Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: btw i still need ideas for a third item for my coal mining pack

Well I drew a very quick (terrible) concept

flametrain.jpg?t=1288742377

It's based off of a coal train engine. I know its not that great (but that's what you get when you spend 7 minutes on it) but maybe you could get some ideas from it.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you open the viewmodel of the minigun you'll se that most of the gun is missing and the parts that are still there has alot of detail.
    as the new weapons use the same model to both views you should try to make it look good in both views
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Arcaltarion, that's what I figured.

Hand looks great btw ;).
  • Omny87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my latest attempt at a hat for the Demoman:

THE BEASTLY BERSERKERBeastlyBerzerkerRender02.jpg?t=1288747327
    Got the idea from reading about Celtic Berserkers, who would wear wolfskins into battle. It's not skinned; what you see here is a multi-subobject map in 3DS max. It's just a temporary placeholder before I do the actual skinning.

As you can see, my biggest problem is making it look nice and smooth. It's already over 1100 triangles and yet I still find flat spots, especially around the eyes.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Omny87, it could be interesting to analyse that new skull helmet from the last update, to see polycount/organisation of triangles. Will do the same for ma kurgan helmet.

I'm a bit shit at concepting but here's a first idea for the chainsaw, based on my 3d sketch fitting the minigun.
    heavy_chainzaw_da_3.jpg
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man seeing all this stuff made me wish I enter the contest earlier.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I know it's a bit generic, but I still haven't seen one made yet so I decided to do it.

santahat_01.jpg

santahat_groupshot.jpg

Looking for any last minute crits before I submit tomorrow. I might try out some styles of painting of fur on the white parts to make it a bit more interesting than AO + Noise.

Also do you think the ball should be jiggled?
  • Mutated
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't bother with jigglebones. Not everything has to wobble, it looks just fine as it is.

Unfortunately, dollars to donuts says that you're not even the tenth person to submit a Santa hat. Good luck anyway!
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noors, that is the coolest thing iv seen in my life! alot of people don't use color when they concept, but this is much much better! it simply pops more! i hope ittl turn out just like the concept, i can't wait to rip scouts apart with this beatifull thing :)
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got the hat but there's some weird dark triangles that I can't get rid of
    cpbadlands0001.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    @The Scrub: Can we see your wireframe?
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zipfinator

Nice work, and yes I think the ball should be jiggleboned like the Napper's Respite :)

Everyone likes jigglebones :D
  • Omny87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell, I think EVERYTHING should have jigglebones. Weapons, tools, hats, buildings, control points, entire maps! Everything should wiggle and jiggle!

JIGGLEBONES!

GLORIOUS JIGGLEBONES!

Seriously though, that'd be funny. Imagine Heavy running around with a big floppy minigun.

Also, how do I look at the new weapons? I thought GCFscape didn't work because of the halloween update. Or did they fix that?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Download GCF Explorer it worked for me
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omny87 wrote: »
    Hell, I think EVERYTHING should have jigglebones. Weapons, tools, hats, buildings, control points, entire maps! Everything should wiggle and jiggle!

JIGGLEBONES!

GLORIOUS JIGGLEBONES!

Seriously though, that'd be funny. Imagine Heavy running around with a big floppy minigun.

Also, how do I look at the new weapons? I thought GCFscape didn't work because of the halloween update. Or did they fix that?

I think you need to redownload GCFscape because that worked for me.

I'll post wires soon but I think it's a problem with the way the triangles are split from quads.

Anyone got any ideas how to tie one mesh to two bones like the attendant?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In 3ds Max shouldn't a skin modifier do the job?
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    gcfscape is fixed as of 2 nights ago.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey wrote: »
    @The Scrub: Can we see your wireframe?

will this work?

wires4.jpg

It looks fine on that image but in game it's got those weird tris
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    you should probably make 2 smoothing groups (maybe 3 to split the entire gray strip) or split the uv where the fold is.
  • Smack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smack polycounter lvl 18
    Scrub, also maybe check your texture map... are those tris uv'd next to each other, or on different areas that might have a slight color shift?
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smack wrote: »
    Scrub, also maybe check your texture map... are those tris uv'd next to each other, or on different areas that might have a slight color shift?
    Noors wrote: »
    you should probably make 2 smoothing groups (maybe 3 to split the entire gray strip) or split the uv where the fold is.

the grey area is on a different part of the UV
    This'd normally all be quads but I split those up

I'm kind of new to modeling like this so how do I make multiple smoothing groups?

