Home Technical Talk

Outliner 2.0 - Scene management tool for 3ds Max

Replies

• Andrew_Morris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the update, that fixed some issues I was having. One I'm still consistently getting (and sending error reports for), is when I attach or detach objects from others, Outliner crashes.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'll see what's going on there and fix it asap.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've uploaded version 2.0.7, fixing a number of bugs and adding one new feature. As usual, get the update using the "Check now" button in the Options dialog, or download it directly.

Outliner version 2.0.7
    * Fixed "attach node" crash.
    * Fixed "freeze node" crash after Outliner has been opened more than once.
    * Fixed "open context menu" crash for some materials.
    * Fixed bug where empty group head isn't deleted after drag&drop ungrouping.
    * Added optional Box Mode node button.
    * note: there are some issues with the scrollbars and the label edit position when the node buttons are set to be aligned with the Outliner window, this issue is being worked on.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    Pjanssen, marvelous tool! :) I've use it for quite some time now.
    Is there a possible chance to add some sort of "clear all empty layers" function?
    Merging scenes in 3dsmax also merges empty layers and it is very annoying when
    your layer manager is clustered with unused layers.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather wrote: »
    Is there a possible chance to add some sort of "clear all empty layers" function?
    Merging scenes in 3dsmax also merges empty layers and it is very annoying when your layer manager is clustered with unused layers.
    The "Outliner Workflow Tools" contains a macroscript that does this.
    You'll get them after making a donation.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    Ok, that sounds great.

The more I use the script the more I love it. I was thinking how wonderful would it be if there is an option to color code layers or objects (similar to Photoshop).
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Hi Pier,

Sent you two mail but never get any answer maybe you didn't received it. or maybe you found them not intresting.

Thanks for this awesome tool.

Here is my report/wishlist to still improve this cool tool

-When you got like me about 50 layers per scene we need A bouton to add the selected object to selected layer --> RightClick --> AddSelectionToCurrentLayer (Like the "+" button into the Autodesk layer editor).

-A button that allow to expand all the layer hierarchy and to close all the layers hierarchy.

And something absolutely needed :

-A possibility to define a color per layer and all his content. Actually we dont know what is inside the layer or not without being very concentreted. When you got tons of layers you're lost :

Here is a mock up :

outlinermockup.jpg

Another things is confusing me :

-The button that toggle the visibility of a layer or an object (the little light) is showing what will arrive if you click on it. This is not the good way i think and i know that the error is inside autodesk side. I think that if you whant to show a layer or an object the little light must be on.
    And off when you don't want to see this object but actually it's the contrary. (Photoshop did it well as well as the stack visibilty mode of 3dmax why do autodesk changed it for the layer editor)

-is that possible to put object's name and icons (visibility, freeze, etc) into collums (actually icon are placed after the object name so the position is depending of the name's size --> They are not alligned) ? That will be make the things more easy to read. Exemple : If all the visibility icon are into a collum you can see easyier wich object is visible or not.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Cant working in Max without this, fivem million thumbs up:)
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Cathodeus, check out the Node Buttons Location in the options menu to solve the issue you're having with keeping the icons aligned.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Solar for the column tips didn't noticed it.

Need now the "Add selected object to highlighted layer button" and i'll replace my Autodesk layer editor. (A "+" Icon behind Hide/Unhide, Freeze/Unfreeze, BoxView).
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Havnt used this in a while, but seeing as the threads been bumped figured I'll asked: does it work with reset xform now? Last time I installed it resetting xform would take down all of max, whether the plugin was open or not, had to get rid of it for this reason.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus wrote: »
    Hi Pier,
    Sent you two mail but never get any answer maybe you didn't received it. or maybe you found them not intresting.
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I haven't had much time to spend on the Outliner in the past month due to other activities.
    When you got like me about 50 layers per scene we need A bouton to add the selected object to selected layer --> RightClick --> AddSelectionToCurrentLayer (Like the "+" button into the Autodesk layer editor).
    I can understand why you'd want this feature, however it is not as easy to implement as it sounds. Since the rightclick action selects the node clicked on (object or layer), you'll loose your previous selection. And contrary to the default layer manager, this action propagates to max's object selection immediately.
    I'll think about a way of solving this, but it might not come very soon...
    -A button that allow to expand all the layer hierarchy and to close all the layers hierarchy.
    That should be easy; a good one for the workflow toolset I reckon.
    A possibility to define a color per layer and all his content. Actually we dont know what is inside the layer or not without being very concentreted. When you got tons of layers you're lost :
    I like the idea, and it should not be too difficult to implement. Thinking about it: should it be a 'new' color tag, or should it correspond/modify the already existing layer wirecolor?
    The button that toggle the visibility of a layer or an object (the little light) is showing what will arrive if you click on it. This is not the good way i think and i know that the error is inside autodesk side. I think that if you whant to show a layer or an object the little light must be on.
    And off when you don't want to see this object but actually it's the contrary. (Photoshop did it well as well as the stack visibilty mode of 3dmax why do autodesk changed it for the layer editor)
    Yeah I see how this can be a little confusing. My reasoning with this was: see the button as the 'hidden' state, rather than the 'visible' state. If it's "on", the object is hidden. Maybe the choice of the light for the hidden state was a bit unlucky.
    The nice thing about this approach is that it works the same way as the freeze and boxmode button.
    I guess it should not be too hard to make an option to switch the button images, but well...

