thanks!
    Couple of work flow suggestions. Don't know if they are possible. Middle click to pan, just like other 3D Max hierarchy tree views (i.e. the Track View) The window keeps nudging itself to the right, and you have to use the scroll bar to put it back.
    That's an interesting idea. In principle I'm all for following the standard behavior, so users know what they can expect. I'll take a look at this!
    Also, pressing enter in the search box selects the objects and clears the text field. These can both be optional.
    Currently there's a little bug with this, I'll fix that. Clearing the search field after selecting the filtered objects certainly makes sense.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated the Outliner to version 2.0.95. This is still a release for max 2008 and above.
    Most notable changes are fixes to the search field and an added "clear search field" button in the main UI. For a full list of changes, see the changelog.

As always, the easiest way to update is through the Outliner (Options->General->Check Now). Alternatively, you can download and install it manually.
    For those running 2.0.94, you'll now get to see the new update dialog, I hope you'll like it! :)
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Nice, "clear search field" button sure will come in handy!..and owh changelog in the update dialog :)
    Thanks man!

_Revel
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I love the little automatic update function! :) Thanks for putting so much effort into this.

Can i grab the oportunity and ask something, is there a way to fil that gap with the script? Sometimes layer lists get pretty long and would be awesome to be able to select them without need to scroll up and down. (I have it docked to the left side of the screen)

amb31d.jpg
  • TomDeVis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has been of so much help. Especially since the standard max layer "dialog" isn't very user friendly.
    But I can't seem to delete layers through Outliner, I need to go to the standard layer "dialog" and delete them there.

also I second the suggestion HP made.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @[HP]
    That issue was around since the first release (I think, well at least the first release that I use heheh) and the solustion is you resize the Outliner window before you dock it. I believe it also a known issue and PJ has mentioned about this in the website.

@Tom
    Newer version of Outline work with the right-click "delete" function on a layer. No need to visit the standard layer manager anymore just to delete layer! :)

_Revel
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @[HP]The docking issue is indeed an annoying one. The functionality was already quite shaky in max versions up to 2010, but it became really broken in max 2011... As Revel says, the only way to 'solve' this is to undock, resize, and redock. You should have to do this only once, the Outliner will remember its size next time you open it.
    By the way, the button icons look a bit odd..so dark. I wonder what's going on there..?

@Tom: I guess that you mean deleting layers by pressing the "delete" key? If so, that is 'by design'. As Revel suggests, you can delete them through the context menu. However, maybe I should consider catching delete keypresses and handling them in the Outliner, rather than passing everything on to 3dsmax.
  • TomDeVis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the fast request, I was actually talking about the "right click" delete function.
    Whenever I hit the delete "button" in the menu nothing happens. The layer just stays and nothing changes.
    (also doesn't make a difference when I have the layer selected or not, put it active or not)

I'm running on the educational version of max 2011 if that makes a difference?
    Also I've tried to update but got no message or whatever but the standard 7days checking for update is still set.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which Outliner version are you running? There used to be a bug in the "delete layer" from the context menu in earlier versions. It was fixed in 2.0.9.

If you try to update using "check now", do you still not get an update message?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks, that worked! :)

Regarding the dark buttons, well, I am running a custom dark-theme.ui, I like my 3dsmax nice and dark.

2nsw1dz.jpg
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    This just keeps getting better and better. I see on ScriptSpot that Outliner is one of the most downloaded scripts. And for good reason - I can't imagine ever using Max without it now! Thanks for all the hard work on this.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies if this has already been covered but ...

I recently moved my home office and now my second monitor (where I kept Outliner running) is on the left side instead of the right. Now when I press my hot key for Outliner it blips and flips like it's coming up but then it never appears. I assume that it's now stuck off screen somewhere. Is there an INI file or registry setting I can tweak to get it back onto the main display area again?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The code that opens the window ought to prevent this from happening, but apparently it needs reviewing.
    Check out the known issues section of the Outliner's website (3rd bulletpoint).
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, yes, I just read on the web site about the prefs INI. Fixed!
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright! I'll make sure to review the check for 'off-screen' positioning. :)
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WarrenMarshall: if you are using the Outliner to the left of the primary monitor now, could you maybe check the outliner_prefs.ini and see what value the posx entry in there has? Thanks.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Hello and thank you again <3
    I totally use the outliner all the time and spread it to my coworkers.
    I've made a donation to support you, not that i think it gives me the right to ask for new stuff, but i think this would be useful

Would it be possible to have a double window, where you can put 2 modes at the same time ? Even 2 hierarchy mode
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback and the donation!

The 'double view' is in the making at this very moment! It has got a number of quite far-reaching consequences for the design though. Most of them are technical, for example: it requires a lot of code refactoring to allow for multiple treeviews.
    But there are some things to think about when it comes to how to actually use it in the interface too. For example: how should the filters work? Should it be on both treeviews, or should each tree have it's own filter?

