Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    More work on this laser trip-mine launcher, and it's projectiles.

b_image.jpg
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Uploaded my Spider with some minor changes for the better. Was a bit too detailed for TF2 so I toned that down.
    tarantulathumbp.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2094

IMO fits the soldier best as I put it over his eyes, but it is all class!
  • roninsmastermix
    Submitted!
    6E7F1004C3B7B72B20B2F99D116E7018A9C857F5
    Support and rate it here:
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    95953323.jpg
    37981815.jpg
    67020202.jpg

started basic texturing, thoughts so far?
  • Evil0live
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doughnut Bear

Maybe some flame decals (too common?) Or some speed/motion blur?
  • Korby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *invisible pyro head*
    in game scrrrreeeeeens
    You could doodle some eyes on those bandages.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, names! I need to give this thing a good name before I set up the submission. Suggestions!
    (It launches laser tripwire bombs. The best name I could think of is the Bad Trip)

THUMB.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    Submitted!
    6BA216DD3F1E93EA484619509443B1ED35DDA2CC
    Support and rate it here:
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Evil0live i think the flames will be too generic, if i may ask what do you mean by speed/motion blur?
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    @ eedobaba7726 - That looks like a good start, but I think you still have some work to do before you can call it done (however, it's always up to you). From what I can see, when you remove the tiny antennas, the silhouette of your launcher barely differs from that of the standard one:

launchercompare.jpg

You want something that can be as quickly recognizable from a distance as possible while also looking unique - all by shape alone.

I think you simplified the entire look too much to the point where it's more cartoony rather than stylized; its geometry is made up almost solely of large, broad planes, lacking any small details to slightly ground it in realism.

Every weapon in TF2 has been based in some way on a real-world counterpart - why would a square-shaped launcher shoot round objects? The antennas also seem to add to the cartoonish vibe, as they simply look like someone haphazardly stuck a bunch onto the gun with no real thought. Even objects that are 'taped-on' in TF2 show purpose, such as the Stickybomb Defender - the Demoman clearly attached a laser pointer (and even a battery) to it for purposes of targeting something.

At the very least, I hope you take all of this into account for any future items you make, as I do want to see you get something in.
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    3 people have taken credit for this on the workshop site

D:(
    ant wrote: »
    well just about finished , I went a bit over board,but had to do a style test
    ..just a few more touch ups..
    Gonna do a weapon and hat for Pyro next.

Congrats to the latest round of hat entries that got in.
    valve should just fund this thread for a month and come back later..=)

slingshot_awarded.jpgslingshot_wires.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It might be worth throwing a link to a wip image or thread post here as proof that your work is your own given all the plagiarism going around.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »
    when you remove the tiny antennas, the silhouette of your launcher barely differs from that of the standard one

Why would you remove the antennas?

That and, arguably, the team colours, are making it very distinct from the original sticky bomb launcher.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    started basic texturing, thoughts so far?

I like the belt dangling down on the sides. Keep it up.

I noticed images on the workshop now support 512x512 so re-upload if yours is low res.
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Silver Spade - This is a good reference for TF2-style texturing; to find models/textures for existing game items, you'll need GCFSCape - it can browse and extract from the .GCF files that hold all the game content. The GCFs themselves are located in your Steam/steamapps/ directory.

To view Valve's textures, you'll need to convert them from native .VTF files into one your computer can read with VTFEdit.

To view Valve's models, you'll need to decompile them from .MDL to .SMD, which you can learn how to do here. However, the resulting .SMD files can only be imported into certain 3d-modeling programs - which brings us to the next point:

Wings3D will do just fine if you stick with outputting .OBJ files and using them with Valve's new itemtest compiler - but otherwise I strongly suggest learning a more wide-spread program like Blender/3ds Max/Maya as they're better supported and have the plugins that can import and read the .SMD format.

@aivanov Thank you very much aivanov. :)

Questions though,
    1.) Is it possible to place a moving object (say a rotating fan, spinning gear/s, helicopter blades, etc.) on an item or hat? If so, what's the process? (will also be checking Google, although my past few searches before posting this has been somewhat futile).
    2.) Is it necessary/needed to supply a sound file of sorts for a particular item that may need it or seem appropriate for it? (electric current, water dripping, etc.)

At this time, nemesis.thewavelength.net is not accessible, but will start downloading the needed files as soon as it goes back up.

