Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @flat face: read his pevious post. :p
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Ha, you're right. Certainly going to have to fix that. EDIT: and fix it I did

Just base colors on the finished high poly
    jumper_concept.jpg.png
    If any weapons needs Mann Co logo (it's not overused), it's this.

The concept and the idea of the weapon just screams Mann Co. I mean, a rocket launcher with two holes for rockets. One for shooting and one for rocket jumping. The color scheme is also very Mann Co like. Surely it does not need the logo to be made by the company, storywise, but it would fit like a glove on it.

When you contribute it, submit a style with the logo and one with not.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazy-g
    Great as always. Out of curiousity exactly what sort of hat is that? What would you call it?
  • yoplatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a valveless pulse jet, right? I like it.
  • JuncoPartner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy-g wrote: »
    made some muddy graveyard rain boots for my halloween items, added a style for the hat, and made LODs for the weapons. ready to submit if there's no suggestions for improvements:
    pyrohatbootsingame.jpg

This is a great looking set dude, but hm I'm just don't think the hat looks right, it sort of pales in comparison to the rest of the set. I think it would look great if it was bigger and shadowed the pyros eyes abit more, it looks a little dinky. Also the yellow band on the boots would look great if it was that way on that hat too.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everything Junco said. I absolutely love the boots and shovel, though.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazy-g
    What would be really great IMO for the shovel would be a style with a battered shovel that has a smile that looks similiar to the HHH (THAT!)

also love it

the hat could be replaced (in a fairly stupid way) by a raincoat used to cover the face a bit (makeshift hood) like some kind of improvised cover from rain.

And somehow the set reminds me of yorick from league of legends (it's the shovel, definitely the shovel)
    since then I've wanted to attach a lantern to the Pyros gas tank, drooping over his head for some reason
  • blaholtzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic work ronin, the effort you put into it all really shows. he's more machine than man now you made so much stuff :)

made some muddy graveyard rain boots for my halloween items, added a style for the hat, and made LODs for the weapons. ready to submit if there's no suggestions for improvements:
    pyroboots.jpg

in-game:
    pyrohatbootsingame.jpg

painted:
    pyrohatbootsingamepaint.jpg

I love the boots!

though your textures are a bit too realistic looking, especially the flamethrower, could use a bit of detail removed, might make it a little cartoonier.

i think it's mostly the edge highlights
  • blaholtzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, you're right. Certainly going to have to fix that. EDIT: and fix it I did

Just base colors on the finished high poly
    jumper_concept.jpg.png

Make sure to also make the handles actually fit his hands/animations
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    If any weapons needs Mann Co logo (it's not overused), it's this.

The concept and the idea of the weapon just screams Mann Co. I mean, a rocket launcher with two holes for rockets. One for shooting and one for rocket jumping. The color scheme is also very Mann Co like. Surely it does not need the logo to be made by the company, storywise, but it would fit like a glove on it.

When you contribute it, submit a style with the logo and one with not.

Yeah, I was thinking I'd put a logo half hidden by the belt wrapped around the tubes. The image above is of course just base colors assigned to the mesh.

About the funnel at the back, I never actually realized what the technical purpose of that was. :\
    I'll add one on if it's so physically necessary.
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eedo Back is open to let the backblast out, but as the bottom is open (and it's a game) it might not be necessary to open the back.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More changes on the design
    jumper_concept2.png
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No secondary weapon? What a shame.

I was thinking the same thing myself but was too busy with the other items to come up with anything. The theme is an undertaker so i always pictured a shotgun as opposed to a flare gun, that way he could take care of any trespassers who happened to interrupt his work.

If anyone has a design for a shotty and thinks it might fit my other items, i'm open to ideas. My goal is having it (and everything else) done by this weekend, so I gotta hurry though.
    @crazy-g
    Great as always. Out of curiousity exactly what sort of hat is that? What would you call it?

It's kind of a combination shifty loner fedora / rain hat, my working item name was The Shady Character.
    This is a great looking set dude, but hm I'm just don't think the hat looks right, it sort of pales in comparison to the rest of the set. I think it would look great if it was bigger and shadowed the pyros eyes abit more, it looks a little dinky. Also the yellow band on the boots would look great if it was that way on that hat too.
    SgtR007 wrote: »
    I agree with everything Junco said. I absolutely love the boots and shovel, though.

Thanks, and the feedback has really got me thinking. I am definitely going to reshape it to be bigger and lower. Also, i tried the same yellow as the boots on the hat but didn't know if it would fit since the hat is meant to be fabric while the boots match the gloves as both are rubber. I will post that along with the revised hat.
    The Scrub wrote: »
    @crazy-g
    What would be really great IMO for the shovel would be a style with a battered shovel that has a smile that looks similiar to the HHH (THAT!)

also love it

the hat could be replaced (in a fairly stupid way) by a raincoat used to cover the face a bit (makeshift hood) like some kind of improvised cover from rain.

