Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys, I've been playing with materials lately. Does anyone know how to make a texture scroll back and forth? I'm currently using "TextureScroll" but this only allows the texture to scroll in one direction.

Ideally I'd like to have the texture go from [0, 0] to [0, 1] and then back to [0, 0]
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Barlim

I believe the dmx are just intermediary files between model program and mdl (which is what the game uses.

Just export smd and compile and it should be fine. However, the characters use like 6 LOD's. So if you only replace one you're bound to see legs popping in and out at different distances.

A hack I used to test my pyro lady liberty feet was to just make the boots alpha'ed out on the blue skin. Gives me a bunch of feetless blu pyros during gameplay but it was easy way to get rid of the feet. Only took a few minutes.

(the tex is also misaligned a bit but...looks bad for scren cap)
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @norman, you could use a sine proxie to achieve that - try http://www.nodraw.net/2010/01/dynamic-materials-with-proxies/ for more info
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pogo wrote: »
    @norman, you could use a sine proxie to achieve that - try http://www.nodraw.net/2010/01/dynamic-materials-with-proxies/ for more info

Thanks Pogo! Already tried to wrap my head around it but I still can't figure it out. All I know is that the sine proxie has to be somehow involved. I just don't know enough about how Source materials are written to accomplish this... I'll keep trying tho!
  • Ginio Beast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, This is my first time posting, so please don't hold back, I need the criticism. Its based on the N64 GoldenEye sniper but with almost a complete make over, some elements taken from the WA2000 and other influences from other snipers I've seen on the steam workshop.
    photostream
  • Ginio Beast
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ginio, use
    [IMG]  [/IMG] code tags for your pic.

The rifle looks pretty good. But the barrell looks very thin, just looks a bit out of place compared to the over all beefiness of the model.

Also, the vents on the side just don't read very well. Maybe just having some kind of bolt on plate or something that doesn't stand out so much would work better.
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ BanthaFodder; Thanks!
    @ aivanov; noted and working on it.

I've got a WIP on a new set for the Heavy.
    It takes one to know one, BABIES!
    UberBaby.jpg
    I might need a little help with some jiggle bones on the top bonnet part and teh little string ties at the bottom.
    I will trade rigging for modeling and/or credits, only babies need apply.

Also can someone point me to some .qc code for environment reflection maps?

Thanks
    Mark

PS. Pacifier, Bottle (lunchboxes) and baby mittens on the way soon.
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Submitted spy misc-scarf with 3 styles
    Thumbs up guys :D
    steamworkshop_tf2_french_fashion_thumb1.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2939
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog: I found the reason for the error I was getting, just a renamed bone. However, your idea of alpha-ing out the legs is really crafty, and I may just do that instead.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, as I said, here's the ladle to go with the Cranial Cauldron:

Ladle_hlmv3.jpg

2362 tris with 2 LODs down to 1314

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2940
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Well, that was certainly detailed.

Team Fortress uses the alpha channel of the targa to store specular information, so you'll need one if you don't want your entire object to be one uniform level of very shiny.

Didn't know that.

But the alpha channel I am referring to is the one created by Maya. With this alpha channel, the only visible sections of the model will be where the Edge loops lie.
    Not very effective for a game model, if all you can see is the wireframe of the model:poly121:
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    6276609211_35975d2feb_b.jpg

Best way I have found to get an Image into these forums, is to be on the uploaded image page, not the stream page.

ANYWHO!!!

I agree with Baddcog, the Barrel of the rifle needs to be much thicker. Not to just match with the bulkiness of the gun, but to more match the TF2 stylized look.

Also, the vents on the side, would either be better served as a texture, or replaced.

But this is my 2 cents.. take it as you will.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you try to contact with the TF2 team addressing your problem?

http://www.valvesoftware.com/email.php?recipient=TF+Team
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't know that.

