Home General Discussion

Starcraft II

Replies

• piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely picking up the CE. Can't wait!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    CE for sure, I hope they give beta testers a special achievement or something.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because I'm too lazy to read through 13 pages... did anyone from Europe get in the beta? I haven't got a key yet but I didn't know if they've opened Beta to EU yet.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, EU is open.

And holy CRAP are mutalisks overpowered! 5 mutas and you can pick off a player's economy bit by bit.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok cheers Dfacto, let's hope I get a key then, although I guess not too long to wait before release hopefully.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf wrote: »
    Particularly they bundle in a real artbook, none of this dvd size 20 page nonsense. I hope to get a pre-order, and not waiting for a midnight launch to get it -.-
    If its like the art book that came with the WoW CE, then its hard bound and packed full of some good stuff. The thing that bites is that they later released everything indivdually so the Collectors Edition wasn't very "collectible". I would have bought vanilla wow and picked up the art book if I had known it was going to go down like that.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    If its like the art book that came with the WoW CE, then its hard bound and packed full of some good stuff. The thing that bites is that they later released everything indivdually so the Collectors Edition wasn't very "collectible". I would have bought vanilla wow and picked up the art book if I had known it was going to go down like that.

I think they've only done that for the original WOW:CE Haven't seen any retail artbooks of the expansion packs yet.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    Yes, EU is open.

And holy CRAP are mutalisks overpowered! 5 mutas and you can pick off a player's economy bit by bit.

Pit them against few Stalkers mixed with few Sentries and it's hard for mutalisks to survive.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Did you guys check out yesterday's patch notes? A lot of nerfs and changes.

Roach nerfs are disappointing as a Zerg player, but I can see why they did it. Void Ray changes were totally necessary. The few times I have played protoss they are very OP against any heavy units and buildings.

The Patch notes:
    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049316
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    piippo wrote: »
    Pit them against few Stalkers mixed with few Sentries and it's hard for mutalisks to survive.

If your Terren Marines + Medevacs + stimpcks will make quick work of mutas.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not usually very good with zerg, but lately i've been throwing up a couple defensive structures up, expanding and pumping out mutas like no ones business. No need to worry about map layout, stratagy, just get pump out 6 mutas super early and hit the expansion spots and harrass the heck out of workers. I pump out 2 queens early for extra defense knowing i'll get an expansion soon and i heal hte heck out of my structures. Early game rushes are no problem. Creepers are good for getting the creep to the expansion early so i can just lift my defensive structures up and move 'em right over.

Mutas are pretty friggin' amazing in low to mid level play. The thing about mutas is you can't really compair them in a match up against other units because mutas are the fastest most mobile unit in the game. If you bring a force that can counter a muta harrass at your expansion 5 seconds later i'll be at the other base raping drones. Even the best anti muta build is still a pretty even matchup, and they focus fire like no ones bussiness. While the other force is waiting for their anti air forces to bunch up to bring their full offense forward, mutas are already all firing on all cylenders on one target. Hit and run a few times and you have the advantage.

Honestly, Zerg are feeling a bit more one dimensional than the other races, relying more on massing and less on cool abilities. There's no swarm to protect from bullets, no plague, no really cool defining zerg spell. Mutas, Hydras, Roaches all par for the coarse. But this IS beta, things will change, and we could all just be doing it wrong ;)

Meanwhile in Korea...
    JlJwy.png
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Zergs are the kings of the harass! They have the zerglings for early in the game/ground harassment. Then the mutas for mid game/air harassment. They might not be the best units for waging war, but they are really good at making sure that the other player cant build up enough to hurt you while you take over the map.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Void ray still owns, wasn't really a nerf, more like a tweak.

I've recently been realizing how good upgrades are, +1 armor and attack and marauders get eaten up by zerglings, or you can go roaches and hydra and upgrade them at the same time.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I think if the void rays were slower moving it would help a bit. When i first saw them i figured they were ground attack only. When they started blasting shit in the air my mind was blown!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They are pretty slow until you upgrade its movement speed.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing with void rays though is that they are very easily countered, so really they're most dangerous to zerg who haven't teched to hydras (or other races who gamble and try to rush higher tech levels).

