Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-barron wrote: »
    I liked how it appeared to be more big than the new one and well designed, or at least i see it that way., also have you considered making a bunch of bullets comming from the ammo box to the weapon (that to demostrate that the weapon is chargin those bullets from the box and not comming from i don't know where) like all the other miniguns?

ok thanks, ill definetly add a chain off bullets going into the gun a la natascha, also the old ammo box was prett much a square, so maybe make the new one more boxy? or should i just make it bigger
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doughnut Bear maybe beveling some edges , also you can add some details like these to make the box more interesting :ammobox.jpg
    jaja well those are just recommendations you can make what you want with your model :P
  • THIRD_D4Y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a heavy hat that i've been working on with some basic colors. which is better with normals:

TF2BEAR.pngTF2BEAR2.png

or without:

TF2BEAR2%252528NONORM%252529.png

also thoughts?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    81769629.jpg

started to add in a proper ammo belt
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better man U.U, are you convinced with it?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-barron wrote: »
    much better man U.U, are you convinced with it?

Thanks! i guess adding an ammo belt can go a long way :D not sure what you mean by "are you convinced with it?" though
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol what i mean is that if you are happy with the result, that's what matters at the end...:P
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its slowly getting there for me :)
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doughnut Bear: Couple of other people have said this but i think the textures could do with a bit more work; Just a few details and that :)

I need a bit of help with something: I have recently compiled a weapon i modelled a while ago into TF2 because i friend suggested it.

I have done the animation for it and works in the model viewer, But as soon as i apply it to another model (load player model, Load weapon etc..., Also does this ingame as well) the weapon doesn't move. The animation is a 10 frame loop of it spinning round. Any ideas on how to fix? I presume it's possible because that awesome medigun randomteddybear made had a custom idle animation.

For reference here's my QC:

$modelname weapons/crazymachete.mdl
    $cdmaterials models/weapons/crazymachete/
    $model studio "wierdmachete_ref_tf2.smd"
    $sequence idle "wierdmachete_idle_tf2.smd" ACT_VM_IDLE 1 loop fps 30
    $definebone "weapon_bone" "weapon_bone" 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -20 0 0 180 0

Thanks for any advice provided. :)

If it makes any difference here's a video of it not working :)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFH4cwUnU-Y[/ame]
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man i read the post of the rotating medigun and other people said that the animation was no appropiate because tf2 developers had no integration procedure for that ... sorry if you don't understand, the english is not my native language
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Macgta ya i was working on those, changed some things and then started over so one i finish up the revised model i will lay down a final texture for it. also as far as your weapon goes i dont think there is a way to get custom animations in game, or so ive heard.
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well its finally released, I thought I'd write this up for anyone who was interested. First off, I really tried to make to model cheaper in terms of performance cost. I ended up toning down Recurracy's particles because of that. It includes lods(see here). The texturing is a bit odd but try to follow me here and I'll try to explain why I did things the way I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UypyBM9LUUY

more screenshots here

The model is unwraped to use 2 separate sets of uv coordinates. The reason for this is so there is part of the model using a normal mapped phong material and the other a standard phong material. Areas of the model that used the normal map detail where closer to the player and benefited from the extra detail(coils, indicator light.) Areas of the model that where further away or in motion used a standard material(the majority of the spinning claw.) The belt part of the model was part of a separate texture entirely due to the fact it needed to use a texture scroll proxy. I really tried to stay away from using a any 1024x1024 textures because of the contribution guide lines.

1 1024x1024 normal map w/alpha - used for the handle and motor, the alpha contains the phong mask

2 512x512 diffuse maps w/alpha - red/blu used for the handle and motor, the alpha contains the self illumination mask

2 512x512 diffuse maps w/alpha - red/blu used for the claws, the alpha contains the phong mask

1 256x256 self illumination map - used for the claw fluid/emitters

1 256x128 diffuse map - used for the belt

1 256x128 normal map w/alpha - used for the belt, the alpha contains the phong mask

That being said I'll move on to the model itself, there are 2 versions of the model. A version with static autoplaying idle animations(used for the replacement), and a version for valve with three blend animations.
    blends.png

Blend animations in the source engine are used for many things, from vehicle suspension to a character looking around. In tf2 they are used for the ubersaw's ubercharge level. I thought this would be the best way for valve to control the kralle via code. Syringe_charge is just like the ubersaw's blend, as you get more ubercharge, the syringes on the claws fill up and the gauge on the control box moves to red. Claws_grasp is based off of hl2 vehicle suspension, its just the claws grasping and letting go. Claw_spin is based off of the hl2 vehicle tires spinning, as you can imagine it just makes the claw spin. I really wish there were some way to implement these animations in the model replacement version, but sadly there isn't(with out reanimating the medic arms.)