I'm also taking this refactoring process as an opportunity to carry out more detailed (unit) tests, which will hopefully improve the quality and stability of the product.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    How awesome :)
    Well in maya the filter is the same for both views. I don't use filter/sort that much, always alphabetical order, so i couldn't say. It could be useful to have them seperated as it could be irritating so do both and put an option hehe.
    But i do think one search field per view would be useful.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On scriptspot someone suggested/requested about an Outliner-based render pass manager. Do you guys have any thoughts on that? First of all, would it be useful? (Since there are some renderpass managers out there already I believe) And secondly, how would it have to work, what features would it have to have, etcetera.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Hi PJanssen take a look at Ephere Zookeeper they actually offer every thing you're talking about from double window, to render pass manager, and filters. You'll maybe find some answer inside it. I use this plug in everyday and i can say that it really robust and powerfull.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha I didn't know Zookeeper had a renderpass manager too. Interesting.
    By the way, the reason why I'm asking this is because I don't want to just copy what's already out there (there's no point to that). I'd rather like to know what people find useful, or what features they miss in existing tools. And after all, since this is a hobby project, I have time to reinvent the wheel ;-)
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes but the wheel wasn't reinvented for ages ;-) Taking the best part of existing tools and improving them is a good approach.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, true. And I'll definitely take a look at Zookeeper, among others.
    But if there's (other) ideas, feel free to post them!
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And i'm pretty sure that you'll be able to invent new stuff. For me the next step into the asset management story is not double window but one single window : A tree view supporting layer or if you prefer a layer manager supporting object's hierarchy.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I've been thinking about that too, like a hybrid view of hierarchy and layer mode.
    I'd have to find a good solution for when a hierarchy is split over multiple layers though.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an idea for a minor improvement that I'd like some input on:
    At the moment, there's an option to set what happens when you click a node's icon. This can be "hide", "freeze", or "set layer active". The last one is the default, and is -obviously- only useful for layer nodes.
    Now my idea was to extend this to something like "context sensitive action". That is, for a layer node it would still set the clicked layer to be active. But for example for a light node, it could toggle the light on and off.
    So the question is: for other object types (e.g. poly, camera, bone), what useful actions could there be?
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For polyobjects you could include a context action to turn on or off Turbosmooth. The light node thing is essential, that's why I use the Onion for some stuff.

I'm not much of an animation guy, but being able to toggle animation tracks would be great as well.

There's just one more thing, that I think needs to be changed. If possible, could you look into making objects inherit a layer's "Show Frozen in Gray" property whenever they're added or moved? For some reason I can't get it to work with Outliner, so again I go back to the Onion to toggle the switch to disable grey frozen objects.

Oh also, one quick suggestion as well. It would be really cool if you could link the wire color with some sort of colormarker that shows up in outliner. Maybe a little color box that shows up at the end of the layer's name.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little update on the development of the Outliner.
    I'm currently working on some serious refactoring in the .NET treeview, to allow multiple trees being open simultaneously. While doing so, I'm also trying to optimize further. Even though I've already spent a great deal of time on optimization for v2.0, I have found a way to improve the sorting performance.

For those interested in the technical details:
    The original sorting algorithm used in the TreeView has a really bad performance characteristic. I believe it uses insertion-sort, so the sorting time increases exponentially as the list grows in average scenarios. I'm now employing a QuickSort instead, which has a much more friendly performance characteristic.

That this can become significant is shown by these measurements:
    10.000 nodes, in hierarchies of 0~10 children per node.
    Default sort: 46ms
    QuickSort:    46ms

10.000 nodes, in a flat list:
    Default sort: 1552ms
    QuickSort:      93ms

So it is clear that QuickSort is a lot faster for longer lists. And the best thing is that it didn't even take much coding to implement it, just a few lines!

I'm also going to try to avoid having to sort the entire hierarchy for each operation that would require sorting. If something happens way down the hierarchy chain, only that part should be sorted, not the entire hierarchy as happens by default. But that's still in the pipeline :)
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been looking at ways to adjust the UI for multiple treeviews. You should be able to set the tree's listmode, sortmode and filter independently. The current interface has just a single set of buttons, which could be an issue.
    So here's a few mockups of ideas I had to solve this:

#1 A toolstrip for each tree.
    ui1ex.jpg

#2 A toolstrip as part of the context menu (kinda like the new office context menus)
    ui2kf.jpg

#3 Keep the current UI, but having a visual cue for the tree it will affect. (the tree that has focus)
    ui3v.jpg

I'd like some feedback on these ideas :)
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Number 1 and 3 is promising, but I prefer the 3. It feels similar with Max's viewport (active cue) and doesn't waste space at the top (or bottom) and personally I only use hierarchy and layer mode most of the time so I don't really benefit of having 2 toolstrip if I can see both treeview at the same time.

