Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Heinz, I hope you're planning to redo that in a different modeling program, because as it is, it's going to have an outrageous polycount. What class is it for?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I ran through the 261 pages twice and i didnt find it. Not saying the page is in hungarian for some reason :|
    It's creepled by random garbage. Give people liberty, and they do nothing but shit with it.
    Too bad intersting stuff are gettin lost in the middle.

Welcom Dr.Heinz. I do think Sketchup is interesting for concepting, but yeah, at some point you'll need to switch on a "real" modeler. Dno what's your plan with it tho.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a 6 round sniper rifle, sort of borderlands inspired. Continue, its a very interesting concept.

edit: noors, your chainsaw is on the first spot when sorting by heavy. :p

SgtR007 wrote:
    Part of the problem is that the tube is supposed to be shiny steel, almost chrome, which does not translate well to TF2.
    either or both of these should help you, but you probably already know that.
    $phongexponenttexture [texture]

$envmapmask <texture>
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »
    Heinz, I hope you're planning to redo that in a different modeling program, because as it is, it's going to have an outrageous polycount. What class is it for?

Yes, plan to do it in blender (last time i downloaded 3DS max it gave me a hella virus, had to reformat) and actually that right there is 7500 tri's :P. This was originally done for the first polycount contribute contest, but.....I don't know how to unwrap for the life of me and everyone I asked politely (hell, I even offered to pay a few 20 bucks to do it) and kept getting no's. I have tons of models I've done in sketchup I need to convert to obj files so i can put them in blender/3ds max and work on them. Yeah, I feel bad for not getting this done sooner, but god, I cannot wrap my head around the more "professional" 3d programs, lol. I can whip out 20 models a day in sketchup, but I have a hell of a time just drawing a box in anything else. I can texture, that's easy for me, since I've been working to be a comic book colorist for the last....decade? Yeah, not getting far on that front either, reason I need to get some things into TF2 so I can pay bills, lol.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't talk about warez on the forum my man. because we all TOTALLY BOUGHT our programs.

if you need help LEGALLY OBTAINING a program then I suggestion asking how to LEGALLY OBTAIN said program. I've LEGALLY OBTAINED my program multiple times and if you need help, I can help you LEGALLY OBTAIN yours :)

That flamethrower is amazing my man but I'd suggest adding some sort of... thing? :P to accelerate the flames coming from the can? Otherwise the only viable option I can see for it in game would be a weapon that has very little flame damage but due to the paint, has a very long afterburn.

Though sadly we don't have a say in stats :(
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face wrote: »
    I wouldn't talk about warez on the forum my man. because we all TOTALLY BOUGHT our programs.

if you need help LEGALLY OBTAINING a program then I suggestion asking how to LEGALLY OBTAIN said program. I've LEGALLY OBTAINED my program multiple times and if you need help, I can help you LEGALLY OBTAIN yours :)

That flamethrower is amazing my man but I'd suggest adding some sort of... thing? :P to accelerate the flames coming from the can? Otherwise the only viable option I can see for it in game would be a weapon that has very little flame damage but due to the paint, has a very long afterburn.

Though sadly we don't have a say in stats :(

Sure man, how do I LEGALLY obtain those vunderful programs? >.>
  • Sexy Robot
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /vote freeze "sexy robot" 1 month

<_<

Stop it. while its amazing how much work you pump out its also discouraging. >:[
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it is kind of a buzz kill you whip out these models so fast while some of us are still having trouble making our first one:P.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    Practice makes perfect you guys.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reworked shield a bit.
    soldier_berserker_shield_04.jpg
    soldier_berserker_shield_05.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Can someone make it clear to me.

If I make a large change to the submission, do I have to re-upload a NEW file or do I just do a REVISION? I've seen some people re-upload and say this is the new version.

Alright Ronin. Cheers.
  • roninsmastermix
    Baddcog wrote: »
    New Pyro hat

pyro_jester_cap.jpg

I'm finding this submission process to be very annoying. If you zip stuff up like the new compiler would organize it then you have to redo your vmt's so the path is correct for the extra folders under user name.
    The manifest makes no sense other than telling Valve where you like to keep your files.

It just uses the base model for the collision, so you can't even optimize that.