Mutas are godly against terrans and protoss mostly all throughout the game because if they are sent in mass they can overwhelm all base defenses easily, plus intercept medivacs quickly. If played right they force terrans to turtle, which is just a slow death when facing zerg with multiple hatcheries pumping out mutas and then brood lords. If played right they can do the same to protoss. The two saving graces of the protoss, namely stalkers/sentinels and high templar are nearly useless as storm is easy to evade with mutas, and the stalkers require a standup fight to shine. If you see the stalkers though, it just means you can go around and rape their base real fast, usually raping it much faster than they rape yours. Both races have shit for air counters until the top tier units are reached, but those are very expensive.

Oh yeah, and they rape hydras for breakfast.

Really, mutas are overpowered mostly because without special tactics they can kill a standing force, and if that force is well equipped they can evade it and strike their base with impunity. Nerfing them would screw over zerg though, so I'm really not sure what the balance solution there is. Maybe an upgrade to AA installations to do splash damage to air? Right now I'm noticing against zerg that the idea is "win before they get mutas".

On another note, I love reapers. A good reaper rush can outright kill noobs, and they're nice for scouting and harassing all game. But mostly I just love them because that's what I wanted marines to be all along, minus the weakness and short range guns. :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Void rays are really good against any army of super units (thor, BC, ultra, BL, colossus, mothership, carriers, etc etc) that's their role. They suck against swarms, like 30 marines will have no trouble with 10 void rays.

to me it seems no one really counters mutas right, I played with a random 2v2 partner and he tried to stop them with void rays? really stupid move. But stalkers are great against them, vikings are good too, and ravens + hunter seeker = rape. Pheonixes can work too.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's beta, i think mutas are so strong becuase the zerg casters aren't developed yet, gives 'em a fighting chance. Can't wait for a nerf to mutas though, long as they supplement it with something ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah nerf muta, give us cool casters (or at least infestor + use some skills borrowed)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Infestor just needs Dark Swarm (from sc1, negates ranged attacks within cloud) to become awesome. Right now its skills are fairly bland.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think mutas are very OP. Against a bunch of marines/marauders they go down easily. Also against banshees or vikings, missile turrets, photon cannons, stalkers, hyrdras, etc. They aren't good against taking down large number of ground units, particularily balled up stim'd marines. They are pretty squishy and fall easily to focus fire, they just happen to be fast and very effective when micro'd.

The patch the other day is going to make it slightly easier for void rays to fight mutas because now they have 5 base damage instead of 2.

There's no hard counter, but I don't think that makes them OP, I think it just means there needs to be a better counter implemented. All of the matches I watch of higher level players, they never have any problem dispatching mutas.

Yeah, Zerg are totally lacking in awesome spells. They have nothing as comparably useful as forcefield, guardian shield or stim packs. Fungal Growth and Corrupt are the only halfway decent spells. I was thinking maybe something like a haste that could be researched and used on Tier1/2 units would be coool. They get a slightly higher(really slightly, so it's not OP) dps for a few seconds to compensate for the other race's defensive spells.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Any Canadians having a hard time to find a place to pre-order the collectors? As always EBgames/Gamestop are clueless too whats going on (Gamestop.com has a pre-order avaliable, but not Gamestop.ca)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Aye, they only have the regular SC2 pre-order at the gamestop..not a SC2 CE. =\
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That collector's edition looks delicious! I especially love the box haha
  • Asherr
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    i have a beta key :)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a beta key :)
    I do not have a beta key :(
    After 3 weeks of waiting.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Damn that CE is packed with goodness.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I heard a rumour that the game is being released as three different games. one for each race. multiplayer you can play every race, but single player, you have to buy all three? can anyone plz smash that rumour for me?
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    It's no rumour.. Blizzard are releasing 3 games for each race's singeplayer missions.. Can't say I like that move, but it's going to happen.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Man up and trust blizzard on this one guys. Each race's campaign will be longer than the original 3 put together, and you can be damn sure the production values for each mission will be out of control. Change is scary, I know, but it can also be very good. Blizzard knows what theys doin (...and they also knows how to milk a franchise)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Ferg wrote: »
    Man up and trust blizzard on this one guys. Each race's campaign will be longer than the original 3 put together, and you can be damn sure the production values for each mission will be out of control. Change is scary, I know, but it can also be very good. Blizzard knows what theys doin (...and they also knows how to milk a franchise)

At least they're milking it with new, fun and high quality content unlike Activision who charges $15 for old CoD4 maps for a MW2 DLC.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    slipsius wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that the game is being released as three different games. one for each race. multiplayer you can play every race, but single player, you have to buy all three? can anyone plz smash that rumour for me?

