Offline / Send Message
    unled1kxd.png

Reminds me of like the Section8 weapons by Lonewolf

the shotgun esp
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Im on about that the Engineer already has too many items, do some other classes already!

How about you make some items for other classes, rather than just telling people to make stuff?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Engineer has too many items? Engineer is currently the only class without an item set. Most other classes have 2 item sets now. Engineer has the least amount of items of any class in game. Until the engineer has 3 new item sets in game there won't be too many engineer items.

Also, what Snader said. People can make whatever they choose to for whatever class they want to. Saying "No. Just no." to someone's WIP is just rude.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zipfinator: agree completely
    2011092500001s.jpg
    2011092500002u.jpg
    started adding an ignition system
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on Flare Cannon for Pyro
    Crits are welcome :)
    Flare_cannon3.png
    Flare_Cannon2.png
    Flare_Cannon1.jpg
  • Evil0live
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalakzik

Where's the trigger? And what colours are you thinking?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The trigger is there, where you would normally expect it, but it's hardly noticeable.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    How do you get your fingers in there to pull it?
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having some troubles with my weapons team colors. The VTMs & the QC point to the same blue texture. There's no typos or anything, but when it's in game regardless of the team it stays red. And when I load it in model viewer it says it can't find the blue VMT when it's clearly there.

Anyone have any pointers?
  • Korby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (grenade launcher)

You could probably save quite a few tris by not modelling the screws, bolts, or that corkscrew on the back. A nice texture would work perfectly fine, I think.
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, guys! I've been working on a shotgun replacement for the Engineer and I would love to get some critique!

It's basically a Colt Navy with a shotgun barrel.

khi5U.png
    95u0m.png
    GcqSA.png

EDIT: Forgot to mention, current count is 1653 polys/3256 tris.

You could probably half the polys on the handle and the trigger guard and it would look fine. Awful lot of detail there for a part of the weapon we will not see. And the Screw/Bolt on the side of the gun can be removed entirely and done with a texture.

Look at the shotgun, and the FAN. They both have the screws in the textures. Definitely helps. During the texturing process you can make it look like it is recessed into the weapon with color. :poly121:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/f/f1/Force-A-Nature.png
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/c/cd/Shotgun_IMG.png

Also, you might want to change the design to have some unique features that would say 'this is the engineer's weapon', be it some sort of mechanism attached to it, or something industrial for the barrels like tubing or pipes. Hell, two lead or copper pipes perhaps. Maybe some duct tape around the handle to break the curve shape up. Hope that helps!
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Zalakzik those screen are taken from an ortographic view? O_o
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys,so I have unwrap again the grenadelauncher,this time thinking to that mipmap thing,think that it's ok now right?

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8546/asdde.png
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Korby wrote: »
    You could probably save quite a few tris by not modelling the screws, bolts, or that corkscrew on the back. A nice texture would work perfectly fine, I think.

don't worry commenting on his work, he refuses to pull back the poly count due to wanting it to look a certain way, so it's not going to get in game

EDIT: I must have missed that
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't worry commenting on his work, he refuses to pull back the poly count due to wanting it to look a certain way, so it's not going to get in game

What are you saying O_o?Don't you read the replys O_o?

I am going to do 2 version of this,one with a lower level of detail... ._.
    lol,your comment just look stupid now :S
  • erikrotable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    How about you make some items for other classes, rather than just telling people to make stuff?

Do you really thin k i didn't try modelling? I did guess what happened after following a ton of instructions!?
  • erikrotable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Engineer has too many items? Engineer is currently the only class without an item set. Most other classes have 2 item sets now. Engineer has the least amount of items of any class in game. Until the engineer has 3 new item sets in game there won't be too many engineer items.

Also, what Snader said. People can make whatever they choose to for whatever class they want to. Saying "No. Just no." to someone's WIP is just rude.