Also there are two bodygroups as well, one for the hose and claw, another for the belt. The belt bodygroup allows the belt to be turned on and off by code. The hose body group is just like the regular medigun, except instead of just removing the hose it also swaps out the claw end with an unweighted version thats fully grasped. I thought this was the best solution since valve has moved on to the c_model system for new weapons

This was the guy i was talking about; I've tried his model ingame and the replacement appears to be simply an animated idle animation, Same as mine; I have no idea what i'm doing wrong at this point.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another prop I decided to model:

renderz.png

The alignment of the knobs is bothering me pretty badly, but other than that I think it looks good. Thoughts?
  • [Square]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just another quick concept... I'm sure its been discussed in the past.
    yet again feel free to give it a go.
    Scout-Mop-Top.jpg?t=1311140983
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    don't need to re-unwrap, that is the reason why you cant touch any edges on the model that are part of a UV seam when doing lod's.

most 3d packages maya, 3ds, modo will be able to preserver the UV's fine as long as you don't move or delete anything that is part of a UV seam.

if you had to re-uv and texture there would be no benefit to lods, since the extra texture space would cost more than the reduction in polygons.

once you get a feel for doing lod's it becomes a very quick and easy thing too do.

i haven't used blender for actually modeling in a long while but i do remeber it couldn't preserve UV's, so you may need to find a other app if that is what you use.

Do you know if that applies to blender?
    If not, could you, hypothetically, unwrap an lod to fit the texture of the normal model?
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macgta wrote: »
    For reference here's my QC:

$modelname weapons/crazymachete.mdl
    $cdmaterials models/weapons/crazymachete/
    $model studio "wierdmachete_ref_tf2.smd"
    $sequence idle "wierdmachete_idle_tf2.smd" ACT_VM_IDLE 1 loop fps 30
    $definebone "weapon_bone" "weapon_bone" 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -20 0 0 180 0

Thanks for any advice provided. :)

If it makes any difference here's a video of it not working :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFH4cwUnU-Y

It's "autoplay", not loop. It'll look like:
    $sequence idle "wierdmachete_idle_tf2.smd" ACT_VM_IDLE 1 autoplay fps 30
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    When I used Blender to make LODs (for another game) I just manually collapsed edges by hand, where it will merge the UV edge as well automatically, and averages the weighting (if any). Don't collapse edges with a UV seam or you'll get an ugly undesirable UV stretch. You might also have to buff it up as you go along, you don't want to thin the mesh in the process.

Don't trust decimate/poly reduce scripts.
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, been a while since last I posted here. I'm making a new shotgun for the Engineer. It's supposed to be a heavily modified Winchester rifle (which isn't a shotgun at all, but whatevs).

Here's a quick concept sketch of it (sorry for the crappy quality, my scanner was busted):
    rifleconcept.jpg

And here's what I got so far:
    rifle_progress_1.png

It's been a really long time since I last modeled, so I'd appreciate any constructive criticism on what I have so far.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @RedSheep, ya just do what leilei said and collapse the verts together, i attempted to do it the same way i make lods in maya, and silo using blender and it just messed up the UV's, but if you do a edge slide in blender to move 2 edges over each-other and do remove doable that works, or you can use the merge commands.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There's no reason why you can't clean up the UVs once you're done LODing. You'll most likely wind up being able to cut down your mesh significantly further if you're not concerning yourself with where your UV borders are sitting. It just needs a little bit of forethought so that you don't weld yourself into some kind of irrevocable tangle
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A pistol replacement I've been working on:

ao1-1.jpg

Based off a Automag semi auto magnum. But scaled down to fit the pistols profile more.
    silhouttes.jpg

Any c&c welcome.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at first i was about to say luggermorph. then i changed my mind, and although its silhouette is similar, all pistols are quite small, and similar so one really can't complain about pistol similarities.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That really helps, thanks. I actually don't know how to use poly reducing scripts anyway, haha.
    Thank you for your assistance, passerby, leilei, and others.
    I appreciate it.

edit: @colonelbd, I think you should make the trigger guard look closer to the one on your reference. Your's is straight up and down as well as thick, while the one on your reference is thinner and the front slanted.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @ColonelBD

I like the pistol a lot, but I think the trigger gaurd is much too thick. Make it the same thickness as the pistol ftw.
  • randomteddybear
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Yes, although I'm not sure if Valve is for or against that. I'm not sure if there are any textures in TF2 that are proportioned like that. It would save on drawcalls though.