With regards to the item I'm trying to create, I've drawn a (horrendous looking) drawing / concept of what will hopefully be the end product (not a very good with regards to drawing). Will learn about Blender as soon as I find enough time to do so, but until then, I'll just safely assume that files created in Wings3D could easily be transferred to Blender.

Once again, thank you for the help. :D
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    @aivanov Thank you very much aivanov. :)

Questions though,
    1.) Is it possible to place a moving object (say a rotating fan, spinning gear/s, helicopter blades, etc.) on an item or hat? If so, what's the process? (will also be checking Google, although my past few searches before posting this has been somewhat futile).
    2.) Is it necessary/needed to supply a sound file of sorts for a particular item that may need it or seem appropriate for it? (electric current, water dripping, etc.)

At this time, nemesis.thewavelength.net is not accessible, but will start downloading the needed files as soon as it goes back up.

With regards to the item I'm trying to create, I've drawn a (horrendous looking) drawing / concept of what will hopefully be the end product (not a very good with regards to drawing). Will learn about Blender as soon as I find enough time to do so, but until then, I'll just safely assume that files created in Wings3D could easily be transferred to Blender.

Once again, thank you for the help. :D

1. Well, I use 3Ds Max (so things might be a little different than blender), and to answer your first question, yes, you can. What you would have to do is create what they call a bone, to the pivot point of your spinning object, then you attach the bone to the bip_head bone, making it so when you move the bip_head bone, it moves the spinning bone at equal relation to where it was. (sorry if this is a tad too confusing) Then you have to take the two bones and apply skinning areas to the hat in which you made. bip_head should cover just that hat (no spinning thing), and the spinning bone should cover the spinning piece of geometry.

Then you export that, and make and "idle" animation of it spinning, then export that.

It's a longer process, and it takes up more comp power when running the game, and that is why Valve hasn't added very many hats that are animated.

2. No, you do not have to have the sound/particle for your weapon. You can if you want, but Valve ends up doing their own thing anyway.
  • Sexy Robot
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    1. Well, I use 3Ds Max (so things might be a little different than blender), and to answer your first question, yes, you can. What you would have to do is create what they call a bone, to the pivot point of your spinning object, then you attach the bone to the bip_head bone, making it so when you move the bip_head bone, it moves the spinning bone at equal relation to where it was. (sorry if this is a tad too confusing) Then you have to take the two bones and apply skinning areas to the hat in which you made. bip_head should cover just that hat (no spinning thing), and the spinning bone should cover the spinning piece of geometry.

Then you export that, and make and "idle" animation of it spinning, then export that.

It's a longer process, and it takes up more comp power when running the game, and that is why Valve hasn't added very many hats that are animated.

2. No, you do not have to have the sound/particle for your weapon. You can if you want, but Valve ends up doing their own thing anyway.

Regarding #1, it's more of an item / weapon. But I'm going to make a guess the method applies both to items and hats (although kindly let me know if my guess was wrong).
    Would you happen to know if there's a way to make a drive-belt (like those in car engines) through the use of some sort of illusion as to appear as though it's moving, or it can be moving without it taking too much comp power?

========
    Idea
    ========
    Trying to incorporate an engine and a piston into some of the contraptions. Hmm... I'm currently in some sort of conflict with the idea.
    So far, the idea is to incorporate the engine into some sort of weapon, where I've come up with 2 options:

Option A - Power-fist like idea, basically Gunslinger (mechanical arm of the Engineer in TF2) plus an engine that is connected to it, while able to be mounted or placed on the Engineer's forearm.
    Possible Problem: In terms of realistic proportions, this might be a tad bit extreme, since an engine isn't exactly going to fit on a man's forearm too well.

Option B - Think of HL2's ground pounder, the ones that keep the antlions away. Now, think as if it's in a portable handheld device, something like the Pyro's Powerjack, except rather than in a swinging motion, it's primary source of damage is more of a "pushing" motion, a "horizontal ground pounder" so to speak (my apologies if this was a tad bit confusing).
    Added Example: Refer to Isaac's Force Gun (Dead Space 2), except replace the "business-end" of the device with a large weight plate/piston attached to some hydraulics, and the body with an engine with handles for "easy-to-carry" purposes.
    Possible Problem: Although I might be able to create an alternative (and much smaller) power source, it will scratch the engine that I plan to add on it, and in my head, the weapon may be bigger than the Pyro's Powerjack.

