Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not sure that the stats will be that overpowered. Have you guys even used them yet? I haven't, but I'm waiting to comment on them until I see them in action.
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    Me, I just think that one thing I really liked about tf2 was the justified way the weapons worked and are designed as in real would engineering. This kinda sets a different precedence.
    Dunno , I could be way off and wrong.

edit;
    saying that the medi gun fits these weapons better than anything so i guess Im wrong
    One good thing is we now have a "Pistol" animation for the soldier ..:poly121:
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    havent tried them yet but those stats are just ridiculous, also dpont get me started on those mutton chops. for once i can say im mad-ish at valve, i was expecting something epic and just is just....blahg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Does anyone have a QC file for an axe (pyro melee). I've got mine modeled now and want to get it in game, but cannonfodder's decompiler won't load c files.

And I can't find the info ANYWHERE. Is it close enough to hats to just use one of my qc files from that?

Also, does anyone know how to compile styles into a hat?

Please help, and thanks in advance. It's getting late so I'm giving up for tonight.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Does anyone have a QC file for an axe (pyro melee). I've got mine modeled now and want to get it in game, but cannonfodder's decompiler won't load c files.

And I can't find the info ANYWHERE. Is it close enough to hats to just use one of my qc files from that?

Also, does anyone know how to compile styles into a hat?

Please help, and thanks in advance. It's getting late so I'm giving up for tonight.

did you hex the mdls?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need to use another weapon's QC file. Just compile it as you would a hat but with "weapon_bone" as the bone.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow i read a lot of theories, some of them said a new class was comming, or that the pyro was an alien, or that Grocket was for G-man so a Half Life 3 was comming, but this new weapons are awful, imagine all the unballance that this will cuase, now the man that has more money and not the skill will be the victoruous one :S. I am the new wave of "free to play guys" but i loved this of all others that are free cause its balanced, take Battle Fieldh Heroes for example, there if you can pay for the good weapons you are the "bad ass " of the game. :S I hope valve do something to balance the game T_T
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote:
    You don't need to use another weapon's QC file. Just compile it as you would a hat but with "weapon_bone" as the bone.

Man speaking of the bone do I have to parent my weapon with that bone in Maya which is I use or can i parent the model and the bone with programming?, also how can i know which bone is because I can load two models, the rigged one and the reference one, but the two of them have bones and i don't know which is the correct, one, many thanks. I have a model that i wish to test in game and also in the model viewer, an answer will be appreciated.
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Used a 'modded' server to test the new stuff. It's weird to use, doesn't really fit, but surely isn't as overpowered as I expected.

They still require being 'cranked' in a way, reloading of sorts. The building disablement and minicrits is an alt-fire. This blast sets enemies on fire, and send them flying.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    e-barron wrote: »
    wow i read a lot of theories, some of them said a new class was comming, or that the pyro was an alien, or that Grocket was for G-man so a Half Life 3 was comming, but this new weapons are awful, imagine all the unballance that this will cuase, now the man that has more money and not the skill will be the victoruous one :S. I am the new wave of "free to play guys" but i loved this of all others that are free cause its balanced, take Battle Fieldh Heroes for example, there if you can pay for the good weapons you are the "bad ass " of the game. :S I hope valve do something to balance the game T_T
    The Grordbort's gear appears in drops as well as being able to be traded and crafted just like anything else. Even the exclusive items that come with games are only kept that way temporarily before becoming at least tradable if not craftable and droppable too.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AH, thanks Zipf, this weekened then...
  • Kiamberm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ya, I'm looking to start modeling some TF2 items and was wondering if there's anything I need/need to know before I start. I'll be using 3ds Max.
  • Korby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankfully, the only weapons so far that are buy-only are just reskins, such as the mailbox and the golf club. I really do hope it stays that way.

Also, I probably won't play too much until the hype of the new weapons dies down a bit more.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korby wrote: »
    Thankfully, the only weapons so far that are buy-only are just reskins, such as the mailbox and the golf club. I really do hope it stays that way.

Also, I probably won't play too much until the hype of the new weapons dies down a bit more.

The Postal Pummeler and Nessie's Nine Iron aren't buy only. You can get them through crafting using melee tokens. There just aren't specific recipes for them.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess I'll post the progress so far...

The Liberty Torch... Pyro melee to match the liberty spikes. Same size as axe.