PolyHertz wrote: »
    Havnt used this in a while, but seeing as the threads been bumped figured I'll asked: does it work with reset xform now? Last time I installed it resetting xform would take down all of max, whether the plugin was open or not, had to get rid of it for this reason.
    It could have been caused by a bug which was fixed in version 2.0.7, although it's difficult to be sure. Either way, I've tried using reset xform, both with the Outliner opened and closed, and it works fine. So I'd suggest you try installing 2.0.7 and see if it works now.
    My config: Windows xp, 3dsmax 2010 32bit, Outliner 2.0.7
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

-When you got like me about 50 layers per scene we need A bouton to add the selected object to selected layer --> RightClick --> AddSelectionToCurrentLayer (Like the "+" button into the Autodesk layer editor).
    Pjanssen wrote: »

I can understand why you'd want this feature, however it is not as easy to implement as it sounds. Since the rightclick action selects the node clicked on (object or layer), you'll loose your previous selection. And contrary to the default layer manager, this action propagates to max's object selection immediately.
    I'll think about a way of solving this, but it might not come very soon...

And that way is it possible ? (Do not use the right click) :

(A "+" Icon behind Hide/Unhide, Freeze/Unfreeze, BoxView).

Thanks for your answers.
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome, I use this every day!:)
    I don't know if that has been already noticed but,
    If you delete a layer, and then you cancel the popup. The layer stay, but all layer's objects are deleted!

:thumbup:
  • frwanque
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frwanque polycounter lvl 6
    is there an older version who works with max9?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Synthesizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
    There was when we worked at Grin over a year ago. Not as many features, but still a million times better than Max's default :)
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And that way is it possible ? (Do not use the right click) :

Thanks for your answers.
    Yes that could work. Good idea!
    zOffTy wrote: »
    Awesome, I use this every day!:)
    I don't know if that has been already noticed but,
    If you delete a layer, and then you cancel the popup. The layer stay, but all layer's objects are deleted!

:thumbup:
    I'll check that out! thanks.
    frwanque wrote: »
    is there an older version who works with max9?
    The last version that is compatible with max9 was 1.6.1, which you can download here:
    http://script.threesixty.nl/outliner/outliner_1_6_1.zip
    But as Simon says, it's far inferior to the 2.0.x version, both in features and performance.
  • frwanque
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frwanque polycounter lvl 6
    no worries Tanks a lot i use version 2 a home but a work you don't always have exactly what you need
  • dutch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we get an option to not show hidden objects at all in the out liner?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dutch wrote: »
    Can we get an option to not show hidden objects at all in the out liner?
    You can use the filter to do this. Right-Click the filter icon to configure it, disable the hidden objects checkbutton, and enable the filter.
    There's an example of this in the first 25 seconds of the features video: http://vimeo.com/10783899
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if you know this or not, but nested folders causes network rendering to crash on server nodes that do not have outliner installed.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you know this or not, but nested folders causes network rendering to crash on server nodes that do not have outliner installed.
    Yeah I am aware of this. I'm looking for a way to fix this issue.
    You can avoid the problem now by disabling the "outliner not installed message" in the Outliner options.
  • dutch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pjanssen wrote: »
    You can use the filter to do this. Right-Click the filter icon to configure it, disable the hidden objects checkbutton, and enable the filter.
    There's an example of this in the first 25 seconds of the features video: http://vimeo.com/10783899

Perfect, I hadn't noticed that. Thanks, great tool :)
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    There seem to be some problems with the outliner not updating hidden/not hidden status on dummy objects in the latest version. happens alot to me when using isolate selection, often some rootnodes stay visible in the outliner when they should not be.
  • dutch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    There seem to be some problems with the outliner not updating hidden/not hidden status on dummy objects in the latest version. happens alot to me when using isolate selection, often some rootnodes stay visible in the outliner when they should not be.

just came to post exactly this.

I'd also like to suggest an addition to the double click function. Currently it's setup for rename (or expand), but I would like to see that moved to the right click menu, and instead make double click select the children and parent of a hierarchy.

Max works the same way. When you double click a parent of a hierarchy, it selects the parent and the children.

Also, double middle clicking an object causes max to crash.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I still use ephere scene manager, i guess it's time to start using this. Everyone use this at work.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be sure to check those issues when I have some time to work on an update.