And somehow the set reminds me of yorick from league of legends (it's the shovel, definitely the shovel)
    since then I've wanted to attach a lantern to the Pyros gas tank, drooping over his head for some reason

The HHH face is a good idea, if it doesn't take too much time i will do it.
    blaholtzen wrote: »
    I love the boots!

though your textures are a bit too realistic looking, especially the flamethrower, could use a bit of detail removed, might make it a little cartoonier.

i think it's mostly the edge highlights

Thanks, maybe it's a bad angle (typical cop out :)) but in general it's painterly enough, also the edges are used in the spec so it's not that glaring most of the time.
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What''s the poly count on that, eedobaba?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not a low poly model. Just a high poly model I'm using to conceptualize.
  • fusedgore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    I dont know about anyone else but that rocket launcher is really sick .I want it and I want it now .Also the firemans boots are great .
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reshaped the hat a bit to cover the eyes more, also gave the sides more shape and made it bigger overall. i also think it makes him look angrier which is a plus

pyrohatnew.jpg

here's what i am deciding between for the default color band. the first two match different parts of the mask, and the third matches the gloves. the second style when unpainted has a black band so i was going for something different for the unpainted first style.

pyrohatcolors.jpg
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Completed and submitted as the Spine Chiller! And just for fun:

icepickmockup.jpg

Sure, the flavor text doesn't match the name, but what the hell!

@ crazy-g - I'd prefer #3, as you mentioned, it complements the Pyro's color scheme. But up to you!
  • Vanlande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress!
    Just posting a quick screen of my hat (Aztec Pride, tentative name) after a few days of fighting through hell in order to get it in game. Also did a lot of work on the overall shape, made a AO map, which is the only texture it has (for now), and eventually decided not to use the normal map. I did manage to use it for the ambient occlusion using vray, so not a total loss. Still has a LOT of clipping, however, I noticed the chieftain challange (very similar hat) also has a lot of clipping, in the same area in fact.

aztecpridewip01.jpg

I'm still not sure how to set up the material properly, so if anyone could help me out in that department, I'll really be in your debt.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I will make a few changes in order to "try" to reduce the clipping. And while im at it, I might make the bottom part of the beak, similar to this:

GUERRERO%2BAGUILA.JPG
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man. I'm dubious that it's below 500 faces though. If it is, good job man. Really, it's very well made.
  • Vanlande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man. I'm dubious that it's below 500 faces though. If it is, good job man. Really, it's very well made.

Yeah, ummmm.... concerning that. Its not. Its actually well over 2000 tris. Is that a serious issue? I wasn't really sure what the limit was, so i just tried to do it as low poly as I intended. Anyhow, thanks mate, appreciate it. If i have to optimize the hat, i will.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    it looks awesome in game mate but you'll need to cut the poly count down by half at least :/ a couple pages back there were a few posts about a guys grenade launcher being too high poly, pretty much the same problem here.

Even though it does look epic :P
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly modeling and texturing work on my rocket launcher. Thinking of calling it the Bird's Eye Bomber.

bird_s_eye_bomber.png

bird_s_eye_bomber_v.png
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vanlande wrote: »
    Yeah, ummmm.... concerning that. Its not. Its actually well over 2000 tris. Is that a serious issue? I wasn't really sure what the limit was, so i just tried to do it as low poly as I intended. Anyhow, thanks mate, appreciate it. If i have to optimize the hat, i will.

Valve ask for under 800 tris for a hat. Though lots of Valve hats go over this number, I'd suspect you want to cut down the tris.

http://www.polycount.com/team-fortress-2-polycount-pack/
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Just make sure it's efficient and you should be ok. Hard to tell much without wires, but based on the smoothness of the curves, you probably could afford to trim it down a little bit.
  • roninsmastermix
    Low poly modeling and texturing work on my rocket launcher. Thinking of calling it the Bird's Eye Bomber.

bird_s_eye_bomber.png

bird_s_eye_bomber_v.png

Im not an authority nor an expert in texturing but i feel that the brush stroke contrasts are too high. ideally, you should have 2 contrasting stokes to be distinguishable. (light and dark) You should make the other minor hues very very subtle. For example the lighter strokes on the joints are good in contrast to the darker strokes on the body parts. The body parts though have varying hues. these other hues should be toned down almost to undistinguishable levels.
  • JuncoPartner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reshaped the hat a bit to cover the eyes more, also gave the sides more shape and made it bigger overall. i also think it makes him look angrier which is a plus

pyrohatnew.jpg

here's what i am deciding between for the default color band. the first two match different parts of the mask, and the third matches the gloves. the second style when unpainted has a black band so i was going for something different for the unpainted first style.

pyrohatcolors.jpg

Yeah that's deffinetly looking better man, nice work. I was thinking that the yellow band on the boots were rubber, while the hat's fabric, but I think it's needed to pull the set together. The attendant does something similiar, but I assume you'll be submitting different versions of the hat anyway?