How is it rude? Engineer has too many items going on atm.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Marcus Aseth

Alot of people are busy when checking PC and dont have time to keep uptodate with everypost. A̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ one tip to save polies. The rest are just highlights i didnt have time to write about but would be common sense anyway ;)

9pu5tbj5.jpg

Do you really thin k i didn't try modelling? I did guess what happened after following a ton of instructions!?

Then why are you here if your willing to learn or put the effort in to learn? No-one here was instantly brilliant at 3d modeling. It takes year/s of practice to get to the quality of the people here.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    How is it rude? Engineer has too many items going on atm.

Erik, if you want to criticize us, then you need to give a valid explanation. Otherwise, just stop talking.

The engineer needs more items, and just because a lot of people are making engi items, it doesn't mean all of them are going to get accepted. Heck, even if they were all to get in-game, why would that hurt you?
  • erikrotable
  • erikrotable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Erik, if you want to criticize us, then you need to give a valid explanation. Otherwise, just stop talking.

The engineer needs more items, and just because a lot of people are making engi items, it doesn't mean all of them are going to get accepted. Heck, even if they were all to get in-game, why would that hurt you?

If they all were to get in-game then Engineer would be extremely Overpowered don't you think? :)
  • erikrotable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well,actually it have some new features so probably require customs animation,I don't know absolutely nothing about animation,but maybe this could prove a "training ground" to finally learn something about.

I put some color to explain how the different pieces have to work:

So,as you can see on the bottom there is a "pump" that the demoman could use with the right mouse button to charge pressure into the weapon(this require unique sound for this weapon,the pressure sound lol).

Evey time the demoman hit the right mouse button,the 3 barrels spin around of 120° & the manometer on the front increase,showing the player how many grenade he have loaded at the same time,this because this weapon have 2 firing mode,the first is the standard grenade with the left mouse,the second fire mode is charging up to 2 time to shot 3 grenade at the same time for a wall of devastastion :) (but my idea was that using the second fire mode the grenade bounce even if it hits a player & scatter all around the floor,exploding after 1.5 second from when they touch the ground,or something like that) useful for make high damage in a wide area,maybe to catch hidden spy or spam on a point while enemy are capturing it :)

As you can see,the reload system is a bit different eheh :)

To balance the spam mode,it have to reload every 3 grenade & maybe is a bit slow recharging compared to the standard one

unled2jh.png

Looking great!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    simmer children
  • Uber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just shut the fuck up and go away you retarded 8 year old team fortress f2p noob. Jesus, your the fundamental entitlement whore that i̶ Everyone hates. You refuse to learn to produce game art and bitch at peoples work when you don't have a bloody clue.

Also use the fucking edit button.

Whoa, you don't need to rage your ass off at him :poly122:
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry, i have a err dislike for people who refuse to listen to reason or put any effort in themselves.

Probably my only real pet hate and hes it personified.
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    Is this guy for real?
    I don't want to continue feeding the troll, just stick to the theme of this thread: team fortress 2 art. Even I try not to post much here since I have not any 3D skills (though sometimes I post some concepts as a source of inspiration or just for fun).
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Zalakzik

I like it overall, but think the barrel is too thick. And not only is the trigger hard to see, seems like the bars would make it unreachable.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry, i have a err dislike for people who refuse to listen to reason or put any effort in themselves.

Probably my only real pet hate and hes it personified.

Cool down, You don't like the guy but that's no reason to go start a flame war.
    If you have a serious problem with someone on the boards then report them.
  • Grimbodan
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    You got names for those brilliant items yet, Grimbodan? You just have to name the pen the Deal with the Devil.
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got names for those brilliant items yet, Grimbodan? You just have to name the pen the Deal with the Devil.

We're packing things up to be submitted now, here's what we're going with

The Aristocratic Assassin (set)
    The Sinister Swindler (hat)
    The Touch of Class (misc)
    The High Society (revolver)
    The Ceasefire (watch)
    The Extended Deadline, Breach of Contract or Contract Killer (knife)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @erikrotable

@Lazerus Reborn

lol thanks, but I pretty much know how to cut the polycount,that ammount of polys was intended :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Marcus, everyone knows that you mean to have it at that amount of triangles. That doesn't mean that it's the right budget for TF2 though. Yes there are a few weapons as high or higher than that, but Valve has really been trying to push optimization lately. They've been removing custom baked normals from models, adding new LODs to weapons and generally avoiding adding in weapons with unnecessarily high triangle counts.