@[HP]: I hope you'll like it :) If there's anything you notice that doesn't work well, be sure to let me know. Also nice to hear that "everyone uses it at work" :)
  • dutch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought of something else. It would be nice if i could use the keyboard to adjust selection.

In my current case I'm going through a list of objects checking what modifiers are on each of them. Right now I have to click each one. It would be nice if i could just use the arrow keys on my keyboard.

Eventually it would be good to combine this with the shift function.

Page up and down could be good too. I'm not sure if this would interfere with the max hot keys though.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've fixed the issues with netrendering/backburner when using nested layers. I would like it to be tested by some people before releasing it though. I am currently unable to this myself.
    So if anyone would like to help with this, please drop me a PM.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated the Outliner to version 2.0.8.
    This update includes a fix for the backburner/netrender issues with scenes containing nested layers.

You can get the update by using the "Check now" button in the options dialog, or alternatively, download it directly.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badass! Thanks now I can use nested layers without hesitation!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Awesome!..thanks man, it really help me organizing my objects/ scene a lot easier.

_Revel
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Pjansen,

Thanks for the update. When can we expect a solution that allow user to add a selected object directly to a given layer like we talked about few months ago. Do you remember ?

I know that you're not working full time on the outliner. Can you give aproximatively a time frame.

I definitively need it for my workflow. Zookeeper programmer Marsel Khadiyev just added it into his software maybe i'll buy it.

Depending if it will be integrated inside the outliner.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha yes I haven't gotten round to doing that yet, as you have noticed. I've just moved to Sweden and started with a new study, so this is a very busy time for me. Maybe I can do something this weekend, maybe the week after that, but I can't promise anything.
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I moved really recently too and i know this can be an hard piece of life. I'll be happy if you integrate it inside the outliner but don't stress yourself. I'm happy to know that you're still thinking of it.

And Welcome to sweden !!!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I think a "select all" function would be nice :) So i could filter my scene and then select all filtered assets it's found.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That'd be a good addition to the workflow tools, yeah :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon, maybe I'm not understanding how you want to use it, but can't you just filter it, click on the first thing, hold shift and click on the last thing in the list? Or maybe that's what you do now and you want a one button solution?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it could be something to replace the Ctrl+A Select all command in the viewport. Or be an addition to it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humm maybe, but he might not want "affect viewport" turned on all the time so only outliner is filtered but the viewport isn't?
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's why it might be a useful addition to have a macroscript which selects everything in the Outliner, rather than everything in the viewport.
    You could set it up so that Ctrl+A is the regular "Select All" command, and say Ctrl+Shift+A is a "Select All in Outliner" command.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OOhh yea that would be helpful. No pressure tho =p
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I just want to say thank you for this incredibly useful tool, my small donation doesn't even begin to cover the effort you put into this.

I just finished a semi-complex rigging job, and Outliner made the whole experience more enjoyable, and I'd estimate that I saved one-third of the time it normally would have taken using Max's default tools.

Two big thumbs up, can't imagine using Max without this now!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    i would like to select the outliner, hit ctrl+a and then it selectss all what iss listed. i don't want a overwrite of the normal ctrl+a because i want to be able to select all stuff in the scene too WHEN i'm in the viewport.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I forgot to mention about the last release, 2.0.8, is that I've also included a little tool to clean up the layer warnings in pre-2.0.8 scenes.
    You'll find it under Customize -> Customize User Interface -> [Category] Outliner.

It can either clean up the currently opened scene, or do a batch clean up on a specific folder and its subfolders.
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When can we expect a solution that allow user to add a selected object directly to a given layer like we talked about few months ago. Do you remember ?
    I've spent some time today implementing this. So you should have this with the next (minor) release. I'm not sure when exactly that will be, I'm considering adding/changing some other things too.
    I'm making some small changes to the code so you can decide the position of the 'node buttons' per button. So you could set it up to have the hide and freeze buttons before the node icon, and have the + button for layers after the node text. I think I'll use that as the default setup.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    What also would be nice: when i type a search word into the search text field it looks only at the start of names. If you have an object named like "Laluli" i wouldn't find it when i search for "lu" or "li" or "luli" i have to type the first characters first.

I would find it great to search also for other parts then the beginning of a string. Personally i solve this problem with
    if ((findString myString searchword) != undefined) then putItIntoTheList()

• SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Oh and i found out how i can select all filtered/found objects: hit ENTER when you are in the search text field :) so the "select all" function isn't necessary for me now :)
  • Pjanssen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe yes I guess that works for a "select all" functionality.

As for your question about searching: you can use an asterisk, *, in the search field. So if you have objects named "Sphere01", "Sphere02", "Box01", searching for "*01" would select "Sphere01" and "Box01".