Forget it

I believe I solved my problem in a rather unintuitive way.

You see, the grey hatband seemed to be throwing shadows on those specific Tris so I deleted the faces on the band of the hat.
    I am quite ashamed but the deed is done and now I'm off to completely wreck the game with this monstrosity of a hat, as soon as I get it ingame again

oh and as far as compiling goes, does anyone know what a bbox is?

EDIT: I believed I had solved the problem but somewhere along the compiling the error popped right back ingame again so no I have not solved the weird triangle problem
  • KrowKoDiLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I know it's a bit generic, but I still haven't seen one made yet so I decided to do it.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/76415

And I also saw this somewhere (Sorry for bad quality) : 8f160ddb7fa68987ac4393909fcd8.png

But your Santa Hat is the most beautifull, I think. Make it jiggleboned and make a BLU one and it would be perfect.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ The Scrub: bbox refers to the bounding box. As the valve wiki puts it:

"an axis-aligned bounding box used by the AI to detect collisions with the world, mostly for movement purposes."
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey wrote: »
    @ The Scrub: bbox refers to the bounding box. As the valve wiki puts it:

"an axis-aligned bounding box used by the AI to detect collisions with the world, mostly for movement purposes."

so my collision models are wrong...

thanks for that, so now I know I have to seperate the collison models and bind them both to the two bones involved because currently only one bone is used.

Cue Heavy

MINI TANKS!

Except my proposed method doesn't work any suggestions on fixes?
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Currently blocking in another weapon, this one is for the demoman, the Big Bombs Launcher:
    bigbombslauncherblocking.jpg
    Should work similiar to the grenade launcher but does much bigger explosions, les distance and has to get reload after every shot. I guess the animation requiered gives it a bad chance to get in the game. That spiral launch pad should jump forward on pulling the trigger and launching the bomb with it. The whole front part can rotate upwards, could be for recoil absorbtion or it just rotates quickly upwards while shooting, so the bomb flys through the air in a very curved angle.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is epic, Davision. I think this has a very good chance of getting in, regardless of custom animations.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bars above the handle are going to go straight through his hand...
  • Smack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smack polycounter lvl 18
    Elbagast has a good point about the bars, you could either just remove them, or offset them to one side to clear the arm & wrist if you really want to keep them.

Scrub - another thing you could check is with your texture map, if the uv scale of those dark tris might be off from the rest of the brim, perhaps too small or distorted.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monkeez wrote: »
    I managed to put together a video of my Flail for the demoman in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27CA8Ktje_k

@Noors: Yeah you might be right, I'll try upping the AO for those areas and see how it looks.
    Hey, sorry for being a bit late with this reply.

I just wanted to suggest making him hold it like the bottle rather than the Eyelander.
    I just think the Bottle's onehanded fighting stance would fit it a lot better, as seeing it swung straight downwards and the ball flying above his head when he's running just looks very strange.

The bottle animations would make the Demoman swing the flail more, and I think he would look a bit less silly when he's running with it.
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @davision : holy shit thats awesome. i think the style you made the flare gun and this one fit the tf2 style perfectly. the first time i saw the picture i imagened it working just like your description below. as for the ammo, i think the bomb you blocked in looks a little bit too generic. it does tottaly suits the demoman , howevver id love to see something more over the top, like empty bottles of scrumpy with a fuse or something :). mayby somekind of molotov cocktail with a huge fireblast on impacact
  • TankTaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to disagree with lampekap above me here and "speak up" a bit:
    Davision3D, your freeze gun and this Big Bombs Launcher are really looking great, top notch work, but I must say they look more like something out of Ratchet & Clank than TF2. By that I mean they look fabricated, designed somewhere in a close future by an excentric inventor with lots of time, rather than created from scraps by a mercenary in a time of need back in a stylized '68. I mean, the cleanliness, the tiny logos and symbols, the huge amount of angular, circular shapes and details and the size of things. Again, I see Ratchet & Clank (another franchise I do love) not Team Fortress 2 (the game that is supposed to use the models).

