Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    He's called Larolaro, he also did the homewrecker and tank buster pack.

There should be a Maya importer and exporter, however i wouldn't know how to get A TF2 style shader in it.

Toon shading with rimlighting and phong is ithe shader at its simplest I think.
    THX :p
    Larolaro ok :P i hope he doesn't hate me for asking such questions for he is a good artist and i am new to this. My main problem is the reflectivity of the same obsidian While it is not a metal it's more like a mineral, volcanic one. It has a lot of details so i have to delete a lot of em to fit style.
    obsidiana%2B014.jpg

I found a post of how to make spec maps for TF2 and it says this:

"Most metal textures you see on models in TF2 will be accompanied by a specular map. These spec maps are generally based on the diffuse texture with ambient occlusion included. Including ambient occlusion in the specular map helps to emphasize the shininess of the edges by making anything in crevices dull."
    So it means that if i combine both AO and Diffuse i will have a good Spec map for tf2? is this part that confuse me -->"Including ambient occlusion in the specular map " or he refers that i have to make the Spec map and add it AO? I am very confussed in that sense, i know how to make AO maps so i hoe it will be easy to combine both.:poly141:
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you multiply the AO over the spec map, and then flatten the image and add it too the diffuses alpha channel. You don't put it on anything transparent though like on the syringegun.
  • roninsmastermix
    50calibersnipersample11.jpg
    My never ending quest to get the best possible color scheme for this pack. Version 11. Thoughts on it?
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    I know I'm coming in late but it seems every sniper rifle is trying to one up the last one in size, I would LOVE your gun if it were closer to the original size :/ and I also think the backpack is a little too busy, it may or may not change the silhouette of the sniper too
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Not really digging the high contrast colours on the rifle and the metal pretty much blends into the vest which is going to be pretty horrible when it comes to reading the model from a distance. The off white works well for the hat and pack as it's a suitably canvas-like colour but you're again going to run into problems with the colours blending together on the rifle if he's wearing the pack.

What about carrying the cool greys from the pans and koala onto the metal parts of the gun, similar to what you had in one of the earlier incarnations. You could probably get away with using the off white to pick out details.

I think you're kinda agonising over it all a bit too much.

EDIT: I while the silhouette change might be a valid concern, I don't think it's too busy. There's a fair bit of detail on it, but the forms are clear and well defined. It's a nice model.
  • ThreeEyedRanger
    50calibersnipersample11.jpg
    My never ending quest to get the best possible color scheme for this pack. Version 11. Thoughts on it?
    I think the color of the pack should be a bit darker than the rest of the set. Also the rifle could be downsized a tad, mostly on the barrel and scope. Other than that, nice job.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Ronin,

I like the base color of the pack, but I think it almost blocks the team colors too much since it's big.
    Maybe make the bedroll a team color, and put a big color patch above the pockets or on the top flap.
    edit...

Got it showing, had to quit game, close steam, reload
  • John Arrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm working on this oilcan weapon for the pyro, since he's the only class without a weapon item (scout's drinks and milk; soldier's boots and backpacks; demoman's shields: you get the picture). It would, in theory, drop a flammable trail of oil across the ground wherever the pyro ran when holding it. However, I need advice on two things:pyro_oilcan.png
    First, the colours.
    1) Plain team-colour plastic
    2) Dull version of team colours
    3) Team coloured "near-black"
    4) Colour connected to team (brown or grey-blue)
    5) Clear plastic, showing oil
    6) Solid black

The other thing is a company, or companies, to go on the label. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
  • ThreeEyedRanger
    I dig the tone on the backpack and the hat, but the rifle could be a bit darker than the rest. Also, downsize the rifle scope and barrel, and then you're good.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the 1st model I made for TF2 though never finished because I wasn't happy with it.

ohohoho.jpg

Notice the reflections skew? I would want that fixed before submitting it but I have no clue how to alter reflections, I looked into it and I have seriously no idea, I can't do anything about them in max so yeah.. halp?

oh and does TF2 support 2 sided faces? it would save on polys if it did :P

1 moar pic

th_bottleneardone.jpg

*a couple vids of the animations I whipped up for it*
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZkfLfugxOE[/ame]

when I get to jiggle boning it again *hah, boning* I'll need a little help because as you can see, the glass skews, I just made it go up and down but angled the bones so it went with the shape of the bottle a little more :/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_w-trNy73Q[/ame]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAND

Here's the pipe up against the demo, I made a darker texture to match the stovepipe *inspiration for the piece* buut I still think it needs a little work :P

yourface.jpg

GODANGIT.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flatface,

the bottle doesn't look too bad. I believe the cubemap is just applied to the uv's, so if they are sloppy then it will be too.

twosided won't save polys, because they just get duplicated in game anyway with the material. So might as well just model it how you want it.
  • roninsmastermix
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Not really digging the high contrast colours on the rifle and the metal pretty much blends into the vest which is going to be pretty horrible when it comes to reading the model from a distance. The off white works well for the hat and pack as it's a suitably canvas-like colour but you're again going to run into problems with the colours blending together on the rifle if he's wearing the pack.

What about carrying the cool greys from the pans and koala onto the metal parts of the gun, similar to what you had in one of the earlier incarnations. You could probably get away with using the off white to pick out details.

I think you're kinda agonising over it all a bit too much.

EDIT: I while the silhouette change might be a valid concern, I don't think it's too busy. There's a fair bit of detail on it, but the forms are clear and well defined. It's a nice model.
    I am somewhat agonizing to a degree but i find solace in the fact that i just want the best for this pack and not settling with what just works.
  • roninsmastermix
    Flat Face wrote: »
    I know I'm coming in late but it seems every sniper rifle is trying to one up the last one in size, I would LOVE your gun if it were closer to the original size :/ and I also think the backpack is a little too busy, it may or may not change the silhouette of the sniper too
    50calibersnipersample3.jpg
    Gun proportions if it helps.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Likewise, I want to make this the best it can be so I'm not rushing it like past submissions.

Got it in game, I think I've got the scale about where I want it. Was longer but couldn't see the head in 1st person like the rest of the melee's.

Really curious what everyone thinks of the alpha on top. That's pretty close to the original design from the pics I found, and the tex is only placeholder. But is the lack of depth really going to be a drawback?
    To model it would take a lot of polys.

Right now it sits at 592 tris. Well, the Axtinguisher is around 2500 tris and no LOD, so I guess I answered my own question. I have some polys to use and could use this as an LOD I guess.

But still, would like overall impressions of set so far.

liberty_pyro.jpg

I'd also like to do an anim where the taunt is a thrust upward into a statue of liberty pose.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd suggest actually modelling that alpha'd section, it's very noticeable but submit this as a low poly version :)

Ronin, yeah the gun its self isn't THAAT much bigger, just the scope and the barrel seem a tad too exaggerated in my opinion, the scope on the original model is already large and this is even bigger, y'know? maybe I'm just being a picky knob, I duno :P

Just mucking around in max cause I couldn't sleep.

Now that I could compare the darker texture, it was too dark to match the stove but it looks perfect now I think :) and I've tweaked the model again.

Oh and that eye... oh god.. like yeah nah, it's cool y'know, I didn't want to sleep again anyway
    254733_249624501732174_100000538785327_969076_437450_n.jpg
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umbrella for demo :D
    Perfectly with Stove pipe :)
    Untextured
    Nuclear_umbrella.png

-10% explosion self damage
    -40% fall damage
    -75% damage
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Flat, I think the demo looks good with pipe.

I decided to try modelling, probably the way to go
    libtorchHigh.jpg
    Sitting at 3208 tris. Can probably shave some segments from the handle, etc..maybe a couple hundred. Still need to uv/edit it.

Even though the original statue has the rods holding the spikes I may just attach the spikes to the loop, don't want to add more tris to rods to bend em, and they make it too busy imo. Will also shave about 100 tris that way.
  • KOS-MOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure where to put this, but, if I'm going to attempt at making a Misc. item that would go around the very top of the shoulder and dangle loosely down from there, what bone do I work from? Is it still bip_head?
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :) I've I've been thinking about hats and such that I'd like to use myself, the stovepipe needed to be more refined :P and I don't like any other demo hats :/

I LOVE the way it looks in 3d although I still highly suggest submitting the other version as a low poly LOD or just low poly version for those of us who can't run it properly with the HD models running around :/
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to do some final tweaks to the items, make the LODs for them, put together a promotional image and then submit.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog the modeling makes it look way better
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to do some final tweaks to the items, make the LODs for them, put together a promotional image and then submit.

Good Luck Zipfinator!!
  • roninsmastermix
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent to the contribute few minutes ago :)
    Texas grouch!
    On hit the enemy:+20 metal;
    +25% damage from melee sources while active;
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those look fantastic, the metal is very bland but looks better darker but just sex.