Btw, PJ are you gonna put an option of enable/disable the double treeviews? because I'm not too sure about using 2 treeviews at the same time (esp when rigging with a lots of hierarchy bone list), but who knows I'd change my mind when actually "feel" the double treeviews hehe :)

_Revel
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys. More feedback is always welcome of course :)

@Revel: The default state will be a single tree. I'm still looking at how it will work exactly, but I'm aiming for as much flexibility as possible. The idea is that you can have two trees in a single window, but also open multiple outliner windows.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Not #1
    #3 is the best compromise between less "wasted" space and quick access, and it's clear.
    Now I don't often change the filter option, so it could be hidden to win a bit of space like #2 (though its like 15 pixels)
    For #2 and 3#, I assume the search field is linked to the selected tree ?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another, more straightforward take on the issue:
    ui4c.jpg

This will definitely be the easiest to implement, since all the previous options require a bit of trickery to make them work, and this one doesn't. I just wonder if it won't get in the way of the other functions on the contextmenu too much....
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Now that i'm struggling with parenting hundreds of objects, i even more believe it would be useful to have one searchfield per treeview.
    I mean, if drag and drop is bossible between treeviews of the same type ? :3
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @PJ
    Hi man, as much as I love clean interface but with a blank to start with and can only get it with right click, personally I don't like the idea. Some people (like me) will have a few seconds of blank stare at it and thinking where's the layer to only realize that I'm not in the layer mode. I need those buttons mode in the interface all the time as a reminder/ visual cue of what's going on in the outliner's list.

Btw, Recently I just thought of something else to put in your outliner, what do you think about adding a tab for "polygons summary"? so each object has its own tris/ quads/ ngons summarize in one place, well just thought of it while making LODs for the ingame assets model, so if the 2 objects have the same name and the other has a suffix of "_x1, _x2" it will compare to the one without suffix (objecetname, objectname_x1, objectname_x2), so if the _x1 object is way more than 50% of the one without suffix, the number will go red or something to tell it's still too much as a LODs and need mode reduction. The _x2 is 50% of the _x1 and so on. LOL, I know it's too much to ask for..well, it's just an idea, please don't hate me PJ.. xD

@Noors
    Eh? drag and drop between treeviews of the same type?..didn't both of them suppose to have the same content if you open both let say on the "layer" mode?..

_Revel
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Revel, yes ofc, but it's about parenting. When u have like 1000 objects and have to parent something called A to something called Z, it's a long way to go :)
    I can still use schematic or parenting in the viewport, but with 2 treeviews, you type the name of your object in the first, the name of your parent in the second, then bam, drag and drop, it's done easy. Besides, it's the way it works in Maya
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have updated the Outliner to version 2.0.96.
    Changes:
    * [Bugfix] Crash when deleting multiple objects with dependencies from context-menu (e.g. Camera + Camera.Target).
    * [Bugfix] Clear search field button position incorrect when changing search field position.

Use the update function in the Outliner's options dialog to get it, or alternatively download it from the website.

The first issue was a frequently occurring one (received 59 crash reports about it), the second had been in the beta version for a while already.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I have the problem, that i can't see the outliner anymore - maybe because of installing new display drivers and now it's on a negative screen position or something like that :( is there a way to reset the window position?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try point 3 of the known issues on the website:
    http://script.threesixty.nl/outliner/index.php/known-issues

I hope that helps!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Thanks man! That helped! :thumbup:
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Pjanssen, have you thought about including a selection set mode ?

The Manage Selection Set ain't very handy : no direct selection, no multiselection, no drag and drop. Selection sets are a pain to edit, and they could really benefit from what you've done for hierarchy/layer/material modes.

Another thing, would it be possible to include an option to not see parenting ? Just all objects by alphabetical order ?

Man, i can't say how much your tool eases the process on my actual project. Without, I would probably have a nervous breakdown.
    Keep it up :)
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have indeed given the selection sets mode some thought in the past. The main issue with this is that the architecture of the treeview of the Outliner is not designed to handle multiple instances of the same node. This is something that will certainly be necessary when showing selection sets of course.
    Now that I am refactoring much of the code and making the whole architecture more flexible, I might want to consider taking this into account.

About "an option to not see parenting", do you mean that you'd want a flat list without any hierarchy? I suppose this could be a mode too. In the new architecture this should be fairly easy to add.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Pjanssen wrote: »
    do you mean that you'd want a flat list without any hierarchy?

yep, that's what i meant good sir :)
    The scene explorer has this option. It's just in some situations, easier to localize an object this way.
    Sorry my english isn't really good, i sometimes struggle to express myself clearly.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Outliner 2.0 had its 1 year anniversary yesterday! A good moment for an overhaul of the website:
    http://script.threesixty.nl/outliner/

In the "development blog" section I'll occasionally write about the progress of the development of the Outliner.