Then again, one could argue that Valve themselves threw the art direction out the windowover a year ago, the old "caricaturish" and stylized now equals the general notion of "cartoony", and my words do not hold any significance or truth since I am but a beginner when it comes to modeling and the like. But it is an opinion, and I have the right to express it, don't I?

Anyway, I really like the flail I saw earlier and the steampunkish Gunslinger replacement (and a whole lot of other things way back in the thread). Keep up the good work, fellas! I hope I'l be able to join in on the fun too.
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D:

It really is well made and all, but I do agree with TankTaur, your weapons are a bit too sci-fi so I am doubtful that Valve would actually put it in game.

But if you're just doing this for fun and not Contribute! then I really do encourage you to go on, because I really like seeing your creative ideas ^^
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having some problems with painting on my santa hat. When in game testing the painting, no matter what color paint I use it shows up as white in the preview window. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've checked my painting parameters in the .vmt and they're similar to what I used for my Scuba Goggles and painting on that worked.
    "$blendtintbybasealpha" "1" 
        "$blendtintcoloroverbase" "1"   // between 0-1 determines how much blended by tinting vs. replacing the color

"$colortint_base" "{172 51 54}"  // put the RGB value of whats being colored when no paint is present, if $blendtintcoloroverbase is 0 then put [1 1 1] here.
        "$colortint_tmp" "[0 0 0]"

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx autokey

@ elbgast
    yea see that too now, have not put in account that he holds it mostly from the top. Might try getting that to the side like suggested.

@ lampekap
    thx!
    yea the bomb is very basic. Need to get it more cool but still ball based and do something else then a fuse because it doesnt make so much sense with how the grenade launcher works.

@ TankTaur
    Well most of the standard weapons are very grounded like shotgun, pistol etc. but if you look at the medic for instance he always had also fancy weapons which have nothing similiar in real world. Team Fortress 2 was always very cartoon like for me and I think its a world where crazy weapons easily fit in. I agree that the freeze gun has a more futuristic look, though its still basicly build up. Considering that freeze shooting gun sounds like a fancy invention it could just be made by a crazy scientist in that time. Dont think the bombs launcher looks futuristic, in fact its even more basic then the original grenader launcher! I mean the big basic bombs get launched by a spiral! :)
    IMO it would be nice to have even more unique weapons in the game then just more similiar or grounded looking ones.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Davision,

I have to agree with TankTaur, While your stuff is always technically superb, i feel the style you have going so far doesn't fit very well with TF2. It's beyond the stylistic conventions of TF2.
    but if you look at the medic for instance he always had also fancy weapons which have nothing similiar in real world.

I agree there is a fair bit of invention in TF2's weaponry, however while alot of the items don't actually exist in the real world, they are always heavily based on a real world objects. Mostly fused together from different sources.

For example the Medigun as you were mentioning. The medigun its heavily based on a fire hoze nozzle.

250px-RED_Medigun.png
    bluedevilnozzle1.jpg

Or for example the sentry gun, is heavily based on a minigun and heavy machine gun tripods.

400px-Sentry_gun.jpg
    m1342.jpg

It most cases, however outrageous or shy a design may be, its always good practice to ground ideas with appropriate real world references.

Just thought i might try to help, your work is great!
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know how I could go about optimizing the UV face layout of my model? Currently, I'm thinking that I've split up the gun into way too many pieces.

UV in question: somanylittleuvsonthisteam.jpg

Just before anyone asks. This is my current arrangement of the UV faces. The one blender wanted me to do had the important faces scaled down to the point of only getting 1/100th of the page.

Gun for reference (I doubt anyone is going to understand exactly which faces go where, but I'm sure some are pretty obvious) testao_svetlana.jpg
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    Davision, that looks awesome - I love the freeze gun

Why does it remind me of Ratchet and Clank
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YAY guys, new pormotional minigun for the heavy

poker-night-at-the-inventory-20101103012544500-000.jpgpoker-night-at-the-inventory-20101103012542344.jpg
  • Smack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smack polycounter lvl 18
    Blasphemy - you can overlap repetitive parts to let them share the same uv coordinates/mapping, or you can split the mapping up into separate uv maps that might give you better use of your texture space. Overlap needs to be done with your ao mapping taken into consideration. On one hand it makes sense to have all the bullets share the same texture, but that means you will lose the shading that is distinct to each one. If done right, no one else will likely ever notice, and it will cut down on the work you have to do as well.