If you have a z up program, then you can't use the auto skin without major hassles. If you don't use the auto skin it doesn't compile correctly. If you do use it you can only use head bone, no jiggle bones, etc...
    Using it doesn't compile vmt's with color swap info.

It's just a very raw, un thought out process imo.

Why can't we just compile it under a name, test it, zip what it needs and call it good? If we give them a good vtf, why do they need a tga, it's the same exact thing.
    The atuo compile doesn't zip up PSD's and TGA's don't have layers...

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    lol, then on top of that..

my 2 new submissions don't show anywhere right now. One of my submissions from last week is on the 'new submissions' page with 0 stars, but on my page it still has 5 stars and 40 some votes.

Here's what i do. I use the itemtest without auto skinning for the head. Then i close it. I go to the model folder and tweak the QC to use my original .smd files and original materials. I put my materials where itemtest wants them to be and recompile using GUIstudio. All done in less than 5 mins. Ship everything in the zip and submit.

It takes getting used to but at least i have full freedom of my model and rigging. Valve has said that IT WILL AFFECT your chances of getting the item in game if their scripts couldn't open your files for testing. You don't have to use the itemtest but at least try to follow it's structure.
  • roninsmastermix
    Habboi wrote: »
    Can someone make it clear to me.

If I make a large change to the submission, do I have to re-upload a NEW file or do I just do a REVISION? I've seen some people re-upload and say this is the new version.

You need just to launch TF2. Go to the workshop. Edit the item you want to update. Upload a new zip file and update your preview pic. done.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Round 3.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3093

Third item stolen by same guy.

edit: Not that I expect anything but I emailed the overlords so that they can hopefully be removed. If it were up to me I'd VAC ban the lot of them.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    Habboi wrote: »
    Round 3.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3093

Third item stolen by same guy.

Haha, now he's stolen 2 of my things.
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I submit mine even though it's no where near complete so I can say at least it's mine?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    No? Unless you've released it as a mod? Otherwise having the source files (.max/.obj) proves you are the owner.

edit: Indeed.
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okie dokie, thanks for letting me know. It's better to be sure and ask the stupid question than not having it asked at all.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reworked this rocket backpack a bit with a hacked, slashed, and broken (did i mention hacked?) uvmap and texture.

rocketpack_mk2_01.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Ronin,

I'm probably going to have to redo/resubmit ALL my stuff :(

What are you doing about the diffuse tex? I noticed compiling with the new tool renames it mytexture_color. In which case you have to rename it, reapply in 3d, re-export...
    Or areyou just deleting the _color part and keeping the original name?
  • roninsmastermix
    Thanks Ronin,

I'm probably going to have to redo/resubmit ALL my stuff :(

What are you doing about the diffuse tex? I noticed compiling with the new tool renames it mytexture_color. In which case you have to rename it, reapply in 3d, re-export...
    Or areyou just deleting the _color part and keeping the original name?

The most efficient way to do it is to simply edit the qc to include your original texture names. Recompile and you should be good to go. That's what i did. Believe me, resubmitting 30 items is not a fun endeavor.

Update.
    6285955697_63ece17922_b.jpg
    5 down, 4 to go.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    Haha, now he's stolen 2 of my things.

how though is he getting your files.

should'nt olny you and valve have the compiled and the source files?
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    word.

also very wippy hacked, slashed, and incomplete textures. axe is almost done, but that shield... >_>
    Viking_gear_axe_shield_01.jpg

EDIT:

Nearing the finish line. Well, i'm more than halfway, so yes, nearing the finish. ^_^
    F4AA16FCB0EF19181CC24D9EFE264F9DADC60E81
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dr. Heinz wrote: »
    Sure man, how do I LEGALLY obtain those vunderful programs? >.>

Hello Dr. Heinz and anybody that would like to legally obtain licenses for any Autodesk product like 3ds Max, Maya, Mudbox, Softimage or any of the architectural and engineering software that they make.

First you will need to decide if you are a "student" OR "unemployed".
    You may be both but pick one for now.
    Then you must decide which application you would like to try first.

If you picked "Student" go here:
    http://students.autodesk.com/

If you are "Unemployed" go here:
    http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=assistance_landing

I used to work for Autodesk and the whole point of getting these tools in your hands is to get you up to speed on the latest versions of their software.
    (you will notice that earlier versions are NOT available)

Once you register and share your data with Autodesk you will be rewarded with licenses of your software(s) of choice.
    I am not sure if the licenses are for 13 months or 3 years at this point, but it does not matter too much because you can just go back next year and get the latest versions.