And Badcog, The 2d version could be the world model and the 3d version the 1st person model, would save a lot of space :P
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalakzik wrote: »
    Umbrella for demo :D
    Perfectly with Stove pipe :)
    Untextured
    Nuclear_umbrella.png

-10% explosion self damage
    -40% fall damage
    -75% damage

Mary Poppins meets unwarranted brutality and wholesale manslaughter
    one of the most beautiful and horrific things ever thought up by the human mind.
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it appears that my post has been drowned in the river of good images posted here

is it possible to add custom animations, such as new reload animations?
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes but whether or not they're included is up to valve :/
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killicon for Texas grouch
    killicon.png
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    50calibersnipersample12.jpg
    progress...

If you're still considering on which colour scheme to use, why not use both and make them teamcolours? They both seem to fit the respective team.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking the dark color for the tip, scope and mag, and the brown for the body.
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i8rUy.png

I need some help with the colour scheme. Gray just looks boring and incredibly dull ingame, but this is just not fitting. At all. Any ideas?
  • Essence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    977e9e0e5c652a040e31a10fba2ee17e.png

I don't know of many animators in the TF2 Emporium over on Facepunch, so I'd thought I'd come here to see if I could receive any help on animating this thing.

So far, I've asked MaxOfS2D and Sparkwire, both of which politely declined.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    e6bd684caa442a139c584811fe746ed8.png

He really is quite insane.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slider wrote: »
    i8rUy.png

I need some help with the colour scheme. Gray just looks boring and incredibly dull ingame, but this is just not fitting. At all. Any ideas?

I liked the last color scheme man, i think it was a kind of blue? or purple? also you can try with mustard or golden to replace the brown area.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Slider, I actually like it a lot.

This is it for the day, I think it's really close. just over 3k tris (youch, am still going to add a gold flame to top with the gold hammer shader.)

Then I'll make an LOD or two. I've decided to skip alpha all together. Instead I'll just use the outside faces of the deco, then flip the normals for backside. And the handle will be 5 sided, instead of 9, and the top round will be maybe 9 sides instead of 16... I'll be able to break it down quite a bit.

LIB_01.jpg
  • Ninjentleman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ronin: I am really fond of the sniper rifle with the sniper pants color.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
  • Nzdjh
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Nzdjh awesome idea!! a shotgun and also a melee weapon or the horshoe is just aestethic? Well i think it's up to Valve so sad we can't create new type of weapons. You made the belt too? i don't understand what is the thing in the right side of it.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Looks to be a lasso, considering the other items.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the right side of the image not of the Engineer :P it looks like a bag for the horseshoes or something like that...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @E-Barron and Marshal Banana, if you're talking about that orange thing on the right of the belt that's just a piece of wire wrapped up. That's been on the Engineer since the 2007 release.

@Sexy Robot, did you group up all of the items in that toolbox onto one new material or is it referencing all of the materials from their original counterparts? If it's just referencing the current materials then that's going to be quite a few drawcalls for one item.

EDIT:
    @E-Barron, that's just a pouch that's also been on the Engineer since 2007 release.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit strange people haven't realized that lasso/extension cord was there until now.
  • roninsmastermix
    50calibersnipersample13.jpg
    Version 13.
    Shortened the scope on the rifle.
    Fixed the textures due to that shortening of the scope. (the whole body needs repainting)
    Fixed the phongmask of the rifle.
    Made a blue version from with the blue sniper pants color.
    Compared with other sniper sets. Same pose, different loadouts.
    Somewhat happy how blue turned out.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice i like the 4th one with the regular charger, color and model
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    roninsmastermix submit it already, its good to go.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks real nice Ronin. Seems like a nice natural extention of the original TF2 mercenary style. Are you planning to do a Melee for the set too?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I reckon you've nailed that now, Ronin. Nice work.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Essence wrote: »
    977e9e0e5c652a040e31a10fba2ee17e.png

I don't know of many animators in the TF2 Emporium over on Facepunch, so I'd thought I'd come here to see if I could receive any help on animating this thing.

So far, I've asked MaxOfS2D and Sparkwire, both of which politely declined.

Very nice weapon there, but i have to nitpick some parts of the design. While it looks like a roman ballista/catapult, it clearly operates like a medieval crossbow. probably intentional and for identification purposes, but thats the first thing that i noticed. :p