<edit> looking at your map again, you may already have overlapped the obvious. Take another look at all your parts and see if there are any other elements that could share the same texture space... stuff like handles and bars of metal/bolts could all reference the same block of color and just be stacked up.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @smack: isn't overlay stuff a problem if you wanna do an AO map?
    edit: Penny Arcade Watches.

poker-night-at-the-inventory-20101103012538094_640w.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @smack: isn't overlay stuff a problem if you wanna do an AO map?

Not always. If it is, you could just detach half of the overlapping faces and bake so only one of the overlapping parts would render AO.

Also are these promotional items you're posting for TF2 or that weird poker game?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can get it playing the game(not as in promotional but as in playing the game and winning) and they unlock in Team fortress 2
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    larolaro wrote: »
    Davision,

I have to agree with TankTaur, While your stuff is always technically superb, i feel the style you have going so far doesn't fit very well with TF2. It's beyond the stylistic conventions of TF2.

I agree there is a fair bit of invention in TF2's weaponry, however while alot of the items don't actually exist in the real world, they are always heavily based on a real world objects. Mostly fused together from different sources.

For example the Medigun as you were mentioning. The medigun its heavily based on a fire hoze nozzle.

250px-RED_Medigun.png
    bluedevilnozzle1.jpg

Or for example the sentry gun, is heavily based on a minigun and heavy machine gun tripods.

400px-Sentry_gun.jpg
    m1342.jpg

It most cases, however outrageous or shy a design may be, its always good practice to ground ideas with appropriate real world references.

Just thought i might try to help, your work is great!

ha, didnt see that with the fire hoze! :) Still very futuristing looking what comes out of it.
    I think i try to make the bomb launcher look more put together of different grounded stuff and simplify it more.
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't bother with messing around with smoothgroups in blender to make it look right. It will disappear after you add textures. Example from a quick screenshot of my gun:

smoothnotex.jpg
    smoothwithtex.jpg

Just be sure to have smoothing enabled, and all will be good.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Veerek, not sure how it works in blender but look for some sort of select by element mode. That way you'll be able to select the hat as once piece and delete it.

No one has any ideas on why the painting isn't working on my Santa hat? I've been messing around with it for the past hour and I can't get it to paint any color other than white.
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the painting being done in something like photoshop? Maybe you have photoshop set to paint in black and white, instead of color?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blasphemy wrote: »
    Is the painting being done in something like photoshop? Maybe you have photoshop set to paint in black and white, instead of color?

I don't mean painting as in painting on a texture. I mean painting as in you apply a can of paint to the item in game to color it. I think I'm just going to submit it like this and let Valve sort it out if they choose it. I'm sure they've run into this issue and know exactly what the problem is and after messing with it for 2 hours I haven't gotten anywhere.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blasphemy wrote: »
    Don't bother with messing around with smoothgroups in blender to make it look right. It will disappear after you add textures. Example from a quick screenshot of my gun:

smoothnotex.jpg
    smoothwithtex.jpg

Just be sure to have smoothing enabled, and all will be good.

Your gun looks better without the smoothing tbh...
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated the design of the bolt on my shotgun to look somewhat like that of the BAR, then when I thought about making it animated I wondered what it look like if the slide could protrude from the gun when pumped:

feature_testing_by_elbagast-d32406g.png

The extruding slide is a feature of a real gun, the Winchester 1897 pump action, which is also known as a trench gun...a real army shotgun...

Design wise nothing's final yet, I wanted to see what this feature would look like animated. Anybody think this is a little too far?...or not?
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    Hey, sorry for being a bit late with this reply.

I just wanted to suggest making him hold it like the bottle rather than the Eyelander.
    I just think the Bottle's onehanded fighting stance would fit it a lot better, as seeing it swung straight downwards and the ball flying above his head when he's running just looks very strange.

The bottle animations would make the Demoman swing the flail more, and I think he would look a bit less silly when he's running with it.

I've already submitted it now but I just tested it out now to see what it'd look like. It looks pretty good in thirdperson, it does swing around a lot more and it looks really cool when he jumps. However in firstperson half of the animations look horrible with it :(.