Then once you have mastered your 3d application world and you are rolling in fresh piles of $100 bills you can pony up and buy the software of your choice.
    Even though 3D software looks expensive on the surface it is actually one of the least expensive components in the whole 3d pipeline; the most expensive one being your time.
    (unless you only pay yourself minimum wage)

There are plenty of other non-Autodesk solutions as well so don't be afraid to seek those out either.
    The important thing in choosing a 3d tool is finding one that you feel comfortable with and has a workflow that mostly makes sense to you. If you try and force yourself to use 3ds Max, Maya or Softimage and you find yourself hating the app try another one. Get comfortable before you invest a huge chunk of your life into learning your chosen 3d software.
    It would also be good career-wise to know your way around both 3ds Max and Maya regardless of which application you decide upon, since 3ds Max and Maya tend to be the standards (like it or not) in 3d jobs.

I hope this helps.

Best
    Mark
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DMark wrote: »
    Hello Dr. Heinz and anybody that would like to legally obtain licenses for any Autodesk product like 3ds Max, Maya, Mudbox, Softimage or any of the architectural and engineering software that they make.

First you will need to decide if you are a "student" OR "unemployed".
    You may be both but pick one for now.
    Then you must decide which application you would like to try first.

If you picked "Student" go here:
    http://students.autodesk.com/

If you are "Unemployed" go here:
    http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=assistance_landing

I used to work for Autodesk and the whole point of getting these tools in your hands is to get you up to speed on the latest versions of their software.
    (you will notice that earlier versions are NOT available)

Once you register and share your data with Autodesk you will be rewarded with licenses of your software(s) of choice.
    I am not sure if the licenses are for 13 months or 3 years at this point, but it does not matter too much because you can just go back next year and get the latest versions.

Then once you have mastered your 3d application world and you are rolling in fresh piles of $100 bills you can pony up and buy the software of your choice.
    Even though 3D software looks expensive on the surface it is actually one of the least expensive components in the whole 3d pipeline; the most expensive one being your time.
    (unless you only pay yourself minimum wage)

There are plenty of other non-Autodesk solutions as well so don't be afraid to seek those out either.
    The important thing in choosing a 3d tool is finding one that you feel comfortable with and has a workflow that mostly makes sense to you. If you try and force yourself to use 3ds Max, Maya or Softimage and you find yourself hating the app try another one. Get comfortable before you invest a huge chunk of your life into learning your chosen 3d software.
    It would also be good career-wise to know your way around both 3ds Max and Maya regardless of which application you decide upon, since 3ds Max and Maya tend to be the standards (like it or not) in 3d jobs.

I hope this helps.

Best
    Mark

Thank you very much^_^. 3DS Max was less of a headache than Blender. I can't even figure out how to turn the camera in Blender (and no, I haven't watched the tutorials yet:P. The camera should be easy to find-.-.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Hey all. Thought I would try my hand at some TF2 stuff as well. Been having fun with it so far. What do you guys think? Its gonna be a steampunk Engineer set. For textures think dark woods and bronze/steel filigree all over it. Hope you like! =]

EngiSet_1.jpg
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    evilblah wrote: »
    Hey all. Thought I would try my hand at some TF2 stuff as well. Been having fun with it so far. What do you guys think? Its gonna be a steampunk Engineer set. For textures think dark woods and bronze/steel filigree all over it. Hope you like! =]

EngiSet_1.jpg
    I love how you are going completely overboard with the gears. Looks really nice.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Trying to rig this misc for the Spy, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I can't figure out how to get everything to deform over the Spy mesh.

Screen_shot_2011-10-27_at_2.57.09_PM.png
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    Is anyone having trouble with itemtest? It decided 3 days ago to stop working. I launch it, but nothing happens. :/
    The processes shuts down immediately. I already tried uninstalling and installing it again. No luck, though :C
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    It recently updated for me. It now shows Source Engine MP instead of 2009. Maybe you're just out dated?

