Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    What do you think guys? Any name suggestions?

progress2.jpg
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey wrote: »
    What do you think guys? Any name suggestions?

progress2.jpg
    The thing that wraps around the head should definitely have a different color than the horns (BLU/RED team colored would work well) and reach a bit closer to the ears.

Texture might fit the art style better if it were a little cleaner as well

Otherwise pretty cool :)
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I realized the horns look a bit more noisy than I wanted...I'm going to clean the material a bit and I'll look into changing the color of the band :) Thanks!
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with textures.

SpySack06.jpg

SpySack07.jpg

Now to think up name brand smokes and wine to label onto my cigarettes box and wine bottle. Also will have to think up some cool badge designs.
  • KrookedSaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my little hat. It keeps your engineer warm and fuzzy on them cold ass missions.
    Thanks to everyone who gave me tips on how to get it working in game!
    engineerpompom0512-1.jpg
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    a gentlman wrote: »
    The thing that wraps around the head should definitely have a different color than the horns (BLU/RED team colored would work well) and reach a bit closer to the ears.

Texture might fit the art style better if it were a little cleaner as well

Otherwise pretty cool :)

Seconding this. I would also add a bit of gradient to the antlers as they are looking a little flat.

Also, Madd Hatter Scout hat Update! Getting near done. I've made RED BLU and neutral versions.

scoutmadhatrender2.jpg
    scoutmadhatrender.jpg
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Here's my little hat. It keeps your engineer warm and fuzzy on them cold ass missions.
    engineerpompom0512-1.jpg
    That is a beautiful hat!
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [snip]

Dat hat!

I really like it

It joins the Nappers and the Toque in my choice of winter-esque hats

But it looks just too relaxed for the Engineer maybe some kind of little hint of a workplace?

Because even his Railroad cap which isn't much a safety cap has some connection to a workplace and the same goes for the Ten Gallon.

Some form of workplace like say a small Wrench or even just a logo with a wrench on it would make it seem more Engy IMO

and possibly make the gap between hat and goggles smaller as it reveals an awful lot of his forehead which isn't done by any Engy hats
  • bestlame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bestlame polycounter lvl 8
    Hi all, I'm doing a heavy custom heavy's fist into foam finger previously shown on here

$cd "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\bestman99\team fortress 2\tf\models\v_foamfinger"
    $modelname "v_foamfinger\v_foamfinger.mdl"
    $model "v_foamfinger" "v_foamfinger.smd"
    $cdmaterials "models\v_foamfinger\"
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_lowerArm_L" -3.340 -15.180 -4.170 5.380 6.420 6.000
    $hbox 0 "bip_hand_L" -4.800 -8.730 -4.660 3.360 3.660 6.630
    $hbox 0 "bip_upperArm_R" -4.600 -0.800 -5.180 5.290 17.670 6.220
    $hbox 0 "bip_lowerArm_R" -4.600 -6.010 -6.830 4.120 15.180 4.380
    $hbox 0 "bip_hand_R" -3.360 -3.790 -6.630 4.800 8.330 4.660
    // Model uses material "models/player/hvyweapon/hvyweapon_hands.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models\v_foamfinger\heavymelee_red.vmt"
    $attachment "weapon_bone" "weapon_bone" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate -0.00 -0.00 -0.00
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition 32.259 1.877 -16.107
    $sequence swing_left "swing_left" ACT_VM_HITLEFT 1 fps 25.00 node raised
    $sequence swing_right "swing_right" ACT_VM_HITRIGHT 1 fps 25.00 node raised
    $sequence swing_crit "swing_crit" ACT_VM_SWINGHARD 1 fps 25.00 node raised
    $sequence idle "idle" ACT_VM_IDLE 1 fps 30.00 node raised
    $sequence draw "draw" ACT_VM_DRAW 1 fps 30.00 node raised {
    { event 5004 1 "Weapon_Fist.Draw" }
    { event 5004 5 "Weapon_Fist.HitHand" }
    }

The texture does not show up. Is this the correct way?
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bestlame wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm doing a heavy custom heavy's fist into foam finger previously shown on here