But the alpha channel I am referring to is the one created by Maya. With this alpha channel, the only visible sections of the model will be where the Edge loops lie.
    Not very effective for a game model, if all you can see is the wireframe of the model:poly121:

Well, just paint over it. Black is not shiny, white is pure shine. (often the ao bake darkend a bit is a pretty good quick specular map.)

unless you use the model paint option, at which time that alpha because paint areas (white = paint) and you have to use a normal map with an alpha for spec (the normal map can be flat blue).
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    re.wind wrote: »
    I don't believe it, he deleted all the comments. :-|

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1569

He must be very insistent that Valve use his nonexistent model. :poly117:
  • Ginio Beast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you guys I appreciate your input and will be back soon with more. :)
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What an uber-tool.
    It's too bad that the Steam Workshop is so prone to abuse and seems to have no filter for it at all.

You should keep posting your link to the real one.

Best
    Mark
    re.wind wrote: »
    I don't believe it, he deleted all the comments. :-|

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1569
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Does anyone have an idea as to how to get custom animations working?
    I simply can't seem to figure out how to do it with c_models... v_models were so much easier to work with. :(

4ea1ff00aaabd.jpg
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalakzik wrote: »
    Submitted spy misc-scarf with 3 styles
    Thumbs up guys :D
    steamworkshop_tf2_french_fashion_thumb1.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2939
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKVVDAKi_d4"]Detective Homer Simpson - "and thats the end of that chapter" - YouTube[/ame]
  • Krisbam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krisbam polycounter lvl 7
    CCUF8.png

As someone so kindly pointed out, the meshes have to be rotated to the rotation of the head bone (which you will only find in the decompiled models, as found in the OP) IN ADDITION TO being rotated 90 degrees. By rotating my beard 7.2-something degrees, it fits like a glove!

Now I'm wondering how to remove parts of the player mesh without making a whole new player mesh (such as the Deus Specs). Is this possible or would it only be possible for Valve? Would be nice to make some replacements for the sniper's sunglasses.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm pretty sure they were lazy with the Deus Specs. If you look close I believe snipe wears both at the same time. (even though in the last update they decide to limit 'clipping' issues which killed a lot of cool looks.)

The beard looks good, but unfortunately faces are animated with Morph targets. Basically you just can't attach anything closely to the face, when his chin drops the beard won't. His cheeks might stretch outwards if he does a weird look and the beard will clip in...

I got by with it on my heavy Troll Face just because I made the nose and chin big enough to hide his real nose and chin through the morphs. Still, when he talks the mouth doesn't move.

it might be possible to get a rig they used for the head morph targets. Then attach your beard to his head, and export a second head model. I haven't gotten that far myself.
  • Sparkwire
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Sparkwire wrote: »

Reminds me of the space suit from Alien.

Awesome though, really nice.
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone figured out a way to export the SMD files from Maya? Mine is just refusing to work and I have to send it through 3DS Max instead which adds a lot of time to the process.

Also is there any info I can pick up on creating multiple styles for my items?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never used the proxies myself, but something like this should work.
       "$offset" "0" //vary this
       "$angle" 0.0
       "$translate" "[0.0 0.0]"
       "$center" "[-0.5 -0.5]"

"Proxies"
        	{
                "Sine"
                {
                    "sineperiod" 12 //vary this
                    "timeoffset" "$offset"
                    "resultVar" "$translate[0]" //0 for x, 1 for y
                }
                "TextureTransform"
                {
                    "translateVar" "$translate"
                    "rotateVar" "$angle"
                    "centerVar" "$center"
                    "resultVar" "$basetexturetransform"
                }
        	}

The first section initialises the variables used by basetexturetransform, setting the centre at the centre and the rotation and translation to zero.
    The second part initialises the sine function, and passes the result to the translate's x coordinate (you can change to y easily).
    The final part uses texture transform to move the bitmap according to the input data, which should result in a sine function.

Play around with the values and you should be able to get it looking nice.
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    Monkeez wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out a way to export the SMD files from Maya? Mine is just refusing to work and I have to send it through 3DS Max instead which adds a lot of time to the process.

Also is there any info I can pick up on creating multiple styles for my items?

CRAP, I actually can export and Import SMD files from maya .... I forgot how the hell I did it.

I think this is the page that I used to make Maya work with SMD's.....

http://www.northcapestudios.com/blog/?p=45
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CRAP, I actually can export and Import SMD files from maya .... I forgot how the hell I did it.