The character textures are proportioned like that(1024x2048 ). So I've done that, remade the lods, and cut it down to a 512x1024 normal map. I do however have a problem: (not the double tri-count, thats because of the cloaking parameter in the vmt)

2011072000009.jpg

For some reason the model is listing the main material two times. Is this normal, or have I screwed something up?
  • roninsmastermix
    piratesleevessample1.jpg
    Wanted to make muttons for the demo's fayse, ended up making a mutton for his sleeves. :D Crits are welcome.
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that would be great with a pack of hats and costumes :P
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    The more I see these demoman pics, the more I wish he was a pirate.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Need a little help with my AO bake, I've never actually used an AO bake but I want my TF2 stuff to be done properly :)

With my AO bake, it's registering edges more than I want it to obviously because it's a low poly model.

Do I smooth the mesh or change settings for the baking?

th_ContinuingCompleteMap.png
  • Ducksink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducksink polycounter lvl 6
    Working on this from MTS
    t9b7rt.png
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    I'd recommend working on the textures "faults" where the paint's warn in 1 direction but perfect in the other like on the bottom side near the front on the right picture

Looks unrealistic but not in style

Anyone able to help remove the "spines" from my AO bake?!?
  • Ducksink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducksink polycounter lvl 6
    I'm trying to stick to the original design.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    How do we compile STYLES?

I looked at the stovepipe vmt's, but it looks like styles must be compiled into the model as it just uses 2 skins that just swap the alpha for the colored part.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    For some reason the model is listing the main material two times. Is this normal, or have I screwed something up?

I'm not sure. Maybe you had two separate materials applied to those parts of the models still in Max but they're both pointing to the same VMT?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    A pistol replacement I've been working on:

Cool pistol, but I think it should've been a spy weapon because the caliber it uses could take down big game and make quite a mess (but he only has a chamber reload anim, not a clip reload, so uh i don't know. maybe engie would be a better choice, a scout with a powerful single traceline could be prone to exploitation)

4773623126_b825987c9f.jpg

Look at this champ!
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol leilei were is that from, there seems to be lots of him

edit:nvm tineye has prevailed
  • wealthofinsight
    Wanted to make muttons for the demo's fayse, ended up making a mutton for his sleeves. :D Crits are welcome.

Love the sleeves. Maybe add a collar, like a fluffy french collar like we've seen made for the spy from time to time. Fancy sleeves don't seem quite in place with the demoman's pajama/thermal underwear body suit.
  • Seba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A destroyed ceiling I'm making for pl_corrode; all feedback welcome.
    8WAMa.png
    uI9RC.png
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress on the shotgun:
    rifle_progress_2.png

Also, does anyone have any tips for modeling tape? Because I honestly have no clue. :(
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rebar should be way more bent out of shape. Especially the cement chunk held up by it. Make Those areas sag down under the weight. You need to twist some around too, and you probably should remove the rebar pieces that are laying on top of other rebar because a structure would never break like that.

edit:

For modeling tape you should look at some models in game such as: the bat (especially), soda popper, and the pain train. I find it really helps to look at examples.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shotgun is for the engineer, right? He doesn't have lever action animations, so are you going to give them a try yourself?

Anyway, for the dinosaur hat, here's a misc item to go with it.

1UhPt.jpg
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well no, it's supposed to be a lever-action rifle that was busted and then fixed up to be a pump-action shotgun. There's going to be tape wrapped around the lever and the stock, thus preventing it from moving. Or there would be if I knew how to model it. :/

Edit: Thanks RedSheep, I'll look into them.
  • Nzdjh
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    Attempting to help out with the Medic map...

operating_room.png

Anyone want to help texture? (just the lamp) I cannot texture to save my life...
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh:

singlefillimage-DrGTf2Victorypack.jpg

Looks like we now know what those rocket things were for. Here's hoping this is only for the Soldier. Because it's hideous. Although seeing as how there were many grockets on other maps, it wouldn't surprise me to see the other classes get similar items.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little disappointing, the unlimited ammo and the ability to disable buildings just seems overpowered, plus it would have fit alot better for the un-loved engineer
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    Ugh:

Funny, that was my first reaction as well.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda like the designs of Weta's Grordbort stuff, but I'm not sure it really fits with the style of TF2, even with the somewhat looser guidelines it's taken on recently.

Still, new Solly kit is always nice.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Either someone forgot to upload the alpha map or the people at the TF2 wiki fucked something up, because these mutton chops look quite awful...

Backpack_Lord_Cockswain%27s_Novelty_Mutton_Chops_and_Pipe.png
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    I think we have just discovered why no previous ray gun packs have never gotten into the game.

the stats are disturbing. I don't normaly voice my concern about stuff like this but I think that the game just changed a bunch.
    I wouldn't be suprised if these weapons became the weapons of player choice through and through, given the stats.
    dispenser fail?