Home General Discussion

Starcraft II

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The StarCraft II Editor is now available!
    • Players will now be able to begin creating trigger maps in preparation for map publishing which will be made available in an upcoming beta patch.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I was messing around in the editor just now. So far I can't find anything to import models or textures. Its possible this could be a future feature to be added.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Some cool things I've messed with so far

360 degrees of rotation (crtl right click)

There's import options but I don't know how to use them.

There's a lot of texture painting and blending for the ground, each map has ~8 ground textures.

change the light direction :D, there's lots of lighting options.

Zerglings sink

2n8dg93.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Cojax wrote: »
    I was messing around in the editor just now. So far I can't find anything to import models or textures. Its possible this could be a future feature to be added.

FOUND IT :D

2wmkmza.jpg
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I want a .m3 exporter for Max. Please :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Whew, this editor is kickin' my arse right now, but at the same time I can see how you can really start sailing by once you figure everything out and get things kinda working how you want it to. There's certainly an accessibility price to pay for all the customization this editor allows for. Too early to judge though just how easy this thing is going to be to pick up at an advanced level.

Tutorials are starting to roll out:

http://forums.battle.net/board.html?sid=5000&forumId=26794999

For now mostly simple tutorials on how to mix and match existing assets to create a hybrid of a units, an scv with sci storm for example. It'll ramp up soon I'm sure, but for now it's nice that there's nothing too advanced so it's easy to keep up with the community without feeling like you're sucking wind. Bah, who am I kidding, can't wait for some more advanced tutorials so we can really dive in!

As for importing assets, we're going to have to wait for m3 export tools, so far no way to export models that I know of. On top that, I've poked around and i really have no idea how materials are setup, probably text based, but looking at various units close up you definitly see potential for some really nice results, just not going to be smooth and slick to get them like in other game engines. On the plus side if you can figure this out you'll be very a very valuable technical artist in this community!, that is until more tools come out to make this all easy to do ;).

Took an up close shot showing off a more detailed asset, this engine is certainly capable of producing some nice game art (not that SCII is so shabby itself):
    scii.jpg

Welp... back to the grind!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    crazyfingers. Is it possible to find out how detailed a mesh/unit is? say, tri-count and texturesize?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, there is a displayed tri count, the below statue i think was about 640 tri. I'd imagine throwing in much higher meshes wouldn't be an issue, this game was created to handle hundreds upon hundreds of units many of which can have its fair share of polys.

I haven't found anything about texture size though, Materials and textures are hard to find in the editor, if you can even find them. You can kinda guess at size by zooming in. This game DOES NOT look good under a microscope i must warn though, it's very optimized for the high camera position. That said some units do look really cool up close!

sc22.jpg
    This is the previewer, closest i've gotten to finding material details, i opened some of the info on the right side. That's about all I've found about them so far though.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    According to the Gamestop, people who've bought wont be getting any beta keys just yet until further notice, so it will be a real good throw off for guys who have pre-ordered it 2 nights ago. That really threw my mood off, I guess I wont be getting the beta / map editor or anything anytime soon. :(

so good luck with the map editor everyone.
  • ZacD
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    If that's what we should be expecting from the in game cinematic then i'll be very very happy!

I'll have to come back here tonight so i can figure out how to put down player start points.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woot! Got the Beta key!! YAY!! :D
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Congratz! I'm glad they came through and provide the beta key that they promised.
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Woot! Got the Beta key!! YAY!! :D
    Damn it why haven't I got a beta key yet. I have 2 accounts with games in it. :(
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you pre-ordered the collectors edition or the SC2 WOL This week's weekday? As in Monday? If no than the account wouldnt help you at all.

According to the EBgames (AKA: GameStop) I got the beta-key just in time. They werent giving out to the people who recently pre-ordered it, but people who pre-ordered it when the game was first on their site for pre-order queue.

Try your luck and pre-order the starcraft2. If you do it online it will take approx one day to verify your order and payment information. I havent done that through the walkin shops. =\

Also according to the Patch 10 notes we were suppose to get that Galaxy editor which we havent. >.< I hope its on its way.

Also I know it is late and you guys must be pros by now but my nick is Nitewalkr.nitewalkr there if anyone would like to add and play.