I think this is the page that I used to make Maya work with SMD's.....

http://www.northcapestudios.com/blog/?p=45

Thanks a lot, got it working from Maya now. YAY
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
  • roninsmastermix
    The Vanilla Pack
    6279023286_622bf17cf6_b.jpg
    All-class (soldier) stock weapon's backpack. It features the class' secondary and melee weapons on the backpack. Paintable main pack and straps.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Igmwg.png

The helmet for my set. Been a long time, but my goal of turning the Scout into Hermes is now complete.
  • Ginio Beast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demon- I really like the look of this its an awesome idea, but the grey texture on the hat just feels a little flat in my opinion, all it needs is a bit of ambient occlusion.
  • Ginio Beast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6279717416_97e3f535f3_b.jpg

I got rid of the vent. Looking back at it again it was very distracting and spoiled the shape of it slightly. I thickened the barrel considerably, has a lot more weight to it now which is nice. Reduced the size of the bolts and increased the size of the bolt action chamber.
    But I added a sticker to it, is it distracting, does it look good or is it unneccessary?

(I was thinking of using it as a reference to the Byelomorye dam, which is the first level of the GoldenEye N64 game and general location of my favourite level Facility.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8368020@N06/6279717416/in/photostream/
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    6276609211_35975d2feb_b.jpg
    VERSES
    6279717416_97e3f535f3_b.jpg

I think it looks better without the vents. But remember they can always be added in later with texturing. The larger barrel really makes the gun pop IMO. Maybe make the barrel opening larger though? Or remove the faces, and texture it in. IDK. I'd experiment with that one. The rifle is coming along nicely though. I can definitely see the classic Goldeneye Sniper influence. Can't wait to see how you tackle the texturing on this one. I don't think the solid orange will mesh well with TF2, but it woud be funny to see. lol
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never used the proxies myself, but something like this should work.
       "$offset" "0" //vary this
       "$angle" 0.0
       "$translate" "[0.0 0.0]"
       "$center" "[-0.5 -0.5]"

"Proxies"
        	{
                "Sine"
                {
                    "sineperiod" 12 //vary this
                    "timeoffset" "$offset"
                    "resultVar" "$translate[0]" //0 for x, 1 for y
                }
                "TextureTransform"
                {
                    "translateVar" "$translate"
                    "rotateVar" "$angle"
                    "centerVar" "$center"
                    "resultVar" "$basetexturetransform"
                }
        	}

The first section initialises the variables used by basetexturetransform, setting the centre at the centre and the rotation and translation to zero.
    The second part initialises the sine function, and passes the result to the translate's x coordinate (you can change to y easily).
    The final part uses texture transform to move the bitmap according to the input data, which should result in a sine function.

Play around with the values and you should be able to get it looking nice.

Ahh! Pogo! Thanks so much! I hope I had seen this before. As a matter of fact I figured it out by myself yesterday. lol! All I had to do is think a bit more :P

This is what I'm using:
    $texoffset "[0 0]"
    	$basetexture2scale "[0.5 1]"

"Proxies"
    	{

"Sine"
    		{
    			"sineperiod" 2
    			"sinemin" -0.25
    			"sinemax" 0.25
    			"resultVar" "$texoffset[0]"
    		}
    		TextureTransform
    		{
    			translateVar $texoffset
    			scaleVar $basetexturescale
    			resultVar $basetexturetransform
    		}
    	}

It works perfectly with what I'm doing. I'll show it soon :D

All I need to do is figure out if I can have 2 mat IDs for this hat...

Thanks again Pogo for taking the time! ;)

EDIT: Basically the mistake I was doing... I was using TextureScroll instead of TextureTransform. TextureScroll works kind of funny, but TextureTransform is perfect, because I'm moving the texture by the sine output.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to hear you got it sorted, how does it look in game?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone at all gotten feedback from Valve? I've posted 15 items and haven't heard a word from them. Maybe they're just waiting until they prepare for a community update.
  • roninsmastermix
    Has anyone at all gotten feedback from Valve? I've posted 15 items and haven't heard a word from them. Maybe they're just waiting until they prepare for a community update.