Question: Which would be "better", in terms of it fitting certain TF2 guidelines, and would actually look good to a certain point that someone would actually feel like owning it.
    Looking for opinions if ever, (although I would prefer Option A since it seems to be a pretty cool idea, and I've already drawn a concept art for it, although blast it that the scanner is bugging up on me again).

Question regarding Option B: Can you use the shotgun animation (holding the shotgun, specifically) when creating an item for the melee weapon slot? (my apologies, i'm still relatively new)

Thanks again, and my apologies for this wall of text which I thank you if you happen to have the patience to read it. :)
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know I really wish someone at Valve would go over these workshop submissions and just suspend the accounts of idiots who upload trollfaces, pictures of real life weapons, things that have already been posted and/or are not yours.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    You know I really wish someone at Valve would go over these workshop submissions and just suspend the accounts of idiots who upload trollfaces, pictures of real life weapons, things that have already been posted and/or are not yours.

A better approach would to simply ban them from accessing and publishing items on the workshop.

Suspending an account over something like this is a tad harsh to be frankly honest.
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if anyone else is getting this with itemtest, I appear to be the only person having a multitude of issues with it right now:

vietreduxdonotwant.jpg

The one on the left is with my VMT, And the one on the right is the itemtest VMT that it creates.
    It makes the phong ridiculously bold, Sticks "weapon_lightwarp" on the texture by default, And has just recently started adding rimlighting. Has anyone else had these issues with itemtest?
  • TauVertex
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd try making a simple All Class hat compatible with the new decal tool. Decided on a trucker hat, for it's big front area good for the custom texture.

Submission link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2186
    Promo.png

@aivanov
    Good points. I may rebuild it at some point. Took a break from the demo items to work on the above hat.
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macgta

I actually think the picture on the right looks much better

Looks like someone beat you to the Full Metal Jacket helm
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1887
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know, The annoying part is i did mine quite a considerable amount of time before this guy lol. I'll submit mine as is and change it later when i get a response from Robin.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    painted version
    anybody knows what haappens with Team Spirit? it's shown red on both heads
    2vl2qt4.jpg
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I went ahead and submitted my engineer pistol, I'm terrible with names so I named it "The Defender", based on the idea that the engineer will be using it to... defend himself. :poly124:

I went ahead and reduced the small details, and sized up some of the parts of the model that were too small. Here's a link to my workshop page for the gun and a couple screenshots. I hope you guys like it, and thanks for the feedback you've given me. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2109

pistol1.jpg

pistol2.jpg
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    painted version
    anybody knows what haappens with Team Spirit? it's shown red on both heads
    2vl2qt4.jpg
    i hate you....i had the same idea like 5 days ago, but with the spy instead...at least yours is complete and looks great!
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone good with making normal maps of clothing? I'm uncertain if the best way to go about it is with with a high-poly bake or just making it in Photoshop with the normal map filter.

It's for a lederhosen model for the medic. I doubt Valve will be keen on making the medic's entire lower half replaceable, but it's still fun to make so why not.

yXMYr.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    2aeujhg.png

Trying out colours and stuff. Flipped it around as suggested. I used the Big Earner as reference throughout the whole model.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I wouldn't go near a filter for a model's normal map (light seam potential), I would just sculpt it instead and then bake that on low.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huumm.
    there is any link where I can download every hat from the game? because I'm correcting clipping Issues and having to manually decompile every hat is a pain in the ass
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Submitted 3 items to the Steam Workshop; Was going to upload the rocket launcher from my Vietnam pack but i need to sort out some stuff with the seperate rocket first.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b5saaf.jpg
    Clip Issues Fixed!
    And the head has actually a more appealing shape now! (closer to the original one)
  • wasaaaman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macgta wrote: »
    Submitted 3 items to the Steam Workshop; Was going to upload the rocket launcher from my Vietnam pack but i need to sort out some stuff with the seperate rocket first.

OH super cool.
    if it went on sale, I buy it
  • Remeris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been making my first model with my roommate.
    Our submission is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1551
    Rate it if you wish!