Figure it would be good skin for the Rift Axe, lights on contact.
    Not sure if it will have particle flame (possible?) or just a shiny gold flame (gold like the wrench)
    liberty_torch.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the detail on the liberty torch all alphaed? I'd think it'd be a good idea to get a bit more geometry oing in there so it isn't so obviously paper thin. I'd probably make the upper ring and little spearhead shapes geo. You might be able to get away with keeping the rest alpha.
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    The Postal Pummeler and Nessie's Nine Iron aren't buy only. You can get them through crafting using melee tokens. There just aren't specific recipes for them.
    They also drop. I got a nine-iron the other night.
  • Colossal
  • Grimbodan
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this looking better, slightly thinned out the trigger guard:

ao2.jpg

Yes or No?
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    cmon someone's got to be able to help me

ContinuingCompleteMap.png

you can see the problem :/
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this Requires some fast modelling.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »
    this Requires some fast modelling.

Not sure what you mean by this? The item in that image was just put in game today. It and the other new soldier items were made by one of the guys at Weta.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah

BTW, what are the file names for the new weapons? Because I've just looked through HLMV and I can't find them.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face wrote: »
    cmon someone's got to be able to help me

ContinuingCompleteMap.png

you can see the problem :/
    What does the model look like?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    come on, the new weapons are made by WETA. I mean, WETA !
    WETA is awesome, Valve is awesome, awesome sauce !
    But yeah, i wondered why the 60's sci-fi wasn't more exploited, looks like it's the answer.
    And yeah they should fix the alpha on the beard, wtf
  • re.wind
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st person clipping checks out (sorry for the quick unwrap):

v_1.jpg

Can't see anything too obvious.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    It's time for Engineer laser weapons.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh the space weapons are paining me, I just don't see them fitting in but then again, valve doesn't seem to think that's important anymore

EDIT:

I've edited it since but you get the general idea with this pic; PS in case you didn't see my last post about it, the AO bake is treating most edges as if they're sharp and I want them to be seen as smooth

An unrelated question, anyone know if it's possible to have 2 perspective views linked? like move one and the other moves too but have different settings, like 1 wireframe and the other smooth+Highlights?

th_1st.jpg

th_ContinuingCompleteMap.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ColonelBD,

Yeah I think that looks better on the trig guard. The clipping looks fine.
    @ JackaBlade,

I think once I have some detail painted on it'll be better (it's ribbed upside down U's basically - a rib on top and bottom.
    That'll give the tex a little more depth.

I don't think it'll be too noticeable in game. It's either alpha or tons of polys. If it was only a few more I'd just do polys, but that would probably double or triple the count.

Hopefully I'll have an in-game shot this weekend. Then make the hard choice based on that.
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face wrote: »
    I've edited it since but you get the general idea with this pic; PS in case you didn't see my last post about it, the AO bake is treating most edges as if they're sharp and I want them to be seen as smooth

An unrelated question, anyone know if it's possible to have 2 perspective views linked? like move one and the other moves too but have different settings, like 1 wireframe and the other smooth+Highlights?

Unfortunately, I can't give a good answer to the first question. If nothing seems to work, I'd try using either an Mental Ray bake or just slapping a turbosmooth on there and try baking that out. As for the second question, you could always create a camera (Ctrl+c) and link two viewports to that camera. Then, just set wireframe on one, smoothshading on the other. The problem then becomes one of controlling the viewport.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I stick mental ray in there I get just a black texture :/

Unless I don't use the skylight, then I just get a bake but 1 side is shadowed

EDIT:

here's what I get with turbo smooth, just changes to a different problem :/

th_ContinuingCompleteMap-1.png

Someone's got to know what to do here? I can't be the 1st person to need to bake a smooth AO for a low poly model

Ah whatever, it's such a small thing, I've just photoshopped the 2 bakes together to get the texture going, the main problem is the way I unwrapped it but I don't think I could have gotten a better unwrap to be honest.

twilldo.jpg
    Although I'd still like to figure out how to do those things properly :/

And Bear, I use 3ds max :/ with some googling I came accross a guy switching from blender to max and the smooth modifier was the max = of the blender smooth but Edge split huh? hmm I'll have a look into similar modifiers and see what results I can get :P

A question about the unwrap though, here's how I did it..

th_unwrap.jpg

th_wireframe.jpg

Was I right in the way I unwrapped it? could you guys come up with a less terrible way? I was somewhat stuck with the texture because I had to avoid where it skewed :/

th_pipetexture.jpg
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another collab with JZeeba I'm working on

The "Contract Killer" or "Executive Executor"

wHxt4.jpg
    Si3bp.jpg
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    Try to fix the position of the pen in his hand.
    Yeah, JZeeba mentioned that he was going to work on a better positioning soon and that the one pictured here is a bit off.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Flat Face i know if you use blender you just need to set smooth in conjunction with the edge split modifier while marking the appropriate sharp edges
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this ain't nearly as good as the one Swizzle did somewhere around page 189 (I think it was before that, but I really can't remember.), but I just loved the reference picture so much, I had to make my own.