Not sure what you could do for a shotgun without going into the engies territory, but if you wanted to, you try doing a shotgun with a worn blunderbuss style. I also found this which would be quite nice if it was stretched and made bulkier, would probably use the flare anim.
    dscf3733i.jpg

I initially thought the boots were a secondary, like the mantreads, wee booties sort of thing. Something that would work with your set real nicely would be an oil can, that would be intended as a sort of jarate, but it would probably be a gamble doing that over a ranged secondary, then again not many sets have all 3 weapons anyway.

@eedobaba

That launchers looking great now, would interesting to see what they'll do with it, if it gets in.
  • roninsmastermix
    Update on the last weapon on my new engineer set...
    107uzy9.jpg
    Basic Ao test. Missing some more detail but trying to maintain this one simple. Missing the bullet case exit hole. missing some grip details. Tweaking the size. Let me know what you think.
  • mat500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's deffinetly looking better man, nice work. I was thinking that the yellow band on the boots were rubber, while the hat's fabric, but I think it's needed to pull the set together. The attendant does something similiar, but I assume you'll be submitting different versions of the hat anyway?

Not sure what you could do for a shotgun without going into the engies territory, but if you wanted to, you try doing a shotgun with a worn blunderbuss style. I also found this which would be quite nice if it was stretched and made bulkier, would probably use the flare anim.
    dscf3733i.jpg

I initially thought the boots were a secondary, like the mantreads, wee booties sort of thing. Something that would work with your set real nicely would be an oil can, that would be intended as a sort of jarate, but it would probably be a gamble doing that over a ranged secondary, then again not many sets have all 3 weapons anyway.

@eedobaba

That launchers looking great now, would interesting to see what they'll do with it, if it gets in.

Brother ?:
    2076717691_3f2b98cddb.jpg
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

pyrohatnew.jpg

pyrohatcolors.jpg

Definitely would go with #2.
    The last touch, I think, should be some dirt/ mud on the brim of the hat.
    That would tie it in well with the rest of the pack (and it would make sense too).

If you want to make a shotgun, I think the Remington 870 would make sense.
    (sawed off) http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/7/76/SawnoffShotgun2.jpg
    (extended magazine) http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/5/5c/Rem870extwood.jpg/800px-Rem870extwood.jpg

If you can think of spin to put on it, I think it would look pretty nice.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JuncoParker
    I think a worn blunderbuss like your reference pick would look a bit more piratey than anything else. But, the oil can actually sounds a good idea, I guess if he needed to work it into the gravedigger theme he could say it's lamp oil. I'd imagine if it got in game the obvious stats would be to make whoever is covered with oil burn longer. Then again it's a shame that at the moment it couldn't be used as a reskin without making it for another class.
  • JuncoPartner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JuncoParker
    I think a worn blunderbuss like your reference pick would look a bit more piratey than anything else. But, the oil can actually sounds a good idea, I guess if he needed to work it into the gravedigger theme he could say it's lamp oil. I'd imagine if it got in game the obvious stats would be to make whoever is covered with oil burn longer. Then again it's a shame that at the moment it couldn't be used as a reskin without making it for another class.

Read a llittle more carefully, the shotgun in the pic is not a blunderbuss, and was a separate suggestion to doing a blunderbuss. Also the actual flamethrower appears to use oil anyway, though the actual model could be an unlit oil lamp, at least then it could smash like jarate.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not an authority nor an expert in texturing but i feel that the brush stroke contrasts are too high. ideally, you should have 2 contrasting stokes to be distinguishable. (light and dark) You should make the other minor hues very very subtle. For example the lighter strokes on the joints are good in contrast to the darker strokes on the body parts. The body parts though have varying hues. these other hues should be toned down almost to undistinguishable levels.

Of all people, I should take your advice. :poly142:
    I'll bring down the contrast on those body brush strokes.
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dscf3733i.jpg

@JuncoParker

I actually concepted out a shotgun that fits the flare gun animations, so great minds, eh :). Even though there is no animation of removing the empty shell, i think it is still believable looking enough considering the soldier loads 4 rockets into one tube. I really like some elements from that pic, so i will definitely incorporate them, thanks. It will be less pistol like though so it doesn't look piratey, just a Single Shotgun.