There will probably be a year in between each game
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ZacD wrote: »
    There will probably be a year in between each game

we talkin 1 human year, or 1 blizzard year? :P

when i heard they were doing that, i kinda figured they would be huge campaigns. And really, Id probably still buy all three (assuming the first one is worth it). but, i also played SC (and warcraft) the most for its custom maps on bnet. so, if i find myself not playing the campaign on the first one, no chance in hell ill get the second or third.
  • marlfox8
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    slipsius wrote: »
    we talkin 1 human year, or 1 blizzard year? :P

when i heard they were doing that, i kinda figured they would be huge campaigns. And really, Id probably still buy all three (assuming the first one is worth it). but, i also played SC (and warcraft) the most for its custom maps on bnet. so, if i find myself not playing the campaign on the first one, no chance in hell ill get the second or third.

Talking human years, most of their expansions have came out in about a year after. The cinematics and campaigns in SC were great, WCIII I never really touched the single player, so I'm hoping they will do a better job this time around, I'm sure they will.
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    At least they're milking it with new, fun and high quality content unlike Activision who charges $15 for old CoD4 maps for a MW2 DLC.

yea, blizz releases raid packages and that on the go for all, all you have to pay is the game itself, the monthly fee (which you have to play cod6 on 360 too) and pay for the expansions to be able to keep up with all others, im happy for the revamp of Onyxia's lair with 3.2.2 as it was so boring when tbc got released when ppl started to solo her...
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    meh, I am pretty sure its Activion's idea not Blizzard's. If it was Blizzard, they would send out the 3 race altogather in one game single and multiplayer, and the expension would follow.

This act is because:
    -Activition knows how to make more money out of Blizzard by changing their market strategy from where they stand in the market.
    -They have the sucky history of such attempts in the past.
    -They are beginning to inject their fingers in the Blizzard's business and trying to make the changes for their benefits.

If this roumer is true than I'd say, "Consider Blizzard's plan of pushing their business to the ground from the top."

I am glad that I havent reserved the SC2 yet. Still thinking.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    If blizzard ever shows any signs of being affected by Activision, I'll be the first to cut all my support to them, which sucks because I love them. Without Blizzard, there's only VALVe left to trust for consisten quality releases.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not have a beta key :(
    After 3 weeks of waiting.

Well actually, i just use my buddy battle net account (shhh its a secret), considering he signed up for the beta as a joke, as he is kinda anti blizzard (after he quit WoW, yeah hes one of those guys) and since ive been playing blizzard games since lost vikings or rock n roll racing, he lets me use it :$

Zerg is pretty fun, i've pulled off a planetary fortress rush (when you get it you'll see how op terran can be in the right hands)

Edit: i'll definately be picking up that collectors edition, if not just for the art book.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pricing released on the collectors edition: 99 bucks, comes with a picture of Bobby Kotick smiling (unsigned)

I KID!

Seriously though, the pricing only bothers me because they have 2 more games lined up, so a price hike on collector editions (used to be 80) combined with drawing out a game from the get go to 3 installments seems a little un-Blizzard :P
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's pretty steep, but looking at what you get it's not that bad. I've been waiting to get a key since the first possibility to opt-in opened, no luck so far :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

Edit: i'll definately be picking up that collectors edition, if not just for the art book.

and the behind the scenes dvd
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    and the behind the scenes dvd

of course that too
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well actually, i just use my buddy battle net account (shhh its a secret), considering he signed up for the beta as a joke, as he is kinda anti blizzard (after he quit WoW, yeah hes one of those guys) and since ive been playing blizzard games since lost vikings or rock n roll racing, he lets me use it :$

Zerg is pretty fun, i've pulled off a planetary fortress rush (when you get it you'll see how op terran can be in the right hands)

I doubt I'll get it ;P
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    Any experience on just how crappy of a connection you can play it with? I so totally need a new RTS to knock around with, but I don't exactly have the world's fastest internet.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    BTW Canadians can now pre-order the CE at EBgames today! I wonder if the pre-order number means anything on my recept #999
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I ordered the CE over a month ago. :)

The more I play the more fun the game becomes, its great!
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No news about the CE hitting europe? I haven't spotted any pre-order possibilities yet.
    Elhrrah wrote: »
    Any experience on just how crappy of a connection you can play it with? I so totally need a new RTS to knock around with, but I don't exactly have the world's fastest internet.

What speed is your connection now? 1 Mbps / 512 kbps, entry level DSL would suffice. I think even 512 / 512 would be enough.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I still suck at StarCraft II so far. Got a little experience losing as a Zerg. It's just amazing how quickly most players can build up their armies.