WXEvn.png

Yes, my texturing is terrible.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    needs more brush strokes, you hardly have any.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Grimbodan wrote: »
    Here's another collab with JZeeba I'm working on

The "Contract Killer" or "Executive Executor"

Try to fix the position of the pen in his hand.
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even moar progress on engy shotgun:
    rifle_progress_3.png
    C&C are welcome.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    ShakerSilver, Could we have a wireframe? somethings being messed up on the stock, and the bottom of the main piece.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I am working with an Aztec Packand this is the first weapon of the pack that I am making probably for the soldier and demo.

I am trying to achieve a Diffuse Color that is somehow similar to obsidian for the cutting part of the Weapon, I have something but i am not completely sure if it fits the TF2 style and if it looks like the image below.
    obsidiana.jpg296564671_tp.jpg

This is what i have. I have the wood and the obsidian, what do you think of these textures? is my obsidian somehow similar to the real one, also does it looks to be sharp? CRITZ AND COMMENTS PLEASE :)
    prueba2vj.jpg
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry: Here ya go:
    details1.png
    The bottom part was probably just some messed up shading, but the stock, well... yeah. Gonna fix that up later though, cause now it's 2 AM here @_@
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Began work on "Prim hellbender" set for demo,first of all "Destructive glance"- monocle,similarity demo emblem
    Till untextured
    destructive_glance.jpg
    How it to you guys?
  • roninsmastermix
    stahlhelmfinal.jpg
    Submitting this shortly. Model by me and texture by the lovely Pie-tony. Stahlhelm for the Medic, Heavy and the Demoman. Has 3 styles. (Goggle Up, Goggle Down and Glowing Goggles)
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing work hope to see it soon in game
  • Ninjentleman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it would be interesting if there was a gunboats replacement that would negate fall-damage so I came up with this concept:

Soldier_Paratrooper_Concept.png
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    stahlhelmfinal.jpg
    Submitting this shortly. Model by me and texture by the lovely Pie-tony. Stahlhelm for the Medic, Heavy and the Demoman. Has 3 styles. (Goggle Up, Goggle Down and Glowing Goggles)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I see my gun in there :D:D:D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the Helmet Ronin,

Did you compile the styles or just including them? If you did can you shed a light on how to do it?
  • roninsmastermix
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Love the Helmet Ronin,

Did you compile the styles or just including them? If you did can you shed a light on how to do it?

i'm not sure if i understand you correctly but to relate what i did...

I made 2 .mdl files each class, one with Goggle Up and one with Goggle down. Both models use the same texture for optimization's sake. So all in all it's a total of 6 models (2x per class) 3 red team textures and 3 blu team textures, 1 phong mask for all of them. Then made screenshot with HLMV swapping hats and weapons while on some poses. Edited in Photoshop without touching color and tint properties.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm not sure if i understand you correctly but to relate what i did...

I made 2 .mdl files each class, one with Goggle Up and one with Goggle down. Both models use the same texture for optimization's sake. So all in all it's a total of 6 models (2x per class) 3 red team textures and 3 blu team textures, 1 phong mask for all of them. Then made screenshot with HLMV swapping hats and weapons while on some poses. Edited in Photoshop without touching color and tint properties.

OK thanks. I'm just wondering if style models/textures need compiled into the model, or if that's some in game scripting that Valve handles.

Seeing as how we don't have Valve qc's, and I've found nothing searching. i figured it was like skin families, put them in the qc, compile...

But this might be completely different models scripted instead. The only thing i thought to look at was the ullapool. Should've looked at the scout beanie as the styles on that are texture swaps.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    fc191ca627459ef206e22136fe8321d0.png

1aa0dd90e8f4a2c1ecb9605c50d3093e.png

24adb94bacf51b4d61ea6da0d62798ae.png

Something I did today cos' I was bored, there is heated debate on what the colour scheme should be over on Facepunch.