From what i hear, they respond to the top rated items. I've gotten 3 responds on 3 of my items. They mostly looked for reasons why i submitted my items NOT in the format of the itemtest. They suggested that it actually helps that you submit your items in the format that the item test constructs them.

They also suggested adding jigglebones to my models. Seems this new TF2 team is really into the details.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    I got feedback on the format of the zip files. Not the item itself :I And since I tried to make modification to ease their process I didn't get a word from them.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, really wish it was easier to get into the top rated. My items are well recieved, but never get rated because they're down on pages 15-30
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    same.

I don't think the rating system was thought out quite well, because every half-decent model has full 5 stars.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe some of the rates are negative but not enough to take away a star.
    we should be able to see how many dislikes we have
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent a quick message explaining some issues to the tf2 team.
    Hello,
    I'm an avid item creator for the TF2 workshop. Using the system over the past few weeks has made some problems painfully obvious and I thought I should share my troubles.

1. No specific system to report theft. I've had several of my items uploaded fraudulently and there doesn't seem to be any set way to report this. Worse yet, the thieves post hateful messages on my own items claiming that their stolen. I think something should be done to help weed out these people and ban them from the Workshop.

2. Ratings are somewhat biased by several factors. The first most obvious problem here is that items high on the top rated list get rated much more often than those lower down. This leads to items getting stuck at the top of the list. You'll notice that almost all the items in the top rated's first few pages were submitted early on.
    I would suggest implementing a new system for rating items that takes this top rated bias out of the equation. For example, you could have visitors to the workshop enter a "rate items" system, where they would be presented with randomly selected items from around the workshop and asked to rate up or down. This way, every item would receive the same amount of rates, from unbiased viewers.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. I just want the workshop to be a fair, safe place.

-Everett
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent a quick message explaining some issues to the tf2 team.

Agree with the idea mentioned in the second part

It'd be like the Saxxy awards

Upvote/Downvote/report

perhaps pit two weapons against one another, both in the same slot

Spy melee weapon against Spy melee weapon
    all class against all class

and then you simply pick the category
    view all the submissions normally but rate them independantly like that
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to hear you got it sorted, how does it look in game?

Hehe thanks! I'll post a youtube video once the hat is finished ;)

Hm, really wish it was easier to get into the top rated. My items are well recieved, but never get rated because they're down on pages 15-30

Here is some insight as to how my hats have been performing:
    Maybe I've been lucky. But out of my 3 hats, one, the soldier hat is the top best rated soldier hat (800 ratings), number two is the sniper hat, it's in the 2nd page of the sniper's category (with 230 ratings). Which isn't bad. And the third one, the engineer "breaking bad" hat, isn't doing that well. But I wasn't expecting a huge reaction, it just doesn't appeal to too many people. I've only started recently to submit hats and they have managed to keep going up through the pages just fine. Some faster than others. The sniper hat for example seems to be "stuck", whereas the other two hats keep rising. The soldier hat faster than the engineer hat.

That being said, I think it would really help to get the best rated already out of the workshop and in the game. So that other hats can take the spotlight.

Cbast wrote: »
    I got feedback on the format of the zip files. Not the item itself :I And since I tried to make modification to ease their process I didn't get a word from them.

How are you guys getting the feedback? Through email or through the "Private Developer Comments"? Do you get notified if any comments are posted there?
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Norman3D wrote: »
    How are you guys getting the feedback? Through email or through the "Private Developer Comments"? Do you get notified if any comments are posted there?

Private Developer Comments, and you get an email tell you that a comment was left on your item.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, a quick update from me. The Deconstruction pack is slowly going. Jackhammer texturing 90% finished. Probably gonna do another primary, more shotgun shaped. It is late and my writing is incoherent. Apologies. That's right, it still lacks some specular.

Jackhammer_hlmv4.jpg
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2993
    The same guy who stole the cop heavy set also stole Sexy Robot's pocket Mother.
  • roninsmastermix
    6281567259_075b25a7eb_b.jpg
    Back to work. Pyro this time. Comments and crits are welcome.