Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    Noors wrote: »
    I've resubmited the chainsaw :
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2455
    Show me love !

hah! That idea is awesome!

Here is my updated helicopter helmet:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2187

New style so it matches the black box and reflections for the front glass. It looks bad-ass :P

vBzZp.jpg
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soo... anybody with a Halloween themed hat received a mail about it being added? are HWeen submissions already "closed"?
    I hope not!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    That helicopter helmet is great. It goes very well with both of the launchers.

@Arcaltarion, I'm not sure... I forgot about that though. I thought about submitting a few last minute halloween items as they seemed to be putting them in late last year but it seems like they've been trying to smooth out the system a bit.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Soo... anybody with a Halloween themed hat received a mail about it being added? are HWeen submissions already "closed"?
    I hope not!

I can only assume from the fact that this question keeps coming up and has yet to be answered that NDAs are involved.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For all we know valve may have subcontracted the halloween update to YM, svdl, and pony-avatar person who's done many collaborations with svdl (Can't remember your name as my mind went (still is) blank from being desperately tired. :( )
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Do you see this Makkon?

You have become "pony-avatar person".

It's time for an intervention.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    I think he meant Sparkwire, Matt. (Unless you were purposely joking.)

Norman
    , that's looks great! Reminds me of C&C Tiberian Sun helmet (probably based on the same source.)

Arcaltarion, I think it could do with some very light application of blotchy stains on the bandages. But that's my take. Great idea.

Personally, I'm interested if Valve is ever going to actually make new items ever again now that they've essentially got a gigantic factory to make everything for them (this isn't necessarily bad).
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, sparkwire.

/me gives aivanov a cookie, a pony, and an internet.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Work in progess model of a Magnetic Grenade Launcher. The idea is that it shoots magnetic grenades, which gravitate towards buildings, but do less damage to players.
    Haven't made the projectile yet, but picture something along the lines of a normal grenade with a horseshoe magnet taped to it. :poly124:

I1.jpg
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    texture looks a little too painted me thinks but the model looks nice
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eedobaba7726
    so true, somehow this system ended up more broken then anyone could have imagined. If Noors' chainsaw doesn't make it to the second page at least I may lose faith in this system completely. Lets just hope in any event that Valve takes the time to go through all the submissions anyways.
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    I have a hat for the engineer in mind, but I would need to get rid of his goggles in order to replace them with something else. Is this at all possible? :/
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    Norman3D wrote: »
    I have a hat for the engineer in mind, but I would need to get rid of his goggles in order to replace them with something else. Is this at all possible? :/

I built around his goggles.... I suppose you could, create a second head for the engie, sans-goggles, and then create your new object for his headgear...

but that seems like more work lol
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anybody tell me whats up with this new itemtest SDK tool? And are lods necessary?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    you need two lod's total at least
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP walkie talkie misc. for scout, 500 tris. Any suggestons?

314p44h.png

@baddcog
    How would I go about making those?
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question: when making a hat, do you model an interior of the hat, or just leave the bottom of the hat flat?
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    Aigik wrote: »
    Question: when making a hat, do you model an interior of the hat, or just leave the bottom of the hat flat?

depends on the hat. My helmit has no interior faces. In Maya, it looks fine, but in the source engine, the inside does not render, so where half of it may show up on the floor, the other half is "missing"

It is really up to you I believe. well, you and the poly count lol
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9

For every hat I do I model in a lower poly inside. It's only an extra 20-40 tris and it makes sure that it looks fine when it falls on the floor.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Bopoe, a LOD aka level of detail, is a less detailed model, used to be seen from far, when you don"t need the fancy details, and thus, for optimizing the scene.

So, basically, you have to remove half the polygons while keeping the uv almost intact, so it uses the same texture. You can remove the buttons, remove bevels, use less polygons for cylinder, etc... Just keep the basic shape.
    Yamo wrote: »
    Haha I just saw it and didn't recognize |BLITZ| Puppies, immediately thought "wow who thought the could get away with stealing Noor's chainsaw!?"