That said, I've had fuck all luck skinning my meshes with 3DS Max to work inside TF2. I've downloaded the character meshes, so my scale is fine, but the orientation of my item is always backwards and off by a good distance in-game, so I have to play this game of guessing where to put it inside 3DS Max. It's like a shitty game of trial and error to thread a needle with a 50ft pole. I can't get any of the skin weighting to reach in-game. My only option is to assign everything to the fucking head through itemtest, and my items aren't meant for the head.

I've been importing the SMDs and exporting SMDs, but that's not done jack shit to fix my problem. (Yes, this is annoying me.)
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @re.wind
    I like the idea of a viking shield for the Soldier... but I'd go with a different pattern... the "4 sections, 2 colors" style just feels too much like the Charge n Targe... I know, it's a totally different color, it's for the Soldier, and it's not EXACTLY the same, but I remember you posted a picture with a ton of Viking shields.
    I think it'd looks awesome with a team colored base, then a symmetrical design (check the picture to see what I mean), and maybe some gold detailing.
    just my 2 cents though.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eedobaba7726 and PatrickL,

one response as answer is kind of the same...

decompile the character mesh and import into max (the reference model without LOD#) (use mdl decompiler - the downloadable meshes don't have the rigs skinned to the meshes)

Be sure to check 'change from Left hand coord space' so he'll be rightside up (in Max at least). Blender i guess you don't need to do that.

Also make sure when you import 'skin weights' is checked.

Then you should be able to click skin modifier (Max here but Blender should be similar) and you can select verts and see what weights they are. Use the same weights for verts in same areas on your model.

Only add and export the bones your model uses. No need for any others to be involved. The bones don't need to be attached to each other. They don't need cenetered on grid or anything. They just need to stay relative to each other and the base mesh.

Seems Valve is pretty keen on even weights too.
    Like the foot bone will have 1 row of verts 1.0, weight, the next row is .75, the next is .25 and the next is 1.0 on the toe.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eedobaba7726 and PatrickL,

one response as answer is kind of the same...

decompile the character mesh and import into max (the reference model without LOD#) (use mdl decompiler - the downloadable meshes don't have the rigs skinned to the meshes)

Be sure to check 'change from Left hand coord space' so he'll be rightside up (in Max at least). Blender i guess you don't need to do that.

Also make sure when you import 'skin weights' is checked.

Then you should be able to click skin modifier (Max here but Blender should be similar) and you can select verts and see what weights they are. Use the same weights for verts in same areas on your model.

Only add and export the bones your model uses. No need for any others to be involved. The bones don't need to be attached to each other. They don't need cenetered on grid or anything. They just need to stay relative to each other and the base mesh.

Seems Valve is pretty keen on even weights too.
    Like the foot bone will have 1 row of verts 1.0, weight, the next row is .75, the next is .25 and the next is 1.0 on the toe.

Can't speak for Patrick, but I don't have 3ds Max.
    Setting weights for the verts is extremely troublesome. It looks like they're set well, but I get results like I posted at the top of the page. Buttons on the shirt move out of place, colliding with the shirt, the shirt itself collapses in on itself...
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BanthaFodder, thanks.

The targe actually used to have team colours, but that got removed for readability issues.
    From Tf2 wiki
    Prior to the April 28, 2010 Patch, the Targe featured team-colored paint on its front and a team-colored pad on its back. The current Orange paint aids easy visual identification at a distance.

Like this.

demoman1215091260925640.jpg

On one side, the viking shield is reasonably larger than the targe, more visible from distance, and the large team-coloured area should make identifying and categorising the threat easier. On the other side, the fact that the shield is team-coloured makes it blend more easily with the team-coloured players around it, leading to a possible readability issue at distance.

Hence, I'm probably going to stick with the black and yellow colours for readability purposes (at all ranges) and will need to look for a fitting colour pattern.

@eedobaba7726: I can only agree with your problems of getting a skinned model to work with the bones. I've tried it myself several times only to get catastrophically unpredictable results.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't speak for Patrick, but I don't have 3ds Max.
    Setting weights for the verts is extremely troublesome. It looks like they're set well, but I get results like I posted at the top of the page. Buttons on the shirt move out of place, colliding with the shirt, the shirt itself collapses in on itself...

You have Blender right? That's why i tried to make a point which points were for each program. Either way i think they have the same functions, you just have different names in blender for stuff.

The next question would be, do your edge loops align with the spys edge loops? If yours don't line up exactly then they just aren't going to deform the same. You can either add loops to align exactly or remodel to align better.