I originally wrote out a long post here but you know how to optimize your model (Or at least you say you do). You just aren't because you intended to have it over budget and unnecessarily high? Most of the extra triangles and loops you've added in certain spots are barely going to help the shading on it and in some cases just flat out won't affect it at all. A lot of us have items in game and know what will improve your chances of getting your item put in. It's your choice in the end whether or not to take that advice.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zipfinator

But I have already take the advice,as I said I am going to have 2 lods,this one & another very optimized,I said to Lazerus that I know how to cut the polycount just to avoid him or someone else to bother themselves writing down that explanation (because i really can do it low poly if I want,just look at this old rifle http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/3188/unled1yoz.png & actually I can go even more low poly if I want)...

I run some test with a flat black color on the model while I was modeling it,to make sure that every silouette doesn't display any low poly profile from player view,I agree I have exagerated it in some parts & i do that even from every other views,I understand that it's not necessary & I understand that valve doesn't take it or doesn't looking for "model that don't have visible low poly silouette",but then why Valve doesn't put all this information on the page with the requirement for the model?!
    In that page I simple read that a weapon could have 8000 tris so I said to myself "nice,so I can make the weapon & at the same time experimenting making a low poly model(7500 tris) that looks almost like the high!!(not 100% cause no normal map here)" but in that page noone talk about "keep it at minimum" so I simple think it was ok in that way for them & for the engine...

But,if they simple want the more low poly possible,they could use the second lod I am doing,so what is the problem if I send this with that?!
  • Evil0live
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Grimbodan

Doesn't the pen seem a little bit large to you? Seems like the size of a marker to me, also kinda clips with the Spy's suit (his wrist). Other then that, looks amazing!
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something about that spy lighter doesn't sit right with me, it just feels like it's in the wrong slot as a watch somehow..

Perhaps if you made it look like the lighter was broken so only the watch part worked? Also the screen looks stuck over the model, it doesn't flow with it, maybe if you added a bezel around it or something?

@ marcus, you seemed kind of arrogant in the earlier posts, so until we see evidence of the lower poly version, that's gona be stuck in our heads
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2m2cggg.png

Anyone have any crits before I send it to valve and upload on gamebanana?
    I wanted to keep the textures simple but if it feels to bare please tell me.

I was thinking of it as a weapon replacement rather than having custom stats.

The names I was thinking of were "The Deadliest Catch" or "Le Crustac
  • JuncoPartner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Bopoe, the peachy colour makes it look a little soft, and jelly like, if at all, it probably should only be inside the claw. The black tips, I think, would look better if they were a darker red/blue. Good job though.
  • roninsmastermix
    If there's everything that we can learn from marcus is his uncompromising resolve. It's a good quality to have and let's not discourage that.

@ Marcus - i see these comments as concerned advice from those who have experience in the TF2 contribution scene. True, many of what they said are not in the contribution page but many of these were from employees and insider information. And these have helped us get our items in the game.

Time to move on i guess.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Flat Face
    marcus, you seemed kind of arrogant in the earlier posts, so until we see evidence of the lower poly version, that's gona be stuck in our heads

Flat Face,I am sorry if I look arrogant,but from my point of view,I put my work in this general topic,then I see what people think about or suggest, & then,I am free to choose what critique follow & what critique skip/ignore because the work is my & I decide how it have to be,even if have to be a piece of crap & be discarded from the game or from the world (& this doesn't want mean that I skip EVERY critique,I simple choose what one I agree with & the ones I do not agree).