Yeah, i don't think i have the same nickname in any forum/website so, i'm not helping ^^
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :D

One more question! The TF2 contribution page says that hats should be kept under 1k polys. Is that polys or tris? I ask, because I did the ArenaNet internship recently, and they said "polys" in place of "tris", so I just want to make sure.
  • Cloud_Leonheart
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tris

Grumble grumble grumble...
  • Monkeez
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The morning star looks great in game, but I'm not sure the jiggle bones are really selling the physics of the chain very well. It might be worth submitting an alternate version with keyframed animation.
  • VonDoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VonDoom polycounter lvl 6
    Are most of you using the old "manual" way of compiling your models or do you use the new inbuildt SDK item tool? I'm following a tutorial of how to get my hat in game the old way (replacing an existing hat), but the new folder structure makes me unsure of how to do it.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    compile a box using the itemtest method, it will create an uncompressed file for it in the steam subfolders. Use that as a template!

tip: the QC file will use OBJ for the compilation. you can use SMDs instead, (which store skinned bones)
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Work in progess model of a Magnetic Grenade Launcher. The idea is that it shoots magnetic grenades, which gravitate towards buildings, but do less damage to players.
    Haven't made the projectile yet, but picture something along the lines of a normal grenade with a horseshoe magnet taped to it. :poly124:

I1.jpg

Looks good except for the stock, you should work on making it look more curved.
    Also, the style of your texture is good, but its not TF2. try to make edge wear and tear, and have less long strokes (best thing to do, is look at Valves textures on the default weapons). have blotchy strokes, different colors etc.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ eedobaba7726
    Drop your texture size down to 512 x 512 as this is very likely what Valve will do. I suspect you'll want to drop the writing on the batteries (too small to see anyway).
    How does the outside wire interact with the demo's left hand?
  • VonDoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VonDoom polycounter lvl 6
    compile a box using the itemtest method, it will create an uncompressed file for it in the steam subfolders. Use that as a template!

tip: the QC file will use OBJ for the compilation. you can use SMDs instead, (which store skinned bones)

Im lost here, what type of file am I looking for and how do I use it as a template? Or I could have misunderstood some basic concepts here :I
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Alright. I think I've listened to almost everything people have suggested. APesquera, I liked the idea of leather straps but I disagree with the blade pattern because from the references I'm using there is no fade as the entire metal is meant to have irregularities. I de-saturated the gold hilt and redid the pattern so it's smoother and more defined. I also gave it a envcubemap so that it only subtly shows when light bounces off it. It works quite well.

Which one is better and if you have more ideas to add to it, do share. I think APesquera suggested something on the bottom. Like a ring or something.

knife_03.png
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Norman3D wrote: »
    Interesting, this reminds me of another issue, not exactly plagiarism. I just recently submited this.

Now, before I model anything I first make sure it has not been submitted before as it would make no sense to do it again. This time around however, I did check but I must have missed it.

As it turns out it has not been the first time that this idea has been submitted!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=339
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1331

It is by no means a very original idea, it actually didn't surprise me to find out that others have come to this idea as well. So I wouldn't be sure how to handle such a case. What entry gets to stay? Would it be fair that the item that was last submitted would stay, because it had the best rating?

That being said, I think there needs to be a better way to find items. Tags perhaps, or more categories.

I did one to a while ago submitted before the workshop, but those items don't list on there, so you can bet your ass that there are 10 more submissions like that that don't show up on the workshop pages.

how to choose from different submissions with the same idea? simple, pick the one that fits TF2 best. In the end Valve decides.
  • Zalakzik
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, first Plagarism is NOT modelling the same thing as someone else.

websters:
    *to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
    *to use (another's production) without crediting the source
    *to commit literary theft
    8to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source.

So regarding hats. Is that apple YOUR idea? Was it one of those other modelers idea? NO. The apple/arrow on head thing has been around for , oh I dunno, centuries?
    Because someone else models it does that mean you shouldn't?

I've also had the same thing happen.
    mine
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1880
    his
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1070

I showed mine off 6+ months ago when I made it, here, at a forum that guy frequents, and at at least 4 others (any of which he could also frequent).
    I'm not claiming it's an original idea, clowns have been around for a long time with that look. But they also have other looks he could have chosen...

I did and engine 'brain under glass' a long time ago too, and later several more showed up (from people here after I posted mine here...)

But when it comes down to it, it is up to Valve. And they will choose the best (in their opinion) if they choose it at all.

Personally I think Norman's apple is the best and I'm not out to do something someone else has done. If I saw Norman's I definitely wouldn't waste my time, I don't think it could be done better.
    If I had been wanting to do that idea and saw another of lesser quality I might do it. Not to 'rip off' a very common idea, but to make a better model for TF2, and to satisfy my own modelling desires.

I think the workshop just shows that there are more dupes probably being done than we'd previously imagined.

But to be a plagarized idea means to have a completely new and different idea directly stolen. And I think that is very rare.
    There's that haunted meat tentacle sandvich someone did... That's a very original idea and we all know it's been done. If someone else makes one it would be a fairly obvious rip-off.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh.. guys. the RATES in my engineer arm went down from 500 to 80.

Is this happening to someone else?