$cd "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\bestman99\team fortress 2\tf\models\v_foamfinger"
    $modelname "v_foamfinger\v_foamfinger.mdl"
    $model "v_foamfinger" "v_foamfinger.smd"
    $cdmaterials "models\v_foamfinger\"
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_lowerArm_L" -3.340 -15.180 -4.170 5.380 6.420 6.000
    $hbox 0 "bip_hand_L" -4.800 -8.730 -4.660 3.360 3.660 6.630
    $hbox 0 "bip_upperArm_R" -4.600 -0.800 -5.180 5.290 17.670 6.220
    $hbox 0 "bip_lowerArm_R" -4.600 -6.010 -6.830 4.120 15.180 4.380
    $hbox 0 "bip_hand_R" -3.360 -3.790 -6.630 4.800 8.330 4.660
    // Model uses material "models/player/hvyweapon/hvyweapon_hands.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models\v_foamfinger\heavymelee_red.vmt"
    $attachment "weapon_bone" "weapon_bone" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate -0.00 -0.00 -0.00
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition 32.259 1.877 -16.107
    $sequence swing_left "swing_left" ACT_VM_HITLEFT 1 fps 25.00 node raised
    $sequence swing_right "swing_right" ACT_VM_HITRIGHT 1 fps 25.00 node raised
    $sequence swing_crit "swing_crit" ACT_VM_SWINGHARD 1 fps 25.00 node raised
    $sequence idle "idle" ACT_VM_IDLE 1 fps 30.00 node raised
    $sequence draw "draw" ACT_VM_DRAW 1 fps 30.00 node raised {
    { event 5004 1 "Weapon_Fist.Draw" }
    { event 5004 5 "Weapon_Fist.HitHand" }
    }

The texture does not show up. Is this the correct way?
    did you asign the texture correctly in the smd?

Open it with Notepad and see if the texture is called the same as your .vmt

I think that should help

Do you mean checkerboard instead of regular texture?
    $cd "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\MarkPC\Desktop\Desperado\Output"
    $modelname "player\items\pyro\fireman_helmet.mdl"
    $model "Body" "fireman_helmet_reference.dmx.smd"
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\pyro\"
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
        { "Desperado" }
        { "Desperado_blue" }
    }
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_head" -5.625  -13.198  -4.108  5.645  0.727  6.954
    // Model uses material "models/player/items/pyro/Desperado.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models/player/items/pyro/Desperado_blue.vmt"
    $surfaceprop "cloth"
    $illumposition 3.583 0.010 78.024
    $sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00
    $collisionmodel "phymodel.smd" {

$mass 5.0
        $inertia 1.00
        $damping 0.00
        $rotdamping 0.00
    }

here's one of my qcs
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what maps does Valve accept in contributions? Just diffuse and specular?
    because I don't think I can do a shattered screen with only those two..

I'm also thinking the engravings should be more subtle and give them intensity in the Specular.
    I'm pretty newbie with textures and materials.
    z6ct5.jpg

also, I'm working at 2048 because there is too many details and tiny parts, when finished I will reduce it to 1024 (the size of the original gunslinger texture) but I don't see this texture fitting in 512...

Edit: does anyone know a good Scene setup to fake tf2 renders?

Edit2: I found this http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=984121.
    but it doesn't seem to react to scene lights and the render is grey
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arcaltarion: It needs a diffuse map, a normal map, and a ramp texture, and there are options to adopt scene lights near the bottom of the rollout although I haven't fiddled with them enough.
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey arcaitarion, I like 2A...coz looks more original than the others :)
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what a Ramp texture is? a 64x64 gradiend from black to white?
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might be able to squeeze that into 512* with some clever detail rescaling, aka the part the buttons are on won't need much resolution, neither will the small grey nubs, the engraved parts will need high resolution, etc...

Currently it still looks weirdly optimised to me though, there are some bits that just look like they could be textured on. How did your polycount end up?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6700 tris, almost the same as the gunslinger view model. I need to do a less detailed model for the world model. In theory I can still push the view model up to 8000 tris
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    engineerpompom0512-1.jpg
    That is a really cool hat and really well made, but I'm afraid it's a bit too similar to the Tough Guy's Toque to get in

Heavystocking.png
    But honestly yours is better, if you released it as a model change I'd download it :P

(although I would miss the firefly reference)
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a beautiful hat!

i like it :)
  • KrookedSaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh Yah... it's Jane's toque that his mom sent him! Hahaa. I actually didn't see that one before I started making mine Whuups... Oh well, it was a learning experience.