I am sorry if this make me look like "arrogant",but personally I find more arrogant who pretend to give "hints" or "suggestions" & go angry like a 10 years old kid if the guy who receive them chose to don't agree or not follow those suggestions,like if there was more orderds than suggestions =_='

So,if someone critique my works I am always happy because it could help me to find weak spots about it,but if the fact that I think that "the work is still my & I do what I want regardless if it's come out like crap(joking,I do my best to don't do crap ;) )" make me an "arrogant" person...well...I'm proud to be it :)
  • Emeriastone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out my firing laser (with sound), when red holds the final point.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwNfBMsbPeA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    c2c4c.png

I'm gonna learn you good, ya hear?

4574d.png
  • randomteddybear
    so I thought I'd make a syringe gun.
    doubleshot.png
    Still got to model the trigger and a few other things. I may end up redoing the battery on the back. Also I'm going to make a charge up animation for it, because I've always wanted a syringe gun that functioned like a shotgun.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty cool random, fit the medic devices, and yet still looks unique
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Bunch of new items on the way in. Looks like a few familiar ones.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2141666
    Schema was updated just now. Here's a diff

http://diffchecker.com/ilouDp9

LOADS of new hats, Hi5 taunt added, will add more.
    New items include: Sniper Bandana Hair, Heavy Bandana Hair, Spy Disguised Hat, Heavy Lumberjack Hat, Demo Hendrix Hat, Engineer Hair, Engineer Blueprints (this?), Mighty Pirate, The Bootlegger (boots), The Scotland Shard (bottle), Bloody Bombs (glasses), Solder Sea Captain Hat, Pyro Sailor Hat, Heavy Gym Hair, Scout Hotdog Hat, Pyro Birdcage Hat (this?), Medic Stahlhelm Hat, Scout Backwards Cap, Sniper Necklace (necklace), Flair Buttons (equippable buttons), Medic Pocket Square, Medic Stethoscope, Spy Inspector Hat, Sniper Cork Hat, Pyro Flamenco Hat, Engineer Cranial Claw, Spy Specs, Scout 3D Glasses, Solder Cowboy Hat, Pyro Conscience (maybe this), Scout Provision Hat.

HiFive Taunt Enabler added, seems to be activated by holding down the taunt button for a few seconds.

The Pummeling Picket has "item_class": "saxxy" and "item_type_name": "TF_Weapon_Sign", and also has customizable textures. Can be used by every class except the Spy and Engineer.

The Bootlegger, Scotland Shard, Bloody Bombs, Mighty Pirate are part of the 'Swashbucklers Swag' set, probably this pack.

The Pocket Medic can now be equipped by the Soldier.

Also added are Photo Badge, ID Badge, Stampable Medal, which have a "can_customize_texture": true, attribute.

Customize Texture Tool is a new tool you can use to create custom textures.

An expiration date attribute was added, use unknown.

Christmas Key 2010 was added, which seems to be a placeholder for a new holiday key.

MNC items were made craftable.

The beta weapons were added, with beta names, which seems to be a mistake.

Update: Valve just rolled back the schema to the previous version. Looks like they pushed it out too early but it's too late, we saw everything.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Check out my firing laser (with sound), when red holds the final point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwNfBMsbPeA&feature=player_embedded
    Somehow it reminds me of this [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cXv9UJkofA[/ame]
    Tell me, does it shoot down BLU's Space Station?
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that map is too epic, more than likely going to be made official :D

Are you going to have something blu fall out of the sky? or an explosion in the sky? cause I feel it would add closure/epicosity :D
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,spent maybe one hour or more cleaning the AO (damn,was very hugly :( ) & now I put some flat color on the low poly to chose the palette I'm going to use,what did you think about this one?

unled1gta.png
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the green doesn't really match anything the demo has already though it may still work, I don't like the colour layout at the moment, I can't really suggest anything better, I just know it doesn't sit right with me.

What about that lower poly version?

EDIT: LOLOL!!!! 2 posts down
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do the other lod after the texturing,so i can simple activate preserve uv,remove edgeloop/target weld & match the uv with the already existing texturing.

So now I try a different combination,maybe i put some color like this http://www.rusco.ca/doorpages/images_hardware/finishes/antique_brass.jpg :)