EB8F8C9E8D96651AFF7FC71151D78A129589311F
  • wasaaaman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    2aeujhg.png

Trying out colours and stuff. Flipped it around as suggested. I used the Big Earner as reference throughout the whole model.

lol
    has a certain resemblance to the Bushwacka

Mini-Bushwacka
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the damascus patern you got.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As an Invisible head might be cool for halloween but not for the rest of the year, I did a version with a "head" under the bandages
    2gvj2op.jpg

Even better with paints!

@habboi: the metal pattern could be more... cartoony, It wuld fit better the tf2 style
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Habboi wrote: »
    2aeujhg.png

The blade could be a little shinier I think, it'd also look awesome if the pattern was engraved in a bump map like like the ambassador :P also the yellow looks like it's just a solid colour? you might want to work that out a little

----

Seperately, this hat18F3B494949EAD1387BD179876337FE42E2294CF

seems WAAAAAAAY too high poly, what's its count?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    subsandwich.png

Submitted this earlier today, enjoy
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    I made a concept of an idea I had long ago to replace the Dead Ringer. The problem is clipping issues are always more than probable when you get out of the basic shape.

patente2.jpg

A friend of mine made the lines out of a scrappier version with illustrator. As you can see it's not a watch and it seems to be some kind of device. That cylindrical thing is a fuse or something similar.

I love that medigun SexyRobot (and Svdl), you got the sturdy look just perfect.
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    @Pogo:
    I saw that, It made me lol.

ANYWHO!

Normal Maps are a pain in the ass... >_<
    311051_10150496463619535_618969534_11438952_820483437_n.jpg
    317850_10150496469504535_618969534_11438980_1875353279_n.jpgoriginal bake

301305_10150496469609535_618969534_11438981_29771583_n.jpgBad Idea...

313609_10150496469759535_618969534_11438983_409993645_n.jpg what is on the model in the image above....

~sigh~ Wish I was taught how to do this in college .....
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Thanks for replies. It isnt shiny because Valve broke mdlviewer again. It displays in dx8 >_< I,ll sort out the gold, cheers.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    I've wondered why the community hasn't come up with an SDK-independent model viewer yet; one that displays models just like the engine but also has some sorely needed features (working screenshot function, non-maddening camera placement tools, paint switching, etc.). I'd love to do it myself if I knew how to code at all.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Because the Source MDL format is one big scary evil hackeneyed piece of crap model format? We still rely on one outdated broken MDL decompiler for crying out loud

MDL viewing is slowly creeping its way into Noesis, though.
  • Krisbam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krisbam polycounter lvl 7
    I've wondered why the community hasn't come up with an SDK-independent model viewer yet; one that displays models just like the engine but also has some sorely needed features (working screenshot function, non-maddening camera placement tools, paint switching, etc.). I'd love to do it myself if I knew how to code at all.
    And I wonder why no one is willing to tell the rest of us how they're getting their hats in the game. Several people, me included, have already asked how to properly use itemtest without the hats appearing in all the wrong places (despite using Valve's supplied models that are "in the right position").

Anyone wish to help us out?
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera wrote: »
    I made a concept of an idea I had long ago to replace the Dead Ringer. The problem is clipping issues are always more than probable when you get out of the basic shape.

A friend of mine made the lines out of a scrappier version with illustrator. As you can see it's not a watch and it seems to be some kind of device. That cylindrical thing is a fuse or something similar.

I love that medigun SexyRobot (and Svdl), you got the sturdy look just perfect.

I wouldn't bother with normal maps. I heard that Valve removes most of them when people submit with normal maps anyway, because they want to conserve file space.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krisbam wrote: »
    And I wonder why no one is willing to tell the rest of us how they're getting their hats in the game. Several people, me included, have already asked how to properly use itemtest without the hats appearing in all the wrong places (despite using Valve's supplied models that are "in the right position").

Anyone wish to help us out?

The itemtest deal is still a new thing and already notoriously broken and limited. The people that are experienced in compiling all do it the traditional way (for the most part).

I don't think it's that no one wants to tell you how to fix the problems, it's that not many people even know how themselves.
  • Krisbam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krisbam polycounter lvl 7
    Some tips on "the traditional way" would be great too, I found one tutorial through google but in the end the model didn't show up. Are there any other guides/tutorials for this?
    Also, for doing it like that, does it really require such a huge load of half-broken programs of decompilers, compilers, converters and so on. Surely Valve has released the tools to do this the proper way?