Does anyone know how to actually animate the camera in game using the console and/or demoui?

EDIT: ALSO, I've seen full character replacements in TF2 on youtube. Is the process pretty much the same as making custom hats?
    I realize it will require a full model to be built into the existing rig, re skinning (or 'weighting' for you maya users) and some sort of script to tell TF2 to use the custom model instead of their existing one. Anything else? Link me if you know where to find this info!

Thanks!
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some WIP of the texture with the TF2 shader for Max.

get the TF2 feeling with the textures Is harder than it looks D:

de4i74.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that he Coca Cola font? I like the look and style you're going for but fonts can cause all kinds of trademark and copyright issues, not to mention require textures to be pretty big in order to provide enough pixels to make it look good =|

Other than that, its looking good keep it up!
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hummmm.. not. it's not... but now that you mention it....

I guess I need another one...
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Oo is it a custom shader your workin on? awesome stuff !!
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik wrote: »
    Oo is it a custom shader your workin on? awesome stuff !!

nope. not mine

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=984121
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been fiddling around with the textures, trying to get it right and all that, and I just can't seem to get the feel correct without making it look like some sort of camo gun.

onocamo.jpg

Any ideas?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should try with edge highlights more contrasted and softer color strokes
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blasphemy, the textures are okay...except for the bullets :)
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    I think I finally found what kept it from looking presentable. The lip wasn't reading as a lip since it had no texture. Unless someone finds something seriously wrong with this I'll probably submit this one to valve.

rrssrcopy.jpg
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna redo this hat's texture tomorrow (bad UV), but here's a pic of it for you guys to judge anyway.

Korporate%20Kepi.png
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to working more on my minigun replacement. Beefed up the barrels to a level I'm a lot happier with (much too thin before, lots of negative space), exaggerated the end of the flash suppressor (a little hard to see from this angle), and reworked the shape of the frame a bit. Abandoned the idea of a more realistic handle with trigger, I felt the angle was a little awkward and the heavy's hand would cover it all of the time anyways

Obviously still need to finish the ammo belt, also still work to be done on the ammo box as well as attaching the minigun's frame to the box itself

minigunwip.jpg
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement wrote: »
    Gonna redo this hat's texture tomorrow (bad UV), but here's a pic of it for you guys to judge anyway.

i wouldn't put those square brush strokes on the brim like that, usually that type of stroke is only on metal objects. cloth usually just has some noise. it is an excellent model though.
  • szthesquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamo wrote: »
    Finally got around to working more on my minigun replacement. Beefed up the barrels to a level I'm a lot happier with (much too thin before, lots of negative space), exaggerated the end of the flash suppressor (a little hard to see from this angle), and reworked the shape of the frame a bit. Abandoned the idea of a more realistic handle with trigger, I felt the angle was a little awkward and the heavy's hand would cover it all of the time anyways

Obviously still need to finish the ammo belt, also still work to be done on the ammo box as well as attaching the minigun's frame to the box itself

minigunwip.jpg

Very nice. Will the barrels spin, and/or will the ammo belt be animated?
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The barrels will definitely spin, but the belt will probably not be animated (though I might try to jigglebone it)
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wouldn't put those square brush strokes on the brim like that, usually that type of stroke is only on metal objects. cloth usually just has some noise. it is an excellent model though.
    Well my good buddy Daimao made the texture (cept the shotguns), and I feel it just really works here. It looked reaaal boring without his touch:

finalhat.jpg
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement wrote: »
    Well my good buddy Daimao made the texture (cept the shotguns), and I feel it just really works here. It looked reaaal boring without his touch:

agreed, its rather bland without it, its just cloth usually don't look like that in TF2.
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe lose the brush strokes but keep the line that runs along the edge of the brim?

Looks great either way, seems like every time you guys make a hat I have to cross one off my "to do" list :)
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shotgun is now modeled, and I've baked out the AO and lightmap (the ingame shotguns have a lightmap in the texture).

I ended up not going for the shorter models, I couldn't figure out a way of having the pump pass over the barrel attachment without looking weird, or too fiddly for a TF2 model, so it's roughly the same length as the regular shotgun. Oddly it feels shorter in first person anyway...

ready_for_texture_by_elbagast-d32ecq7.png

I don't know what's going on with the lighting on the side of the light metal area in the first person view, I can't replicate the effect in the model viewer so it's probably a multiple light source artifact. That area's all flat anyway, so I'll probably just add some more geometry if it persists.