Still learning. I suck though, I get pwnded by the protaas mostly. :(
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    preorder today at gamestop - got a key. 2 for 2 so far! man this game gets you all excited!

breakneck.tacovan
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Galaxy Editor is located in your StarCraft II folder. As for the quality of the models up close, yes they don't nearly as good compared to the normal view but it depends on what video card you have, what settings the game is on (Low, Medium, High, Ultra, or Extreme), and the resolution you are running it on.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm!! Will check the first thing when I get home.
  • SnowGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowGhost polycounter lvl 11
    As KhAoZ said. the exe is located in program files/starcraftII Beta
    Simply called starcraft II editor.exe

Make sure you are updated to patch 10

Also evidently you don't actually have to be in the beta to use the editor. You can also test your maps without having to be in the beta. The editor runs without a need to log in to battle.net and bypasses battle.net when it launches to test. Which is great because I've been mad that I didn't have a key but I've been wanting to try the editor really bad. Yay :)
  • Asherr
  • DrunkShaman
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »

Yeah this is great... only a small piece of what's to come. I am almost 100% sure there will be major updates at and after release as well.

By the way, SnowGhost, I mentioned earlier that you can get a beta key with a preorder from Gamestop, it is now also possible at Amazon.com as well.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Sheesh, when people start making kart games with your BETA I think it's time for a release :P

Seriously, why arent they just releasing it, are you guys experiencing a lot of bugs in the beta sofar? It kind of feels like everybody but me is playing the game already :o
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no bugs at all, its all about balance now i think
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Twice now I've played somebody who asks for a minute, because they're using the bathroom, etc. And both times, they've been lying just to get a few minutes ahead so they can win. Thats just silly! Its only a game children!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ...you CAN pause it. That way they cant pull that shit.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twice now I've played somebody who asks for a minute, because they're using the bathroom, etc. And both times, they've been lying just to get a few minutes ahead so they can win. Thats just silly! Its only a game children!

that and "oh I am a complete noob please go easy on me"

10 minutes later you'll find maradours and jumpers shooting your command center. >.<

also I think they do bluff around because if they lose it would just put them in a lower rank? Which is kinda insult to everyone. =\

EDIT: Make it 6-7 minutes later....
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    that and "oh I am a complete noob please go easy on me"

I played a 2v2 match where my partner asked me how good I was right off the bat. I wanted to be honest, so I informed him that I was pretty new to the beta. The next thing I know he's in the ALL chat, complaining to the opposing team that he's gotten stuck with a newb. Five minutes later both of our opponents are rushing my base for all they're worth, with my idiot partner doing nothing to assist. Then he calls me unpleasent names for losing the match for him.

Some people...
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    if you're saying anything to the other players besides vulgar profanity and references to the poor character and/or promiscuity of their mother, you're doing it wrong
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    if you're saying anything to the other players besides vulgar profanity and references to the poor character and/or promiscuity of their mother, you're doing it wrong

You being a noob doesnt have to do anything with the all chat. Unless you were a noob for real. Recently I understood why people just say that they are noob and you relax on making your base so they can just pwn it.

The trick is to have some forces down in your base within 10 minutes.

EDIT: I think next time if someone tells me that he is a noob I'll try this phrase "You are nuked in 10"
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Apparently, according to SCII "trans" is a curse word.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    and so is xbox.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »

LOL YES!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this is not the place but since a handful of you guys have the beta key..want to do the 2vs2 arranged matches, that would be great.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    sure add me SideEffect.jleblanc
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Seriously, why arent they just releasing it, are you guys experiencing a lot of bugs in the beta sofar?

Battle.net.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed it up after the recent server wipe.

Arcane.polycount

Add me to your friends list. I would definitely be up for some 2vs2. I prefer 2vs2, and am looking forward to when they open up games for even more players.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played a 2v2 match where my partner asked me how good I was right off the bat. I wanted to be honest, so I informed him that I was pretty new to the beta. The next thing I know he's in the ALL chat, complaining to the opposing team that he's gotten stuck with a newb. Five minutes later both of our opponents are rushing my base for all they're worth, with my idiot partner doing nothing to assist. Then he calls me unpleasent names for losing the match for him.

Some people...

Been there dude. When i was first starting i had a teammate like this, spent the whole time criticizing everything , TOTAL DICK. "Why are you joining 2 vs 2 games!?, these are for pros only! Join the 1 vs 1 you stupid c*nt", he could tell i wasn't pro by the location of my first supply depot.

Spent most of the match telling the guy to lighten up and it was only a game. Lost the match, whatever, just a game, there are f*cks out there, just join another right?.. I sh*t you not the next two 2 vs 2's i joined i got matched with this asshole on my team. I wish i had a log of our conversations, by the begining of the second game i'd given up trying to communicate with this asshole on a civil level. Never met someone online this f*cking angry at his own team and i've seen a lot of tantrums in my day.