Really the best way to be sure is to clone the spy shirt, push it out and then modify as needed, basically leaving that outside the originals.

When I made my pyro clown boots (since they are part of an accessory figuring they couldn't be swapped like a weapon) I did a new model, but i matched the faces face for face but just a bit outside the original geometry. Then I used the same exact vert weights and they dont clip at all. For a while i was using my own weights and always had a little clip here and there.
  • Krisbam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krisbam polycounter lvl 7
    Working on a set for the Sniper, probably already been done but I'm doing it for my own enjoyment :)
    vwmPI.png
    (Tiny picture, very WIP. Just started an hour ago)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to baddcog's post which piqued my interest, i went on a quest to find out how to save/load vertex weights (so i could work with a simple edit poly, re-apply the weights as often as i want to, and not have a messy modifier stack) and can now continue working on my previously-shelved viking trousers (and boots). :D
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Doesn't the student 3dsmax have a non-commercial clause on its usage rights? It could conflict heavily with the TF2 Contribute legal agreement, which is strictly commercial use...
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    PatrickL wrote: »
    It recently updated for me. It now shows Source Engine MP instead of 2009. Maybe you're just out dated?

Strange... I had to re-install the SDK twice. Then I tried to launch TF2 and it started verifying files, after that I was able to launch itemtest again.

By the way, has anyone figured out how to make items paintable? Itemtest does nothing but add a "To Do: Make Paintable" comment to the vmt file. lol.

Oh! And I was finally able to submit the new Pyro misc item, the LeVar's LaMent:
    (Thanks to reddit user "brooklynbrett" for the great name)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3133
    CU0I6.jpg
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to those who's workshop submissions made it into the TF2 Halloween update!
  • KevinLongtime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to anyone who got their item/s in. You can see all the stuff that made it in already right here http://tf2b.com/itemlist.php
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "AWESOME! HALLOWEEN UPDATE! let's see what's in the store..."
    *checks store*
    "YES! the Pyro ghost head got in! I may just have to pick that and the Skull up..."
    *sees costume bundles*
    "heh, they named the Fly one "The Brundle Bundle"... wait... what's that..."
    *sees the Sniper one*
    "Camper... Van... Helsing... VALVE. USED. MY. NAME. OH. MY. GOD."

just... OH MY GOD...
  • Evil0live
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Doughnut Beat

I absolutely love how your set is coming together! Reminds me a lot of this song video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914 Perhaps you should make the glasses frames white to match the helmet?

@SgtR007

Decided to stick with the handle bar eh? If you think the textures are too dull perhaps put some accidental 'spray paint' on the texture itself? I can see some few faint ones, perhaps darker ones to make it more noticeable? Looks awesome regardless!
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really bummed they included a Scout flip-flop replacement that's so similar to mine. Oh well.

Anyway, just threw a new medic hat together since I haven't seen a similar one out there. I'm sure it's been done before, though. WIP:

90FE47F88DC0994631C7FF4BA2923F9ABAC21AEAB46869AFADC8F1BAE2997FC4ECDD19B771D67CB67808A4AF6998D74CC76E60D5A5FC8E510B6C7D486887E5EDBB9E486B0E495476BD2097EBAD9EFBB8

Kinda simple as it stands. Though I suppose a lot of hats are. Crits/suggestions? Think I'll call it the "Sterile Scrubcap". It's paintable with settings that are identical to the mask.

*EDIT* As for the flamethrower, yeah I decided to try a whole new chassis to give the model a more unique shape. I think if I could get the texture down the final model would look better than the original. I'll probably end up submitting them both to the workshop. I really need some more color on the new one, though. Everything looks so washed out.
  • roninsmastermix
    6288096238_d88b77405f_b.jpg
    Demo and medic version.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Ronin, just curious, how did you learn to model?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix

I have to say I'm not really liking these backpack things. They're well made, as always for you, but they don't really add anything to the style of the character. They have no flavor, no strange identifying trait, no humor. No one's going to really want to get this item.
  • roninsmastermix
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Ronin, just curious, how did you learn to model?

Watched helljumper's tutorial this april. Been using blender for 3 hours on average a day. (more or less) Visiting forums. Adding and asking great contributors. Special thanks to Rob Laro for mentoring (kinda).