The big thing is a throwable requires new animations so that was off limits, and i always considered the boots a misc as i learned the hard way not to try and make them a weapon with an effect :\.
    RedSheep wrote: »
    Definitely would go with #2.
    The last touch, I think, should be some dirt/ mud on the brim of the hat.
    That would tie it in well with the rest of the pack (and it would make sense too).

If you want to make a shotgun, I think the Remington 870 would make sense.
    (sawed off) http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/7/76/SawnoffShotgun2.jpg
    (extended magazine) http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/5/5c/Rem870extwood.jpg/800px-Rem870extwood.jpg

If you can think of spin to put on it, I think it would look pretty nice.

I love the idea of adding dirt, but i don't know how well it will play with paint. If i can't get it to look good, i'll go with 3 to tie it together, otherwise dirt and 2.

Funny you should mention a Remington 870, that was the first one i looked to make since i made one for UT3 a while back. The key is putting a spin on it as you said but i could not make it unique in TF2 compared to stock so i scrapped the idea early and went the flare gun way.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of work done compiling w and v models for the Bird's Eye Bomber. Of course it still works like a normal rocket launcher, but it looks good in game.

Screen_shot_2011-10-01_at_3.35.25_PM.png

Screen_shot_2011-10-01_at_3.37.23_PM.png

Screen_shot_2011-10-01_at_3.37.53_PM.png
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wip on spy bayonet I'm making
    6yiis5.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    Update again...
    6201874050_1d86183ae0_b.jpg
    Let me know what you think.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hatch that the spent casings come out of looks to be in the wrong place and the circle at the back is too big. I like it tho.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eedobaba7726 very cool and original concept i like it however i cant help but think the handles kinda look weird
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Juncopartner
    I knew it wasn't a blunderbluss, perhaps I should have typed "worn blunderbuss style gun", my mistake. But the point is that one looks way too old, like 1600-1700s old.
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    Which one?:

energizera.jpg

I like #1 because it's simplistic but it may be dull as well.

EDIT: It's a melee weapon for the engie.

EDIT again: ooops forgot to comment. That's a pretty cool looking piece of work edobaba.
  • ChrisPR7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    promo_image.png

This is just beautiful. Awesome work, man.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera wrote: »
    Which one?:

energizera.jpg

I like #1 because it's simplistic but it may be dull as well.

I like the ones with the orange cord, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. Melee weapon?

@ChrisPR7
    Thanks man :)
  • roninsmastermix
    promo_image.png

Splendid work. Looks really well made. Aside from minor nitpicks this should be paired with a few items to make a pack.

@ruskeydoo - You're right. I'll work on those next. I'll try and see if i can place that bullet exit hole at the appropriate position.
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic work ronin, the effort you put into it all really shows. he's more machine than man now you made so much stuff :)

pyroboots.jpg

in-game:
    pyrohatbootsingame.jpg

painted:
    pyrohatbootsingamepaint.jpg

Wow, when I suggested such a thing, I never imagined such a phenomenal turn out! I'm glad they turned out nice, I'd be willing to bet you're a shoe-in (hehe) for contribution on this set!
  • Vanlande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update. This a basic idea of the color palette. I kinda like it, but I'm not sure. I had no idea how to do the eyes, so I slapped on a basic color. It also has the ambient occlusion mapped on. To be honest, I'm not to good with textures so crits will be really appreciated.
    azcolors01.jpg
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @APesquera
    I personally like the ones with the stickers, 2 & 3. If I had to pick one I'd say 2.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Vanlande wrote: »
    Another quick update. This a basic idea of the color palette. I kinda like it, but I'm not sure. I had no idea how to do the eyes, so I slapped on a basic color. It also has the ambient occlusion mapped on. To be honest, I'm not to good with textures so crits will be really appreciated.
    azcolors01.jpg

Looks good, keep it up.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty good vanlande,

TF2 tex is pretty simple, so you're pretty close as is. It just has a fairly 'dirty' AO, and some noticeable square brush strokes.

I'd probably make the 'earrings' gold. But it probably doesn't matter either way.

As far as tri count, I bet you could knock the head down by half and still look just as good in game. Things like the ribs going into the feathers could be flat, but keep the AO from this and that'll be enough detail.

One good way to judge that is open the model viewer and load other hats. You can select the LOD models. The hi poly can look pretty good, but the lowest poly models of hats and weapons look pretty crappy. But you're looking at maybe 50x50 pixels when they are low LOD, so you can't even tell in game.

Even up close on the hi's just standing still is the only time you really notice when things look rough.