498 now.. it changes every minute, must be a bug
  • Sexy Robot
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm
    just readed this
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=53
    It's going to be released in The Night of The Living Update as a skin for the Dead Ringer in less than one hour. Stay tuned !
    45 minutes ago, by the creator

WUT
    EDIT: well it seems to be a community skin contest-update.

http://halloween.tf2mods.net/index.html

damn. I want to play the skull map already!
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh.. guys. the RATES in my engineer arm went down from 500 to 80.

Is this happening to someone else?

498 now.. it changes every minute, must be a bug

it happens a lot, imagine my surprise when my knife went from having 300 to 15. but it always goes back to normal.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ratings are indeed very buggy. My Bird's Eye Bomber has fluctuated from 2000, down to 0, up to 400, down to 0, up to 1500. It's obviously a very buggy system.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And weird as well, because even the owners can't see how many negative rates they received.

that screws the "most pupular" items because less voted items but with more positives are ranked higher. thaan stuff with like 1000 rates...
    it's weird
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    Grumble grumble grumble...

It is good practice to remember that Most video game companies use Tris for their game models. Look at some of the lowest quality games. NDS, N64, PSP, PS1, G1 PS2 games, all have visually represented {and faceted} Triangular faces. Now cinematics and 3D animation movies (which is what I was trained for, not video games) use mainly quads (traditionally called a Polygon, while 3 sided shapes are traditionally refereed to as Tris). Now this rule has been, will be broken, and some game companies use quads, and some cg movie companies use tris. However Valve is one for tradition and uses Tris for it's game models. Just use the model viewer in the SDK, and change any of the props/models to render the wire frame, you will definitely see more tris than quads.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    It is good practice to remember that Most video game companies use Tris for their game models. Look at some of the lowest quality games. NDS, N64, PSP, PS1, G1 PS2 games, all have visually represented {and faceted} Triangular faces. Now cinematics and 3D animation movies (which is what I was trained for, not video games) use mainly quads (traditionally called a Polygon, while 3 sided shapes are traditionally refereed to as Tris). Now this rule has been, will be broken, and some game companies use quads, and some cg movie companies use tris. However Valve is one for tradition and uses Tris for it's game models. Just use the model viewer in the SDK, and change any of the props/models to render the wire frame, you will definitely see more tris than quads.

wut?

you know most engines today render quads into tris upon import/compiling right??? That doesn't mean an artist models in tris. In fact they'd be nuts to work in tris. So who exactly follows this rule? Modeling in quads is generally easier/faster
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And weird as well, because even the owners can't see how many negative rates they received.

that screws the "most pupular" items because less voted items but with more positives are ranked higher. thaan stuff with like 1000 rates...
    it's weird

I'd say that having things proportional like that helps new items not get buried. You can't just have the most popular items stay at the top forever, constantly getting thousands of ratings, while good items lower down rarely get noticed.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe, but I still think the creators should be able to see the up&down votes of their own creations
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    oobersli wrote: »
    wut?

you know most engines today render quads into tris upon import/compiling right??? That doesn't mean an artist models in tris. In fact they'd be nuts to work in tris. So who exactly follows this rule? Modeling in quads is generally easier/faster

Shape in quads, cook in tris. Don't underestimate the power of edge turning.

Quads stopped being supported in consumer video hardware around 1996 when only PowerVR PCX1/2 and NV1 (Diamond Edge 3D) did it, needless to say it's long been obsolete.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    wut?

It's not how you work, I think most people working in quads these days. Working in tris just doesn't make any sense, it makes sculpting worse and even simple things like selecting edge loops don't work in tris.

It's how the engine counts faces. Most engines count tris. So even if you export a model in quads in gets broken down into tris for the engine to handle.
    So counting quads doesn't give you an accurate count.

The only benefit to triangulating before export is if an export decides it wants to turn edges on you. As tris it can't. I've heard of it happeneing but I haven't used an engine/exporter that did that anyway.
    Exporting lwo's to Doom3 DOES require a mesh being triangulated, exporting ase's to the same engine doesn't.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second item for my Demoman set. Magnetic grenade launcher. Please give me some name ideas before I submit!

Thumb.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the magnet strapped to the 'nade is funny, but how does it come out of that barrel?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Well, the magnet strapped to the 'nade is funny, but how does it come out of that barrel?

Well, the technical side is that the projectile would fit inside the mesh along with the magnet, but the idea in general is that it's simply cartoon logic, like how Soldier can fire multiple rockets from what appears to be a single loading rocket launcher. The idea of demoman taping magnets to his grenades was too attractive to let logic get in the way. :P
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My new soldier hat... The Law-Mann:

hat.jpg

hat2.jpg