By the third game we were literally just hurling insults at each other as he tried to stay alive and i was building a trail of supply depots to "breadcrumb" the enemy into his base. I was actually very impressed by his ability to play while typing long winded insults, dude must practice ;).
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    By the way, SnowGhost, I mentioned earlier that you can get a beta key with a preorder from Gamestop, it is now also possible at Amazon.com as well.

Just got my beta key via pre-order at gamestop!

Hurray, can I now hang with the cool crowd?

Seriously though, if anyone wants to play a new-b game 1v1 pm me! :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been there dude. When i was first starting i had a teammate like this, spent the whole time criticizing everything , TOTAL DICK. "Why are you joining 2 vs 2 games!?, these are for pros only! Join the 1 vs 1 you stupid c*nt", he could tell i wasn't pro by the location of my first supply depot.

Spent most of the match telling the guy to lighten up and it was only a game. Lost the match, whatever, just a game, there are f*cks out there, just join another right?.. I sh*t you not the next two 2 vs 2's i joined i got matched with this asshole on my team. I wish i had a log of our conversations, by the begining of the second game i'd given up trying to communicate with this asshole on a civil level. Never met someone online this f*cking angry at his own team and i've seen a lot of tantrums in my day.

By the third game we were literally just hurling insults at each other as he tried to stay alive and i was building a trail of supply depots to "breadcrumb" the enemy into his base. I was actually very impressed by his ability to play while typing long winded insults, dude must practice ;).

Last time I had the person who told me to tell my strategy to him. At first I didnt know if there was a strategy guide of Sc2 for sc1 players <.< so I told him I dont know. =\

He started writing in caps in all chat insulting me...*shivers*

I play LOL and WOW pvp on occassions and I have been used to it "thankfully" Now, instead of getting mad at the person "which is what they want you to be." I start laughing at them. Thats 2ice the fun you'll get for playing multiplayer game while enjoying the chat.

Moral of the story. Never take dicks seriously.

My nick is Nitewalkr.nitewalkr if anyone wish to add me there for 2vs2. =)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah, I don't know why some people just can't seem to grasp this. You should NEVER be mean to your team-mates. At the very worst, they can still serve as cannon fodder to distract the enemy. Give them guidance if you feel you must, but don't ever give them grief. Part of the challenge of team matches is the unpredictable nature of the other players. Hell, Starcraft II even has a mechanism for balancing this out. If you are on a team with a player who has a terrible record, you are less likely to lose points for the ladder. (since your team won't be favored to win)

Thankfully, I've only had a few matches like that one. Most of the 2vs2 matches I've played have been pretty civil on both sides. The really good players realize that typing distracts from winning.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    its weird though in 1v1 games there seems to be less assholes like that. People are usually pretty good sports even when they lose.
  • KhAoZ
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good god is this Editor addicting. I've spent the past 6 hours banging my head against the data editor without learning a damned thing (well maybe a couple little things). The trigger editor though i'm absolutely in love with.

Super early in developement but here's where the RPG/ Space shooter's at right now, I'm pretty stoked with the asteroids-like movement i stiffarmed into it:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GfKvksIDYU[/ame]

Longterm goal is to have lots of craft with various movement types. Some will control top down like an RTS taking commands from mouse clicks, others like this fighter will use WASD just like in an arcade game, should be a really interesting mix. If you're in a top down view you'll still have to dodge lasers by moving around with mouse movements ;) I could literally type up like 20 pages of stuff about what this is going to be, but now's not the time!
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    That looks absolutely awesome CrazyFingers! Can you explain a bit on the process of making the 3rd person work properly, it seemed very smooth, contrary to many other third person attempts I've seen :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, i can divulge that :D. To be honest a lot of this is mish mashed stuff from other people's mods, didn't want to spend a ton of time adjusting camera settings this early on when things are going to inevitably change.

triggers.jpg
  • SnowGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowGhost polycounter lvl 11
    I have the opposite problem. I'm fine with the data editor but I'm having issues with learning triggers.

You should try some of the tutorials for the data editor they will tech you a lot.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I've been playing SC1 alot lately. sc2 looks so fun, but no invite yet (even registered sc1 it in hopes of getting one) :(

CrazyFingers, its just as bad in sc1 still, team mates always start typing in all caps and insulting each other when they're getting owned :P
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    PolyHertz: You can always do what I did. Spend 5 bucks at gamestop on the pre-order to get a beta key. And if your really cheap, you can even get your money back the next day, and still have access to the beta. ;)