I found out testing this that the Pyro and Heavy are using c_shotgun now (since Mann-conomy) but oddly the Soldier doesn't, even though he has the animations for it in his arms model.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking real nice. What do you mean by lightmap though?
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the weapons have lighting baked into the texture, mostly the more gun-like guns. The upward facing areas are lighter than the downward facing areas, despite being the same colour. It's most obvious on the gun barrels since the cylindrical shape produces a gradient of light to dark. The Force-a-Nature and sniper rifle textures are good examples of it being easy to see.

If you want to see it done badly, look at the wood section of the rocket launcher, where the underside goes all the way to black...

I've never quite figured out how they've set it up but it's pretty easy to get close.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neodement How'd you get the mini shotguns to looks so refined? Oh, and I like the hat, it's very nice :)

@Elbagast I think you made the right choice with the design, and It did turn out nicely. The only improvements I can think of are that the fore grip looks a little plain (texture-wise) and could use a little something-something, and also that the front looks a little bare in the viewmodel. Not sure what could go there, maybe a sight for added interest, but I don't know if it would be practical on the gun :/
  • szthesquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm reposting this, since when I posted it I wasn't approved on the boards yet, and by the time the post was approved the thread had grown by five pages or so.

These are concepts for some radioactive Medic weapons.

The backpack has two radioactive rods that raise up as the Ubercharge rate increases.

The Medigun holds a chunk of radioactive material in claws at the end of the barrel. The barrel is glass and contains fans; the idea is that the fans push air over the radioactive rock and that produces the healing beam.

The radioactive bits on all the weapons should glow green, ideally, if that doesn't clash too much with TF2's normal art style.

Unfortunately I have zero modelling experience so this is probably never going to happen.

Radpack.jpg
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    @Neodement How'd you get the mini shotguns to looks so refined? Oh, and I like the hat, it's very nice :)

@Elbagast I think you made the right choice with the design, and It did turn out nicely. The only improvements I can think of are that the fore grip looks a little plain (texture-wise) and could use a little something-something, and also that the front looks a little bare in the viewmodel. Not sure what could go there, maybe a sight for added interest, but I don't know if it would be practical on the gun :/
    Render to texture, projection mapping (used the original shotguns as the thingy)
    aobake.jpg
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoD: That is an absolutely beautiful hat, it fits the soldier perfectly down to the theme and covered eyes, really hope it gets in, very nice work man :)

szTheSquid: Looks very exciting ^^
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally! I managed to get my gun ingame, and have it work with the animations. (The rigging was easier than I thought it would be)

svetlanaingame.jpg

Now all I have to do is make some tweaks with the bones so the barrel doesn't move so far back, mess around with the phong, and hopefully I will be able to submit it to Valve!
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now that I see it ingame.. Isn't it a bit tiny?
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @szthesquid: At first glance, I thought that set looked too futuristic, but after reading your description, I think it could work out really well :D I could see something like miniature cooling towers on the pack (think The Simpsons) :P
    @NeoDement: That's a great hat! Awesome idea :D I think the brim looks a bit too low poly, though. Just comes off as too square :)
    @Blasphemy: Nice work getting it in game! I do have to agree that it looks a bit small, but that may be fixed by just extending the barrel a bit :)
  • bestlame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bestlame polycounter lvl 8
    The Scrub wrote: »
    did you asign the texture correctly in the smd?

Open it with Notepad and see if the texture is called the same as your .vmt

I think that should help

Do you mean checkerboard instead of regular texture?

Hey Mr Scrub.

In maya i assign the VTF texture and export as smd and edit the qc. Still unable to view the texture in SDK-model viewer, but under the model it shows that VMT are loaded.

errorxk.jpg

Thanks
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    How do you guys recompile weapon since all animations are broken by the mdldecompiler ?
    I try to replace the heavy's minigun. It works for the world model but it goes funky with the viewmodel.
  • Panos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Image of Smoking Bandit*

The Smoking Bandit is designed for all classes. It can be used with other hats just like the medic mask. Comments and suggestions please.

I love it! Simple, yet completely appropriate in TF2 world! :D Can we get a downloadable model?
  • Panos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NeoDement I will buy this hat sir.